Trooper is gone

Plaric

well, there is no other way to say it. Gus appears to OWN it now. I hope that is a very good thing. I would feel better about JJ being gone. If not mistaken, he is the only other "controversial" guy left. If he is gone in Feb, like alot have floated, then it will all belong to Gus. Then again, why not announce that now and have a "formal" AD search?

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why so much hate for Troop? So many bashing him and blaming him for all the behavior issues with the players when noone has a real idea what went on behind the scenes and have no sense of how he truly was on and off the field with players. I'm not saying by any means that Troop should've stayed...that was Gus's decision..I respect it.

I spent some time with Troop on a couple occasions b/c he was recruiting my cousin during the 2010 season. Of course spending a few hours with the man doesn't make me think he is a saint as no one can truly gather an accurate conclusion about a person in a few hours to fully and fairly judge them. IMO Some will never understand Troop even a little b/c they are so quick to pre-judge just by looking at him nor can they identify with some of our players and situations in their personal life and for other various reasons.

Although my cousin did not choose to go to Auburn...he still kept in touch with Troop on a regular basis b/c that's the impact he left on him. I asked him why players liked Troop so much...understood he is a fun guy but why else? He told me that yes it was b/c he was fun but mostly b/c he CARES...he understands me and my life situations, he is encouraging and lets me know that no matter my obstacles i can make it in life with or without football. When we talk...we talk about football a little of course but we mostly talked about school...grades...family..and what's going on with me mentally and my goals outside of football.

He went on to say that Troop talked to him about how he was raised in a family of 16..in a small house with his mother and father. Also, he explain the REAL reason Troop wears his hat backwards since some people want to call him a THUG. SMH. He wears his hat backwards b/c when he was little his dad wore a hardhat to work and would come in to see him and his brothers (8 of them) before he left for work and Troop would turn his hardhat backwards like some construction workers do. One morning he did it but his dad didn't come back home that day...he had died. So he wears his hat backwards to remember his father and the hard work he put in everyday for his wife and all 16 of his kids.

It's easy to judge reading articles or rumors but if you don't truly know the man how can some so easily judge. My cousin believes that Troop maybe could've been a little tougher like letting coaches chew out players without stepping in but he also said that he doesn't believe he plays favorites. He's just and emotional guy who cares and wants the best for players and maybe that is what hurt him in the end.

I know many are talking in terms of football / recruiting when it comes to Troop but from the little i saw firsthand and comments from my cousin...it was a lot deeper than that for him. I can understand some dislike b/c he is not paid to be a counselor or friend. He may have done some questionable things and maybe he was more of a friend to some players but if you take time out to truly learn more about some of our players and their personal situations...you may have a different outlook and not bash the man for helping bring Auburn some good talent and inspiration to a football team and chaning the lives of many players. Anytime you're recruiting at high level..their will be some bad apples....there are certainly more good apples than bad on the team...they just never get talked about. Good luck Troop and thanks for the memories!

Did anyone honestly think that a new HC would come in and NOT make significant changes. Really? How many times does that happen? GM wants his own team. He does not want to spend any time looking over his shoulder, looking for someone to undermine him. For GM to have any chance of success, he has to clean house. I am certain some good folks will be affected.

Did anyone honestly think that a new HC would come in and NOT make significant changes. Really? How many times does that happen? GM wants his own team. He does not want to spend any time looking over his shoulder, looking for someone to undermine him. For GM to have any chance of success, he has to clean house. I am certain some good folks will be affected.

I can probably think of one..........

KZIFW.gif

This is too funny.

Just Wednesday posters were upset with Gus as head coach, that it would be CGC redux.

Now Gus is castigated for sweeping away all vestige of the Chizik regime.

In my short time reading this forum, I've come to the realization that EVERYONE has inside information. You can blame the fire on JJ or Pat Dye or whoever you want. I like to think it's Malzahn building a team the way he wants to from the ground up and I have no problems whatsoever with that.

I wish Trooper well. He has done well for himself and will continue to do well. I just hope he doesn't end up in the SEC but I am pretty confident that he will.

I am hoping that Gus will at least try and maybe pull D Craig from FSU? I don't know though seeing as how Gus will more than likely be coaching the QB's for the most part.

How would Gus know Craig? Just like in most businesses, networking is a big part of career moves. I dont see any connection with between DC and GM which does not mean he wont get him but, for fairly obvious reasons, I just doubt it happens

College football is its own network. I would imagine that tons of these coaches know each other from recruiting against each other. It's like different companies calling on the same clients. You run into them most of the time. It certainly seems that Gus has a plan and if I had a guess, DC isn't part of it. It would be nice to get a former AU great who is a great recruiter. I'm just not confident on his QB developing ability. Like Troop or not, his departure will be felt in recruiting. I don't for one second believe he was not part of the problem though and his WR's have underachieved in my eyes the whole time. While we do need a WR coach now, the recruiting void left by Troop will be vast at least at first.

From the "rumors" I have heard, if true, Thank God TT is gone along with the rest. Time to clean house ! ! !

I know we'll lose some, but if we can keep those 5* guys, then hopefully that would send a real good message to our commits and to other recruits we're after.

TT was a great recruiter there is no doubt about it but I really didn't see much from him as a position coach. That said I wish we could keep him as the recruiting coordinator and get another WR coach. I don't know what will happen with Luper that is a different subject he has done a good job wih the RB's.

It comes down to this - there is a problem when kids are confused about the who leader of the team is. Trooper has always been one to bathe in the spotlight and it seemed like not only did he not develop players or discipline them, but he tried to exert more influence on players than the head coach and that's a huge problem.

Eliminate all who could bring dissention. Old philosophy of ancient Kings. When a new king takes the throne, you kill all relatives of the previous king. Good move by Gus.

Weird.... :ucrazy:

Why so much hate for Troop? So many bashing him and blaming him for all the behavior issues with the players when noone has a real idea what went on behind the scenes and have no sense of how he truly was on and off the field with players. I'm not saying by any means that Troop should've stayed...that was Gus's decision..I respect it.

I spent some time with Troop on a couple occasions b/c he was recruiting my cousin during the 2010 season. Of course spending a few hours with the man doesn't make me think he is a saint as no one can truly gather an accurate conclusion about a person in a few hours to fully and fairly judge them. IMO Some will never understand Troop even a little b/c they are so quick to pre-judge just by looking at him nor can they identify with some of our players and situations in their personal life and for other various reasons.

Although my cousin did not choose to go to Auburn...he still kept in touch with Troop on a regular basis b/c that's the impact he left on him. I asked him why players liked Troop so much...understood he is a fun guy but why else? He told me that yes it was b/c he was fun but mostly b/c he CARES...he understands me and my life situations, he is encouraging and lets me know that no matter my obstacles i can make it in life with or without football. When we talk...we talk about football a little of course but we mostly talked about school...grades...family..and what's going on with me mentally and my goals outside of football.

He went on to say that Troop talked to him about how he was raised in a family of 16..in a small house with his mother and father. Also, he explain the REAL reason Troop wears his hat backwards since some people want to call him a THUG. SMH. He wears his hat backwards b/c when he was little his dad wore a hardhat to work and would come in to see him and his brothers (8 of them) before he left for work and Troop would turn his hardhat backwards like some construction workers do. One morning he did it but his dad didn't come back home that day...he had died. So he wears his hat backwards to remember his father and the hard work he put in everyday for his wife and all 16 of his kids.

It's easy to judge reading articles or rumors but if you don't truly know the man how can some so easily judge. My cousin believes that Troop maybe could've been a little tougher like letting coaches chew out players without stepping in but he also said that he doesn't believe he plays favorites. He's just and emotional guy who cares and wants the best for players and maybe that is what hurt him in the end.

I know many are talking in terms of football / recruiting when it comes to Troop but from the little i saw firsthand and comments from my cousin...it was a lot deeper than that for him. I can understand some dislike b/c he is not paid to be a counselor or friend. He may have done some questionable things and maybe he was more of a friend to some players but if you take time out to truly learn more about some of our players and their personal situations...you may have a different outlook and not bash the man for helping bring Auburn some good talent and inspiration to a football team and chaning the lives of many players. Anytime you're recruiting at high level..their will be some bad apples....there are certainly more good apples than bad on the team...they just never get talked about. Good luck Troop and thanks for the memories!

Bottom line: Trooper Taylor wouldn't have been telling his swell stories to your cousin if he didn't want something from him. All good CFB recruiters can talk the talk. Wish TT would have sold Auburn as well he sold the idea he was their pal.

I for one am glad CTT is (hope)gone.I don't buy all this great recruiting crap.There was a good wr in Huntsville that from what I heard was never recruited buy AU.Jordan Matthews,instead we get D. Benton how did that work out?

Bottom line: Trooper Taylor wouldn't have been telling his swell stories to your cousin if he didn't want something from him. All good CFB recruiters can talk the talk. Wish TT would have sold Auburn as well he sold the idea he was their pal.

+1

I wish Trooper well. He has done well for himself and will continue to do well. I just hope he doesn't end up in the SEC but I am pretty confident that he will.

I am hoping that Gus will at least try and maybe pull D Craig from FSU? I don't know though seeing as how Gus will more than likely be coaching the QB's for the most part.

How would Gus know Craig? Just like in most businesses, networking is a big part of career moves. I dont see any connection with between DC and GM which does not mean he wont get him but, for fairly obvious reasons, I just doubt it happens

College football is its own network. I would imagine that tons of these coaches know each other from recruiting against each other. It's like different companies calling on the same clients. You run into them most of the time. It certainly seems that Gus has a plan and if I had a guess, DC isn't part of it. It would be nice to get a former AU great who is a great recruiter. I'm just not confident on his QB developing ability. Like Troop or not, his departure will be felt in recruiting. I don't for one second believe he was not part of the problem though and his WR's have underachieved in my eyes the whole time. While we do need a WR coach now, the recruiting void left by Troop will be vast at least at first.

From the "rumors" I have heard, if true, Thank God TT is gone along with the rest. Time to clean house ! ! !

rumors > facts The best way to make decisions is by making them based on rumors!

Amen

WOW. That's sad. It's more to life than football man. He wasn't just trying to be their pal...many thought of him as a father figure. If he was just trying to "sell" my cousin he wouldn't be picking up the phone to call or answer his calls. He wouldn't drop by his home in the off season when he came home for summers. I don't have ANY issue with the man being let go at all. That just comes with the changing of coaches...that's how it works sometimes.

I for one am glad CTT is (hope)gone.I don't buy all this great recruiting crap.There was a good wr in Huntsville that from what I heard was never recruited buy AU.Jordan Matthews,instead we get D. Benton how did that work out?

Last February, people on Auburn message boards were freaking out because of all the whiffs on highly-rated recruits. I guess those "whiffs" were just players who weren't looking for a father-figure. Conveniently for CTT, when he interviews for a new position at another school, he can tell them that Reuben Foster is coming with him. And maybe others. Nothing wrong with that. After all, he's their father-figure.

I think Troop (never met the man) is like everybody a mix of pluses and minuses. If the administration said he had to go then , then that's that. If it's Coach Gus' decision then at least he has the stones to do it, recruits be danged. It seems there's been a lot of mindless negativity directed toward Taylor particularly from Mullet Nation with closet racist comments. The thing is, changes will be made, recruits will weigh things and on signing day we'll end up with what we get.

If Auburn is the special place we believe, then we'll get good recruits and we'll win some ball games. I know I ain't letting the whims of 18 year old kids ruin my weekend. War Eagle!

I think Troop (never met the man) is like everybody a mix of pluses and minuses. If the administration said he had to go then , then that's that. If it's Coach Gus' decision then at least he has the stones to do it, recruits be danged. It seems there's been a lot of mindless negativity directed toward Taylor particularly from Mullet Nation with closet racist comments. The thing is, changes will be made, recruits will weigh things and on signing day we'll end up with what we get.

If Auburn is the special place we believe, then we'll get good recruits and we'll win some ball games. I know I ain't letting the whims of 18 year old kids ruin my weekend. War Eagle!

100% Agree. Some people can be so ignorant. Question anything about Gus and your thread gets deleted but then go and completely bash another coach and your thread stays. Hypocrites! Whether some liked the man or not he did some good things at Auburn beyond recruiting that some have no idea about. I wish him luck just like all the other coaches who have been let go.

AU has had good recruits for years now, the previous staff couldn't get them to the point to where they could compete and hold their ground with our SEC foe. And, unfortunately the previous staff even saw fit to field a team that couldn't compete against VANDY & OLE MISS. Things are bad folks! It's gonna take the actions of some strong, disciplined men to get this team into SEC shape. Take a glance at our 2013 schedule - there's a lot of work to be done with the players we have on campus NOW.

Change is taking place right before our eyes - give the new guy your support and positive feedback. He's doing what he thinks needs to be done to get this ship up off of the ocean floor.

rumors > facts The best way to make decisions is by making them based on rumors!

What part of "IF" and "I HAVE HEARD" did you not understand????....

"None is so blind as he who will not (not can't but WILL NOT) see"

Very sad condition. Work on it................... :bananadance:

Archived