Trooper is gone

Plaric

I wonder if administration took the fall for letting Trooper go, so Gus wouldn't be the bad guy.

I don't think they care who the "bad guy" is or at least they shouldn't. Reasons were there for not retaining Troop, and everybody just has to deal with it.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a just-completed Google search, I found one story-from an AJC Blog-mentioning the news that CTT will not be retained. The AJC blogger's source was the Auburn-Rivals story which originally got this thread going. The Auburn-Rivals site-for which I do not have a description, didn't even have the CTT story in its headlines (which was the extent of my access). So, I just wanted to take a breath and ask the members of this board if the Trooper Taylor-definitely-not-being-retained story has been independently corroborated.

In a just-completed Google search, I found one story-from an AJC Blog-mentioning the news that CTT will not be retained. The AJC blogger's source was the Auburn-Rivals story which originally got this thread going. The Auburn-Rivals site-for which I do not have a description, didn't even have the CTT story in its headlines (which was the extent of my access). So, I just wanted to take a breath and ask the members of this board if the Trooper Taylor-definitely-not-being-retained story has been independently corroborated.

Then you go and get all rational on us and stuff.

Why so much hate for Troop? So many bashing him and blaming him for all the behavior issues with the players when noone has a real idea what went on behind the scenes and have no sense of how he truly was on and off the field with players. I'm not saying by any means that Troop should've stayed...that was Gus's decision..I respect it.

I spent some time with Troop on a couple occasions b/c he was recruiting my cousin during the 2010 season. Of course spending a few hours with the man doesn't make me think he is a saint as no one can truly gather an accurate conclusion about a person in a few hours to fully and fairly judge them. IMO Some will never understand Troop even a little b/c they are so quick to pre-judge just by looking at him nor can they identify with some of our players and situations in their personal life and for other various reasons.

Although my cousin did not choose to go to Auburn...he still kept in touch with Troop on a regular basis b/c that's the impact he left on him. I asked him why players liked Troop so much...understood he is a fun guy but why else? He told me that yes it was b/c he was fun but mostly b/c he CARES...he understands me and my life situations, he is encouraging and lets me know that no matter my obstacles i can make it in life with or without football. When we talk...we talk about football a little of course but we mostly talked about school...grades...family..and what's going on with me mentally and my goals outside of football.

He went on to say that Troop talked to him about how he was raised in a family of 16..in a small house with his mother and father. Also, he explain the REAL reason Troop wears his hat backwards since some people want to call him a THUG. SMH. He wears his hat backwards b/c when he was little his dad wore a hardhat to work and would come in to see him and his brothers (8 of them) before he left for work and Troop would turn his hardhat backwards like some construction workers do. One morning he did it but his dad didn't come back home that day...he had died. So he wears his hat backwards to remember his father and the hard work he put in everyday for his wife and all 16 of his kids.

It's easy to judge reading articles or rumors but if you don't truly know the man how can some so easily judge. My cousin believes that Troop maybe could've been a little tougher like letting coaches chew out players without stepping in but he also said that he doesn't believe he plays favorites. He's just and emotional guy who cares and wants the best for players and maybe that is what hurt him in the end.

I know many are talking in terms of football / recruiting when it comes to Troop but from the little i saw firsthand and comments from my cousin...it was a lot deeper than that for him. I can understand some dislike b/c he is not paid to be a counselor or friend. He may have done some questionable things and maybe he was more of a friend to some players but if you take time out to truly learn more about some of our players and their personal situations...you may have a different outlook and not bash the man for helping bring Auburn some good talent and inspiration to a football team and chaning the lives of many players. Anytime you're recruiting at high level..their will be some bad apples....there are certainly more good apples than bad on the team...they just never get talked about. Good luck Troop and thanks for the memories!

Bottom line: Trooper Taylor wouldn't have been telling his swell stories to your cousin if he didn't want something from him. All good CFB recruiters can talk the talk. Wish TT would have sold Auburn as well he sold the idea he was their pal.

Such is life...What is your point and I see how you glossed over that his cousin did not choose Auburn but still keeps in touch with him...

You think Auburn would want these kids if they weren't 6 feet plus and over 200 pounds and running sub 4.5

Not saying it didn't happen. Just saying I didn't see a story on the largest place in Al one would be logically placed. Even the Foster article said 'decommit if he is gone". It didn't say he was gone.

Confirmation would be nice, instead of 300 pages of sadly overtoned commentary not worth reading and maybe not even based on a real event.

I don't know how much is OK to quote from a premium site so I won't quote anything but I can tell you that he was released officially this morning and shortly after, Foster de-committed citing the release of Troop as a primary reason.

Why so much hate for Troop? So many bashing him and blaming him for all the behavior issues with the players when noone has a real idea what went on behind the scenes and have no sense of how he truly was on and off the field with players. I'm not saying by any means that Troop should've stayed...that was Gus's decision..I respect it.

I spent some time with Troop on a couple occasions b/c he was recruiting my cousin during the 2010 season. Of course spending a few hours with the man doesn't make me think he is a saint as no one can truly gather an accurate conclusion about a person in a few hours to fully and fairly judge them. IMO Some will never understand Troop even a little b/c they are so quick to pre-judge just by looking at him nor can they identify with some of our players and situations in their personal life and for other various reasons.

Although my cousin did not choose to go to Auburn...he still kept in touch with Troop on a regular basis b/c that's the impact he left on him. I asked him why players liked Troop so much...understood he is a fun guy but why else? He told me that yes it was b/c he was fun but mostly b/c he CARES...he understands me and my life situations, he is encouraging and lets me know that no matter my obstacles i can make it in life with or without football. When we talk...we talk about football a little of course but we mostly talked about school...grades...family..and what's going on with me mentally and my goals outside of football.

He went on to say that Troop talked to him about how he was raised in a family of 16..in a small house with his mother and father. Also, he explain the REAL reason Troop wears his hat backwards since some people want to call him a THUG. SMH. He wears his hat backwards b/c when he was little his dad wore a hardhat to work and would come in to see him and his brothers (8 of them) before he left for work and Troop would turn his hardhat backwards like some construction workers do. One morning he did it but his dad didn't come back home that day...he had died. So he wears his hat backwards to remember his father and the hard work he put in everyday for his wife and all 16 of his kids.

It's easy to judge reading articles or rumors but if you don't truly know the man how can some so easily judge. My cousin believes that Troop maybe could've been a little tougher like letting coaches chew out players without stepping in but he also said that he doesn't believe he plays favorites. He's just and emotional guy who cares and wants the best for players and maybe that is what hurt him in the end.

I know many are talking in terms of football / recruiting when it comes to Troop but from the little i saw firsthand and comments from my cousin...it was a lot deeper than that for him. I can understand some dislike b/c he is not paid to be a counselor or friend. He may have done some questionable things and maybe he was more of a friend to some players but if you take time out to truly learn more about some of our players and their personal situations...you may have a different outlook and not bash the man for helping bring Auburn some good talent and inspiration to a football team and chaning the lives of many players. Anytime you're recruiting at high level..their will be some bad apples....there are certainly more good apples than bad on the team...they just never get talked about. Good luck Troop and thanks for the memories!

Bottom line: Trooper Taylor wouldn't have been telling his swell stories to your cousin if he didn't want something from him. All good CFB recruiters can talk the talk. Wish TT would have sold Auburn as well he sold the idea he was their pal.

WOW. That's sad. It's more to life than football man. He wasn't just trying to be their pal...many thought of him as a father figure. If he was just trying to "sell" my cousin he wouldn't be picking up the phone to call or answer his calls. He wouldn't drop by his home in the off season when he came home for summers. I don't have ANY issue with the man being let go at all. That just comes with the changing of coaches...that's how it works sometimes.

I told you, most people do not care about the players. The only thing that matters is if they perform and rack up W's

If it is indeed true, does this open the door for Rocker to be hired as DL/Recruiting Coordinator?

Rocker does not like to recruit according to most, so I doubt he will be the RC.

wde

Can anyone remember a high school player de-committing on the basis of following a position coach. I understand if a head coach or OC/DC leaves and a player following someone who may give them a certain system, or a player following a coach to a larger school.

The closest I can remember would be Mitch Mustain leaving UA for USC, but CGM went to Tulsa.

Players following a recruiter that is not their position coach does not meet the smell test. "He's one of my boys" is what I remember from the signing day videos. Sounds like a team within a team with different rules. Suspect CWM met the same problem at UF and I bet CGM plans on handling that problem the same way.

Little doc

Little doc

Can anyone remember a high school player de-committing on the basis of following a position coach. I understand if a head coach or OC/DC leaves and a player following someone who may give them a certain system, or a player following a coach to a larger school.

The closest I can remember would be Mitch Mustain leaving UA for USC, but CGM went to Tulsa.

Players following a recruiter that is not their position coach does not meet the smell test. "He's one of my boys" is what I remember from the signing day videos. Sounds like a team within a team with different rules. Suspect CWM met the same problem at UF and I bet CGM plans on handling that problem the same way.

Little doc

Little doc

Something to consider: how much of a factor is Foster's dad in his life? His and Trooper's relationship may run quite a bit deeper than just football.

Such is life...What is your point and I see how you glossed over that his cousin did not choose Auburn but still keeps in touch with him...

You think Auburn would want these kids if they weren't 6 feet plus and over 200 pounds and running sub 4.5

Sure Auburn would want them, provided they had excellent test scores and a GPA to go with it. Auburn loves bright, young minds and is willing to give full academic scholarships to the brightest and best.

Of course this is a football board, AND we generally discuss football players that are big enough, strong enough, talented enough to get a football scholarship............. :dunno:

Sure Auburn would want them, provided they had excellent test scores and a GPA to go with it. Auburn loves bright, young minds and is willing to give full academic scholarships to the brightest and best.

Of course this is a football board, AND we generally discuss football players that are big enough, strong enough, talented enough to get a football scholarship............. :dunno:

So in essence, the skill set is beloved, not the person, since they do not have to meet the standard academic requirements..

Eliminate all who could bring dissention. Old philosophy of ancient Kings. When a new king takes the throne, you kill all relatives of the previous king. Good move by Gus.

Weird.... :ucrazy:/>

Weird for those that fail to understand an analogy. Didn't mean to lock your brain down. :laugh:

does anyone remember the play (please refresh my memory) I think it was the georgia game where there was some pushing/shoving/personal foul flag throwing going on and nick fairley was jumping around celebrating and trooper taylor was trying to go out there and bring him back to the sidelines? Then Nick thought trooper was high fiving him or something and then Troop extended his hand to high five him back?

kind of a microcosm of the buddy/buddy mentality and lack of discipline that seems to have been surrounding trooper taylor and other aspects of the program.

A search for Trooper Taylor's firing.

http://www.google.co...iw=1152&bih=557

It's not there.

So, basically, the proprietor of a pay site and one of those guys who was criticized for running with rumors during the coaching search, was the source for this story that "broke" this morning. I did another google search, and still- at 9:01 ET- no news story that Auburn has officially decided not to bring back CTT. Trooper Taylor is somewhat controversial figure, he generates a lot of stories, and his name was featured prominently in almost all of the stories about Gus' decision regarding all of Chizik's assistants. So, if CTT was "officially released" this morning, shouldn't there at least be some "I told you so" gloating from our dear SEC brethren or the media hacks trying to keep alive the NCAA investigation shibboleth? As for Reuben Foster, did he decommit because of the story from earlier this week or because of something he was told in the past 24 hours? I suppose he could have gotten the latest info from CTT or one of CTT's sons. I know I may be beating this to death, but something smells. And its not the 13-year old Lab sleeping by my chair.

I won't be surprised if Georgia or Alabama hire TT, and he takes half the recruits that said they are "Committed to Coach Troop" with him. But regardless, it was a change that was needed.

Why would Bama hire Trooper? They don't need him and Saban wouldn't tolerate his style.

I won't be surprised if Georgia or Alabama hire TT, and he takes half the recruits that said they are "Committed to Coach Troop" with him. But regardless, it was a change that was needed.

Why would Bama hire Trooper? They don't need him and Saban wouldn't tolerate his style.

Trooper @ Updyke U= fish out of water.

I dont think Foster would have decommited unless he knew for sure TT was gone.

I think we will just have to wait and see what the outcome will be b/c Foster emotions could be running high and 17 and 18 year olds change their mind with the wind. He's switched a couple times already. There still may be a chance he goes to Auburn. Who knows...Troop may advise him that Auburn would still be the best place for him...we shall see.

True they wouldn't be meeting and interested in these kids if they didn't play football but just like you have recruiters for football they have them for academics as well. All i was pointing out was that at least the Man didn't treat the kid like he was a number or just another "body" like Saban does. When he decided not to go to Auburn...Troop didn't act like there was no genuine relationship established if the kid wanted to remain in contact.

Sure many coaches sell a kid and if he doesn't pick their school they forget they ever existed but claim to have a close connection with during the recruiting process. No secret that many do this...that's just the process. I'm not claiming Troop stayed close with every kid that didn't go to Auburn but I do know what happend with my cousin first hand with him. Some are so quick to paint the man as a horrible human being or coach and no nothing beyond hear say.

Archived