2013 3* DT Parker Cothren (Penn State signee)

ellitor

Picking two random NFL teams and looking at their starters does not "hard information" make. This is hard information.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Star-Power-Recruiting-gurus-All-American-track?urn=ncaaf-311830

Also, its completely unfair to assume a 5-star recruit is anymore uncoachable than a 2-star recruit.

Here is an analysis of the NFL draft in relation to recruiting stars.

http://www.athlonsports.com/nfl/nfl-stars

Remember guys, use your division skills! 40-48% of 5-star recruits are first round draft picks, while 3.6% of 3-stars are taken in the first round. The key is having a coaching staff that can "coach up" not only the 2-3 star guys but also the big time recruits.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are interested, this article has even more information.

http://www.tomahawknation.com/2011/1/31/1965917/recruiting-rankings-do-matter

The bottom line, as it relates to Auburn last year especially, is that a poor coaching staff (along with serious attrition) can pretty well negate the benefits of top recruiting classes. In order to contend for championships consistently, you have to succeed on the recruiting trail as well. Hate to bring this up, but no matter how much the media praises Nick Saban's coaching prowess, he's not winning these titles with a team full of recruits no one else wanted...

Recruiting is no different than the NFL draft. While there have been a lot of All-Pro players drafted in the 3rd round and later, at the end of the day you'd rather try your luck with the 10 pick in the draft than you would with the 100th pick in the draft. While recruiting rankings vary and are of the opinions of 3rd party analysts, remember that there is no set "order" of status in the NFL draft either. Every team has their own big-boards and every team values players differently, but at the same time pretty much every team would agree that Andrew Luck is more desirable than say Nick Foles...similar to how almost every top NCAA program would value a consensus 5-star RB over a mid-grade 3-star RB.

Picking two random NFL teams and looking at their starters does not "hard information" make. This is hard information.

http://rivals.yahoo....rn=ncaaf-311830

Also, its completely unfair to assume a 5-star recruit is anymore uncoachable than a 2-star recruit.

http://www.athlonspo...m/nfl/nfl-stars

Remember guys, use your division skills! 40-48% of 5-star recruits are first round draft picks, while 3.6% of 3-stars are taken in the first round. The key is having a coaching staff that can "coach up" not only the 2-3 star guys but also the big time recruits.

You have it backwards. The information doesn't get any harder than the actual names and schools of starters on NFL teams. The starters are the starters, the schools are the schools and there is no draft hype, star hype or opinion involved. The starting rosters are the final result of the entire process and it is the true measure of talent. The data is as hard as it gets and all you have to do is count them. Now, admittedly I stopped after 2 teams, so if you would like to do the other 30 teams, feel free. I am not going to take the time. My personal prediction will be that the trend will continue.

I'm going to stop, because this is frustrating. No matter how many players names you want to post, we don't need to start dropping 5-star recruits for 3-star recruits. We can't fill our roster with only 4-5 star athletes, but doing so gives us a greater statistical chance of success. Look at the math. A 5-star recruit is 7 times more likely to be an All-American. There are literally thousands more 2-star and 3-star athletes!! I'd sure hope a couple of them made it to an NFL roster! You are very much correct, the trend will continue!

I'm going to stop, because this is frustrating. No matter how many players names you want to post, we don't need to start dropping 5-star recruits for 3-star recruits. We can't fill our roster with only 4-5 star athletes, but doing so gives us a greater statistical chance of success. Look at the math. A 5-star recruit is 7 times more likely to be an All-American. There are literally thousands more 2-star and 3-star athletes!! I'd sure hope a couple of them made it to an NFL roster! You are very much correct, the trend will continue!

That I agree with, we do need to go after the higher ranked players, assuming the talent of course. As you can see in my post listing the NFL starters, I said its not an either or situation at all. Its both. Yes, we have to get the best higher ranked players we can, the 4's and 5's, but also look for those lower ranked gems out there. Then no matter which group they fall in we must coach them up.

The NFL rosters prove that there is a lot of talent that is missed by college coaches. But, there is also talent missed by NFL scouts as in 6th round pick Alfred Morris the Redskin RB or all the free agents that are now starters or in the 2 deep on NFL rosters. The rubber meets the road on all this stuff when starters are named for both college and pro teams.

Players mature differently. Some kids peak their SR year of HS and may get 4 or 5 stars. Some peak in college and get as high draft pick. Some don't peak until they get to the NFL. While rankings are a good start, it's a little bit of a crap shoot either way.

That I agree with, we do need to go after the higher ranked players, assuming the talent of course. As you can see in my post listing the NFL starters, I said its not an either or situation at all. Its both. Yes, we have to get the best higher ranked players we can, the 4's and 5's, but also look for those lower ranked gems out there. Then no matter which group they fall in we must coach them up.

The NFL rosters prove that there is a lot of talent that is missed by college coaches. But, there is also talent missed by NFL scouts as in 6th round pick Alfred Morris the Redskin RB or all the free agents that are now starters or in the 2 deep on NFL rosters. The rubber meets the road on all this stuff when starters are named for both college and pro teams.

The other aspect to this is that talent alone does not make a great player. A big factor in making it to the top level (the NFL) is the work ethic of the individual. Many guys with less talent (potential) maximize the talent they do have and wind up having successful careers. This is not to say that talent doesn't matter, but it's not the only thing that matters.

The other aspect to this is that talent alone does not make a great player. A big factor in making it to the top level (the NFL) is the work ethic of the individual. Many guys with less talent (potential) maximize the talent they do have and wind up having successful careers. This is not to say that talent doesn't matter, but it's not the only thing that matters.

exactly

Looks like he really hustles. Of course what we don't know is the quality of the OL he is playing against. Rather have a 3* that hustles than a 5* with an attitude. He does follow thru and hits hard .

I have close friends who has seen him play 3 or 4 times and not make a single play. I know he is a good player, but he sure didnt show it in these games. Not dogging him, but not too down if he dont sign either.

In his highlight footage he has great pad level. Seems to always move forward and tackles well. He looked good on the offensive play as a blocking back. Looks like a good prospect and room to add weight.

His play on the field looks more impressive to me than Liner.

Agree with Ellitor about not going that far, but Cothren may have a better attitude than Liner, maybe character too. I think PC looks better than some of our current DL that are in playing rotation. We have some that haven't seen the field, so we don't know about. None of them were scrutinized by this board as much as PC. I say give the guy a chance to put on about 30 lbs of muscle in a red-shirt year and be our next Zac Clayton.

I am friends with his brother. Kid has great character and strong work ethic, but not very high on Auburn. Sounds like PSU, Vandy, and Tennessee are high for academic reasons. Seems to have his priorities in order. Would be great if we could pull him in.

I don't know a ton about him, but is there any chance the comparison to Clayton is accurate? Clayton was one of the strongest guys on the team the minute he walked into the locker room. He was a weight lifter in high school and a bear. His issue was staying healthy for most of his career. Is this guy in the same league in terms of strength?

Why would he commit to a pederast/cover-up school like Penn St?

Penn State is an extremely respected school academically and it has a storied program. While we hopefully will never have a scandal on the level of Penn State, in a decade people will remember the scandal at PSU but the stigma will fall off. Penn State is a great school and don't sell them short

http://rivals.yahoo....rn=ncaaf-311830

http://www.athlonspo...m/nfl/nfl-stars

The truth is that all of the recruiting sites had access to all of those three star prospects that made All-American status and evaluated them as lacking the physical talent. While they did pull those five star prospects out of the pool, they missed more than they got. It is easy to claim the numbers of three stars, but, in truth the three and five star recruits come from the same pool and are created by the recruiting services. If recruiting services were held to the same standards as gold prospectors, they would be considered blatantly incompetent.

A simple fact is that we still live in an age when the vast majority of players still do not have the means to attend camps and if they do not, it is very likely the recruiting services will not even know of them until some school starts recruiting them. The recruiting services have a very parasitic relationship with college football recruiters and the various nationwide camps. It is not only possible, but likely that they will miss on recruits that become part of the recruiting process late. Teams like TCU, Boise State, Wisconsin and many others have made their mark recruiting and developing the players that recruiting services routinely miss.

Archived