Trooper is gone

Plaric

Who is Scott Reaves?

Edit: Some sports marketing guy who basically does nothing? How would he "KNOW" this wasn't Gus's decision?

lol you read his tagline on Twitter and immediately made an assumption without knowing how many times this dude has broken news before it happened. Good job!

No, Twitter is blocked where I work, I read his LinkedIn profile. What good does breaking news first do? And what good does him, not being a part of the staff, knowing and blabbing behind the scenes info out do? Now recruiting news is one thing, but staff hirings and firings just provide more fodder for message board speculation, sorta like the claims of workouts not being mandatory, which Lutz denied. See the point?

If you have a problem with getting news before it's officially released and "message board speculation", what are you doing here?

Also, people focus on Lutz' tweets, but nobody ever brings up the fact that A.J. Green admitted on Twitter that Yox had the rug pulled out from under him.

Because I love Auburn and Auburn football. I didn't know everyone was here just for speculation. That said, I don't appreciate the race all these so called "insiders" participate in to rush news to the internet, whether it needs to be revealed or not. And actually, I'm friends with AJ on Facebook, and see all his comments also. No offense to him, but I'd take Lutz's word over his, and out of respect, I'm not going to add any more details as to why. Regardless, these comments of I "KNOW" it was meddling by the admin helps no one and certainly doesn't help the efforts of our new coach.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ST is coming off like a little crybaby. He doesn't know everything that goes on behind the scenes so he can't possibly know everything there is about this 100%

ST is coming off like a little crybaby. He doesn't know everything that goes on behind the scenes so he can't possibly know everything there is about this 100%

I'm telling ya dude... he comes out saying something like this, there's a reason. Again, he's not 100% in his track record, but he's usually pretty selective with what he says.

I'm telling ya dude... he comes out saying something like this, there's a reason. Again, he's not 100% in his track record, but he's usually pretty selective with what he says.

Some things he needs to keep to himself. A lot of the players follow him and the last thing they need to see is someone that is screaming at the top of his lungs that the head coach isn't 100% in charge

bingo

i trust him above all others when it comes to stuff like this

this smells, im sad people caved in with trooper

especially considering most people have never met the man to KNOW his character

I understand this firing but it opens a couple huge questions. See the recruiting board for exact quotes but some of our biggest verbal commitments said things like "I love Auburn and hope Trooper stays". Do THEY stay w/ us now.

Bigger long term question: the life blood in successful college ball is recruiting. Horrible game day coaches (e.g. Frank Beamer, Phillip Fulmer, Larry Coker) win big and good ones (e.g. Tator Tot, Tyrone Willingham) crash & burn based on recruiting. I'm more interested in who will lead the Auburn recruiting charge than I was in this DC pick. (fwiw, Joker Phillips is a proven southern recruiter and very good position coach, notwithstanding his KY stint).

Who care...if they de-commit because they're buddies with Trooper...then BYE. For one, it ain't about being friends. Secondly, it undermines a HCs authority. We will be fine.

I understand this firing but it opens a couple huge questions. See the recruiting board for exact quotes but some of our biggest verbal commitments said things like "I love Auburn and hope Trooper stays". Do THEY stay w/ us now.

Bigger long term question: the life blood in successful college ball is recruiting. Horrible game day coaches (e.g. Frank Beamer, Phillip Fulmer, Larry Coker) win big and good ones (e.g. Tator Tot, Tyrone Willingham) crash & burn based on recruiting. I'm more interested in who will lead the Auburn recruiting charge than I was in this DC pick. (fwiw, Joker Phillips is a proven southern recruiter and very good position coach, notwithstanding his KY stint).

Who care...if they de-commit because they're buddies with Trooper...then BYE. For one, it ain't about being friends. Secondly, it undermines a HCs authority. We will be fine.

you dont understand College football or the athletes that play the game

you just see an athletic black kid wearing your colors

clueless

trooper was one of the best things we had, i only wish the best for him

clueless

Who mentioned anything of race?

clueless

Trooper also had recruiting restrictions placed on him three out of the four years he was here. Some things just aren't worth it.

That being said, I wish him the best also.

i did and this is me calling out everyone who repeatedly called trooper a "thug" ONLY because of what he looks like

pieces of crap i tell you, makes me sick

Some things he needs to keep to himself. A lot of the players follow him and the last thing they need to see is someone that is screaming at the top of his lungs that the head coach isn't 100% in charge

Exactly! Dumb move IMO

You guys are all killing me.

When a New HC is hired it's a rare occurance to see him keep a coach from the previous staff. The new HC wan't shis own people ion there, not someone from the previous coaches staff.

You all act like a new HC keeping the old coaches staff happens at every school. It just isn't so.

As for players leaving because TT is let go. I want players that want to play for Auburn not for a position coach or a recruiter. I want players that want to play for Auburn because we are winers not because the guy who recruited them is their buddy.

TT is gone GET OVER IT!

Exactly! Dumb move IMO

I'm not saying what ST did was right, I'm just stating that he knows what's going on more times than not and he usually doesn't post random nonsense.

There's no doubt in my mind that Gus is in charge of his staff. There could be extinuating circumstances that made it necessary for the AU administration to step in and terminate Trooper Taylor's employment with AU. In the end, I'm perfectly fine with the decision. TT was the Asst Head Coach directly under Gene Chizik - a hefty portion of the blame for the disintergration of this AU team rests on his shoulders as well as xCGC's.

I think this comes down to a couple of things.

1. Gus thinks he can do better at the WR coach position. If that's the case, Troop would have to be at least bumped to another coaching position on the team.

2. There are whispers that Troop (but not him alone) was part of the discipline problem. He sometimes wanted to be the players' friend more than their coach or disciplinarian.

I have also heard that Gus and Troop didn't always see eye to eye back when he was here the last time in terms of philosophy. If that's the case, or even partly the case, Gus made the decision he had to make. Will it hurt recruiting? Probably. Hopefully Gus can replace him with a coach or coaches that can make up ground in that respect but balance it with holding kids accountable on and off the field.

That's an excellent post. My thoughts exactly on Trooper situation. AU will be fine.

clueless

Obviously you know next to nothing about leadership. I get pretty sick of your condescending responses. Your not as smart as you lead on. Gimme a break asshat. I was a team leader in the Army and a Fire officer. I know about leadership. Being buddies with these recruits will only do so much good. When they know they have a "buddy" on the coaching staff, discipline is out of the question. You can create good relationships with these recruits without being buddies and catering to them. If Malzahn didn't let trooper go it sends a message to recruits that they're calling the shots. Gimme a break with you're smartassed comments.

clueless

i did and this is me calling out everyone who repeatedly called trooper a "thug" ONLY because of what he looks like

+1

UltraSwagnus gets it.

So you can't understand why a new Head Coach would want to replace the former Asst Head Coach (who had multiple recruiting restrictions placed on him in the past 4 yrs) under Gene Chizik?

I can't recall any AU poster/fan calling Trooper a thug, ever. Most of the AU supporters liked him and some even loved him because of the way he looked and acted on the sidelines. Who called him a thug?

clueless

+1

UltraSwagnus gets it.

:dunno:

clueless

+1

UltraSwagnus gets it.

Whatever he has, I don't want.

All this talk about TT being the problem at Auburn is completely unfounded and its extremely easy for some of you to point your finger at a familiar target because you've been conditioned as such. Also, most of the people on this board don't care bout the players, only wins and that's fine...Trooper played the big brother role to a lot of those kids because they needed that in their life..

Troop was genuinely concerned about their welfare off the field, where it counted the most. In order to do get these kids to open up to you, you need an intimate relationship with them so when you discuss the pitfalls of life and how to avoid them, they are more than willing to listen....

But I know yall don't care about the players for real so carry on with your irrational discussion..

All this talk about TT being the problem at Auburn is completely unfounded and its extremely easy for some of you to point your finger at a familiar target because you've been conditioned as such. Also, most of the people on this board don't care bout the players, only wins and that's fine...Trooper played the big brother role to a lot of those kids because they needed that in their like..

Troop was genuinely concerned about their welfare off the field, where it counted the most. In order to do get these kids to open up to you, you need an intimate relationship with them so when you discuss the pitfalls of life and how to avoid them, they are more than willing to listen....

But I know yall don't care about the players for real so carry on with your irrational discussion..

While this may be true, these kids did not need someone to undermine the HC and step between them and him. I am grateful for the things Troop brought to the table but I am OK with the change.

Archived