Trooper is gone

Plaric

Recuite is a life blood for top SEC program, if we want to win SEC, we need to have as good as a recruiter as Trooper Taylor.

I can't see Gus hire D. Craig as people in here want. We have a limit number of coaching slot for the time. Both HC and OC right now are coaching QB. We still need coach for RB, OL, WR and TE on offense.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We may also lose some of those 4 and 5 star guys that are already here as part of the cleaning house. If discipline was so bad and some of them fail to conform to CGM way of running the team, they will need to leave. So be it.

IMHO, Gus is clearly in charge, for better or worse. That is something we wanted is it not?

Yes, but only if the power resides in the right coach. It has worked well for spuat, let's see how it pans out for AU.

Recuite is a life blood for top SEC program, if we want to win SEC, we need to have as good as a recruiter as Trooper Taylor.

I can't see Gus hire D. Craig as people in here want. We have a limit number of coaching slot for the time. Both HC and OC right now are coaching QB. We still need coach for RB, OL, WR and TE on offense.

I believe D. Craig started out coaching RB or WR before he started working with QBs.

Don't we have to actually coach up the 5* talent to make this comparison? We haven't seen that yet...

Yep, if you re-read my post I consistently mentioned "coaching up".

Do you think our recruiting coord/WR coach was responsible for "coaching up" all the 5* players? So it's TT's fault that Kris Frost hasn't exploded? Or that TReed was injured and now has a QB incapable of delivering him the ball?

Those that bash his WR coaching: did you notice how open his receivers were? Was WR play a problem? I honestly think WR play was solid. A WR corp can't excel without a QB...and I think we all know how good our QB play was...

I don't know all the NCAA details. Maybe TT was a ticking time bomb with them. Maybe not. Maybe he was undermining the HC and causing a house divided...maybe not. I trust Gus, but I just really hope we get a direct replacement for TT in regards to recruiting. Again, we're recruiting KIDS. They can go to any school in the nation. It sounds like many of our fans want a "boot camp" attitude on our staff...the exact opposite of the previous regime. I understand discipline, but I can promise you that 16-18 year old KIDS won't volunteer for "boot camp"...

I respect the decision. I think it is good that Gus is coming in and making the decisions he wants to make. There is no talk of anyone telling him what tot do. I like that. I also respect the decision more because Gus knows trooper and they have worked together at Auburn. So it isn't like Gus fired him to make a statement without knowing what Trooper can do and what his goals are. Gus knows these things and decided to go a different route. I respect that.

Position coaches are always the guts of a program, both in recruiting and player development. These upcoming hires will be the ones that put Gus's stamp on Auburn football.

Gus obviously has a plan and coaches in mind. I have to think that he wouldn't have gotten rid of TT without having a replacement ready to step in. I would think that Ellis gets to work immediately on retaining the defensive recruits and he along with the OC focus on the offensive recruits. I think there was alot of controversy around TT. Gus coached with all these guys so if he wanted to retain any of these guys, he would have done so. I'm now interested to know about the special teams coach and the position coaches. Also interested to see if he will bring in a recruiting coordinator.

I won't be surprised if Georgia or Alabama hire TT, and he takes half the recruits that said they are "Committed to Coach Troop" with him. But regardless, it was a change that was needed.

Why do those teams need Trooper? They are sitting at the top of the SEC food chain right now with the coaching staff they have in place today. They don't need a polarizing fella like Trooper Taylor on their staff, they've done pretty damn good with what they have. :dunno:

Auburn needs a coach on the field that can bring success to Auburn, which will result in recruits going to Auburn. Last I checked, Trooper Taylor hasn't been recruiting for all of the teams ahead of Auburn in the polls and beating Auburn 40 - 0.

How may of you guys actually think that the current offensive staff will answer to a 29-year-old? You remember when Franklin came in to trying to tell Tubs "buddies" what to do. That could happen again and we need unity on this staff. When CGM decided to bring in Rhett then the purging of current offensive staff had to be done.

I respect the decision. I think it is good that Gus is coming in and making the decisions he wants to make. There is no talk of anyone telling him what tot do. I like that. I also respect the decision more because Gus knows trooper and they have worked together at Auburn. So it isn't like Gus fired him to make a statement without knowing what Trooper can do and what his goals are. Gus knows these things and decided to go a different route. I respect that.

+1

I think Malzahn is doing the right thing by bringing in his own staff. If we lose recruits because Taylor is gone, so be it.

I'm not sure I understand this stance. Those EXTREMELY talented recruits will be the guys we depend on in a couple of years( some of them as early as next year).

I believe D. Craig started out coaching RB or WR before he started working with QBs.

it is possible but very unlikely. Craig was played under Jimbo here in Auburn. He is also GA under Jimbo at LSU and also QB coach under Jimbo at FSU.

It is like Lashlee is choose to be RB coach at Arkansas instead of QB here in Auburn under Gus.

Well said. :bow:

Gus knows an awful lot about how the AU program has been administered, he knows the men inside and out that ran this thing straight to the bottom of the SEC and into the cellar with Kentucky. Gus knows what has transpired in the past. And, if he is willing to give up Troopers exceptional recruiting talents because he feels like a change is needed, then I give him my support. Gus realizes the status quo at AU could not remain status quo if we want to turn this program around.

it is possible but very unlikely. Craig was played under Jimbo here in Auburn. He is also GA under Jimbo at LSU and also QB coach under Jimbo at FSU.

It is like Lashlee is choose to be RB coach at Arkansas instead of QB here in Auburn under Gus.

I get the connections. I'm merely saying that Craig does have experience coaching other positions. It wouldn't be far-fetched to see him here not coaching QBs. Just a thought.

Personally I would still like to see Gus bring in Mike Norvell from Arizona State to coach WR.

Again, we're recruiting KIDS. They can go to any school in the nation. It sounds like many of our fans want a "boot camp" attitude on our staff...the exact opposite of the previous regime. I understand discipline, but I can promise you that 16-18 year old KIDS won't volunteer for "boot camp"...

I see 4* and 5* 18-year old KIDS volunteer for "boot camp" at uat every year, because uat is winning. When they get tired of "boot camp" or if they fail to live up to their potential, they get processed and end up at UNA or South Alabama.

We've proven that we cannot win without discipline, and frankly the off-the-field incidents over the past couple of years have gotten very embarrassing to many alumni (including me).

I don't celebrate "recruiting nationals championships" in February. I want to win the games that matter. Gus has no choice but to clean house. Do you expect any of these former offensive coaches, most of whom were making $300,000+ per year while Lashlee was just a lowly-paid student assistant in 2009-2010, to respect and support Lashlee as OC?

I thank all of the Chizik staff for the good things (mostly 2009 and 2010) that they accomplished, and I know most of them will find good jobs soon.

I get the connections. I'm merely saying that Craig does have experience coaching other positions. It wouldn't be far-fetched to see him here not coaching QBs. Just a thought.

Personally I would still like to see Gus bring in Mike Norvell from Arizona State to coach WR.

I like to see Mike Norvell here as well.

I think Malzahn is doing the right thing by bringing in his own staff. If we lose recruits because Taylor is gone, so be it.

I'm not sure I understand this stance. Those EXTREMELY talented recruits will be the guys we depend on in a couple of years( some of them as early as next year).

We already have EXTREMELY talented players on the team, but something was holding it back. Gus decided the potential of Trooper's recruiting didn't outweight the potential continuation of whatever caused the problems this past season. Not much else to understand.

Who's to say that the new staff won't be able to bring in talent, train them, coach them up to be fundamentally sound, disciplined football players that will contribute in a couple of years? Hell, the new coaching staff may actually be able to do something the previous staff couldn't do, they may be able to retain the CURRENT talent we have on this roster so that they can contribute as well.

I don't mean to be harsh, but DAMN - the old system didn't work, the old process didn't work, the old coaches didn't work.

AU fans/alumni are getting what we asked for (with the exception of Jacobs as AD), we are getting a house cleaning by a guy that knows what was happening from the "inside" of the apple core that rotted away a once proud football program. Gus knows where rot started, he knows how the rot spread throughout the locker room and spilled out onto the field. Gus is cleaning up the rot and the stink and starting over with new growth. WDE and God Bless you Gus!

Archived