2013 3* JUCO QB Nick Marshall signs with AU!

TIGERINATLANTA

I say if jj doesn't win the QB battle definitively then we redshirt him. It was nice giving Wallace playing time but the ship has already sunk and it didn't need a new captain. Wish he'd of redshirted although I loved the fight he showed.

I think you are selling Frasier short if you think he cannot win the qb job in CGM system. It will be interesting. In fact, both JJ and Marshall are not going to be here for spring workouts.

Bingo, KF and JW on the other hand will. I really hate for all of you to sell these guys short. ONE OF THOSE 2 WILL BE THE STARTER AT QB.

...+1

You don't bring in a juco guy who averages 380 yards of total offense a game, accounted for 38 TDs plus had yards per attempt and yards per completion averages in juco that would have put him in the top 5 in NCAA if you are not going to give him every chance to be the starter

++

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I say if jj doesn't win the QB battle definitively then we redshirt him. It was nice giving Wallace playing time but the ship has already sunk and it didn't need a new captain. Wish he'd of redshirted although I loved the fight he showed.

I think you are selling Frasier short if you think he cannot win the qb job in CGM system. It will be interesting. In fact, both JJ and Marshall are not going to be here for spring workouts.

Bingo, KF and JW on the other hand will. I really hate for all of you to sell these guys short. ONE OF THOSE 2 WILL BE THE STARTER AT QB.

...+1

You don't bring in a juco guy who averages 380 yards of total offense a game, accounted for 38 TDs plus had yards per attempt and yards per completion averages in juco that would have put him in the top 5 in NCAA if you are not going to give him every chance to be the starter

++

+++

I just can't help but think that the QB race will be between Wallace and Marshall. It seems almost a given that Johnson will redshirt with the addition of Marshall, which I think will turn out very nicely in the long run. Though, I wouldn't put it past him to give the others a run for their money.

Wallace showed promise towards the end of the season by showing the ability to sustain drives (even if it was garbage time), taking command of the offense, not hesitating, and demanding his teammates' respect. That was all as a true freshman. Along with his athleticsm, he seems to possess all the intangibles to be a SEC caliber QB. I don't think anyone will outwork him.

I have a good feeling about Marshall after reading a post from Jonesy on TD talking about how his team's defense this past season was abysmal; it often put the offense in tough situations with their backs against the wall trying to play catch-up. That might help explain the high number of ints. He is an athletic freak with a strong arm as evidenced by his highlight tape. I'd also like to think Gus isn't merely scrambling to fill a QB spot from Moseley's departure and knows something about this guy given that he's been recruiting him since his days at Arky State.

The good thing is that Gus will have 5 scholarship guys on the roster that will be available to play QB. Two of the five will also be able to play other positions at a very high level. There will also be some good eligibility separation between them and one should be able to redshirt for even more. The bad thing is that Gus will be limited because he will only have 2 of them for Spring practice and a new offense for them to learn.

Jr.- Frazier- Spring practice.

Jr.- Marshall- No Spring practice. Can also play the corner or safety position.

So-Wallace- Spring practice.

Fr.-Johnson- No Spring practice.

Fr.-Smith- No Spring practice. Can also play the wide receiver position.

3 horse race....IMO ...and currently nobody not even the coaches know who the starter will be, but the competition at the position will be a benefit for the entire team.

...+1

I get what ur saying E, I was just thinking with all the progress(hopefully) the other guys do would be a clearer choice than tossing NM in. I just think JW has an excellent shot at it as well.

...+1

Only if he is their in time for spring...

Marshall is a jr with one year of SEC play and a great year of Jr College that ran a similar offense. He could miss a spring and catch up easy in the summer workouts and fall camp. Two years of college ball matures a player.

...+1

I get what ur saying E, I was just thinking with all the progress(hopefully) the other guys do would be a clearer choice than tossing NM in. I just think JW has an excellent shot at it as well.

He has the confidence but has to progress alot as a passer.

...+1

Only if he is their in time for spring...

Marshall is a jr with one year of SEC play and a great year of Jr College that ran a similar offense. He could miss a spring and catch up easy in the summer workouts and fall camp. Two years of college ball matures a player.

Sure Marshall is a jr with one year SEC experience but that year was at cornerback not QB. KF has run the HUNH since high school and has one year working directly under Gus and btw he is also a jr. he will also have a spring under his belt to further separate himself from NM. We have also seen that JW has skills that are very conducive to Gus' offense and he will also have a spring under his belt before NM arrives.... My bet is that NM is moved to CB by the middle of the season barring an injury bug..

Do you folks truly believe that Gus is signing a JUCO QB to come to AU and play CB? You really are kidding yourselves. :no:

He will be on campus for the summer and lots can happen during the "un-official' workouts during the summer. I like KF but I'm afraid he ought to be thinking about whether he can play WR next year.

Do you folks truly believe that Gus is signing a JUCO QB to come to AU and play CB? You really are kidding yourselves. :no:

He will be on campus for the summer and lots can happen during the "un-official' workouts during the summer. I like KF but I'm afraid he ought to be thinking about whether he can play WR next year.

He is bringing someone that is a heck of an athlete that played a lot of CB at Georgia as a freshman. But more than that he is bringing in an insurance policy because of the departure of Clint Mosley. He will get his shot but if I were a betting man I would bet barring an injury he will be a DB or WR at Auburn...

These kids need an education, I am not sure the U. of Auburn is the right place if they do not know where they are going in the first place.

It's amazing that some one say's it every year

To be fair, so does every QB that will suit up for Auburn in 2013.

No. Kiehl. is just the opposite. He has the tools but no confidence in himself as a QB or as a leader.

No. Kiehl. is just the opposite. He has the tools but no confidence in himself as a QB or as a leader.

Therefore he has to progress a lot as a passer (among other things) as well.....

[quote name=alexava'

timestamp='1358267993' post='1793608]

Until they flip and become their commits, then we poopoo them.

You spend way too much time thinking about turd commits.

He just wants to fit in with the other trolls.

Guys, what happens in Athens stays in Athens. It does not matter if he has gotten it together. Coach Garner would be the ONLY person able to evaluate that besides the kid himself and the Man Upstairs. If he is right with those two men then I will personally welcome him to Auburn University. I, myself, have had to ask for second chances in life as well as have a million others. Anyone of US, that can't see giving someone a second chance needs to check themselves. (Before they wreck themselves!LOL) Sorry. I didn't intend to end it that way, it just happened.

Thanks for setting me straight, I now know to not ask questions about previously dismissed players this football coaching staff is interested in.

all that may be true but he consistently struggled with his accuracy on even the easiest throws last year

all that may be true but he consistently struggled with his accuracy on even the easiest throws last year

That's because he was playing with no confidence hence not throwing with authority and being less accurate..

That's because he was playing with no confidence hence not throwing with authority and being less accurate..

LOL..okay. Im not sure what the reasons were and Im also not sure that what KF lacks can be coached. He's got all the physical tools, on that, we agree.

I expect Gus will want to win from game #1 and maybe has seen enough of KF to know what's what....and will not necessarily want to take a chance on struggling through a couple of the most winable games trying to "build his confidence".

Chiz spent a good part of last season unsuccessfully bouncing from one QB to the next trying to figure out who could LEAD the team.

Basically the coaches were faced with two bad choices most of the time: By that I mean....Chiz could either leave a guy in the game who was having an awful day and watch team disintegrate......or he could replace the QB after a few bad series.....and thus hurt his confidence and make all of the QBs afraid they would get pulled with their first mistake. So he tried both approaches over the season and it just got worse for the team.

JW might have a shot at it ....but I'm pretty convinced that the job is Nick's to lose...even while he is still in Kansas. I just pray his transcripts are OK.

LOL..okay. Im not sure what the reasons were and Im also not sure that what KF lacks can be coached. He's got all the physical tools, on that, we agree.

As I said he lacks confidence and that can be coached. It's the same thing as anything else in life. Performance suffers if a person does not believe or lives or plays scared.

This whole qb discussion is invalid if the o-line does not block better. I personally think the starter is going to be Keil but that is too far away now to really mean anything. If you actually watched the games last year you would have noticed that Kiel made some beautiful throws. Yes he missed some easy wide open throws and did throw alot of interceptions but having said that I have never seen a worse 3rd down team in my life. I had a bet going with my buddy predicting when Kiel, and JW, would get sacked on third down. Lets just say it happened often. I wish someone would put together a stat of how many 3rd down sacks we took and compare that to everyone else and also 3rd down plays in which the qb was hurried or sacked and compare that. That really makes a qb push the ball downfield. Also when you are consistently in 2nd or 3rd and 8 or more it makes that completion % go down and the ints go up. Kiel has just as much talent, if not more, as any qb we have or will have and alot of his problem can be fixed. Over throwing easy targets can be fixed. Alot of the time his stance was too wide and he was not consistently driving of his back foot to power the ball but when he did there was great zip on the ball and it was close enough to the wr to be caught. If you need more proof look at the Clemson game again. That throw to Reed in the endzone(the one reed could not get his feet in bounds) was perfect. I would also think that being back with Gus and his offense will help. My only concern is the decision making. I think GUs can help with that. Either way we have alot of work to have any qb playing at a high level.

As I said he lacks confidence and that can be coached. It's the same thing as anything else in life. Performance suffers if a person does not believe or lives or plays scared.

You certainly may be right. Im not convinced you are so, we'll see but, KF lacked a good bit more than just confidence in my opinion

You certainly may be right. Im not convinced you are so, we'll see but, KF lacked a good bit more than just confidence in my opinion

Agreed. I'd like to see KF excel, he seems like a good kid. However, he didn't show the talent or poise necessary last year to instill confidence in anyone. Wallace played behind the same line and under the same poor circumstances, but at least showed glimmers of hope and the desire to compete. That said, I'm rooting for Khiel to prove the omniscient "insiders" correct that he can be the player we all expected him to be.

Archived