Melvin Smith Named Cornerbacks Coach At Auburn

DyeHardAllTheWay

It appears that as a DC at Alabama, South Carolina and Mississippi State he also coached OLBs. Does that mean we may have a ILB Coach as well? As Head Coach at Southern Mississippi he used two DB Coaches a LB Coach and a DL Coach. Using this a reference we may have two DB Coaches, two LB Coaches and at least one DL Coach, possibly two. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the DB Coaches be a DB / ST Coach combined.

The total limit is nine. You're not leaving any room for the offense! Expect a total of four defensive coaches. That means we hire one more.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nine assistant coaches. I expect four defensive coaches, one special teams coach and four offensive coaches plus Coach Malzahn as the fifth offensive coach. Or we go with five defensive coaches with one of the coaches helping a graduate assistant with special teams.

I would love this hire over either Nix or Rocker. This guy scouted, signed and developed 3 star J Bank into a potential 1st round draft pick and former 2 stars D Slay and C Broomfield into mid round draft picks.

Exactly the 2 names I think of.

Wow, Gus is certainly creating a star studded Defensive coaching staff.

Wow, Gus is certainly creating a star studded Defensive coaching staff.

We need sho-nuff coaching talent...and CGM is bringing it in. Look for D to be much better next year. Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that spring practice on the defensive side of the ball may bring back some memories of some old Pat Dye spring practices. Faint of heart need not apply!

CGM basically hired a second head coach strictly for the defense when he hired EJ, and the subsequent hires have not left me wanting. I am enjoying the staff that is being put together. I can't wait to see the RB and WR hires.

What is really interesting is that we are not just getting anyone, we are going to other SEC schools, as well as Clemson to get our defensive coaches. It has to have an impact on their recruiting, as well as be a slap in the face to the programs.

This is a great hire! This will pay huge dividends with our secondary and interceptions. I am very excited with Gus' hires. I won't lie and say I wasn't disappointed when Gus was named. I am totally on board with what he is doing. We are very fortunate to have him!

War Eagle!

Great Hire!! I can't wait to actually see our secondary turn around and look for the ball, not play 15 yards off the ball and be aggressive!!

WDE!!

I like the defensive coaching staff he is putting in place. Actual legacy coaches with great resumes and track records of success. Coaches that can help players to continue to become men and better athletes at the same time. Also high on discipline and fundamentals.

Great hire! My first recruiting wish is for him to bring S Antonio Conner to the Plains. He'd be the perfect Prowler/Spur for this defense.

Archived