Trooper is gone

Plaric

Trooper is a great recruiter. I do think though is no better than average as a receiver coach. D. Craig would be a wonderful addition to the offensive staff. I think Gus could pry him away from Jimbo for a few extra $$$ than he is currently being paid at FSU. The more Auburn coaches on the staff, the better off we will be. I do mean quality Auburn coaches.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I won't be surprised if Georgia or Alabama hire TT, and he takes half the recruits that said they are "Committed to Coach Troop" with him. But regardless, it was a change that was needed.

Why would Bama hire Trooper? They don't need him and Saban wouldn't tolerate his style.

Yeah, Trooper is personable and seems to care about the guys he recruits. And Trooper doesn't keep a Burmese python in his rec room to which he likes to feed live baby rabbits.

When Fall practice started up in 2011, I made a statement on here that I didn't think all the cutting up, joking, and horseplay that was being done by a couple of our coaches during practice was a good thing. Several on this board jumped me about my comment and told me how wrong I was. Well, Coach Troop was one of the main ones causing what I considered distractions. I won't miss him at AUBURN and I know we can get a better Receivers coach.

Ok, now I'm feeling better about the hire of Gus. It appears he is putting his stamp on the program and not just a yes man. Hopefully he can find a good replacement.

This is the first time I have felt badly about hiring Gus. I thought, since he knew the staff that he could keep the really good recruiters, especially Trooper Taylor. We do not have anyone to replace him. This new staff that Gus is hiring sounds like really good coaches, but lily white and not known for recruiting excellence. I'm disappointed with Gus. I thought he would be more careful to keep Luper and Trooper and keep our recruiting top notch. This is bothersome, not just for the upcoming year but for down the road.

I won't be surprised if Georgia or Alabama hire TT, and he takes half the recruits that said they are "Committed to Coach Troop" with him. But regardless, it was a change that was needed.

I think uga and the turds are doing fine without him and so can we.

They have their own Trooper.. UGA has Rodney Garner beside it is easier for dog and turd to recruite. they are number one school in their states hence they have state name in their school name. We need a new recruiting coordinator as good as Trooper.

That was my point. They don't need him, and we can be just as or more competitive without him. Obviously, we need a good recruiter just like every other SEC team needs one.

Why so much hate for Troop? So many bashing him and blaming him for all the behavior issues with the players when noone has a real idea what went on behind the scenes and have no sense of how he truly was on and off the field with players. I'm not saying by any means that Troop should've stayed...that was Gus's decision..I respect it.

I spent some time with Troop on a couple occasions b/c he was recruiting my cousin during the 2010 season. Of course spending a few hours with the man doesn't make me think he is a saint as no one can truly gather an accurate conclusion about a person in a few hours to fully and fairly judge them. IMO Some will never understand Troop even a little b/c they are so quick to pre-judge just by looking at him nor can they identify with some of our players and situations in their personal life and for other various reasons.

Although my cousin did not choose to go to Auburn...he still kept in touch with Troop on a regular basis b/c that's the impact he left on him. I asked him why players liked Troop so much...understood he is a fun guy but why else? He told me that yes it was b/c he was fun but mostly b/c he CARES...he understands me and my life situations, he is encouraging and lets me know that no matter my obstacles i can make it in life with or without football. When we talk...we talk about football a little of course but we mostly talked about school...grades...family..and what's going on with me mentally and my goals outside of football.

He went on to say that Troop talked to him about how he was raised in a family of 16..in a small house with his mother and father. Also, he explain the REAL reason Troop wears his hat backwards since some people want to call him a THUG. SMH. He wears his hat backwards b/c when he was little his dad wore a hardhat to work and would come in to see him and his brothers (8 of them) before he left for work and Troop would turn his hardhat backwards like some construction workers do. One morning he did it but his dad didn't come back home that day...he had died. So he wears his hat backwards to remember his father and the hard work he put in everyday for his wife and all 16 of his kids.

It's easy to judge reading articles or rumors but if you don't truly know the man how can some so easily judge. My cousin believes that Troop maybe could've been a little tougher like letting coaches chew out players without stepping in but he also said that he doesn't believe he plays favorites. He's just and emotional guy who cares and wants the best for players and maybe that is what hurt him in the end.

I know many are talking in terms of football / recruiting when it comes to Troop but from the little i saw firsthand and comments from my cousin...it was a lot deeper than that for him. I can understand some dislike b/c he is not paid to be a counselor or friend. He may have done some questionable things and maybe he was more of a friend to some players but if you take time out to truly learn more about some of our players and their personal situations...you may have a different outlook and not bash the man for helping bring Auburn some good talent and inspiration to a football team and chaning the lives of many players. Anytime you're recruiting at high level..their will be some bad apples....there are certainly more good apples than bad on the team...they just never get talked about. Good luck Troop and thanks for the memories!

Bottom line: Trooper Taylor wouldn't have been telling his swell stories to your cousin if he didn't want something from him. All good CFB recruiters can talk the talk. Wish TT would have sold Auburn as well he sold the idea he was their pal.

WOW. That's sad. It's more to life than football man. He wasn't just trying to be their pal...many thought of him as a father figure. If he was just trying to "sell" my cousin he wouldn't be picking up the phone to call or answer his calls. He wouldn't drop by his home in the off season when he came home for summers. I don't have ANY issue with the man being let go at all. That just comes with the changing of coaches...that's how it works sometimes.

I told you, most people do not care about the players. The only thing that matters is if they perform and rack up W's

I think Trooper was an extremely valuable member of our staff. He is maybe the best recruiter in the country and did a very good job coaching receivers. Remember how bad our receivers were under Tubs. They couldn't catch a cold. Trooper did a great job teaching them to catch the ball. He has brought in some top notch talent. I don't blame Trooper for our problems. I think a lot of Auburn fans just did not like him because of the backward hat and towel. We are going to miss Trooper and our recruiting will suffer for it. A lot of rednecks just did not like him, period, for obvious reasons.

Why so much hate for Troop? So many bashing him and blaming him for all the behavior issues with the players when noone has a real idea what went on behind the scenes and have no sense of how he truly was on and off the field with players. I'm not saying by any means that Troop should've stayed...that was Gus's decision..I respect it.

I spent some time with Troop on a couple occasions b/c he was recruiting my cousin during the 2010 season. Of course spending a few hours with the man doesn't make me think he is a saint as no one can truly gather an accurate conclusion about a person in a few hours to fully and fairly judge them. IMO Some will never understand Troop even a little b/c they are so quick to pre-judge just by looking at him nor can they identify with some of our players and situations in their personal life and for other various reasons.

Although my cousin did not choose to go to Auburn...he still kept in touch with Troop on a regular basis b/c that's the impact he left on him. I asked him why players liked Troop so much...understood he is a fun guy but why else? He told me that yes it was b/c he was fun but mostly b/c he CARES...he understands me and my life situations, he is encouraging and lets me know that no matter my obstacles i can make it in life with or without football. When we talk...we talk about football a little of course but we mostly talked about school...grades...family..and what's going on with me mentally and my goals outside of football.

He went on to say that Troop talked to him about how he was raised in a family of 16..in a small house with his mother and father. Also, he explain the REAL reason Troop wears his hat backwards since some people want to call him a THUG. SMH. He wears his hat backwards b/c when he was little his dad wore a hardhat to work and would come in to see him and his brothers (8 of them) before he left for work and Troop would turn his hardhat backwards like some construction workers do. One morning he did it but his dad didn't come back home that day...he had died. So he wears his hat backwards to remember his father and the hard work he put in everyday for his wife and all 16 of his kids.

It's easy to judge reading articles or rumors but if you don't truly know the man how can some so easily judge. My cousin believes that Troop maybe could've been a little tougher like letting coaches chew out players without stepping in but he also said that he doesn't believe he plays favorites. He's just and emotional guy who cares and wants the best for players and maybe that is what hurt him in the end.

I know many are talking in terms of football / recruiting when it comes to Troop but from the little i saw firsthand and comments from my cousin...it was a lot deeper than that for him. I can understand some dislike b/c he is not paid to be a counselor or friend. He may have done some questionable things and maybe he was more of a friend to some players but if you take time out to truly learn more about some of our players and their personal situations...you may have a different outlook and not bash the man for helping bring Auburn some good talent and inspiration to a football team and chaning the lives of many players. Anytime you're recruiting at high level..their will be some bad apples....there are certainly more good apples than bad on the team...they just never get talked about. Good luck Troop and thanks for the memories!

Bottom line: Trooper Taylor wouldn't have been telling his swell stories to your cousin if he didn't want something from him. All good CFB recruiters can talk the talk. Wish TT would have sold Auburn as well he sold the idea he was their pal.

WOW. That's sad. It's more to life than football man. He wasn't just trying to be their pal...many thought of him as a father figure. If he was just trying to "sell" my cousin he wouldn't be picking up the phone to call or answer his calls. He wouldn't drop by his home in the off season when he came home for summers. I don't have ANY issue with the man being let go at all. That just comes with the changing of coaches...that's how it works sometimes.

I told you, most people do not care about the players. The only thing that matters is if they perform and rack up W's

I think Trooper was an extremely valuable member of our staff. He is maybe the best recruiter in the country and did a very good job coaching receivers. Remember how bad our receivers were under Tubs. They couldn't catch a cold. Trooper did a great job teaching them to catch the ball. He has brought in some top notch talent. I don't blame Trooper for our problems. I think a lot of Auburn fans just did not like him because of the backward hat and towel. We are going to miss Trooper and our recruiting will suffer for it. A lot of rednecks just did not like him, period, for obvious reasons.

Ok, so those "rednecks" you claim hate TT for obvious reasons also line up to hope that Tracy Rocker comes back???????

Overplaying of the race card is beyond pathetic and so are your words here Division N. Of course, idiotic posts and whining about moderation are your game. If you're not a troll you may as well be, because your posts are as productive as a troll's.

No one is saying TT isnt a good guy and recruiter. The handwriting is on the wall though as far as his coddling of players and the effects of such behavior. Tennessee faithful didn't miss him and his time was limited at OSU for the exact reasons he got crap canned here. Racism has nothing to do with it. Results on the field and attitudes on and off the field do.

Ok, so those "rednecks" you claim hate TT for obvious reasons also line up to hope that Tracy Rocker comes back???????

Overplaying of the race card is beyond pathetic and so are your words here Division N. Of course, idiotic posts and whining about moderation are your game. If you're not a troll you may as well be, because your posts are as productive as a troll's.

No one is saying TT isnt a good guy and recruiter. The handwriting is on the wall though as far as his coddling of players and the effects of such behavior. Tennessee faithful didn't miss him and his time was limited at OSU for the exact reasons he got crap canned here. Racism has nothing to do with it. Results on the field and attitudes on and off the field do.

I'm not even sure what a "Troll" is. I am a total Auburn fan. I understand that when I say something someone does not agree with, but can't argue about, they result to name calling. It was very effective in kindergarten. Not so much as adults. Yes, the redneck faction has been on Trooper Taylor from the beginning of his Auburn career. They don't like his mannerisms and hat direction. Why you brought Tracy Rocker into the discussion is beyond me. Does Rocker wear his hat backward? If he did, the rednecks would be upset with him also. However, if a coach dips and spits and talks like a country cracker, that suits them just fine. I just don't think Trooper got a fair shake. That is my opinion. If calling me names is your argument, then you don't have a point of view, just a baseless arrogance.

I'm not even sure what a "Troll" is. I am a total Auburn fan. I understand that when I say something someone does not agree with, but can't argue about, they result to name calling. It was very effective in kindergarten. Not so much as adults. Yes, the redneck faction has been on Trooper Taylor from the beginning of his Auburn career. They don't like his mannerisms and hat direction. Why you brought Tracy Rocker into the discussion is beyond me. Does Rocker wear his hat backward? If he did, the rednecks would be upset with him also. However, if a coach dips and spits and talks like a country cracker, that suits them just fine. I just don't think Trooper got a fair shake. That is my opinion. If calling me names is your argument, then you don't have a point of view, just a baseless arrogance.

You are accusing others of "baseless arrogance" ? That's rich. And now you are resorting to the same kind of racial stereotypes you profess to deplore. Nice. Remember, you brought race into this. Have you, even for a moment, contemplated the possibility that the people who don't like antics such as the backward hat and chest bumps during games might feel it was juvenile and demeaning regardless of the coach's race? Football fans generally want their coaches to carry themselves like Bear Bryant, Shug Jordan, Eddie Robinson,James Franklin or Curtis Luper. Not like CTT. Some people may have felt CTT was a breath of fresh air. Some never did. Some never could. But none of them I dare say, are any more narrow-minded than you seem to be.

Ok, now I'm feeling better about the hire of Gus. It appears he is putting his stamp on the program and not just a yes man. Hopefully he can find a good replacement.

This is the first time I have felt badly about hiring Gus. I thought, since he knew the staff that he could keep the really good recruiters, especially Trooper Taylor. We do not have anyone to replace him. This new staff that Gus is hiring sounds like really good coaches, but lily white and not known for recruiting excellence. I'm disappointed with Gus. I thought he would be more careful to keep Luper and Trooper and keep our recruiting top notch. This is bothersome, not just for the upcoming year but for down the road.

If Gus is not retaining the best recruiters(in some folk's opinion only) on the staff, at the risk of loosing many top recruits, it tells me Gus feels these"recruiters" were part of the meltdown last year. More than a recruiter or even a good on field coach, if you plan to stay around long you better have guys you know will not turn on you. I will always believe dissension started with a coach(s) and filtered down to the players. I don't know who, but I doubt it was the three that came on board last. These were supposed to be professionals carrying out the directives of the one who they agreed to work for- and was payed handsomly for as well. Every single problem has been put at xCGC's feet, but I know the entire staff was not pulling the same direction and working as one! I am sure xCGC knows who turned on him and I am sure Gus has talked to him. Only a fool thinks a cheating woman won't cheat on him!

If Gus is not retaining the best recruiters(in some folk's opinion only) on the staff, at the risk of loosing many top recruits, it tells me Gus feels these"recruiters" were part of the meltdown last year. More than a recruiter or even a good on field coach, if you plan to stay around long you better have guys you know will not turn on you. I will always believe dissension started with a coach(s) and filtered down to the players. I don't know who, but I doubt it was the three that came on board last. These were supposed to be professionals carrying out the directives of the one who they agreed to work for- and was payed handsomly for as well. Every single problem has been put at xCGC's feet, but I know the entire staff was not pulling the same direction and working as one! I am sure xCGC knows who turned on him and I am sure Gus has talked to him. Only a fool thinks a cheating woman won't cheat on him!

Yes.

I'm still keeping my signed Trooper Towel. WDE!

If I had one, I would too. ;)

I'm keeping my Trooper towel, but if Gus determines that Coach Trooper was part of the problem that infected the Auburn team at increasing levels since 2010, he has to go. Really, the best thing was probably to clean house and start over, that way no player has an "old buddy" coach he can run to and cry to when the big, bad new guys make him bust his butt.

I wish all of the old staff well and thank them for some great games, but there has been a cancer infecting our team and the best way to cure it is to cut the entire mess out.

What do you mean when you say "lily white"?

I am a bit puzzled on the "We don't have anyone to replace him" statement.

Wondering how well EJ recruits? Go to the South Carolina website and pick out the defensive guys on the team from the last four years.

You should remember a couple. Why should you remember? Because the Auburn recruiters couldn't close the deal on the BIG TIME names there.

Biggest Auburn decommit in the last few years? Try TJ Yeldon. Who was his recruiter/ position coaches to be?

JMO

Before you demean Malzahn with that "lily white" comment..... why don't we let him hire the rest of his staff.....he has only hired an OC and a DC. Good grief.

Gus got rid of a decent recruiter with terrible player development skills. What's the big deal?

Let's name all of the best recievers (with stats) over the last couple of years.

You start...

Then, lets name all of the potentially good recievers who haven't produced. We'll keep that list and review after the next two or three seasons. ( Even without a WR coach hired yet, I bet the stats improve)

You guys are all killing me.

When a New HC is hired it's a rare occurance to see him keep a coach from the previous staff. The new HC wan't shis own people ion there, not someone from the previous coaches staff.

You all act like a new HC keeping the old coaches staff happens at every school. It just isn't so.

As for players leaving because TT is let go. I want players that want to play for Auburn not for a position coach or a recruiter. I want players that want to play for Auburn because we are winners not because the guy who recruited them is their buddy.

TT is gone GET OVER IT!

Exactly.

The coaches being buddy-buddy last season is a big reason why we had so many problems. It's nice to see someone clean house and have the outlook of, "We will get them back". He had to do what he had to do. I'm all for it and ready to see what this new chapter in our favorite football team turns out.

I can understand doubting Jay Jacobs and his role in this but not Rich McGlynn. its a little troubling that Rich was involving and to me it hints to at least some truth to the rumors about TT & the NCAA.

I didn't call you a name, I don't know you. My remarks were aimed at your behavior and remarks, which are often idiotic. Damn near always. You don't know what a troll is? Yet, you follow that up with pledging your allegiance to Auburn? *snicker*.

So, if someone dislikes someone wearing their hat backwards they are a "redneck"? That is one of the stupidest conclusions I have heard in my entire life. Many people think it looks stupid, whether it is a black, white, Asian, etc. person. It personally never bothered me, nor did his antics on the sideline. It was fun when we were winning.

My problem with him started when the team went in the toilet. Investigation into the matter revealed that his story has been similar everywhere he goes. Tenny, then OSU. He was an asst. HC here so he carries a share of the blame, like it or not.

I thank TT for his time here and the early results. He seems like a really good guy. I wish him luck as I think most here do.

Play the race card if you must, it's unfounded and pathetic. It speaks volumes of your character or possible complete lack thereof. I'm not saying you are either a troll or just a babbling idiot based on your blathering on this site, that would be rude. What I am saying is don't be shocked when someone identifies you as either one, because if you aren't, it's really hard to tell.

I didn't call you a name, I don't know you. My remarks were aimed at your behavior and remarks, which are often idiotic. Damn near always. You don't know what a troll is? Yet, you follow that up with pledging your allegiance to Auburn? *snicker*.

So, if someone dislikes someone wearing their hat backwards they are a "redneck"? That is one of the stupidest conclusions I have heard in my entire life. Many people think it looks stupid, whether it is a black, white, Asian, etc. person. It personally never bothered me, nor did his antics on the sideline. It was fun when we were winning.

My problem with him started when the team went in the toilet. Investigation into the matter revealed that his story has been similar everywhere he goes. Tenny, then OSU. He was an asst. HC here so he carries a share of the blame, like it or not.

I thank TT for his time here and the early results. He seems like a really good guy. I wish him luck as I think most here do.

Play the race card if you must, it's unfounded and pathetic. It speaks volumes of your character or possible complete lack thereof. I'm not saying you are either a troll or just a babbling idiot based on your blathering on this site, that would be rude. What I am saying is don't be shocked when someone identifies you as either one, because if you aren't, it's really hard to tell.

No such thing as a race card and let's not pretend that some of the comments made against Trooper weren't racial. However, if the compliance team came to the decision that he needed to go then I'm sure the right decision was made

There are too many people here calling names or making insinuations here that have no good motives.

Be they a troll or not. We have plenty of sterotypes of all to go around but why share them ?

TT is gone, if you don't have an agenda, why are you still posting negative and combative comments?

Peace Luv and Tigers

Namecalling ? :headscratch:

Archived