2013 3* DT Parker Cothren (Penn State signee)

ellitor

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heard from a school official that Gus was supposed to come visit PC today at school but he was out sick. I guess they are trying to make a push for him..

I hope so. He's a good'un

Weird that it hasn't been mentioned yet; but a recent report from VolQuest claims that Cothren has decided to stick with Penn State and that he wont be taking any more visits.

Weird that it hasn't been mentioned yet; but a recent report from VolQuest claims that Cothren has decided to stick with Penn State and that he wont be taking any more visits.

Read: He isn't going to UT.

This a post from his uncle about Parker

http://alabama.247sp...g-up-15721209/1

Today Parker (my nephew) picked up 3 offers - Auburn, Vandy, Ga Tech and Saturday got one from Tennessee. Florida State is coming in to see him play bball next week. I now have a completely different take on recruiting with Parker being recruited by these big time D1 schools. He is committed to Penn State (Coach LJ is a 1st class man) but was committed to Purdue before that. When he had to call Purdue and de-commit it absolutely killed him to have to make that call because of his relationship with the coaches. Coaching changes have a huge impact on these players and there are a ton of coaches shuffling around this year. As exciting as this may sound, the pressure these kids are under is unreal. Making a decision on a school with these factors - education, distance from home, coaching situation, playing time, etc is extremely difficult!

I really wish Alabama had shown interest in Parker (Bama fan). He is 6'5 265 and can play both OL or DL but DL is where he wants to play. Benches 335 and squats about 550. He is nasty on the field and plays with an attitude. He has played football and basketball all 4yrs of high school and when he is on a football only workout he will become a monster! He loves to workout!!

Just thought some of you may find this interesting! Praying for all these kids as they make the best choice for them individually!

( Deleted school reference from Tuscaloosa per Auswen request)

JG

What if this kid's the next JJ Watt?

What if he's not?

What if he's not?

We have a lot of guys on our DL who are not. What about them?

What if he's not?

Having another undervalued and underecruited player that turns out to be JJ Watt's caliber is probably similar odds to winning a small lottery. According to this "What if he is the next [insert great player]" logic we should offer any random kid and hope for the best

The odds are not in your favor replacing 5* recruits with 3*s expecting similar college play through hard work. Many comments here seem like people are trying to convince themselves that all 3* recruits will work harder, have a better attitude and cause fewer problems on campus than most 5* players. Most 5* kids don't have a sense of entitlement and cause problems. They are the most talented kids in the nation and work hard at their trade like a winner. Everyone has problems, but bama, LSU, GA & FL's programs CONSISTENTLY turn in more wins per season than us because of the 5*/4* players they consistently recruit and sign. This is one thing Chizik got right and that recruiting practice needs to continue. Gus and his staff will probably have to make some tough decisions with this class, but it is what it is and every 3* replacing a 5* means the return to championships just got incrementally harder.

War Eagle !

yea we were ranked near the top of "recruiting" classes, but where has that got us now? what's wrong with recruiting the 3 & 4 stars like earlier posts said, Zach Clayton, TJ Jackson, Will Herring, etc........ With the new coaching staff being great "TEACHERS" why can they not be molded in to exactly what we want and need?

What if he's not?

Having another undervalued and underecruited player that turns out to be JJ Watt's caliber is probably similar odds to winning a small lottery. According to this "What if he is the next [insert great player]" logic we should offer any random kid and hope for the best

Why is there no faith in our coaching staff?

What if he's not?

I don't think you're seeing a lack of faith in the coaching staff. What you're seeing is belief in the old but true saying "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear."

No matter how good the coaches, if they don't have the raw material to work with they can't succeed, and like it or not, the best raw material is in the 4 and 5 star prospects.

What if he's not?

I don't think you're seeing a lack of faith in the coaching staff. What you're seeing is belief in the old but true saying "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear."

No matter how good the coaches, if they don't have the raw material to work with they can't succeed, and like it or not, the best raw material is in the 4 and 5 star prospects.

Disagree, if a kid can be a 3* with an average coach in high school, he just might develop into a 5* in college with a good coach.

What if he's not?

Disagree, if a kid can be a 3* with an average coach in high school, he just might develop into a 5* in college with a good coach.

Respectfully disagree with your disagree on the high school part. While there are great coaches in high school those evaluations evaluate raw potential and high school football is alot about raw talent. If a player is a 3 star in high school then in many cases he did not overly dominate regardless of coaching

What if he's not?

I agree 1000% ,

Well, it's silly to think recruiting rankings dictate whether a guy has the potential to be a special player. A much better indication is the opinion of a proven staff. If the staff hasn't shown the ability to identify "diamonds in the rough," then yes, I think it's better to have higher rated players. If however, you have a staff with a track record of seeing talent, regardless of the star rating, and churning out good football players, then I'm more inclined to trust their eye over the star system.

The best examples that come to mind are Tuberville at Auburn and Beamer at VaTech. Both guys routinely took/take mid-level prospects and either (1) turned them into great players or (2) saw the ability that others couldn't (depends on how much credit you want to give the coaches). I mean, just off the top of my head, Ben Nowland, Ben Grubbs, Sen'Derrick Marks, etc. all came into Auburn as mid-level 3* players or lower. All of them left Auburn as NFL-ready players. It's a trust that develops over time. In a vaccuum, you'd rather have the higher rated guys, but when you're staff has shown a better eye for talent over time, you just want the guys your staff wants, regardless of the rating.

Well, it's silly to think recruiting rankings dictate whether a guy has the potential to be a special player. A much better indication is the opinion of a proven staff. If the staff hasn't shown the ability to identify "diamonds in the rough," then yes, I think it's better to have higher rated players. If however, you have a staff with a track record of seeing talent, regardless of the star rating, and churning out good football players, then I'm more inclined to trust their eye over the star system.

The best examples that come to mind are Tuberville at Auburn and Beamer at VaTech. Both guys routinely took/take mid-level prospects and either (1) turned them into great players or (2) saw the ability that others couldn't (depends on how much credit you want to give the coaches). I mean, just off the top of my head, Ben Nowland, Ben Grubbs, Sen'Derrick Marks, etc. all came into Auburn as mid-level 3* players or lower. All of them left Auburn as NFL-ready players. It's a trust that develops over time. In a vaccuum, you'd rather have the higher rated guys, but when you're staff has shown a better eye for talent over time, you just want the guys your staff wants, regardless of the rating.

Well said!!

Just out of curiosity, who evaluates the players and rates them? College coaches? Former college coaches? Analysts? "Professionals"?

Different people peak at different times and there are intangibles that can be measured by a tape or stopwatch. To fight the boredom of watching TAMU have their way with us I looked up the recruiting profiles of their players - the most common rating was 3 star. I looked at their players versus ours and saw heavy muscle versus smooth skin. To sum it up - I believe in work, hard work (you know the rest).

Different people peak at different times and there are intangibles that can be measured by a tape or stopwatch. To fight the boredom of watching TAMU have their way with us I looked up the recruiting profiles of their players - the most common rating was 3 star. I looked at their players versus ours and saw heavy muscle versus smooth skin. To sum it up - I believe in work, hard work (you know the rest).

Agree 110%. However, very few (if any) folks on this forum will ever change their minds about recruiting stars.

Sure you can name individual exceptions. However, the percentage of four and five star players that excel in college is always higher than the percentage of two and three stars that excel.

Sure you can name individual exceptions. However, the percentage of four and five star players that excel in college is always higher than the percentage of two and three stars that excel.

Exactly. If AU cannot recruit at the same level as spuat, LSU, uga, UF, USCe and Texas A&M then we are destined to be less than average because there is NO way our coaching staff is good enough to coach up less talented players to compete with the teams I referenced.

wde

Archived