2013 3* DT Parker Cothren (Penn State signee)

ellitor

I am actually from Hazel Green and was in attendance at the basketball game. Rodney Garner and Grimes were both at the game. Also Vandy had a coach in attendance, and Tennessee visited him earlier this week.

Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

No problem! Smart

I am actually from Hazel Green and was in attendance at the basketball game. Rodney Garner and Grimes were both at the game. Also Vandy had a coach in attendance, and Tennessee visited him earlier this week.

Have you seen him play football? What are your thoughts?

Yes i have. Strong hard nose kid with a high motor, and loves contact. Very athletic for a guy his size. No pre madonna thats for sure!!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

No problem! Smart

Have you seen him play football? What are your thoughts?

Yes i have. Strong hard nose kid with a high motor, and loves contact. Very athletic for a guy his size. No pre madonna thats for sure!!

Great! That was my impression. Every team needs guys like this, whether they become superstars or not.

With this fella's length and reported athleticism, I'd like to see him at DE. Too bad the good guys waited so long to offer. Does he have any partiality to the good guys? And why would anyone here whine or complain about offering this guy a scholarship?

With this fella's length and reported athleticism, I'd like to see him at DE. Too bad the good guys waited so long to offer. Does he have any partiality to the good guys?

I'm not sure he has the speed for DE, but he looks like he could add the weight to be an interior lineman on either side of the ball.

Geez. If we are going after 3* guys committed elsewhere, maybe we should just keep the extra schollys til next year. With the Jucos coming in this year, there are probably gonna be a few jucos next year that are better than a few of the late offer guys we are after. Of course, what do I know...

Also, Hazel Green, AL?? I lived in Alabama most of my life and have never heard of it. Are they 1 or 2A?

There a lots of kids that get lost in the recruitment shuffle. Just trust the staff to properly evaluate the kids, and then coach them up. We'll be fine.

Geez. If we are going after 3* guys committed elsewhere, maybe we should just keep the extra schollys til next year. With the Jucos coming in this year, there are probably gonna be a few jucos next year that are better than a few of the late offer guys we are after. Of course, what do I know...

Also, Hazel Green, AL?? I lived in Alabama most of my life and have never heard of it. Are they 1 or 2A?

Jimmy Brumbaugh was a 3 star and turned out to be a really good DL.

With this fella's length and reported athleticism, I'd like to see him at DE. Too bad the good guys waited so long to offer. Does he have any partiality to the good guys?

I'm not sure he has the speed for DE, but he looks like he could add the weight to be an interior lineman on either side of the ball.

Sounds good to me.

Lol there actually 6a. There in the same region as Bob Jones/Florence/Sparkman/Huntville

With this fella's length and reported athleticism, I'd like to see him at DE. Too bad the good guys waited so long to offer. Does he have any partiality to the good guys? And why would anyone here whine or complain about offering this guy a scholarship?

I am not sure. I don't believe he has any ties to Auburn, but I do know that 3 or 4 of his best friends will be attending Auburn next fall!!

He seems solid to me. If he has the right attitude he might be a good one. I'm tired of prima donnas.

+2

I've never understood how people on this board throw out random names of kids that are not ranked/overmatched talent wise for the SEC but have some good HS tapes/stats or have friends posting for them on the board and immediately say we should give them a scholarship then we turn around and criticize the staff for looking at a kid who has talent but will be a project to get the size up.

It seems to me that if new guys are coming into the picture at this point on defense, then we are not too sure of who is still committed as a staff

Or we have like 12 more spots to fill and we're trying to fill them???

It seems to me that if new guys are coming into the picture at this point on defense, then we are not too sure of who is still committed as a staff

+1

Some of the same folks would have been whining about offering this guy:

http://auburn.scout....c=1&nid=2174245

A lot of people whined about Zac Clayton on InsidetheTiger.com and AuburnSports.com forums saying he should be playing Div III or something. But Rocker made a 4-star out of this 2-star because ZC worked hard, was smart, and gave it 110% on every play. This guy (Cothren) is rated higher than Zac and has much better offers, so lets wait and see.

This is the type of guy we should give 2 or 3 scholarships to every year and haven't the last 4 years. You are not going to outwork him in the weight room or the class room and he is not afraid to tell other people that they are not working hard enough. He may only get 10-15 plays a game on the d-line or he might become an All-American OL. The point isn't what he brings to a team on the field...it is what he brings off the field. He makes your 4 and 5 star guys better.

I like the blue collar lunch pale type players. Yes we need talent but I want guys who put the team first and will do what ever it takes to make the team and themselves better. And when you get a talented guy like that then you have the corner stone of a championship team. Guys like Josh Bynes, Darvin Adams, Terrel Zachery, Kodi Burns, ect. are just as important as the Karlos Dansbys, Ronnie Browns, Cadillac williams, Cam Newton, ect. You need playmakers but you also have to have guys willing to do the dirty work. GUys who go to war for the other guys in the huddle with them and usually do not get the credit for it. I will tell you of a player I watched during the Under Armour skills challenge and game that I would trade for almost anyone and that is Ben Boulware. That kid was giving everything he had and made a ton of plays. I especially loved what Luginbill said about him. It was something like " If you are not giving 100 % Ben Boulware is going to embarrass you". Guys like that are the real keys to a championship team.

The odds are not in your favor replacing 5* recruits with 3*s expecting similar college play through hard work. Many comments here seem like people are trying to convince themselves that all 3* recruits will work harder, have a better attitude and cause fewer problems on campus than most 5* players. Most 5* kids don't have a sense of entitlement and cause problems. They are the most talented kids in the nation and work hard at their trade like a winner. Everyone has problems, but bama, LSU, GA & FL’s programs CONSISTENTLY turn in more wins per season than us because of the 5*/4* players they consistently recruit and sign. This is one thing Chizik got right and that recruiting practice needs to continue. Gus and his staff will probably have to make some tough decisions with this class, but it is what it is and every 3* replacing a 5* means the return to championships just got incrementally harder.

War Eagle !

Or it could be the staff thinks this kid can play. I believe this staff pretty much knows where it stands with the current commits. I've said my take on that.

The odds are not in your favor replacing 5* recruits with 3*s expecting similar college play through hard work. Many comments here seem like people are trying to convince themselves that all 3* recruits will work harder, have a better attitude and cause fewer problems on campus than most 5* players. Most 5* kids don't have a sense of entitlement and cause problems. They are the most talented kids in the nation and work hard at their trade like a winner. Everyone has problems, but bama, LSU, GA & FL’s programs CONSISTENTLY turn in more wins per season than us because of the 5*/4* players they consistently recruit and sign. This is one thing Chizik got right and that recruiting practice needs to continue. Gus and his staff will probably have to make some tough decisions with this class, but it is what it is and every 3* replacing a 5* means the return to championships just got incrementally harder.

War Eagle !

Well sorry to be the bearer of bad news but right now we are going to have to fill this class with 3 stars not 5 stars or even 4. This year we will be seeing quite a few more 3 stars than in years past committing to Auburn

I have seen this kid play several times over the past couple years, both football and basketball. He does seem to be a good athlete, can move really well for a guy his size, and he does play with a high motor. Hazel Green's football program has been down for a long time and get no attention, that's the big reason he's flown under the radar. The basketball program is really good, playing for the 6A State title last year i believe and he is a main cog. Good to see him get an offer and good to see the staff looking elsewhere outside the generic recruiting hot spots. There's talent in a lot of places, just gotta find it. WDE.

Or it could be the staff thinks this kid can play. I believe this staff pretty much knows where it stands with the current commits. I've said my take on that.

At no point was I implying the kid could not play. I agree on what you said as far as the staff knowing where they are, didn't type my statement quite right, I will blame the whiskey!! The staff knows where they are with current targets and feel the need to expand out to others. However, if he is 6'5" and appears to be pretty athletic, I think he could end up being a good O-line prospect and not play on the defensive side at all.

Archived