Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Petrino is PROVEN as a HC in the SEC. That speaks for itself.

Proven he can finish 3rd in the west.

with a bunch of 2 and 3 star players when competing against a bunch of 4 and 5 star players..

He would have to agree to several protective stipulations in his contract, decidedly tilted toward Auburn, that coaches of his stature wouldn't normally have to even consider.

He is just a trendsetter...............from now on all contracts will have a "Bobby Petrino" Clause in them!!LOL

with a bunch of 2 and 3 star players when competing against a bunch of 4 and 5 star players..

In a division that has produced 4 of the last 5 national champions.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that if BP ends up as HC in Auburn he will win the SEC at some point and a NC..............Call me crazy, but if it happens i will dig up this post!!LOL

In a division that has produced 4 of the last 5 national champions.

I was just about to post that as well on my other posts.....comes in third in the toughest division in the toughest league of college football with players that are half the rating as the teams he is playing...

Mostly, I believe all debates are worth having. If you want to say that Auburn is better than BP, I respect that opinion. I don't agree with it, but he made some colossally stupid decisions and his reputation has suffered for it. But I don't see where you can argue he isn't a great coach. The only season you can say he didn't meet expectations was atl. Every other year, he exceeded expectations. And don't forget, one of those 3rd place west finishes he also finished 3rd in the final bcs rankings. He's a top 5 coach nationally, he's available to work cheap with a favorable deal, and he can start Monday. If there is a better candidate then I'd love to know who it is.

If BP were to be the next HC at Auburn, does BVG have a chance at staying on as DC? I have heard a lot of arguements for and against, but I just wondered if petrino's offensive strategy, BVGs apparent rift with Chizik, and the current and incoming talent on defense play any part in the decision on this matter. Some think BVG is done either way. I might could see him back for another year with a new coach (not saying it would be the best decision, but it might be interesting).

If BP were to be the next HC at Auburn, does BVG have a chance at staying on as DC? I have heard a lot of arguements for and against, but I just wondered if petrino's offensive strategy, BVGs apparent rift with Chizik, and the current and incoming talent on defense play any part in the decision on this matter. Some think BVG is done either way. I might could see him back for another year with a new coach (not saying it would be the best decision, but it might be interesting).

IF CBP came to Auburn Van Gorder would have a pretty decent chance of staying IMO

IF CBP came to Auburn Van Gorder would have a pretty decent chance of staying IMO

They coached together in atl, so there is a relationship there. If I were to try to characterize the relationship it would be a guess. I believe BVG would like to remain in Auburn, and I'd like to see it. But we must, at all costs, avoid another Tony Franklin fiasco.

I like Petrino. After all this discussion, what are the chances he really ends up at Auburn?

I like Petrino. After all this discussion, what are the chances he really ends up at Auburn?

My personal opinion (which has no sources or inside info attached) is the chances of Petrino being our next HC are <5%.

wde

My personal opinion (which has no sources or inside info attached) is the chances of Petrino being our next HC are <5%.

wde

I will agree with that, but if AU suffers another blowout Saturday, that number might take a quantum leap upward.

to all who would want petrino,

You all are fools! Not only do you have the moral baggage, the biggest issue is he has proven that as soon as

the going gets tough, he is gone!- (Atlanta when vick is put in jail)

Don't let facts get in the way of an idiotic screed. He left Atlanta partly because the job he signed up for was not the debacle he was handed instead. But also, he wanted to get back to college and quit dealing with spoiled millionaires and his wife hated living in Atlanta. Also, that's one job. He left Louisville at their peak (12-1 season, Big East title and an Orange Bowl win). He had no intention of leaving Arkansas and his latest season was 11-2 with his only losses to the two teams who played for the BCS title. How is that proving that "when the going gets tough, he is gone?"

Do some frickin' research before having a bout of diarrhea of the keyboard.

So what would he do if his next job, particularly auburn does not amount to what he signed up for? It's possible specifically the way some people describe the administration and boosters...and just because adversity existed he could have manned up and told those players face to face he was leaving, I think that is protocol in the coaching profession, leaving was his right, it's just how he did it that was wrong....

It depends on whether the PTB actually want to win or just be a warm and fuzzy "family".

to all who would want petrino,

You all are fools! Not only do you have the moral baggage, the biggest issue is he has proven that as soon as

the going gets tough, he is gone!- (Atlanta when vick is put in jail)

Don't let facts get in the way of an idiotic screed. He left Atlanta partly because the job he signed up for was not the debacle he was handed instead. But also, he wanted to get back to college and quit dealing with spoiled millionaires and his wife hated living in Atlanta. Also, that's one job. He left Louisville at their peak (12-1 season, Big East title and an Orange Bowl win). He had no intention of leaving Arkansas and his latest season was 11-2 with his only losses to the two teams who played for the BCS title. How is that proving that "when the going gets tough, he is gone?"

Do some frickin' research before having a bout of diarrhea of the keyboard.

So what would he do if his next job, particularly auburn does not amount to what he signed up for? It's possible specifically the way some people describe the administration and boosters...and just because adversity existed he could have manned up and told those players face to face he was leaving, I think that is protocol in the coaching profession, leaving was his right, it's just how he did it that was wrong....

If he takes the Auburn job and isn't satisfied, he will leave as soon as he can find another gig. But that's kinda the situation when anyone on earth accepts any job.

I like Petrino, but like another poster on here said, you have to believe the other coaches would have a field day sitting with recruits and their mothers bashing BP's character

Rick Pitino dropped in to say "hi".

Close but like comparing a green apple to a red one, Pitino had an affair like BP but he did not lie to his boss, hire his mistress, break her off 20K, tell the trooper not to say anything....and other boneheaded stuff...close but no way the same...

Petrino is our Saban. It's the perfect storm for the perfect situation. Despite what he has done as a man, he is an excellent football coach that DEVELOPS players. And does it very well. We have not had that the past 4 years. At Louisville and Arkansas, he took a mediocre program and made them great. Think about what he could do with the resources here at AU.

Hopefully he applies some effort to the defensive side of the ball....BP great offensive teams, with questionable defense......

Petrino is our Saban. It's the perfect storm for the perfect situation. Despite what he has done as a man, he is an excellent football coach that DEVELOPS players. And does it very well. We have not had that the past 4 years. At Louisville and Arkansas, he took a mediocre program and made them great. Think about what he could do with the resources here at AU.

Hopefully he applies some effort to the defensive side of the ball....BP great offensive teams, with questionable defense......

Saban's teams have never fielded a great offense. They have a strong running game, stout defense and a qb that will get them in the right play. Bp's defenses haven't been great, no question. But good coaches imprint their personality on their teams.

I like Petrino, but like another poster on here said, you have to believe the other coaches would have a field day sitting with recruits and their mothers bashing BP's character

Rick Pitino dropped in to say "hi".

Close but like comparing a green apple to a red one, Pitino had an affair like BP but he did not lie to his boss, hire his mistress, break her off 20K, tell the trooper not to say anything....and other boneheaded stuff...close but no way the same...

True. He just had sex with her in a public restaurant, paid her $3000 hush money to go get an abortion then lied to everyone until he couldn't take being extorted anymore.

most of my opinions on BP are back on page 115 or 116 ...

i am not nearly as concerned about the moral quality of the adult coach as i am about the moral quality of the student-athletes ... BP has an unquestioned track record of keeping these kids in line while he is head coach. that is a positive for me. somewhere on AUF there is a link to an article about how UL and arky tanked after he left with quotes from former players that said he ruled with an iron fist and the were scared/respected him - regardless they did what he said and did not get in trouble.

what others think about who we hire ... I.DO.NOT.CARE.ANYMORE. after the last few years of auburn being blistered, my interest in the media is at an all time low.

what mammas and daddys think about BP on the recruiting couch ... there is a segment of recruits parents that will not be happy about BP. There is, IMO, a much much larger segment of the top tier recruits that want three primary things:

play in the SEC (or major bcs school) on national TV

they want to play and play now

they want to win

there are alot of other things that are important to recruits but these are the biggest. BP/Auburn will provide all three plus the majority of the other important items.

the last few years have skewed my view of people and life in general - auburn and non-auburn. i dont believe in the warm fuzzy stuff like i used to. if we are going to field a major college football team - then DAMN IT, LETS WIN!!!!!!!!!

On the issue of what would recruits and their parents think if he hired Petrino. More importantly, what are they thinking today? Go to Auburn, be under-coached, look like the biggest mess of a football team in the history of the SEC, and get your brains beat out by 30 points every Saturday? I just don't think those are very good selling points. BP will take the talent on hand and win big next year. With our facilities, fan base and recruiting territory he will be in much better position to win than at any other place he has been, by far.

This debate about Petrino has been interesting at times, its also been disappointing at times. People see things differently. A lot of folks want to justify their support of Petrino with sarcastic statements like, "Yeah, we need to hire another good Christian man who is 5 - 19." I dont see what place religion has in this thread and have never stated nor otherwise implied that I was for anybody due to their faith. There are others who justify their support by making references to Rick Pitino and Nick Saban. Here again, I have no idea what the relevance is except using those guys names to point out another scumbag or liar who has been successful both winning and recruiting. My issues with Petrino are neither based in religion nor morality.I must admit I dont like liars and his aren't limited to one statement. Insofar as his well publicized affair in Arkansas, that brings me to what my issue with him really is. My issue is about trust. Someone cynically posted.."his wife trusts him are you saying you know him better than his wife does?" My reply to that would be...how did his wife's trust in him work out for her? Ive already been shouted down a couple of times with the extremely insightful heads up that it doesn't matter if I trust him or not because his hiring has nothing to do with me. I had to laugh at that one....I guess his hiring is only for those who are for him...not the 2nd generation alumni who also sent both their children to Auburn. We can dissect Petrinos reasoning for abruptly quitting 2 jobs and being fired from the 3rd from now til the end of time, however, it all sets up a bad precedent. A quitter is a quitter and he's shown that quitting is not something he struggles with. On the contrary, he can be a decisive quitter when things look better elsewhere or aren't necessarily going his way. His contract negotiations and signature on a contract haven't meant a lot to this guy in the past....his "all in for himself" attitude is what I find to be the most troubling element of his character. He could come in and do a fine job at Auburn..I do not question that, but what I do not want to see is, him do at Auburn what he's done at virtually every other stop in his coaching career. I dont want to see an unexpectedly abrupt and contentious end leaving behind a trail of broken promises and outright lies. Therein is the risk. Whatever the decision is, Im an Auburn man and that will never change! Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

I just read the last 25 pages of this thread on Petrino. He is soooooo polarizing! Most people have no middle ground on him, people like him because he is a very good offensive football coach or you hate him because of his past behavior. Posters that normally keep their cool seem to be getting very angry posting on this thread.

This debate about Petrino has been interesting at times, its also been disappointing at times. People see things differently. A lot of folks want to justify their support of Petrino with sarcastic statements like, "Yeah, we need to hire another good Christian man who is 5 - 19." I dont see what place religion has in this thread and have never stated nor otherwise implied that I was for anybody due to their faith. Their are others who justify their support by making references to Rick Pitino and Nick Saban. Here again, I have no idea what the relevance is except using those guys names to point out another scumbag or liar who has been successful both winning and recruiting. My issues with Petrino are neither based in religion nor morality.I must admit I dont like liars and his aren't limited to one statement. Insofar as his well publicized affair in Arkansas, that brings me to what my issue with him really is. My issue is about trust. Someone cynically posted.."his wife trusts him are you saying you know him better than his wife does?" My reply to that would be...how did his wife's trust in him work out for her? Ive already been shouted down a couple of times with the extremely insightful heads up that it doesn't matter if I trust him or not because his hiring has nothing to do with me. I had to laugh at that one....I guess his hiring is only for those who are for him...not the 2nd generation alumni who also sent both their children to Auburn. We can dissect Petrinos reasoning for abruptly quitting 2 jobs and being fired from the 3rd from now til the end of time, however, it all sets up a bad precedent. A quitter is a quitter and he's shown that quitting is not something he struggles with. On the contrary, he can be a decisive quitter when things look better elsewhere or aren't necessarily going his way. His contract negotiations and signature on a contract haven't meant a lot to this guy in the past....his "all in for himself" attitude is what I find to be the most troubling element of his character. He could come in and do a fine job at Auburn..I do not question that, but what I do not want to see is, him do at Auburn what he's done at virtually every other stop in his coaching career. I dont want to see an unexpectedly abrupt and contentious end leaving behind a trail of broken promises and outright lies. Therein is the risk. Whatever the decision is, Im an Auburn man and that will never change! Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

If trust is your main issue with Petrino, then I guess Gus is out of the question for HC at Auburn. Because he left us once, and why would we want a guy that would leave Arky State high and dry? And Kirby Smart is out of the question, and Strong, and virtually any coach that is currently employed because we couldn't trust them because if they would leave other schools for AU, then they would dang sure leave us for a better opportunity. Guess we just need to keep Chiz....no wait didn't he leave Iowa State high and dry?

Archived