Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

I am not promising you Petrino won't overcome all of this and be successful in the future. Perhaps he will. This is Auburn. Auburn is a power. Petrino is a risk we don't need to take at this point.

Risks are for the Kentucky's and Vanderbilt's of the world.

Then why did we hire Chizik?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not promising you Petrino won't overcome all of this and be successful in the future. Perhaps he will. This is Auburn. Auburn is a power. Petrino is a risk we don't need to take at this point.

Did you just watch the iron bowl?!? We got plastered 49-0! You don't think we need to take a risk right now?!? Are you kidding me? Let's just keep doing what we are doing. We got the sec right where we want them. This makes sense to you?!?

Edit: Kentucky and Vanderbilt's programs are better than ours right now.

Did you just watch the iron bowl?!? We got plastered 49-0! You don't think we need to take a risk right now?!? Are you kidding me? Let's just keep doing what we are doing. We got the sec right where we want them. This makes sense to you?!?

0 SEC wins means the loser we got has to go.

Aub will be the best job available this offseason and a top 10 or 15 job nationally. No we don't need to take risks. The best available candidates will be interested.

Then why did we hire Chizik?

THAT is an excellent question. Since I am not the retard that hired him I can't answer it for you.

Aub will be the best job available this offseason and a top 10 or 15 job nationally. No we don't need to take risks. The best available candidates will be interested.

If there is a better candidate than Petrino I'm all for him. I just can't find one.

If there is a better candidate than Petrino I'm all for him. I just can't find one.

Chris Peterson

Art Briles

Gary Patterson

James Franklin

All good coaches w/o the baggage and risk of Petrino. Aub can get any of em.

Chris Peterson

Art Briles

Gary Patterson

James Franklin

"All good coaches". Petrino is better than good. Those coaches have never coached in a major conference before except Franklin. You just said we shouldn't be taking risks...

Petrino is the best, most proven hc that we can realisticially get and yet people don't want him. He is probably one of the 5 best coaches in cfb, period. Heck, after what I witnessed tonight, I'd hire his kitty cat, mr. Sweetwiggles.

Chris Peterson

Art Briles

Gary Patterson

James Franklin

"All good coaches". Petrino is better than good. Those coaches have never coached in a major conference before except Franklin. You just said we shouldn't be taking risks...

Briles and Patterson have coached in the 2nd best conf in the country no idea what you are talking about and Peterson has won BCS bowls in freaking Idaho.

Petrino is an obv slam dunk sans the scandal but it is a big one and presents risk that those other guys don't possess.

I haven't read these 151 pages+, but IF we are not able to land a serious big name, like Gary Patterson, Jeff Fisher, or Jimbo Fisher. Then this guy, logically has to come next. Charlie Strong is not the guy to get us to the next level, Gus Malzahn while having a good first year, I don't think he has the experience to take on a head gig in the SEC and I think we need a clean break from the Chizik era. That being said, Gogue & Jacobs probably won't make the hire, because Gogue is more concerned about the image of the university then winning football games. I'm not saying Gogue is entirely wrong in that, but I will say how does our image look if we're fielding 5-6, 6-6, 7-5 teams like we probably would with a second rate coach compared to a Bobby Petrino. People criticized Alabama when they hired the morally bankrupt Nick Saban, how did that turn out for them?

Chris Peterson

Art Briles

Gary Patterson

James Franklin

Chris Peterson isn't coming. We took Chizik over Gary Patterson last time. I'm sure he probably holds a grudge for it. Have you ever seen an Art Briles team play defense? Neither has he. Franklin? Over Petrino? Look I know he has baggage but he's probably the best COACH for us to pursue. If we can't get either of the Fisher's we best come away with him. Gus needs to be the worst case.

Petrino is the best, most proven hc that we can realisticially get and yet people don't want him. He is probably one of the 5 best coaches in cfb, period. Heck, after what I witnessed tonight, I'd hire his kitty cat, mr. Sweetwiggles.

Absolutely. Well said. And the thing that baffles me is why would someone not want him? "He would leave in the middle of the night". If he did, our program would be a helluva lot better than it is right now and we'd have some wins over teams that we aren't competitive with now. "It would hurt Auburn's reputation". Auburn's reputation, like it or not, is a school that needs to go buy another quarterback. Read Espn and yahoo if you want to know Auburn's rep. I'm all for hurting it. "He's a liar and won't be able to recruit". He never had top 20 classes a Arkansas and hung 40 on us every year. "He can't beat Saban". Neither can anyone except Les Miles. Do you want him? Am I forgetting any?

We could wake up this time next week with a top 5 coach. I have no idea why people are opposed to that.

Chris Peterson isn't coming. We took Chizik over Gary Patterson last time. I'm sure he probably holds a grudge for it. Have you ever seen an Art Briles team play defense? Neither has he. Franklin? Over Petrino? Look I know he has baggage but he's probably the best COACH for us to pursue. If we can't get either of the Fisher's we best come away with him. Gus needs to be the worst case.

:rollin:

Chris Peterson

Art Briles

Gary Patterson

James Franklin

Exactly. All would be exceptional choices if not for, not only the availability of Petrino, but Petrinos own desire to coach here. In 2-3 years AU would be a top 5 program vying for a spot in the new playoff with a chance at NC's. There is a possibility of similar success with other candidates but none are as close to a sure thing as BP.

Chris Peterson

Art Briles

Gary Patterson

James Franklin

I'd rather hire a coord than Gus. Unless he's bringing Cam Newton2 w/ him his gimmicks are not the answer.

Briles is at Baylor dude. It's a minor miracle he's able to field competent football teams in that hole. Pair him w/ a top shelf DC recruiting SEC talent and that can work and work well. $ washes grudges away. At some point Peterson is going to jump ship to the big time and it doesn't get any bigger than here.

Chris Peterson

Art Briles

Gary Patterson

James Franklin

I'd rather hire a coord than Gus. Unless he's bringing Cam Newton2 w/ him his gimmicks are not the answer.

Briles is at Baylor dude. It's a minor miracle he's able to field competent football teams in that hole. Pair him w/ a top shelf DC recruiting SEC talent and that can work and work well. $ washes grudges away. At some point Peterson is going to jump ship to the big time and it doesn't get any bigger than here.

If you think Petrino is riskier than those names I strongly disagree. If Auburn hires Petrino, what are you scared of happening?

Absolutely. Well said. And the thing that baffles me is why would someone not want him? "He would leave in the middle of the night". If he did, our program would be a helluva lot better than it is right now and we'd have some wins over teams that we aren't competitive with now. "It would hurt Auburn's reputation". Auburn's reputation, like it or not, is a school that needs to go buy another quarterback. Read Espn and yahoo if you want to know Auburn's rep. I'm all for hurting it. "He's a liar and won't be able to recruit". He never had top 20 classes a Arkansas and hung 40 on us every year. "He can't beat Saban". Neither can anyone except Les Miles. Do you want him? Am I forgetting any?

We could wake up this time next week with a top 5 coach. I have no idea why people are opposed to that.

I don't think he'd leave in the middle of the night. Cripes he's wanted to get here since 2003. I don't give a rip about reputation. I care about winning period.

Scandals like this change people and affect their ability to succeed professionally moving forward. He's no longer a slam dunk. At this point he's high risk high reward. It could absolutely play out the way you think it will but there is high risk that it won't, risk we don't need to take.

Chris Peterson

Art Briles

Gary Patterson

James Franklin

I dunno Gus' "gimmicks" worked the 2 1/3 years he was allowed to run them. And at has Briles ever done without RG3? Dude has a losing record this year. And I psyched with the idea of Gary Patterson 5 years ago but he's getting up in age and seems to be loosing a step. Then again maybe he needs a change of scenery. Or not have his kids involved in a drug ring.

I don't think he'd leave in the middle of the night. Cripes he's wanted to get here since 2003. I don't give a rip about reputation. I care about winning period.

Scandals like this change people and affect their ability to succeed professionally moving forward. He's no longer a slam dunk. At this point he's high risk high reward. It could absolutely play out the way you think it will but there is high risk that it won't, risk we don't need to take.

You think Petrino is riskier than Briles or Franklin?

Yes.

AU fans that want to win now wants Petrino, the moral police fans want an Honest, High character, Never lies, good Christian man for a coach! Unless I'm horribly wrong, I don't think JESUS is coming back from heaven to coach AU football!! If its not BP, it had better be someone that can coach a football team, defensive or offensive!!

Really dude....just cause someone does not want BP does not mean they want some pansy...

well the ptb need to make a splash hire, and I hope he is at least near BP level or above! Although the way we have been hiring lately I wouldn't be shocked of it is a pansy coach. Rite now we r worried what people will have to say about us as a whole if we do indeed hire BP!! That's what's wrong with AU rite now! I say screw that, they have already done a pretty good job of that already, 2010 was incredible with all the garbage being spewed our way,I have to ask how did we get thru that fiasco? When u r more concerned about what people say then, no wonder fear seems to be stronger than love to some people! Not me

I don't think Auburn cares what people think, a few fans on a message board does not dictate that...

Chris Peterson

Art Briles

Gary Patterson

James Franklin

I dunno Gus' "gimmicks" worked the 2 1/3 years he was allowed to run them. And at has Briles ever done without RG3? Dude has a losing record this year. And I psyched with the idea of Gary Patterson 5 years ago but he's getting up in age and seems to be loosing a step. Then again maybe he needs a change of scenery. Or not have his kids involved in a drug ring.

I don't think Patterson's losing a step. I think it's 1 part the drug ring, and 1 part MWC roster (albeit top shelf MWC) competing in the Big Xii and an adjustment period to not resting in the luxury of having to get up for 2 games a yr.

Briles did well at Houston. In terms of Baylor this year I think was validation of his program, RG3 is gone yet what is left still represents significant improvement over what he inherited. Also they are 6-5 w/ one game left. Unless you were talking about their conf record, which is losing, 3-5 w/ again one game left against Okie Lite. Keep in mind that's the worst job in that league or 2nd worst depending on what you think of it compared to Iowa State.

Yes.

If we hired any of the 4 guys you named, I can see them sucking. They may not, but it definitely wouldn't surprise me. I've never seen Petrino not be successful. I don't see a scandal changing his coaching ability.

Archived