Malzahn the likely replacement

Rednilla

To clarify (from Mayor... his info, not opinion),

If JJ gets fired before a hire is annouced it will be Jeff Fisher.

Otherwise, it could still be JF and JJ gets terminated later or GM/BP. JF is target #1. He wants the job. Les Snead/AD is a big bargaining point.

The scuttlebutt about NCAA investigation is obviously being used by opponents of JJ to get him out. He apparently is tight with Dr Gouge. My guess is that it will take some serious pressure from the board.

My opinion... if this remains unsettled through next week end, don't think for a minute that what Bama does in the SECCG may not effect the balance in terms of financing and leverage. All 3 of these guys want the job, there is no reason to believe otherwise. I image they all 3 think a turn around can be swift (GM has said as much last week).

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh and if Gus comes on board we will probably be stuck with Frazier at QB again..... Proven recipe for failure!

Same thing i said about Gus and KF. Gus hand picked KF. How is he working out? Even if KF runs the spread I don't see him getting that much better. He looks scared and timid playing against guys in the SEC. If Gus can't pick a QB what do people think he is going to do to the defense? Gus should be towards the bottom of the list. I don't even want him on the list!

I'm not sure Tom Brady, oh sorry, Tommy Brady could make Loeffler look competent. Seriously, how can you judge a QB with the retarded mess of play calling we had this year. I award your post no points.

I don't give 2 s(#$!@ about your points. If KF was as good as advertised he would have shown SOME kind of signs that he would be a good QB regardless of the play calling and offense ran. There were no signs what so ever he can even run Gus's spread which he was bought in to do! KF still has to go through his reads...he still has to show leadership...he still has to exhibit no fear in whatever offense he runs! He is NOT built for the SEC in any capacity..spread or pro.

Angry.

When people make idiotic statements....

Wow. The ignorance on internet message boards is staggering. Nobody knows if Gus would be successful as HC at Auburn. But he has been very successful at every single place he has ever coached. In his first year as a HC he is about to win the Sunbelt in a year when it is probably the most competitive that it has been in many years. La Monroe, La. Lafayette, Middle Tennessee, Western KY, Troy, all pretty strong, competitive teams.

PLEASE PLEASE quit spouting stupid crap like "we need a proven winner!"

What does that mean!?!?!?! Dan Hawkins? He won 10 games five years in a row at Boise State. Then went on to absolutely suck at COlorado. Jeff Fisher!?!? He has a .543 winning % in the NFL. Mike Sherman had a .548 winning %. How'd that work out for Texas A&M. I guess we are way better than Oklahoma, Florida, FSU, Louisville, Oky State, Oregon, Washington Georgia, etc. Because they ALL hired talented coordinators that went on to be great HC's.

Kevin Sumlin would not have qualified as a proven winner. Had one great season at Houston with 3 mediocre seasons. Petrino has NEVER beat the elite teams. Period. His incredible offenses average LESS THAN 250 yds against LSU and Bama the last few years. Plus he is practically un-hirable due to his complete lack of professional ethics that put his former University in an absolutely horrible predicament.

Gus has always struck me as an incredibly smart coach that would be a solid hire for any program.

Oh and if Gus comes on board we will probably be stuck with Frazier at QB again..... Proven recipe for failure!

Same thing i said about Gus and KF. Gus hand picked KF. How is he working out? Even if KF runs the spread I don't see him getting that much better. He looks scared and timid playing against guys in the SEC. If Gus can't pick a QB what do people think he is going to do to the defense? Gus should be towards the bottom of the list. I don't even want him on the list!

I'm not sure Tom Brady, oh sorry, Tommy Brady could make Loeffler look competent. Seriously, how can you judge a QB with the retarded mess of play calling we had this year. I award your post no points.

I don't give 2 s(#$!@ about your points. If KF was as good as advertised he would have shown SOME kind of signs that he would be a good QB regardless of the play calling and offense ran. There were no signs what so ever he can even run Gus's spread which he was bought in to do! KF still has to go through his reads...he still has to show leadership...he still has to exhibit no fear in whatever offense he runs! He is NOT built for the SEC in any capacity..spread or pro.

Angry.

blah, blah, blah no fear in whatever offense he runs. WTF does that mean? We are loaded up and down with 4 and 5 star players and they all suck right? OR. Big OR here. OR the coaching staff was completely incompetent and didn't have the first clue how to develop players. Not saying Frazier is Cam 2.0 but I would like to see him play in an offense that has some semblance of coordination.

Gus was advised by Pat Dye and JJ to find another job in the locker room after the 2011 Iron Bowl. Very humilisting. He will not be back as Lon as JJ is around.

Sounds like bammer talk to me. In fact, the only other person I heard this from is, in fact, a bammer.

It is amazing how many Auburn people repeat bammer propaganda.

Otherwise, it could still be JF and JJ gets terminated later or GM/BP. JF is target #1. He wants the job. Les Snead/AD is a big bargaining point.

The scuttlebutt about NCAA investigation is obviously being used by opponents of JJ to get him out. He apparently is tight with Dr Gouge. My guess is that it will take some serious pressure from the board.

My opinion... if this remains unsettled through next week end, don't think for a minute that what Bama does in the SECCG may not effect the balance in terms of financing and leverage. All 3 of these guys want the job, there is no reason to believe otherwise. I image they all 3 think a turn around can be swift (GM has said as much last week).

* So, Jeff Fisher (of the Rams) wants this job?

* If JJ is still here, it will be Bobby or Gus?

* What did Gus say last week?

Thanks.

Thanks Max! Good stuff right there. I just hope we make the right decision, whatever that may be.

Regardless of how a kid is in HS, they still have to be coached up. Based on the fact that none of the kids on the team showed any signs of coaching, I'd say KF played up to par for the team. But to judge only one of the players based on their play this year instead of the entire team effort is ridiculous.

All that being said, KF never learned from his mistakes. He continuously watched the rush instead of keeping eyes downfield. However, at the same time, what receiver could consistently get open. NONE! Blake was the best we had but hardly could get open when double covered.

Lastly, I'll withhold opinion on any of these kids potential simply because they were not coached. We know they played poorly, but is it because they aren't good or haven't been coached up? Everyone had a dropoff, and the only reason AU had 30 wins in the 3 seasons Malzahn was there, was because Malzahn was there. Period.

Angry.

blah, blah, blah no fear in whatever offense he runs. WTF does that mean? We are loaded up and down with 4 and 5 star players and they all suck right? OR. Big OR here. OR the coaching staff was completely incompetent and didn't have the first clue how to develop players. Not saying Frazier is Cam 2.0 but I would like to see him play in an offense that has some semblance of coordination.

It means that KF was scared sh(tless as QB even when SL did put him in the shotgun and the only accurate ball he threw was the deep ball. How many times was he sacked? Even JW did some good things in SL's offense and he is a spread guy too! LOL. You people are funny. Fire Chiz and hire somebody like Gus! lol. Even slime ball JJ stated how bad the entire team is when it comes to development and fundamentals. Name a team other than a High School team that Gus has developed? Please....hiring Gus is the same as hiring Chiz. They should've keep Chiz if they go out and get Gus.

Angry.

It means that KF was scared sh(tless as QB even when SL did put him in the shotgun and the only accurate ball he threw was the deep ball. How many times was he sacked? Even JW did some good things in SL's offense and he is a spread guy too! LOL. You people are funny. Fire Chiz and hire somebody like Gus! lol. Even slime ball JJ stated how bad the entire team is when it comes to development and fundamentals. Name a team other than a High School team that Gus has developed? Please....hiring Gus is the same as hiring Chiz. They should've keep Chiz if they go out and get Gus.

^^^ 83' gets it! ^^^

Angry.

Good thing your opinion is just that

Regardless of how a kid is in HS, they still have to be coached up. Based on the fact that none of the kids on the team showed any signs of coaching, I'd say KF played up to par for the team. But to judge only one of the players based on their play this year instead of the entire team effort is ridiculous.

All that being said, KF never learned from his mistakes. He continuously watched the rush instead of keeping eyes downfield. However, at the same time, what receiver could consistently get open. NONE! Blake was the best we had but hardly could get open when double covered.

Lastly, I'll withhold opinion on how any of these kids performed simply because they were not coached. Everyone had a dropoff, and the only reason AU had 30 wins in the 3 seasons Malzahn was there, was because Malzahn was there. Period.

lol. If Gus was so great..why hasn't he been considered for any other major school besides Vandy? If is is such a genius? Gus had a part in the winning no doubt but i think his contributions are being over hyped behind the fact that he had a once in a lifetime great QB and DEVELOPED and experienced players on O and D by Tubbs...not Chiz or him. What team has Gus developed?

Angry.

Good thing your opinion is just that

Yours too! lol

Lastly, I'll withhold opinion on how any of these kids performed simply because they were not coached. Everyone had a dropoff, and the only reason AU had 30 wins in the 3 seasons Malzahn was there, was because Malzahn was there. Period.

lol. If Gus was so great..why hasn't he been considered for any other major school besides Vandy? If is is such a genius? Gus had a part in the winning no doubt but i think his contributions are being over hyped behind the fact that he had a once in a lifetime great QB and DEVELOPED and experienced players on O and D by Tubbs...not Chiz or him. What team has Gus developed?

Take a step back....Go grab a drink, come back and reread my post. Where in it did I call Gus great? Only thing I said was he is responsible for the 30 wins over the three years he was there. If it wasn't him, then who else. Certainly not Roof nor the defense as an entire group. So who else? Cam? Sure that may be the majority, but if Cam was being coached by Loeffler? Completely different game.

Same thing was said by clueless fans about Campbell. Most QB need a few years to adjust to the college game. KF didn't even get a red-shirt year like he should have gotten. The truth is if we had run an option attack this year we might have had more success on offense. The coaches tried to run a "Pro-style" offense with spread talent, Blame is 100% on the coaches for the inept offense.

Provided Jacobs is retained, as it appears he will be, Malzahn will most likely be the next head coach at Auburn. Per AUSportTalk

I'd take that quite happily. Gus Malzahn is gonna be a good one and for a long time. I'd love to have him at AU.

Petrino has the motorcycle wreck baggage.

Gus has his really unusual wife baggage.

There is no perfect replacement.

Hire the best d@mn football coach and not someone who is a choir boy.

The "unusual wife" baggage is an edited fiction created by a damn bammer.

According to bleacher report top two odds on replacing GC is Jimbo Fisher and Charlie Strong

So we know what BR is saying. How about The National Enquirer or the Weekly World News?

Angry.

Now we're talking football. Bu first things first- JJ is a moron. I don't know that Gus will be a good head coach and I'm not calling for his hire. I like Jimbo and I like Petrino (well, don't LIKE Petrino but the man can coach) I do like the spread because I think Auburn can't recruit against ND, Oklahoma and Southern Cal. I think a hit em where they aint offense is for us. I'm ok with Malzahn and I'm ok with Fisher and I'm ok with Petrino. I want to see discipline and accountability back in the clubhouse. My only points here were that I think it may be premature to judge KF on this bloody turd of a season. We never had more than 3 receivers out and mostly threw on 3rd and long. How can you ask a qb to be successful with that mess? He may not be the answer but with a disciplined, well coached team I'm willing to take a look.

We're on the same team '83 and want the same thing. Let's not kick each other in the shins because we talk about it in slightly different terms. War Eagle.

Everybody is caught up in the numbers that Gus put on smaller and weaker SEC teams. He was shut down consistently by the teams with better defenses and his continuous fast pace three and outs led to a tired defense. Take away his 2010 with Cam and in 2009, he was shut down and held to 14 points in a loss to Kentucky (Not your SEC powerhouse by the way) and was held to 16 points by a Bobby Petrino Arkansas team ( We all know Petrino doesn't do defense) and scored a late garbage touchdown to lose 44-23. We got killed by LSU that year because of quick three and outs and they wore us down. Gus did manage to keep us in a low scoring loss to a 8-5 Georgia that year and had to use gimmick plays to score on Alabama in a game in which defense played some dominate football in shutting down Ingram. In 2011, the defense became softer and weaker and the amount of three and outs led to more blowouts. Fact is, everybody loves his high powered offenses when playing against lesser talent but fail to see how it hurts when playing against better defenses. This is the SEC and the better athletes are mostly on defense. Sure he will give us a chance to consistently beat Ole Miss, MSU, Kentucky, Vanderbilt and other weak teams but his offense does not fit in the SEC to beat and compete with the best teams and to win championships. And you are not guaranteed a Cam or Johnny Football every year so why take a chance on him. Look at who is always the top of the SEC divisions. (Alabama, LSU, Georgia, and Florida) They all have very good and physical defenses. We already have a soft defense and his offense only makes a defense softer. Even with Tuberville's players in 2008, (take away Iron Bowl blowout in which team was overmatched as Tubs was on way out) we played physical defense and until we get someone who pushes for physicalness on the defensive side of the ball, we will continue to get softer. Gus's offense is made for Conference USA and the Sun Belt in which he can put up numbers and play teams that don't have the best athletes on the field. We need an offensive that can be versatile in smash mouth and spreading the field with a lateral passing game. Gus is fast paced all the time and we can not afford him to put the defense in a hole with three and outs. If Gus is hired, I feel that we will be in the same position three or four years from now at the bottom of the SEC. Despite what many believe, Gus is not that good of a recruiter and can not maintain upper level talent. We do have some very good talent and need someone that can maintain. But if everyone just wants to beat the weaker teams and go toe to toe with Kentucky, Vandy, and the Miss schools, then Gus is your man. His offense is too gimmicky and flat when not working and he is not proven enough to be a big time SEC coach. Gus is a safe pick and every Auburn fan knows that this is not the time for the safe pick. We need a coach with a proven record at big time program to lead us back to winning championships.

According to bleacher report top two odds on replacing GC is Jimbo Fisher and Charlie Strong

So we know what BR is saying. How about The National Enquirer or the Weekly World News?

Amen!

Everybody is caught up in the numbers that Gus put on smaller and weaker SEC teams. He was shut down consistently by the teams with better defenses and his continuous fast pace three and outs led to a tired defense. Take away his 2010 with Cam and in 2009, he was shut down and held to 14 points in a loss to Kentucky (Not your SEC powerhouse by the way) and was held to 16 points by a Bobby Petrino Arkansas team ( We all know Petrino doesn't do defense) and scored a late garbage touchdown to lose 44-23. We got killed by LSU that year because of quick three and outs and they wore us down. Gus did manage to keep us in a low scoring loss to a 8-5 Georgia that year and had to use gimmick plays to score on Alabama in a game in which defense played some dominate football in shutting down Ingram. In 2011, the defense became softer and weaker and the amount of three and outs led to more blowouts. Fact is, everybody loves his high powered offenses when playing against lesser talent but fail to see how it hurts when playing against better defenses. This is the SEC and the better athletes are mostly on defense. Sure he will give us a chance to consistently beat Ole Miss, MSU, Kentucky, Vanderbilt and other weak teams but his offense does not fit in the SEC to beat and compete with the best teams and to win championships. And you are not guaranteed a Cam or Johnny Football every year so why take a chance on him. Look at who is always the top of the SEC divisions. (Alabama, LSU, Georgia, and Florida) They all have very good and physical defenses. We already have a soft defense and his offense only makes a defense softer. Even with Tuberville's players in 2008, (take away Iron Bowl blowout in which team was overmatched as Tubs was on way out) we played physical defense and until we get someone who pushes for physicalness on the defensive side of the ball, we will continue to get softer. Gus's offense is made for Conference USA and the Sun Belt in which he can put up numbers and play teams that don't have the best athletes on the field. We need an offensive that can be versatile in smash mouth and spreading the field with a lateral passing game. Gus is fast paced all the time and we can not afford him to put the defense in a hole with three and outs. If Gus is hired, I feel that we will be in the same position three or four years from now at the bottom of the SEC. Despite what many believe, Gus is not that good of a recruiter and can not maintain upper level talent. We do have some very good talent and need someone that can maintain. But if everyone just wants to beat the weaker teams and go toe to toe with Kentucky, Vandy, and the Miss schools, then Gus is your man. His offense is too gimmicky and flat when not working and he is not proven enough to be a big time SEC coach. Gus is a safe pick and every Auburn fan knows that this is not the time for the safe pick. We need a coach with a proven record at big time program to lead us back to winning championships.

Great post!

***Take the time to read***

Take a step back....Go grab a drink, come back and reread my post. Where in it did I call Gus great? Only thing I said was he is responsible for the 30 wins over the three years he was there. If it wasn't him, then who else. Certainly not Roof nor the defense as an entire group. So who else? Cam? Sure that may be the majority, but if Cam was being coached by Loeffler? Completely different game.

If he is responsible for 30 wins like you say....how could he not be declared great? lol. Those wins came from a combination of Gus, Cam, Nick, the offensive line, good leadership in gus like Kodi Burns and a group of guys who where developed under Tubbs. Anybody not wearing goggles can see that.

Cam could've have won with just about any coach who has the sense to just give him the d!mn ball and let him do is thing. And that is what Gus did. It wasn't that hard when you have a good O Line like we did and combine it with Cam. Even with Cam....we missed out on many scoring opportunities with Gus's play calling and gimmicky plays. Some may want to go back and watch tape b/c Gus is getting way too much credit for those wins.

What do you mean? How do you want things?

He means that he wishes everyone took certain people's dogma and followed along unquestioning like a good sheep. Sorta like a cult.

Why are you so angry toward AE?

Archived