Malzahn the likely replacement

Rednilla

Everybody is caught up in the numbers that Gus put on smaller and weaker SEC teams. He was shut down consistently by the teams with better defenses and his continuous fast pace three and outs led to a tired defense. Take away his 2010 with Cam and in 2009, he was shut down and held to 14 points in a loss to Kentucky (Not your SEC powerhouse by the way) and was held to 16 points by a Bobby Petrino Arkansas team ( We all know Petrino doesn't do defense) and scored a late garbage touchdown to lose 44-23. We got killed by LSU that year because of quick three and outs and they wore us down. Gus did manage to keep us in a low scoring loss to a 8-5 Georgia that year and had to use gimmick plays to score on Alabama in a game in which defense played some dominate football in shutting down Ingram. In 2011, the defense became softer and weaker and the amount of three and outs led to more blowouts. Fact is, everybody loves his high powered offenses when playing against lesser talent but fail to see how it hurts when playing against better defenses. This is the SEC and the better athletes are mostly on defense. Sure he will give us a chance to consistently beat Ole Miss, MSU, Kentucky, Vanderbilt and other weak teams but his offense does not fit in the SEC to beat and compete with the best teams and to win championships. And you are not guaranteed a Cam or Johnny Football every year so why take a chance on him. Look at who is always the top of the SEC divisions. (Alabama, LSU, Georgia, and Florida) They all have very good and physical defenses. We already have a soft defense and his offense only makes a defense softer. Even with Tuberville's players in 2008, (take away Iron Bowl blowout in which team was overmatched as Tubs was on way out) we played physical defense and until we get someone who pushes for physicalness on the defensive side of the ball, we will continue to get softer. Gus's offense is made for Conference USA and the Sun Belt in which he can put up numbers and play teams that don't have the best athletes on the field. We need an offensive that can be versatile in smash mouth and spreading the field with a lateral passing game. Gus is fast paced all the time and we can not afford him to put the defense in a hole with three and outs. If Gus is hired, I feel that we will be in the same position three or four years from now at the bottom of the SEC. Despite what many believe, Gus is not that good of a recruiter and can not maintain upper level talent. We do have some very good talent and need someone that can maintain. But if everyone just wants to beat the weaker teams and go toe to toe with Kentucky, Vandy, and the Miss schools, then Gus is your man. His offense is too gimmicky and flat when not working and he is not proven enough to be a big time SEC coach. Gus is a safe pick and every Auburn fan knows that this is not the time for the safe pick. We need a coach with a proven record at big time program to lead us back to winning championships.

Great post!

***Take the time to read***

So we should try to match up man for man with teams like bama, LSU and florida? no dice

This post pretty much describes it about Gus.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote name=tigerjeffm' timestamp='1353877373' post='1746

820]

Auburn will continue to get their asses handed to them by Nick Saban if Malzahn in the head coach. JJ has to go. If he is retained, mediocrity or worse is all we have to look forward to in all major sports

Who HAS been able to match up with Saban? It was a Malzahn offense in 09 that almost knocked off UAT and it was a Malzahn O in 2010 that fought back for a 28-27 win wasn't it? Are we going to lure Les Miles away? He is part of a short list of coaches who have been competitive.

I agree 100%... After seeing this season and the chiz two years at Iowa state, it is obvious to me that Gus won the title in 2010. If not Gus who? Chiz? Roof?

Would love to see Gus back!!

Oh and if Gus comes on board we will probably be stuck with Frazier at QB again..... Proven recipe for failure!

Same thing i said about Gus and KF. Gus hand picked KF. How is he working out? Even if KF runs the spread I don't see him getting that much better. He looks scared and timid playing against guys in the SEC. If Gus can't pick a QB what do people think he is going to do to the defense? Gus should be towards the bottom of the list. I don't even want him on the list!

I'm not sure Tom Brady, oh sorry, Tommy Brady could make Loeffler look competent. Seriously, how can you judge a QB with the retarded mess of play calling we had this year. I award your post no points.

I don't give 2 s(#$!@ about your points. If KF was as good as advertised he would have shown SOME kind of signs that he would be a good QB regardless of the play calling and offense ran. There were no signs what so ever he can even run Gus's spread which he was bought in to do! KF still has to go through his reads...he still has to show leadership...he still has to exhibit no fear in whatever offense he runs! He is NOT built for the SEC in any capacity..spread or pro.

Angry.

blah, blah, blah no fear in whatever offense he runs. WTF does that mean? We are loaded up and down with 4 and 5 star players and they all suck right? OR. Big OR here. OR the coaching staff was completely incompetent and didn't have the first clue how to develop players. Not saying Frazier is Cam 2.0 but I would like to see him play in an offense that has some semblance of coordination.

It means that KF was scared sh(tless as QB even when SL did put him in the shotgun and the only accurate ball he threw was the deep ball. How many times was he sacked? Even JW did some good things in SL's offense and he is a spread guy too! LOL. You people are funny. Fire Chiz and hire somebody like Gus! lol. Even slime ball JJ stated how bad the entire team is when it comes to development and fundamentals. Name a team other than a High School team that Gus has developed? Please....hiring Gus is the same as hiring Chiz. They should've keep Chiz if they go out and get Gus.

Now we're talking football. Bu first things first- JJ is a moron. I don't know that Gus will be a good head coach and I'm not calling for his hire. I like Jimbo and I like Petrino (well, don't LIKE Petrino but the man can coach) I do like the spread because I think Auburn can't recruit against ND, Oklahoma and Southern Cal. I think a hit em where they aint offense is for us. I'm ok with Malzahn and I'm ok with Fisher and I'm ok with Petrino. I want to see discipline and accountability back in the clubhouse. My only points here were that I think it may be premature to judge KF on this bloody turd of a season. We never had more than 3 receivers out and mostly threw on 3rd and long. How can you ask a qb to be successful with that mess? He may not be the answer but with a disciplined, well coached team I'm willing to take a look.

We're on the same team '83 and want the same thing. Let's not kick each other in the shins because we talk about it in slightly different terms. War Eagle.

I'm not kicking anyone shins. I just don't understand the logic behind Gus being at the top of many fans coaching list and even the Admin's list it that is true when there is certainly much more better HC talent out there and they have at least proved that they can develop an entire team. Going with Gus is going backwards from Chiz. Gus is a high school coach with 3 years of D1 coaching experience. He hasn't stayed anywhere long enough to say and show that he can truely develop a team. Sorry but Arky St doesn't count. I would take the ULM coach over Gus's resume. Yes, it did some good things at Auburn but I think he is getting way too much credit for that and if some people would take off their blinders and really look at his resume there is no way he should be at the top of our list.

IMO the reason that KF can be evaluated more than other players at other positions is b/c he is a QB who has started games. The QB touches the ball on EVERY single play and is in the game in every situation. Yes, our OL, WRs, and SL were horrible but still with all of that...there should be some signs that KF has what it takes to run an offense if he was put with the right coach and offense system. I saw nothing that would make me think he could even run Gus's offense. JW did! JW did some nice things even with all those things going against him...that's what I'm talking about. At least JW showed some signs....KF simply did not. Doesn't mean he will not but it's like people think Gus is magically going to come in and KF is going to turn into this outstanding QB all of a sudden after showing no signs he has what it takes. We shall see...not angry at all..just trying to understand the logic that's all.

JW showed signs against NMST and Alabama A&M. He looked as bad vs SEC teams as the other 2 QBs and a lot of it had to do with poor OL play.

And how did KF do? Like i said I don't want either but would take JW before KF

He used gimmick plays to almost beat Bama in 09 but remember the defense that put in a monumental effort in shutting down their run game. He had Cam in 2010 in which they made plays in second half for comeback. If you remember we opened up with about 4 consecutive three and outs which led to their 24 points. I will give you that year but look at 2011 when we got blown out because Saban shut his gimmick offense down. If Arkansas doesn't hire him and that is his dream job, then why in the hell would we hire him?

Gus will not be the new head coach here. All you have to do is look at Jay Jacobs three criteria and the sources that are all screaming out right now. Bobby Petrino will be our next head football coach, if you guys have a problem with that, then tough. We tried the choir boy route with Chizik, it's time for a real football coach. (Every legitimate source outside of this ST guy who has been WRONG on every prediction he has made so far, is screaming that Bobby Petrino will be our next head coach.

Gus Malzahn would be a great hire. He is a great coach and a great man. Why so much dislike for Gus? If he becomes the HC at an SEC school you will see how good he really is.

1. Gus took a young 2011 team and got 8 wins out of them. We lose Gus and a more talented 2012 team wins only 3 games....Gus was the difference! Very similar to Arkansas' downfall with the loss of Petrino.

2. What offensive coordinator could have done better with Trotter and Mosley as the only QB options in 2011? Not Petrino! Gus also did well with Chris Todd in 2009. (Todd holds the Auburn single season touchdown record!)

3. Gus has more than 1 year of head coaching exp...He won three state championships as a high school head coach. And yes coaching, motivating, and leading 15-18 yr old high school boys to play at a championship level is not much different than leading 18-23 yr old boys to play at a high level.

4. Gus is very qualify to clean house at Auburn because he has seen the problems first hand.

Gus was the bright spot of Chizik's time at Auburn and he was handcuffed by Chizik during his time here. He beat Saban in 2010 and almost beat Saban in 2009 (26-21, Alabama went on to win the NC).

People are saying Gus was part of the problem? I know we are upset about this season but don't start blaming Gus...

Gus is more proven than at the college level than Jeff Fisher.

Gus is as good of an offensive mind as Bobby Petrino.

Gus is a better offensive mind than Jimbo Fisher. FSU is winning because of their Mark Stoops run Defense, not because of a powerful offense.

on the money!!

Really? I hope u guys r joking about him being a better offensive mind than BP, I got one question when Gus was at AU, where were the quick slants, skinney post?

Gus does not like recruiting. For that reason alone, he will not be the next HC.

Your posts are idiotic....seriously. .. he RECRUITED one of the best qbs to ever play in college. .. your posts since you've been here have all been diarrhea of the mouth ... claiming to be some "insider" please. ... posting opinions on a message board us one thing but posting moronic statements claiming to be facts is another

Gus does not like recruiting. For that reason alone, he will not be the next HC.

Your posts are idiotic....seriously. .. he RECRUITED one of the best qbs to ever play in college. .. your posts since you've been here have all been diarrhea of the mouth since you've been on this board... claiming to be some "insider" please. ... posting opinions on a message board us one thing but posting moronic statements claiming to be facts is another

Gus' disdain for recruiting is well known. Gus did not recruit Cam - if that's who you are referring to - Luper convinced Chizik to bring Cam on board. You point out nothing factual about my posts that are untrue.

Everybody is caught up in the numbers that Gus put on smaller and weaker SEC teams. He was shut down consistently by the teams with better defenses and his continuous fast pace three and outs led to a tired defense. Take away his 2010 with Cam and in 2009, he was shut down and held to 14 points in a loss to Kentucky (Not your SEC powerhouse by the way) and was held to 16 points by a Bobby Petrino Arkansas team ( We all know Petrino doesn't do defense) and scored a late garbage touchdown to lose 44-23. We got killed by LSU that year because of quick three and outs and they wore us down. Gus did manage to keep us in a low scoring loss to a 8-5 Georgia that year and had to use gimmick plays to score on Alabama in a game in which defense played some dominate football in shutting down Ingram. In 2011, the defense became softer and weaker and the amount of three and outs led to more blowouts. Fact is, everybody loves his high powered offenses when playing against lesser talent but fail to see how it hurts when playing against better defenses. This is the SEC and the better athletes are mostly on defense. Sure he will give us a chance to consistently beat Ole Miss, MSU, Kentucky, Vanderbilt and other weak teams but his offense does not fit in the SEC to beat and compete with the best teams and to win championships. And you are not guaranteed a Cam or Johnny Football every year so why take a chance on him. Look at who is always the top of the SEC divisions. (Alabama, LSU, Georgia, and Florida) They all have very good and physical defenses. We already have a soft defense and his offense only makes a defense softer. Even with Tuberville's players in 2008, (take away Iron Bowl blowout in which team was overmatched as Tubs was on way out) we played physical defense and until we get someone who pushes for physicalness on the defensive side of the ball, we will continue to get softer. Gus's offense is made for Conference USA and the Sun Belt in which he can put up numbers and play teams that don't have the best athletes on the field. We need an offensive that can be versatile in smash mouth and spreading the field with a lateral passing game. Gus is fast paced all the time and we can not afford him to put the defense in a hole with three and outs. If Gus is hired, I feel that we will be in the same position three or four years from now at the bottom of the SEC. Despite what many believe, Gus is not that good of a recruiter and can not maintain upper level talent. We do have some very good talent and need someone that can maintain. But if everyone just wants to beat the weaker teams and go toe to toe with Kentucky, Vandy, and the Miss schools, then Gus is your man. His offense is too gimmicky and flat when not working and he is not proven enough to be a big time SEC coach. Gus is a safe pick and every Auburn fan knows that this is not the time for the safe pick. We need a coach with a proven record at big time program to lead us back to winning championships.

Great post!

So we should try to match up man for man with teams like bama, LSU and florida? no dice

Are you saying we can't man up and recruit with Bama, LSU, and Florida? According to rankings, we have been pretty close except our players haven't been developed. So yeah, we can man up against those teams.

Your posts are idiotic....seriously. .. he RECRUITED one of the best qbs to ever play in college. .. your posts since you've been here have all been diarrhea of the mouth ... claiming to be some "insider" please. ... posting opinions on a message board us one thing but posting moronic statements claiming to be facts is another

Your posts are idiotic....seriously. .. he RECRUITED one of the best qbs to ever play in college. .. your posts since you've been here have all been diarrhea of the mouth since you've been on this board... claiming to be some "insider" please. ... posting opinions on a message board us one thing but posting moronic statements claiming to be facts is another

Gus' disdain for recruiting is well known. Gus did not recruit Cam - if that's who you are referring to - Luper convinced Chizik to bring Cam on board. You point out nothing factual about my posts that are untrue.

Haha mmk... just go listen to ol' pawl some more to give us some info then

Tell me one thing I have said that is incorrect. I find it amusing that you thought Gus recruited Cam. That speaks volumes. Bottom line - recruiting is half the game these days, and Gus is well known not to like recruiting. Accordingly, he will not likely be AU's next HC.

The thing that always sticks in the back of my mind about Malzahn is Cam Newton. Under Malzahn's tutelage, he led the sec in rushing. Before the draft, every scout said the same things about him: poor mechanics, a qb that thrived in a gimmicky system, never was responsible to make more than 2 reads. He goes to the nfl and has the greatest passing season for a rookie in history. And his qb coach was Mike Shula! Why wasn't Cam throwing for 4,000 yards at Auburn? Why didn't Malzahn recognize his arm talent? And if Malzahn didn't recognize Cam's full ability, can we hope he recognizes it in someone else?

Wasn't Gus' dream job Arkansas? With it being open, wouldn't he take it over Auburn?

Arkansas is shooting bigger. Petersen, Patterson, Gundy

Is Auburn not the bigger job?

I would stay away from Boise coaches...see Hawkins and Koetter, they both left Boise and flamed out. Not to say Petersen would do the same, just historically their coaches have failed when hired at BCS schools. As for Gundy, does he even prepare his team defensively...Patterson, I can see...

Hawkins left and people realized who the true brains were when Peterson took over. Peterson is the best coach in the country, and we'd be fools not to try and hire him.

Could that some logic be applied to Chizik and Malzahn???

He used gimmick plays to almost beat Bama in 09 but remember the defense that put in a monumental effort in shutting down their run game. He had Cam in 2010 in which they made plays in second half for comeback. If you remember we opened up with about 4 consecutive three and outs which led to their 24 points. I will give you that year but look at 2011 when we got blown out because Saban shut his gimmick offense down. If Arkansas doesn't hire him and that is his dream job, then why in the hell would we hire him?

That's what i keep asking but no one is yet to get an answer. Guess logic doesn't count for anything these days. lol.

Is Malzahn the best AU can do? Can he compete for the SEC West title every year?

Take out 2010 and he was part of a 16-10 record that lost to Arkansas, LSU, UGA and Bama...

Great post!

^^^^Exactly^^^^ Texas A&M would beg to differ that the spread can't work in this league. So would Urban Meyer's 2 national championship teams. Saban wouldn't be complaining about the HUNH spread attacks if it didn't give his traditional teams fits.

This is very true. I don't think many read Chiz's book....Chiz said himself who recruited Cam

The thing that always sticks in the back of my mind about Malzahn is Cam Newton. Under Malzahn's tutelage, he led the sec in rushing. Before the draft, every scout said the same things about him: poor mechanics, a qb that thrived in a gimmicky system, never was responsible to make more than 2 reads. He goes to the nfl and has the greatest passing season for a rookie in history. And his qb coach was Mike Shula! Why wasn't Cam throwing for 4,000 yards at Auburn? Why didn't Malzahn recognize his arm talent? And if Malzahn didn't recognize Cam's full ability, can we hope he recognizes it in someone else?

I recall Todd Blackledge saying he asked CGM if Cam had to throw it 40 times to win, did Cam have the ability to do it..and CGM said yes, however that was not needed for AU to win at that time....but when his arm was needed to open up the game against Updyke U, Gus called plays to help AU win. Gus was well aware of Cams passing ability...and utilized as needed....

Good question...never thought about it from that aspect.

I totally agree with your response to some of these clowns. First off on this message board if you have never played football you should not be allowed to voice your opinion, because odds are you don't have a clue. Second, tell me why Gus Malzahn would be a bad coaching hire give me some legitimate, logical answers. I can give you a ton of answers why he is a really good coach. We would never have tasted a National Championship without Gus Malzahn he overcame the most horrible defenses in the history of Auburn. He had to deal with someone meddling with his playbook because boss said he wanted to protect his defense. I am dissapointed with thirty percent of these posts because the rationalizations sound like you are high on meth or you don't have a clue.

Chizik with Gus 30-10

Chizik without 9- 26 do you see a correlation? do you think it was just happenstance?

Gus Malzahn at Arkansas brought them to the highest levels there were when he arrived, do any of you remember the beginning of the wildcat when we got plastered by Darren McFadden, and Felix Jones who beat the crap out of us and fans were leaving at half time? I could be wrong but didn't Arkansas go to the SEC championship when he was at Arkansas in 2002? Huston Nutt said hey Gus, hit the road and he was fired soon after.

He then went to Tulsa and they had the best records there that they have ever had, and he made Todd Grahm look like a peach, who is now at Maryland and its a complete trainwreck. He was then hired at Auburn and started lighting up the scoreboards in the SEC with the worst defenses Auburn has had in its history. Gene Chizik, as we know, is fired one year after he is gone.

I ask you do you see a logical chain forming here? Two coaches fired because the team went into an offensive tailspin, and one got out because he knew it was his best opportunity.

Gus Malzahn even with Chris Todd broke Auburn's all time td passing record with a guy that everyone wanted to run out of town! Gus has never worked with one single qb for more than one year and they have been very successful. Malzahn brought an offense that shattered records at Auburn, and with a lack of defense he managed to go 8-5 with Barret Trotter and Clint Mosely. Though, he may not have head coaching experience he has a proven track record every where he has made a coaching stop, people pay to learn how to run his offenses even Hugh Freeze runs his offense.. He may be a high school coach with experience at several colleges, but he is moving on up fast, and you want to miss making the right hire because you are ignorant? If you aren't ignorant then explain why in every one of your posts why he is not a good hire, and why your coach is? I don't want opinions I want facts, and until you have facts please stop posting you make it unbearable shifting through the excrement to be able to get to a post with actual good logical arguments.

Tell me one thing I have said that is incorrect. I find it amusing that you thought Gus recruited Cam. That speaks volumes. Bottom line - recruiting is half the game these days, and Gus is well known not to like recruiting. Accordingly, he will not likely be AU's next HC.

Can you prove that Gus does not like to recruit....I mean bonafide proof?

After the Season CAM went to work with a QB coach George Whitfield Jr...oh by the way the same one that Johnny Football worked with this summer....so it wasn't Gus that helped him out to become a better thrower and work on his footwork. here is a link that I found....http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7821231/nfl-andrew-luck-cam-newton-swear-qb-guru-george-whitfield-jr-espn-magazine

Great post!

Are you saying we can't man up and recruit with Bama, LSU, and Florida? According to rankings, we have been pretty close except our players haven't been developed. So yeah, we can man up against those teams.

Yeah. That's what I'm saying. We can beat them with superior coaching and scheme, but if you think we are in the same upper, upper echelon as ND, USC, and bama then I don't know what to say. They make movies about those schools. Ain't no movies about Auburn. Now, am I saying we can't beat them on a regular basis? No I am not. When we ran off 6 in a row against bama, they were on probation or chasing their tails with bad coaches. I am an Auburn man and love my boys but we are not a top 5 team nationally, We are a top 15 team and that makes a difference. Doesnt mean we cant beat them, doesnt mean we can't win championships,

That's what i keep asking but no one is yet to get an answer. Guess logic doesn't count for anything these days. lol.

Because Arkansas is stupid or either they know Gus wants no part of them after they treated him like crap when he was there with Nutt.....We should not allow Arkansas to determine who our next HC should be....smh

Gus is the type of coach the Kentucky's or Missouri's hire. We can and should do much better. To settle for that sickens me.

Gus isn't my first choice (not sure who is), but let me give this rebuttal. You could see a similarity between Malzahn and Spurrier. No one would confuse Spurrier with a recruiting mad man. Spurrier gave very little attention to the defense.

This is the point: If Gus is the innovator and surrounds himself with competent recruiters and defensive staff, he has the experience in game situations to know what he wants to do.

Archived