Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

This debate about Petrino has been interesting at times, its also been disappointing at times. People see things differently. A lot of folks want to justify their support of Petrino with sarcastic statements like, "Yeah, we need to hire another good Christian man who is 5 - 19." I dont see what place religion has in this thread and have never stated nor otherwise implied that I was for anybody due to their faith. Their are others who justify their support by making references to Rick Pitino and Nick Saban. Here again, I have no idea what the relevance is except using those guys names to point out another scumbag or liar who has been successful both winning and recruiting. My issues with Petrino are neither based in religion nor morality.I must admit I dont like liars and his aren't limited to one statement. Insofar as his well publicized affair in Arkansas, that brings me to what my issue with him really is. My issue is about trust. Someone cynically posted.."his wife trusts him are you saying you know him better than his wife does?" My reply to that would be...how did his wife's trust in him work out for her? Ive already been shouted down a couple of times with the extremely insightful heads up that it doesn't matter if I trust him or not because his hiring has nothing to do with me. I had to laugh at that one....I guess his hiring is only for those who are for him...not the 2nd generation alumni who also sent both their children to Auburn. We can dissect Petrinos reasoning for abruptly quitting 2 jobs and being fired from the 3rd from now til the end of time, however, it all sets up a bad precedent. A quitter is a quitter and he's shown that quitting is not something he struggles with. On the contrary, he can be a decisive quitter when things look better elsewhere or aren't necessarily going his way. His contract negotiations and signature on a contract haven't meant a lot to this guy in the past....his "all in for himself" attitude is what I find to be the most troubling element of his character. He could come in and do a fine job at Auburn..I do not question that, but what I do not want to see is, him do at Auburn what he's done at virtually every other stop in his coaching career. I dont want to see an unexpectedly abrupt and contentious end leaving behind a trail of broken promises and outright lies. Therein is the risk. Whatever the decision is, Im an Auburn man and that will never change! Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

If trust is your main issue with Petrino, then I guess Gus is out of the question for HC at Auburn. Because he left us once, and why would we want a guy that would leave Arky State high and dry? And Kirby Smart is out of the question, and Strong, and virtually any coach that is currently employed because we couldn't trust them because if they would leave other schools for AU, then they would dang sure leave us for a better opportunity. Guess we just need to keep Chiz....no wait didn't he leave Iowa State high and dry?

This debate about Petrino has been interesting at times, its also been disappointing at times. People see things differently. A lot of folks want to justify their support of Petrino with sarcastic statements like, "Yeah, we need to hire another good Christian man who is 5 - 19." I dont see what place religion has in this thread and have never stated nor otherwise implied that I was for anybody due to their faith. Their are others who justify their support by making references to Rick Pitino and Nick Saban. Here again, I have no idea what the relevance is except using those guys names to point out another scumbag or liar who has been successful both winning and recruiting. My issues with Petrino are neither based in religion nor morality.I must admit I dont like liars and his aren't limited to one statement. Insofar as his well publicized affair in Arkansas, that brings me to what my issue with him really is. My issue is about trust. Someone cynically posted.."his wife trusts him are you saying you know him better than his wife does?" My reply to that would be...how did his wife's trust in him work out for her? Ive already been shouted down a couple of times with the extremely insightful heads up that it doesn't matter if I trust him or not because his hiring has nothing to do with me. I had to laugh at that one....I guess his hiring is only for those who are for him...not the 2nd generation alumni who also sent both their children to Auburn. We can dissect Petrinos reasoning for abruptly quitting 2 jobs and being fired from the 3rd from now til the end of time, however, it all sets up a bad precedent. A quitter is a quitter and he's shown that quitting is not something he struggles with. On the contrary, he can be a decisive quitter when things look better elsewhere or aren't necessarily going his way. His contract negotiations and signature on a contract haven't meant a lot to this guy in the past....his "all in for himself" attitude is what I find to be the most troubling element of his character. He could come in and do a fine job at Auburn..I do not question that, but what I do not want to see is, him do at Auburn what he's done at virtually every other stop in his coaching career. I dont want to see an unexpectedly abrupt and contentious end leaving behind a trail of broken promises and outright lies. Therein is the risk. Whatever the decision is, Im an Auburn man and that will never change! Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

If trust is your main issue with Petrino, then I guess Gus is out of the question for HC at Auburn. Because he left us once, and why would we want a guy that would leave Arky State high and dry? And Kirby Smart is out of the question, and Strong, and virtually any coach that is currently employed because we couldn't trust them because if they would leave other schools for AU, then they would dang sure leave us for a better opportunity. Guess we just need to keep Chiz....no wait didn't he leave Iowa State high and dry?

This is arguably the weakest logic Ive ever seen......"like, EVER" My ignore list is growing by leaps and bounds now that I know how to use it. Happy Thanksgiving...LOL

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is arguably the weakest logic Ive ever seen......"like, EVER" My ignore list is growing by leaps and bounds now that I know how to use it. Happy Thanksgiving...LOL

Eh, only weak minded people ignore others. Like I care if you ignore me. Ha! Ha!

Finebaum said yesterday that he has informed knowledge that BP has been aggressively courting the AU job in recent days.

While not my first choice I would support him nonetheless.

I was originally in favor of hiring BP, but I changed my mind when I saw lots of AU folks not wanting him. I simply did not want to see an even more fractured fan base. That said, the events over the past day or so have changed my mind, and I am back on the BP bandwagon.

The hatchet job done by the national media and the local media (Bham) is absolutely disgusting, and I am to the point that they can all KMA. If those SOB's are going to portray AU like they have, we might as well be winning while they do it.

BP, come on down and take no prisoners!

Ignoring people who have a different opinion as you makes you, by definition, ignorant. I appreciate your arguments even though I don't agree with them, I respect your passion.

But I disagree with the characterization that Petrino is a quitter because he left atl and Louisville. I've quit many jobs in my life, for reasons such as I didn't enjoy my work or I got a better opportunity. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Finebaum said yesterday that he has informed knowledge that BP has been aggressively courting the AU job in recent days.

I actually called Tuesday to ask him what he thought the likelihood of this happening was since I knew Russ Campbell was his agent. He said "good question" then asked about PM's article. Then he hung up on me. Complete waste of time.

The fans who don't want him would get on board quickly when we start winning.

Not sure about that.

Here's to hoping we find out!!

I was originally in favor of hiring BP, but I changed my mind when I saw lots of AU folks not wanting him. I simply did not want to see an even more fractured fan base. That said, the events over the past day or so have changed my mind, and I am back on the BP bandwagon.

The hatchet job done by the national media and the local media (Bham) is absolutely disgusting, and I am to the point that they can all KMA. If those SOB's are going to portray AU like they have, we might as well be winning while they do it.

BP, come on down and take no prisoners!

I've done the same thing. I want Petrino now more than ever. Heck with perception. We need a coach that will go for the rest of the SEC's throats.

I kind of hope they go away. Fans with Shug mentality really hurt us in 2003 when we had a chance to upgrade the program when they sided with xCTT over AU. Now they want to pick a coach based on their on their own self rightous standards instead of the ability to coach. I have to think AU would be much better united without them behind an elite coach than continue to be forced to react to good ole boy meddling based on non measurables and the need to project images of ivy league and saintly grandeur. You would think by now they would realize the press will villify AU no matter who the coach is.

I kind of hope they go away. Fans with Shug mentality really hurt us in 2003 when we had a chance to upgrade the program when they sided with xCTT over AU. Now they want to pick a coach based on their on their own self rightous standards instead of the ability to coach. I have to think AU would be much better united without them behind an elite coach than continue to be forced to react to good ole boy meddling based on non measurables and the need to project images of ivy league and saintly grandeur. You would think by now they would realize the press will villify AU no matter who the coach is.

You have it all wrong my friend...I mean way wrong. Its hard to believe you would be for excluding alumni of Auburn University over a football coaching hire but it takes all kinds to make the world go round.

You have it all wrong my friend...I mean way wrong. Its hard to believe you would be for excluding alumni of Auburn University over a football coaching hire but it takes all kinds to make the world go round.

This guy seems to think everybody is wrong that disagrees with him.

I have to admit BP was not my first choice, but if he is, in fact hired, I will whole heartedly support him. With BP at the helm maybe we can score some points, hold onto some of our recruits and return to prominence sooner rather than later. I guess we'll all find out shortly.

The only guy I would take over Petrino is Jimbo Fisher. I like Gus but I don't think he could do any better than 8-5 without a Braxton Miller duel threat type QB.

Petrino has 2 BCS Bowls on his resume. No other coach has that. Jimbo will have 1 BCS Bowl if Florida State wins the ACC Championship game. Nobody else is even close.

He's also a lying scumbag. "IF" he were to come here he'd have to win immediately to get over this. I don't want the man. I think we can do so much better.

Again, so is Saban. I guess we are too good for him too.

yep

I continue to fail to see what relevance Nick Saban has to this issue. I for one thnk Saban is perfect fit at Alabama. There is an awful lot of ENVY issues circulating among Auburn fans about now. Its sad to have to admit that what Bama fans have always said about Auburn fans has come true. They've always contended that all we wanted was to be like them. Seems we're there

Bammer

I may get flamed for this opinion, but I genuinely believe that our best chance at a "real" quick fix would in fact be to hire Petrino. I am sure someone has already pointed out that he is not currently employed by another school; therefore, there is no requirement to wait until a playoff or bowl game has ended until he can be actively pursued. We can hire him Monday morning and start immediately to rebuild and repair. I do not doubt his working credentails as I have long admired his football success and the demeanor and preparedness of his teams whether it was as our Offensive Coordinator, HC at Louisville or at Arky.

And many many folks here will disagree with me here on this point, but I do not think that there is another coach available in the entire country that can hit the ground running to excite future offensive players and their teammates. But, even as we all try and make like it doesn't matter, the most striking thing that Petrino will do is to stand up hard and fast and give us a chance every year to win against the almighty Satan. No one here will say it, but that is what we want first and foremost. After that is seen as a fact, everything else would fall into place.

The fans that do want him will be the first to light the torches and gather the pitchforks when he packs up and leaves or plays grab arse with another co-ed....like blue vue said...I just don't trust him....

I may get flamed for this opinion, but I genuinely believe that our best chance at a "real" quick fix would in fact be to hire Petrino. I am sure someone has already pointed out that he is not currently employed by another school; therefore, there is no requirement to wait until a playoff or bowl game has ended until he can be actively pursued. We can hire him Monday morning and start immediately to rebuild and repair. I do not doubt his working credentails as I have long admired his football success and the demeanor and preparedness of his teams whether it was as our Offensive Coordinator, HC at Louisville or at Arky.

And many many folks here will disagree with me here on this point, but I do not think that there is another coach available in the entire country that can hit the ground running to excite future offensive players and their teammates. But, even as we all try and make like it doesn't matter, the most striking thing that Petrino will do is to stand up hard and fast and give us a chance every year to win against the almighty Satan. No one here will say it, but that is what we want first and foremost. After that is seen as a fact, everything else would fall into place.

Amen. We need someone who can come in now and win immediately, no excuses. BP has done it every place he has been at the college level. He didn't make it in the pros but neither did Saban. The absolute last thing we need is JJ screwing around for 2 months and hiring some rookie on the cheap who he thinks has "potential".

How did fans hurt the search in 2003? I don't think fans had anything to do with that...whether the had a Shug mentality or not.....

How did fans hurt the search in 2003? I don't think fans had anything to do with that...whether the had a Shug mentality or not.....

Boosters that bought into the ole Poor Coach Tubby routine over the ridiculous jetgate hype by the bammar media machine made a lot of noise and that resulted in xCTT keeping his job instead of being replaced as deserved, So end result was smart people wanted to dump a coach who averaged 5 losses per year and make the upgrade. But that certain element of fans thought it was better to keep a mediocre nice guy.

Boosters that bought into the ole Poor Coach Tubby routine over the ridiculous jetgate hype by the bammar media machine made a lot of noise and that resulted in xCTT keeping his job instead of being replaced as deserved, So end result was smart people wanted to dump a coach who averaged 5 losses per year and make the upgrade. But that certain element of fans thought it was better to keep a mediocre nice guy.

Tubs version of mediocrity looks awesome compared to what we have now. He never put a team on the field that was as unprepared or poorly coached as what we've seen week in and week out this year

Archived