2013 3* JUCO QB Nick Marshall signs with AU!

TIGERINATLANTA

He has the confidence but has to progress alot as a passer.

To be fair, so does every QB that will suit up for Auburn in 2013.

No. Kiehl. is just the opposite. He has the tools but no confidence in himself as a QB or as a leader.

all that may be true but he consistently struggled with his accuracy on even the easiest throws last year

That's because he was playing with no confidence hence not throwing with authority and being less accurate..

LOL..okay. Im not sure what the reasons were and Im also not sure that what KF lacks can be coached. He's got all the physical tools, on that, we agree.

As I said he lacks confidence and that can be coached. It's the same thing as anything else in life. Performance suffers if a person does not believe or lives or plays scared.

You certainly may be right. Im not convinced you are so, we'll see but, KF lacked a good bit more than just confidence in my opinion

Agreed. I'd like to see KF excel, he seems like a good kid. However, he didn't show the talent or poise necessary last year to instill confidence in anyone. Wallace played behind the same line and under the same poor circumstances, but at least showed glimmers of hope and the desire to compete. That said, I'm rooting for Khiel to prove the omniscient "insiders" correct that he can be the player we all expected him to be.

He was a true soph playing behind a line that liked to say Ole' on nearly every play. Hard to have confidence or "composure" when the big uglies are constantly in your face. Let's wait and see what happens with him under Malzahn's coaching before we right him off.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I expect Gus will want to win from game #1 and maybe has seen enough of KF to know what's what....and will not necessarily want to take a chance on struggling through a couple of the most winable games trying to "build his confidence".

Chiz spent a good part of last season unsuccessfully bouncing from one QB to the next trying to figure out who could LEAD the team.

Basically the coaches were faced with two bad choices most of the time: By that I mean....Chiz could either leave a guy in the game who was having an awful day and watch team disintegrate......or he could replace the QB after a few bad series.....and thus hurt his confidence and make all of the QBs afraid they would get pulled with their first mistake. So he tried both approaches over the season and it just got worse for the team.

JW might have a shot at it ....but I'm pretty convinced that the job is Nick's to lose...even while he is still in Kansas. I just pray his transcripts are OK.

Then he replaces Kiehl Frazier at the half of the Arky game, when he is 9 of 14 for 118 yds., when the score is only 10-0, when Arky's only TD comes on an opening drive of 80 yards in 10 plays. The final result ? Arky 24, AU 7 :dunno:

I hope you guys are right about KF, but I've seen nothing to make me think he'll be able to play QB in the SEC. Our line last year was awful, but his performance in the Chic Fil A Bowl behind a better line was the same. He couldn't get a pass off for worrying about the rush and throwing an interception. Jonathon Wallace is a leader, and Nick Marshall is an outstanding athlete who has already proven he can play at SEC.speed One of those two will be our opening day starter. I think it will be Marshall with Wallace as his backup. JJ gets a redshirt year.

Last time we talked about Nick there was the question about getting his transcript approved. I know he isn't supposed to graduate until May...does that mean that we have to wait until then to know if he qualifies...or is there some preliminary approval based on his progress to date?

Marshall will not be the QB. It's going to be between KF and JW and that's it. Everyone says JW showed a will to compete? Really? They were told to do the exact opposite of each other. KF was instructed to stand in the pocket and not run, Chiz said it, and KF said it in interviews. JW was told, one read, then tuck and run. It's not even close to the same thing. I'm not trying to smash JW but he wasn't in the same position as KF. And did he really play any better? KF played in CGM offense all through high school, was recruited by CGM to Auburn. KF will be back in a system he knows and a system he's thrived in before.

Last time we talked about Nick there was the question about getting his transcript approved. I know he isn't supposed to graduate until May...does that mean that we have to wait until then to know if he qualifies...or is there some preliminary approval based on his progress to date?

I talked with a Big UGA fan yesterday, he is a Big NM fan, said he got a bad rap at UGA. He said we have to get him qualified to enroll at Auburn.

Marshall will not be the QB. It's going to be between KF and JW and that's it. Everyone says JW showed a will to compete? Really? They were told to do the exact opposite of each other. KF was instructed to stand in the pocket and not run, Chiz said it, and KF said it in interviews. JW was told, one read, then tuck and run. It's not even close to the same thing. I'm not trying to smash JW but he wasn't in the same position as KF. And did he really play any better? KF played in CGM offense all through high school, was recruited by CGM to Auburn. KF will be back in a system he knows and a system he's thrived in before.

KF, is that you?

Obviously, he will have to pass his courses and graduate before he can be accepted at Auburn. He must be on track to do that or the coaches wouldn't have accepted his committment, but he still has to do the work. He ain't there yet. In that respect he's in the same situation as every high schooler we will sign. They've got to finish and graduate.

Ben Leard, Jason Campbell, and Brandon Cox all went through time periods where they sucked...their confidence was lacking and they made poor decisions. Over time, each improved and provided some high quality QB play for us.

Kiehl may do the same thing. Wallace showed heart, but was asked to run a handfull of plays, and demonstrated little. Kiehl played badly. Marshall may come in and be the guy. I think he is an insurance policy for Gus.

KF will be back in a system he knows and a system he's thrived in before.

I would like to believe that...but he has a lot to overcome. KF played QB under Gus for one season already so Gus should know what KF is able to do...which makes me wonder why he would go and bring in NM. Hope KF rebounds but ????? :dunno:

I would like to believe that...but he has a lot to overcome. KF played QB under Gus for one season already so Gus should know what KF is able to do...which makes me wonder why he would go and bring in NM. Hope KF rebounds but ????? :dunno:

KF played sparingly for 6 months in Gus's system when he was the 3rd string true freshman QB who only ran. This was also the year he came in after spring practice with very limited attention from Gus in the fall due to his 3rd string status. I think we'll see a much different KF this year, though he still might not win the starting job. He's got a lot of confidence-building to do if that's going to happen.

If anything, Gus has already proved that he isn't going to put all his eggs in one basket at any position. smart

KF played sparingly for 6 months in Gus's system when he was the 3rd string true freshman QB who only ran. This was also the year he came in after spring practice with very limited attention from Gus in the fall due to his 3rd string status. I think we'll see a much different KF this year, though he still might not win the starting job. He's got a lot of confidence-building to do if that's going to happen.

Yes, plus he will need to learn how to be a QB in the SEC: Hit open receivers out of the backfield, release the ball quicker, and stop keying on certain targets. He has a LOT of work to be done. I am not sure he can do it.

Which is why we have NM, JJ, and JS in this class.

Yes, plus he will need to learn how to be a QB in the SEC: Hit open receivers out of the backfield, release the ball quicker, and stop keying on certain targets. He has a LOT of work to be done. I am not sure he can do it.

Which is why we have NM, JJ, and JS in this class.

Also, I have to think CGM knew that Clint was not planning on returning to the team, and we desperately needed an experienced, ready-to-go QB. I think that Nick Marshall will push KF and JW to step up their games, and will also allow JJ to redshirt, which is what all SEC QB's need. Bringing in Nick Marshall isn't a sign that Malzahn has no faith in our current QB's, but rather insurance that we have 3 experienced signal callers, plus the talented freshman coming in.

May the best man win the job, and turn this ship around quickly!!!

Coaches accepting his commitment so that means they feel he is on pace.

Marshall will not be the QB. It's going to be between KF and JW and that's it.

Don't be so sure of that. As I said before you don't bring in a juco QB who had 38 total TDs. had 380 all purpose yards a game, and had yards per attempt plus yards per completetion averages that would be in the top 5 of the NCAA if you do not intend to give him every opportunity to win the job.

Marshall will not be the QB. It's going to be between KF and JW and that's it.

Don't be so sure of that. As I said before you don't bring in a juco QB who had 38 total TDs. had 380 all purpose yards a game, and had yards per attempt plus yards per completetion averages that would be in the top 5 of the NCAA if you do not intend to give him every opportunity to win the job.

This. Gus knows the QB play we had in 2011 and 2012 will not get it done. I think Marshall will be the starter in game 1 with JW as the #2 QB. I think JJ will redshirt unless he is clearly head and shoulders above Marshall and JW.

wde

I realize I'm gonna get blasted, but do all of you really think Kiehl will just roll over and play dead? He was asked to do something he had not ever done before. Take the hardship of last season and his ability to run Gus' offense and you have a pretty seasoned QB. If there were a way to do it, I would bet he starts next year. If not then you will see Marshall. I love JW, he did well last year. I just don't see him beating out either of those two. Wallace had the advantage of watching Kiehl struggle last year. It matters more than some folks think.

KF played sparingly for 6 months in Gus's system when he was the 3rd string true freshman QB who only ran.

See, that's the problem...he was a 5* QB and USA player of the year and could not get past Clint or Trotter, even with his sponsor, Gus, as the OC.

And then there was last year.....so now it's 2013 and there is just no reason to think that all of a sudden things will change. As I said, I'm pulling for him to do great....but I'm not betting on it.....and I don't think Gus is either.

I just hope we are able to field a guy that will pan out and start for multiple years. Getting very old going into every season with an unknown at QB. This will be, what, 6 years in a row? That's somewhat ridiculous at this level of football.

KF played sparingly for 6 months in Gus's system when he was the 3rd string true freshman QB who only ran.

See, that's the problem...he was a 5* QB and USA player of the year and could not get past Clint or Trotter, even with his sponsor, Gus, as the OC.

And then there was last year.....so now it's 2013 and there is just no reason to think that all of a sudden things will change. As I said, I'm pulling for him to do great....but I'm not betting on it.....and I don't think Gus is either.

I could be wrong but I think KF was a 4 Star QB coming out of HS. He did win USA Today Offensive Player of hte Year.

Archived