ST tweets about Auburn football

ellitor

ST is usually right but to be honest why do we want Jimbo Fisher? The guy has a team that should be dominating teams and they are losing to NC State and nearly Va Tech last night. He looks to me to be an underacheiver considering they were predicted by many to win the NT this year.... I guess he is better than a 5-19 coach?

My thoughts as well. FSU should be king of the castle in the ACC by now. If this is the path, then just bring back Tubs.

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys need to lay off the pipe.......for real. That said, I DO like Malzahn. I just don't think he's quite ready for the Big Show just yet. IMO.

]

jimbo isnt ready for it either

nor is petrino

none of these coaches have championships

Gus Malzahn while only being a HC at a high school has championships at that level, as well as a championship as OC here

people arent thinking seriously about this, they just want some good news

thats ALL this really is, people want something to be excited about in football and in the process will end up setting our program back decades

its yall thats on the pipe! ive watched this team and other programs long enough to see where this will head

not pleased in the least

Jimbo has a NC at the OC level......same as Gus

Folks, Auburn is not in a position to attract any coach we want. Getting Jimbo will be huge for the program.

Just look at our last coaching search.

As long as we get an experienced head coach, a coach who is a proven winner, then we should be very happy. Do not dissect every record.

Folks, Auburn is not in a position to attract any coach we want. Getting Jimbo will be huge for the program.

Just look at our last coaching search.

As long as we get an experienced head coach, a coach who is a proven winner, then we should be very happy. Do not dissect every record.

You can't "look at our last coaching search". Although we went through the motions, JJ himself said that he had one man and one man only on his list and that man was Gene Chizik. There was no search.

And yes, within reason we can attract just about anybody we want, with maybe five or six exceptions. While Jimbo may not leave FSU for Auburn, there are several other promising guys out there (See Charlie Strong) that would leap at the opportunity to be Auburn's head coach.

I respect ST and he usually is right but the more I have pondered it the less it makes sense. My concerns with the Jimbo Fisher hire is this:

1) Why would he leave Florida St, because he doesn't get along with someone?? That's dumb.

2) He has to play lesser competition in the ACC

3) He has a great school for recruiting

4) He doesn't have to compete with Nick Saban

5) It would be considered a job demotion and at best a lateral move.

6) He has a huge amount of talent returning at FSU

I take it you did not read the numerous posts about FSU's financial and support problems. FSU would likely not be able to match an Auburn offer.

While I hope ST is correct, his accuracy in the past couple of years on "inside info" has been sketchy at best. Even his latest vague tweet a couple of weeks ago was a dud.

wde

That tweet never said anything would happen publicly. People just assumed it would be public.

I understand you are faithful to ST and I also think he has better than average info, but he is not "in the know".

wde

Like to know who you sources are. Hell why don't you just tell us who the HC is gonna be since you know that neither ST or P Marsh are "in the know"?

ST is more in the know than PM. I like ST and I said before, he has decent info, but there are other people on other boards that have better info now than ST and have had better info than ST in the past. I think it is great ST is tweeting info. It gives us some info to talk/post about that at least has a chance to be legit.

BTW, I don't claim to be an insider so I have no clue who the HC is going to be. I just read all of the insiders (self proclaimed and otherwise) and non-insiders rumors/facts/opinions and ultimately it will all come out in the wash who had/has good info and who does/does not.

wde

I take ALL these message board rumors with a grain of salt. At any given time, all of those claiming to have the best inside info look foolish. Not that jazzed about Jimbo though...just sayin

Without going through all of the posts in this thread, it was interesting to watch Jimbo coach on one channel and Malzahn on the other on Thurs. Who's team looked better coached?

I agree with this -- it was interesting. And Malzahn's team looked better coached to me. Gus's Arky State team took an opponent we barely beat to the woodshed. And I do believe we have better players than Arky State. This is not anti-Jimbo. I was just impressed with the way Arky State looked. Not sure about why folks are saying Gus needs more seasoning. His team looks good. He has had success as a head coach at multiple levels. This makes me think he'd be fine at Auburn.

I take ALL these message board rumors with a grain of salt. At any given time, all of those claiming to have the best inside info look foolish. Not that jazzed about Jimbo though...just sayin

You're correct. No one, and I mean no one predicted the BVG hire. If you want to prove me wrong, then show it... But no one saw that.

Without going through all of the posts in this thread, it was interesting to watch Jimbo coach on one channel and Malzahn on the other on Thurs. Who's team looked better coached?

I agree with this -- it was interesting. And Malzahn's team looked better coached to me. Gus's Arky State team took an opponent we barely beat to the woodshed. And I do believe we have better players than Arky State. This is not anti-Jimbo. I was just impressed with the way Arky State looked. Not sure about why folks are saying Gus needs more seasoning. His team looks good. He has had success as a head coach at multiple levels. This makes me think he'd be fine at Auburn.

Gus is our best hire. Not only for the long term but he is the only possiblity of having immediate continuity.

Gus is our best hire. Not only for the long term but he is the only possiblity of having immediate continuity.

I don't know if he's our best hire. I'd be happier with Gus than some of the other names I've seen thrown around. But it sure would be interesting to see the difference between how Kiehl played this year and how he would play next year under Gus.

Haha, this basically means we're letting everyone know we messed up and let the wrong guy get away. Not so ure about Gus coming back. If anything he'll go to Arkansas.

I understand some folks are complaining about Jimbo losing to teams he shouldn't lose to. Fair enough, but to say he laid an egg against NC State this year is not accurate. Florida St. lost 17-16 in a conference road game by one freaking point. Lets give NC State some credit though, they won in a very dramatic way. Florida State was winning 16-0 at the half. Florida State was winning 16-3 at the end of the third quarter. E.J. Manuel did not particularly look good in this game. We all know what bad QB play looks like. We also know what sitting on a lead looks like a la Tommy Tuberville. Run the ball, run the ball, run the ball, punt on 4th down. Chew up the clock. Well, NC State's last big upset of a Top 5 team was Florida St. in 1998. They weren't going away into the night. They scored a touchdown in the 4th quarter to inch closer. Somehow, NC State blocked a punt to get the ball back with less than 2-1/2 minutes left inside the 50. After having to convert 2 fourth downs to keep a drive alive, NC State again converts a pass again on 4th down for a touchdown to tie the game with 16 seconds left. They kick the extra point for the win. Florida State drives down the field and has the ball batted down at the end zone as time expired. Did Florida State lose? Yes, but it was one helluva game and NC State played their butts off, so give credit where credit is deserved.

For all the people who think Jimbo Fisher cannot possibly ever think about coaching in the SEC because he has lost some games in an inferior conference, keep in mind it is all about the right fit between coach, school, and conference. Let's compare Jimbo to two coaches who came from outside conferences to win big in the SEC, Les Miles & Nick Saban.

JImbo (Fl St):

2012: 9-1 (losses: NC St) (ranking: 10) (bowl: tbd) (titles: tbd)

2011: 9-4 (losses: WF, VA) (final rank: 23) (bowl: Champs Sports [w])

2010: 10-4 (losses: NC St) (final rank: 16) (bowl: Chick-fil-a [w])

Les Miles (OK. St.):

2001: 4-7 (losses: So. Miss, Mizzou, Ia St) unranked

2002: 8-5 (losses: La Tech) (bowl: Houston [w]) unranked

2003: 9-4 (losses: none bad) (bowl: Cotton [l]) unranked

2004: 7-5 (losses: none bad) (bowl: Alamo[l]) unranked

Nick Saban (Mi St):

1995: 6-5-1 (losses: none bad) (bowl: Independence [l]) unranked

1996: 6-6 (losses: louisville) (bowl: Sun [l]) unranked

1997: 7-5 (losses: Northwestern) (bowl: Aloha [l]) unranked

1998: 6-6 (losses: Oregon, Minnesota, Co. St) unranked

1999: 9-2 (losses: blowouts to Purdue, Wisconsin) (final rank: 7) (bowl:Citrus [w])

So what made Miles & Saban infinitely better coaches than their previous stops? Better recruits and resources.

Maybe, Fisher will benefit from that as well. Yes, Florida St has access to the same recruits we do, but look at our resources compared to theirs (which helps pay for better coaches and marketing):

Auburn 2009-2010 ath. dept. expenditures: 90.8 million

Florida State's 2009-10 ath dept. expend: 75.2 million

That's a huge difference. With our recruiting and resources, who knows how well Fisher will perform. All I know is his resume is equal to or exceeds Miles' and Saban's pre-SEC resumes.

For all the people who think Jimbo Fisher cannot possibly ever think about coaching in the SEC because he has lost some games in an inferior conference, keep in mind it is all about the right fit between coach, school, and conference. Let's compare Jimbo to two coaches who came from outside conferences to win big in the SEC, Les Miles & Nick Saban.

JImbo (Fl St):

2012: 9-1 (losses: NC St) (ranking: 10) (bowl: tbd) (titles: tbd)

2011: 9-4 (losses: WF, VA) (final rank: 23) (bowl: Champs Sports [w])

2010: 10-4 (losses: NC St) (final rank: 16) (bowl: Chick-fil-a [w])

Les Miles (OK. St.):

2001: 4-7 (losses: So. Miss, Mizzou, Ia St) unranked

2002: 8-5 (losses: La Tech) (bowl: Houston [w]) unranked

2003: 9-4 (losses: none bad) (bowl: Cotton [l]) unranked

2004: 7-5 (losses: none bad) (bowl: Alamo[l]) unranked

Nick Saban (Mi St):

1995: 6-5-1 (losses: none bad) (bowl: Independence [l]) unranked

1996: 6-6 (losses: louisville) (bowl: Sun [l]) unranked

1997: 7-5 (losses: Northwestern) (bowl: Aloha [l]) unranked

1998: 6-6 (losses: Oregon, Minnesota, Co. St) unranked

1999: 9-2 (losses: blowouts to Purdue, Wisconsin) (final rank: 7) (bowl:Citrus [w])

So what made Miles & Saban infinitely better coaches than their previous stops? Better recruits and resources.

Maybe, Fisher will benefit from that as well. Yes, Florida St has access to the same recruits we do, but look at our resources compared to theirs (which helps pay for better coaches and marketing):

Auburn 2009-2010 ath. dept. expenditures: 90.8 million

Florida State's 20099-10 ath dept. expend: 75.2 million

That's a huge difference. With our recruiting and resources, who knows how well Fisher will perform. All I know is his resume is equal to or exceeds Miles' and Saban's pre-SEC resumes.

Good post, 21.

Not to add gas to a raging inferno, but pleasing any fan base entirely is almost impossible. I jut hope they get the right guy with the right tools and attitude to turn this thing around.

I understand some folks are complaining about Jimbo losing to teams he shouldn't lose to. Fair enough, but to say he laid an egg against NC State this year is not accurate. Florida St. lost 17-16 in a conference road game by one freaking point. Lets give NC State some credit though, they won in a very dramatic way. Florida State was winning 16-0 at the half. Florida State was winning 16-3 at the end of the third quarter. E.J. Manuel did not particularly look good in this game. We all know what bad QB play looks like. We also know what sitting on a lead looks like a la Tommy Tuberville. Run the ball, run the ball, run the ball, punt on 4th down. Chew up the clock. Well, NC State's last big upset of a Top 5 team was Florida St. in 1998. They weren't going away into the night. They scored a touchdown in the 4th quarter to inch closer. Somehow, NC State blocked a punt to get the ball back with less than 2-1/2 minutes left inside the 50. After having to convert 2 fourth downs to keep a drive alive, NC State again converts a pass again on 4th down for a touchdown to tie the game with 16 seconds left. They kick the extra point for the win. Florida State drives down the field and has the ball batted down at the end zone as time expired. Did Florida State lose? Yes, but it was one helluva game and NC State played their butts off, so give credit where credit is deserved.

No matter how you paint it FSU had no business losing to NC State. I dont there are any players on NC St's roster that FSU even bothered recruiting. Why do you think Fl St is ranked lower than UGA? UGA was blown out in their loss. FSU only lost by one. But the rest of the story is that UGA lost to a very good USCe team and FSU lost to NC St. At the end of the day there is no excuse.

Maybe its just me but I just don't get all the hype for Jimbo Fisher. IMO he is a average HC from

what he has done with FSU. He has recruited very well but he has not gotten the full value out of his

high star recruits either. My main problem is he has not proven anything as the HC in a lesser

conference with sec talent on his team. So WHY should or would he be any better at AU? just my $.02

Maybe its just me but I just don't get all the hype for Jimbo Fisher. IMO he is a average HC from

what he has done with FSU. He has recruited very well but he has not gotten the full value out of his

high star recruits either. My main problem is he has not proven anything as the HC in a lesser

conference with sec talent on his team. So WHY should or would he be any better at AU? just my $.02

How has he not proven anything? FSU consistenly has a top notched defense and has rebounded nicely over the last decade from the closing years of Bowden when they were shht. He's 9-1 right now in his 3rd year as head coach. I'd love to have Jimbo.

Also, a one loss FSU team (ACC) is ranked behind a 2 loss LSU team and 2 loss South Carolina team. If Jimbo was at Auburn (SEC team) with a 1 loss Auburn team we'd be near the top 5 right now. Look at the rankings.

All you guys downing the ACC... put Auburn in there this year and they would have a similar record. Where does this sense of entitlement come from when a top 10 coach on his way to a BCS bowl isn't good enough to take over a team that won't win a single conference game?

All you guys downing the ACC... put Auburn in there this year and they would have a similar record. Where does this sense of entitlement come from when a top 10 coach on his way to a BCS bowl isn't good enough to take over a team that won't win a single conference game?

Pretty sure they can't get Saban out of their mind and think logically.

Archived