Early Enrollees and # of signees

msg6367

SIAP but I searched and couldn't find anything.

Does anyone have the names of those enrolling early?

From my calculation (removing seniors and transfers), we have approximately 60 remaining on scholarship. Since we signed around 20 last year (robinson and Williams weren't cleared by NCAA and Pike transferred from that list) we have open slots to count early enrollees back to last year. If we sign a full class of 25 we'll be right at the 85 limit (providing everybody qualifies). Since we know there will be additional attrition and we have room to count backwards, how many do you thing we sign in this class? Texas A&M already has 34 committments and Georgia has 30 and they both have room just like we do

From my calculation (removing seniors and transfers), we have approximately 60 remaining on scholarship. Since we signed around 20 last year (robinson and Williams weren't cleared by NCAA and Pike transferred from that list) we have open slots to count early enrollees back to last year. If we sign a full class of 25 we'll be right at the 85 limit (providing everybody qualifies). Since we know there will be additional attrition and we have room to count backwards, how many do you thing we sign in this class? Texas A&M already has 34 committments and Georgia has 30 and they both have room just like we do

I say this respectfully but you are not close on our numbers. As things stand today we have 80 on scholly and 13 seniors. that leaves 67 before any other attrition. So we can sign 18 right now. 19 if CW leaves. As for EEs, being at 80 right now we can have 5 players be EEs. That number grows depending on if we had any December graduates. As for where they count EEs can count backwards or current. Since we have 18 signees from last year, 22-4 for Hutch, JaQuay, Zeke, and Jovon, we can in theory count 7 EEs to 2012 if there is room under the 85 to do so. Right now we have 1 in CAM but with the potential of a few more. Expect things to change based on attrition but that is where things stand today.

Oh an unless 2 of their current freshman signing class is not on the team TAM will have to let 2 go or tell them to pay a semester because the max they can have is 32.

I say this respectfully but you are not close on our numbers. As things stand today we have 80 on scholly and 13 seniors. that leaves 67 before any other attrition. So we can sign 18 right now. 19 if CW leaves. As for EEs, being at 80 right now we can have 5 players be EEs. That number grows depending on if we had any December graduates. As for where they count EEs can count backwards or current. Since we have 18 signees from last year, 22-4 for Hutch, JaQuay, Zeke, and Jovon, we can in theory count 7 EEs to 2012 if there is room under the 85 to do so. Right now we have 1 in CAM but with the potential of a few more. Expect things to change based on attrition but that is where things stand today.

It's probably closer to 62-63. From the scholarship breakdown on the AU football forum, it was 65 and that list includes Westerman and Burgess (dad said he probably wouldn't return since he has his degree). My original numbers didn't include walk-ons that were awarded scholarships (i.e. Fisher, Lembke).

Per the AU athletic website, the current and former football graduates in Dec were:

"The football graduates include T'Sharvan Bell (Kissimmee, Fla.), Joel Bonomolo (Metairie, La.), Harris Gaston (Bessemer, Ala.), Philip Lutzenkirchen (Marietta, Ga.), Spencer Pybus (Dothan, Ala.), Ashton Richardson (New Orleans, La.) and Vance Smith (Pace, Fla.). "

Per the AU athletic website, the current and former football graduates in Dec were:

"The football graduates include T'Sharvan Bell (Kissimmee, Fla.), Joel Bonomolo (Metairie, La.), Harris Gaston (Bessemer, Ala.), Philip Lutzenkirchen (Marietta, Ga.), Spencer Pybus (Dothan, Ala.), Ashton Richardson (New Orleans, La.) and Vance Smith (Pace, Fla.). "

Some of the guys that are "seniors" have already graduated, not yet graduated, will not graduate, etc. But their designation as a senior as E listed is based on athletic eligibility being used up.

Some of the guys that are "seniors" have already graduated, not yet graduated, will not graduate, etc. But their designation as a senior as E listed is based on athletic eligibility being used up.

That's why I think we will sign a full class of 25 plus an extra 1 or 2 early enrollees to count back to last year......which means a signing class of around 27. I know E disagrees with me but that's my opinion on how many we sign.

That's why I think we will sign a full class of 25 plus an extra 1 or 2 early enrollees to count back to last year......which means a signing class of around 27. I know E disagrees with me but that's my opinion on how many we sign.

I am not saying I disagree with you on that part. It is just dependent on a good bit of attrition happening. Right now we can sign 18. Some of the December grads are not on Scholly and not viable to this discussion. I am not sure who is running the roster on the football forum but they are incorrect. I just recounted and we have 79 on scholly. Also you should count the walk ons that got a scholly til we are otherwise notified those schollies will be pulled. based on the numbers of December grads above we could have had 10 EEs in theory.

Quoting ellitor: "Since we have 18 signees from last year, 22-4 for Hutch, JaQuay, Zeke, and Jovon, we can in theory count 7 EEs to 2012 if there is room under the 85 to do so. Right now we have 1 in CAM but with the potential of a few more."

Not exactly. Those four that didn't make it in still count, as per the new SEC rules. Starting last year, they count number SIGNED, whether the guys make it in or not.. We SIGNED 22, so we can count three back on the '11 class.

Assuming we get three early enrolees, we could sign a maximum of 28. I've been saying since June that we'd sign 25. Now with the coaching change I think we'll sign as many as we can, up to 28 if we can get that many legitimate prospects.

People always underestimate normal attrition, thus worry too much about the 85 limit. In a normal year we'd have 7 to 9 drop out before noses are counted in August. With a coaching change, 15 wouldn't be a surprise.

Quoting ellitor: "Since we have 18 signees from last year, 22-4 for Hutch, JaQuay, Zeke, and Jovon, we can in theory count 7 EEs to 2012 if there is room under the 85 to do so. Right now we have 1 in CAM but with the potential of a few more."

Not exactly. Those four that didn't make it in still count, as per the new SEC rules. Starting last year, they count number SIGNED, whether the guys make it in or not.. We SIGNED 22, so we can count three back on the '11 class.

Assuming we get three early enrolees, we could sign a maximum of 28. I've been saying since June that we'd sign 25. Now with the coaching change I think we'll sign as many as we can, up to 28 if we can get that many legitimate prospects.

People always underestimate normal attrition, thus worry too much about the 85 limit. In a normal year we'd have 7 to 9 drop out before noses are counted in August. With a coaching change, 15 wouldn't be a surprise.

I was the original author of that thought. I was wrong. We can count back 7 if we had 7 EEs.

I was the original author of that thought. I was wrong. We can count back 7 if we had 7 EEs.

You aren't the original author of where I learned that. Got a link that says the SEC backed off on counting the number of signees instead of counting enrolees? Because that's what was published by the SEC when they made the new rules.

You aren't the original author of where I learned that. Got a link that says the SEC backed off on counting the number of signees instead of counting enrolees? Because that's what was published by the SEC when they made the new rules.

Well based on TAMU having 34 commits when they should be only signing 32 (because they enrolled 18 last year with no EEs) based on your and my original thought I think the release and I were wrong.

I think A & M has taken more commits than they can sign. Maybe they've told some they'll grayshirt, or maybe they will just pull offers as better prospects become available, or maybe they think they are operating under Big-12 rules or something.

Whatever, had the SEC backed off of the "counting signees" rule that would have been a major change and would have made headlines. There have been no such headlines, so I believe the rule stands as published last year.

How many commits TAMU has accepted is their problem, it does not indicate a rule change.

All the A&M people on TD are claiming that a number of their commits are expected to either decommit or have grade issues as they move on and do not plan on signing them. With their big boost in recruiting of late a lot of the earlier guys are going to be at risk to get their scholly pulled

It is almost like in middle school when you tried out for a sport and signed your name on the sheet, "Ok guys this year we are not cutting anyone some of you though will have to by your own uniform,but we will talk about that later",geez if that was us we w8ukd be on espn until next yea4.

No you weren't, E. I remember the discussion about that very rule; Mikey is exactly right, we can only count three back to last year, but that's from a rule that only went into effect this recruiting season. If A&M signed more than 18 but are only counting the ones they enrolled, that means they get a freebie year for not yet technically being a part of the conference last February.

No you weren't, E. I remember the discussion about that very rule; Mikey is exactly right, we can only count three back to last year, but that's from a rule that only went into effect this recruiting season. If A&M signed more than 18 but are only counting the ones they enrolled, that means they get a freebie year for not yet technically being a part of the conference last February.

Well Bryan Matthews said we can count back 5 and maybe 6. He is positive that we can replace Hutch and JaQuay because they were non qualifiers. He is not sure if we could do the same with J-Rob or not.

This was a quote from an SEC official in January...

“If a player signs, he counts without regard to whether or not he actually enrolls,” SEC spokesman Charles Bloom said in an e-mail Monday. “ ‘Back counting’ is only permitted for mid-year enrollees who are able to be included as an initial counter for the academic year in which they enroll. ‘Back counting’ is an artificial term for this discussion and not accurate as the question is about the signing limit.”

Take from that what you will... but unless that was walked back, it sounds like you count regardless of enrollment as an initial counter. keep in mind this is in terms of NLIs, not scholarships. You don't have to sign an NLI to get a scholarship and by NCAA rule of 25/85 you could take more kids as long as they forgo the NLI signing and you have room under the 25 per class 85 per roster rule, in my understanding.

“If a player signs, he counts without regard to whether or not he actually enrolls,” SEC spokesman Charles Bloom said in an e-mail Monday. “ ‘Back counting’ is only permitted for mid-year enrollees who are able to be included as an initial counter for the academic year in which they enroll. ‘Back counting’ is an artificial term for this discussion and not accurate as the question is about the signing limit.”

Take from that what you will... but unless that was walked back, it sounds like you count regardless of enrollment as an initial counter. keep in mind this is in terms of NLIs, not scholarships. You don't have to sign an NLI to get a scholarship and by NCAA rule of 25/85 you could take more kids as long as they forgo the NLI signing and you have room under the 25 per class 85 per roster rule, in my understanding.

Thanks for doing the legwork and finding the link!

Read more here: http://www.macon.com...l#storylink=cpy

I am glad that is finally settled. Even though I second guessed myself today because I could not find a viable link, does it bother anyone else that i was getting these rules right more than recruiting analysts that get paid to know this stuff?...On another note this may explain why our coaches are not taking Lemond as an EE. We are recruiting at least 3 juco prospects very hard that can sign in a few days and enroll in January. Those being 5* DT Lavon Hooks, 3* OG Devonte Danzey, and 4* DE Za’Darius Smith. All three of which are visiting this weekend.

I am glad that is finally settled. Even though a second guessed myself today because I could not find a viable link, does it bother anyone else that i was getting these rules right more than recruiting analysts that get paid to know this stuff?

:blink: .......... :headscratch: .............. :gofig:

E-

We disagree here and there, but when it comes to your recruiting rules, regulations etc. you are spot on, as you can be(ever changing). You are a recruiting junkie and then some,appreciate your effort and honesty when it comes to recruiting.

E-

We disagree here and there, but when it comes to your recruiting rules, regulations etc. you are spot on, as you can be(ever changing). You are a recruiting junkie and then some,appreciate your effort and honesty when it comes to recruiting.

I second this motion.

Archived