Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

UK boosters are claiming they got Petrino and it should be announced within the next 7 days.

The waiting game.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UK boosters are claiming they got Petrino and it should be announced within the next 7 days.

If true then AU must have an incredible hire lined up since we can allow an elite coach like CBP to go to UK. Or we really do have the worst AD in history.

It is NOT impossible, this staff IS and HAS been consistently competitive with NS in recruiting.

BP is at the flagship institution of his state THE university of Ark and he can't even control the state of Ark in recruiting. Out of state schools go in there at take top prospects regularly.

Calling Arkansas the flagship university of that state is like bragging about being the tallest midget. Arkansas doesn't produce enough top talent to be competitive. Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana's high school programs are far better and produce way more Division 1 caliber players than Arky ever has.

Yet in spite of the struggles to recruit to a place like Arkansas, he has coached them up to 10 and 11 win seasons the last two years even going up against the 4 and 5-stars at LSU, Bama and Auburn.

^^This^^

Discuss/debate hiring Bobby Petrino here.

I want Jim Leavitt. Defense minded, hard nosed, built USF and stayed there for 12 years turning down numerous job offers over his tenure. He is from Florida, has recruited the southeast for years, was mentored by Snyder at KSU as their DC in the 90s, and is now coaching Linebackers for the 49ers. Fire Jacobs, bring LEavitt back home to the south, give him the keys to the football program and be done with it.

Petrino cannot be trusted and he brings too much baggage....and I am not sure any decent parents of kids who wanted their kid to play at Auburn would be able overlook his past.

I'm a huge Leavitt fan. One of my top choices.

It is NOT impossible, this staff IS and HAS been consistently competitive with NS in recruiting.

BP is at the flagship institution of his state THE university of Ark and he can't even control the state of Ark in recruiting. Out of state schools go in there at take top prospects regularly.

Calling Arkansas the flagship university of that state is like bragging about being the tallest midget. Arkansas doesn't produce enough top talent to be competitive. Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana's high school programs are far better and produce way more Division 1 caliber players than Arky ever has.

Yet in spite of the struggles to recruit to a place like Arkansas, he has coached them up to 10 and 11 win seasons the last two years even going up against the 4 and 5-stars at LSU, Bama and Auburn.

^^This^^

Yes, but those losses he always had were to Bama and LSU.

The fans who don't want him would get on board quickly when we start winning.

I kind of hope they go away. Fans with Shug mentality really hurt us in 2003 when we had a chance to upgrade the program when they sided with xCTT over AU. Now they want to pick a coach based on their on their own self rightous standards instead of the ability to coach. I have to think AU would be much better united without them behind an elite coach than continue to be forced to react to good ole boy meddling based on non measurables and the need to project images of ivy league and saintly grandeur. You would think by now they would realize the press will villify AU no matter who the coach is.

How did fans hurt the search in 2003? I don't think fans had anything to do with that...whether the had a Shug mentality or not.....

Boosters that bought into the ole Poor Coach Tubby routine over the ridiculous jetgate hype by the bammar media machine made a lot of noise and that resulted in xCTT keeping his job instead of being replaced as deserved, So end result was smart people wanted to dump a coach who averaged 5 losses per year and make the upgrade. But that certain element of fans thought it was better to keep a mediocre nice guy.

Tubs version of mediocrity looks awesome compared to what we have now. He never put a team on the field that was as unprepared or poorly coached as what we've seen week in and week out this year

Tubs had his team on the way to an undefeated season when the idiot banker got in the way. That had nothing to do with the fans.

The fans who don't want him would get on board quickly when we start winning.

I kind of hope they go away. Fans with Shug mentality really hurt us in 2003 when we had a chance to upgrade the program when they sided with xCTT over AU. Now they want to pick a coach based on their on their own self rightous standards instead of the ability to coach. I have to think AU would be much better united without them behind an elite coach than continue to be forced to react to good ole boy meddling based on non measurables and the need to project images of ivy league and saintly grandeur. You would think by now they would realize the press will villify AU no matter who the coach is.

How did fans hurt the search in 2003? I don't think fans had anything to do with that...whether the had a Shug mentality or not.....

Boosters that bought into the ole Poor Coach Tubby routine over the ridiculous jetgate hype by the bammar media machine made a lot of noise and that resulted in xCTT keeping his job instead of being replaced as deserved, So end result was smart people wanted to dump a coach who averaged 5 losses per year and make the upgrade. But that certain element of fans thought it was better to keep a mediocre nice guy.

Tubs version of mediocrity looks awesome compared to what we have now. He never put a team on the field that was as unprepared or poorly coached as what we've seen week in and week out this year

Tubs had his team on the way to an undefeated season when the idiot banker got in the way. That had nothing to do with the fans.

Revisionist history.

If true then AU must have an incredible hire lined up since we can allow an elite coach like CBP to go to UK. Or we really do have the worst AD in history.

It's the boosters who made that decision and let that one go. BP will not be the next HC at Auburn.

It's the boosters who made that decision and let that one go. BP will not be the next HC at Auburn.

And yet another major blunder on the part of Auburn University. When freaking Kentucky is throttling the SEC we will see how bad this screwup was.

Thie idiots that we have running our program are going to screw this coaching search up. Hell the current AD that we have wants to keep Chizik. And our president wants to keep that AD. It's just Auburn being Auburn. Lot of politics and the good old boy network.

If true, well big freakin' deal. AU will better off without Petrino. Even if he is the best available coach out there. Black eyes and the smell of $#!+ would linger around the program if he was hired.

If Petrino to UK is for real the melt down in here is going to be cataclysmic. The man love has been palpable for weeks. Anything less than Petrino for some is going to be the announced and formal ending of Auburn football...LOL..to them its always been Petrino or a loser. Obviously, I believe there are others who can succeed at Auburn to a level that fans want and expect. Im in the distinct minority on that but only hope for the best for Auburn's future. What that future holds for Auburn is unknown for the moment but I am completely unwilling to succumb to the misguided logic that is being sold in here, which is, if we dont hire Petrino, Auburn will never win again.

If Petrino to UK is for real the melt down in here is going to be cataclysmic. The man love has been palpable for weeks. Anything less than Petrino for some is going to be the announced and formal ending of Auburn football...LOL..to them its always been Petrino or a loser. Obviously, I believe there are others who can succeed at Auburn to a level that fans want and expect. Im in the distinct minority on that but only hope for the best for Auburn's future. What that future holds for Auburn is unknown for the moment but I am completely unwilling to succumb to the misguided logic that is being sold in here, which is, if we dont hire Petrino, Auburn will never win again.

I have not read one post saying AU will not win again without Petrino. Way to misrepresent the facts. You should go into politics. ;D

It's always easy to win arguments against a position that no one has taken. Congrats on your Strawman Boxing Title, big fella!

^^This^^

Yes, but those losses he always had were to Bama and LSU.

No, he was 2-2 vs LSU, not to mention 2-0 vs S Carolina, 1-1 vs Georgia and 3-1 vs Auburn. He didn't beat Bama but then again, only Miles, Spurrier and Chizik have done that the last 4 seasons so unless you think we can steal one of them or that we should keep Chiz, you're out of luck if that's your criteria.

The only way UK got BP is if we informed him we're going in another direction. And if that's the case, we better not be announcing Sonny Dykes, Malzahn or Willie Taggart. It better be a proven hire. How sad would it be for UK to have a better coach than Auburn?

It's always easy to win arguments against a position that no one has taken. Congrats on your Strawman Boxing Title, big fella!

Amen brother.

The only way UK got BP is if we informed him we're going in another direction. And if that's the case, we better not be announcing Sonny Dykes, Malzahn or Willie Taggart. It better be a proven hire. How sad would it be for UK to have a better coach than Auburn?

+1. I agree with this.

Excatly how I feel. And the only other attainable A lister I have seen mentioned is Gary Patterson. At this point i am expecting another yes man, good ole boy hire and many years of 4-7th place finishes in the SEC West. I think fans that want a top 10 program are not on the same page with leadership.

Archived