Melvin Smith Named Cornerbacks Coach At Auburn

DyeHardAllTheWay

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well NO Tracy Rocker :angry: Figures

When T Rocker turns his back on AU, what can you do other than support those coaches that decide they want to coach at AU? Smith is another solid hire on the D side of the ball.

wde

CGM basically hired a second head coach strictly for the defense when he hired EJ, and the subsequent hires have not left me wanting. I am enjoying the staff that is being put together. I can't wait to see the RB and WR hires.

Casey Woods (who was really the on-the-field WR coach while he was a GA at AU) as WR coach and Tim Horton as the RB coach would be a very good way to round out the coaching staff.

When T Rocker turns his back on AU, what can you do other than support those coaches that decide they want to coach at AU? Smith is another solid hire on the D side of the ball.

wde

Oh come on now. Tracy didn't turn his back on AU. He walked away from a bad situation with a micromanaging coach. We don't know how serious a candidate he was to join the staff; maybe CEJ thought he wasn't the best fit for DL coach, or maybe Tracy just didn't want to go backwards in his career and will stay in the NFL. Who knows?

The important thing is that we've got an outstanding staff lined up already, and I suspect the last few pieces will make it even better.

wde

:rollin:

Whatever.

Tracy Rocker is about as AU as the Tiger .

If the position we had to offer did not work into Rocker's career plans, such is life.

Coach Malzahn appears able to identify and recruit coaches. He'll find some capable men that want jobs here.

wde

Whatever.

Well tell me what really happened. I have been a HUGE proponent of T Rocker, but he was reportedly offered the job, but turned it down; therefore, for whatever reason, T Rocker turned his back on AU at this time. Time to move on.

wde

I think that we have to remember that being an AU fan is important to us; however, it is NOT our careers (for most of us) Rocker's weekly salary to feel himself and his family comes from football. So I do not blame him for getting possibly paid more in the pros than at AU. Heck if I was in line for a raise I would take it if possible.

As to the Rocker situation, we cannot speculate on why he did what he did or didn't do. We don't know. As much as we value AU loyalty, we must also understand people like TR have families to consider. Sometimes they want to put down roots. Sometimes a job, no matter how appealing on the surface, is not a good fit for either side. We simply cannot force our loyalty template over a situation where it has real world implications on those directly involved... and like it or not, we're simply not.

wde

Whatever.

Well tell me what really happened. I have been a HUGE proponent of T Rocker, but he was reportedly offered the job, but turned it down; therefore, for whatever reason, T Rocker turned his back on AU at this time. Time to move on.

wde

Turned his back on AU? Really? Stupid statement with ZERO foundation. Seems you are just another person looking for a reason to complain. There is NO WAY you know he was offered the job and turned it down unless you are in the administration dept. at Auburn, and I seriously doubt you are. Why is it so hard for people to just be happy?

wde

Whatever.

wde

Turned his back on AU? Really? Stupid statement with ZERO foundation. Seems you are just another person looking for a reason to complain. There is NO WAY you know he was offered the job and turned it down unless you are in the administration dept. at Auburn, and I seriously doubt you are. Why is it so hard for people to just be happy?

I am perfectly happy. Not a stupid statement at all. He was offered the job and yes I DO know this. He turned us down/turned his back on AU for whatever reason. I have no animosity towards T Rocker, but I am very happy Smith and RG decided to say yes.

wde

Whatever.

wde

I am perfectly happy. Not a stupid statement at all. He was offered the job and yes I DO know this. He turned us down/turned his back on AU for whatever reason. I have no animosity towards T Rocker, but I am very happy Smith and RG decided to say yes.

Doesn't it stand to reason that coaching Dline in the NFL pays more than coaching Dline at Auburn... and that some people wish to excel and work towards better positions with their careers? Someone is likely to take Rocker from the Titans as a DC in sooner fashion than take him from Dline coach at AU as a DC. Auburn would be a step down IMO for anyone wishing to make more money and get further with their career.

wde

Whatever.

wde

Doesn't it stand to reason that coaching Dline in the NFL pays more than coaching Dline at Auburn... and that some people wish to excel and work towards better positions with their careers? Someone is likely to take Rocker from the Titans as a DC in sooner fashion than take him from Dline coach at AU as a DC. Auburn would be a step down IMO for anyone wishing to make more money and get further with their career.

That is fine. But we have several posters on here complaining that we "missed out" on T Rocker when that is not the case. We offered him the position with good money when T Rocker has a good chance of being unemployed within 24 hours after the clock hits zero of the Titans last game. T Rocker decided to turn us down. He is a very good DL coach and really could have helped AU when AU really needed him. He made the decision not to. Like I said, I think T Rocker is a good coach and really wanted him at AU, but he did not want AU at this time. What will AU folks say if T Rocker decides being the DL coach at uga is where his career is leading him?

wde

Certainly ready to see our DBs pic some passes off this year. I think Fisher was the only guy that got a pic in our secondary. Taking someone away from DM is nice as well.

War Eagle !

wde

Whatever.

wde

That is fine. But we have several posters on here complaining that we "missed out" on T Rocker when that is not the case. We offered him the position with good money when T Rocker has a good chance of being unemployed within 24 hours after the clock hits zero of the Titans last game. T Rocker decided to turn us down. He is a very good DL coach and really could have helped AU when AU really needed him. He made the decision not to. Like I said, I think T Rocker is a good coach and really wanted him at AU, but he did not want AU at this time. What will AU folks say if T Rocker decides being the DL coach at uga is where his career is leading him?

wde

True, but that is a triple stacked hypothetical sandwich. I'll let someone else gobble on that one, diet time.

MSU folks right now are sounding a lot like the GA people from last week. They're saying he was a great recruiter and coach for them years ago, but hasn't been serviceable for them lately :laugh:

Turning down a job does not equal to turning his back - he may have his eyes on a pro career or not, I don't know. And if decides to go to UGA, then that is his choice. AU will just have to line up head to head to them and play just like they did Garner for over 15 years. I am only interested in the coaches we have, not the ones that decided not to come,got away etc.

How is he as a recruiter?

Gus says he's one of the top recruiters in the SEC.

So Garner, Harbison and Smith replaced Trooper, Luper and Thigpen on the recruiting side of the equation. I think Gus is doing just fine.

Welcome to the Auburn Family Coach Smith, and War Eagle!!!!!! I wish you the very best of everything in the future!!

Extremely impressive staff Gus has put together. 98 years of coaching experience and 68 years in the SEC alone. I don't see a weak link in any of our D coaches. What a fantastic Christmas present for the Auburn Family.

Welcome to the Auburn Family Coach Smith, and War Eagle!!!!!! I wish you the very best of everything in the future!!

Extremely impressive staff Gus has put together. 98 years of coaching experience and 68 years in the SEC alone. I don't see a weak link in any of our D coaches. What a fantastic Christmas present for the Auburn Family.

A stunning difference compared to what we had last year. Numbers don't lie.

AUsome! D staff looks great! Honestly, I dont expect big names for the other spots on O. Just need guys who can coach the position specifically for this offense. Gus' O recruits itself. We'll be fine in that regard.

I have been very impressed with Gus so far. I am cautiously optimistic about the immediate future of the program!

I'd say we have got a great D staff. Looking forward to seeing the turnaround....

"Johnson, Harbison, Garner and Smith have logged a combined 98 years of college coaching experience – including 68 in the SEC alone. For comparison, Auburn’s 2012 defensive assistants (Brian VanGorder, Willie Martinez, Tommy Thigpen, Mike Pelton) had a combined 17 years of SEC coaching experience going into the season.

http://www.wareagleextra.com/#storylink=cpy#storylink=cpy

Archived