A comment from a former AU commit

AU64

This quote from AJC on line today ...Trey Johnson courtesy of his father:

You know, I put my trust into Coach Roof two years ago. He left, and I built my trust back up with Coach Chizik and Coach VanGorder. Then they left.’ That really shook up Trey. He said ‘It’s not disrespect toward you all, but I’ve been in this room with a different staff before and have them tell me that they’re going to be with me my whole career. It’s the same school, so I’m just not going back down that road.’”

This is what Gus and his staff are facing and who can blame the kid? I think he was honest and respectful toward the coaches and said what lots of players are thinking as they look back over the coaching changes at AU last year and then again this year.

We need some stability on the staff for certain.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he doesn't want to play for AUBURN, then get! It is highly unlikely that any coach can guarantee that they will be there his entire career. I am sure Roof told the PSU recruits that he was going to be there for 4 years.

Its fine to want to play somewhere else, but do it for a valid reason. If you are doing it because you think you will get some kind of guarantee that the coaches at the new school will always be there, you are playing a fool's game. Would we like to keep the same coaches for 10 years ? Sure we would, but we are also old enough to know, that is not realistic. Part of the responsibility of an adult in a kid's life is to explain that there are no guarantees when it comes to an issue like this. That is just the reality and its naive for a kid or his family to believe otherwise.

A lot of these kids do have unrealistic expectations when it comes to having the same coaches with them thru out. It is a kid's fantasy, not the reality, part of growing up is leaving the fantasy world behind. Just this year alone, there have been numerous HC turnovers and asst coaching changes thru out college football. If Trey had followed Roof and taken his commitment to PSU, then he would have been disappointed there too because Roof is at Ga Tech now. Trey just committed to a HC that retired, unretired, coached 1 more year, then left again, then got out of coaching to go to ESPN, then came back to coaching. More reality.

If he doesn't want to play for AUBURN, then get! It is highly unlikely that any coach can guarantee that they will be there his entire career. I am sure Roof told the PSU recruits that he was going to be there for 4 years.

Most kids have limited loyalty to their schools of choice until they enroll and build relationships. The loyalty is usually to the coaches, who call them constantly, go to their HS games, come to their homes, and tell them how great they will be. Auburn falls into the rare position of having three coordinators on each side of the ball during a roughly 15 month period...

A person like Trey may have concluded that Auburn is simply too unstable a program for him. Our fall from 14-0 in 2010 to 3-9 in 2012 is unprecedented, and cemented Chizik in my opinion as either the worst or second worst coach to win a MNC in modern times (Larry Coker makes it a tough call)

There are ways to deal with that. Why we are losing guys that liked Auburn well enough to commit, I don't know but it is troubling. "Change in staff" isn't a good enough excuse.

The AJC staff I'm sure had absolutely NO AGENDA in this article. They never do!

:drippingsarcasm7pa: :drippingsarcasm7pa: :drippingsarcasm7pa: :drippingsarcasm7pa: :drippingsarcasm7pa: :drippingsarcasm7pa:

I respect Trey and his father a great deal... But this is a prime example of committing to a coach, not the school.

No coach can guarantee that they will be around for the next for four years. They can get fired or leave on their own for a better gig. That is why a recruit has to commit to a school because they love the school!

Take a look at Carl Lawson... He is having a rough time with the coaching change. But he is hesitant to decommitt because he loves it at Auburn. That is the determining factor in why I think he signs with AU! But, if he does decide to go elsewhere, I will still respect him and his family. They have given Auburn EVERY opportunity to retain him.

Most kids have limited loyalty to their schools of choice until they enroll and build relationships. The loyalty is usually to the coaches, who call them constantly, go to their HS games, come to their homes, and tell them how great they will be. Auburn falls into the rare position of having three coordinators on each side of the ball during a roughly 15 month period...

A person like Trey may have concluded that Auburn is simply too unstable a program for him. Our fall from 14-0 in 2010 to 3-9 in 2012 is unprecedented, and cemented Chizik in my opinion as either the worst or second worst coach to win a MNC in modern times (Larry Coker makes it a tough call)

This 100%. Most kids are not "all in" for whatever school they have committed to. They make a decision based on what they think is best for themselves athletically, scholastically and personally at that time and learn to fall in love with the school after they enroll. That's why the "we only want kids who want to be at AU" is pretty naive thinking. Blue-chippers always have options.

Sounds like a whiner and we need LBs that eat nails and crap lightening. He's afraid of those SEC O-lineman. :dunno:

I expect you know that this "afraid of the SEC" stuff is BS.

The point is.... all these kids know about AU while they are in HS is the coaching staff that recruits them. They make a visit or two, meet the staff and maybe some of the other recruits and a few players and we expect them to fall in love with the school? What a pipedream. Talk about sunshine pumping. Every school looks great, pretty girls, good facilities, attractive campus, etc.

Check the top ten or 15 Rivals schools and see how many of them have had the coaching turnover in the past 4 years that AU has. We went from Tubs to Chiz to Gus in just over 4 years. While AU and several other schools are playing musical coaching staff, the stable schools are killing everyone on the recruiting trail. I amazed that we have done as well as we have....a testament to the good work by Gus and staff but I understand why some kids look at AU and wonder who their coaches would be two years from now.

There are ways to deal with that. Why we are losing guys that liked Auburn well enough to commit, I don't know but it is troubling. "Change in staff" isn't a good enough excuse.

Trey was gone reguardless. And I was told this midseaon last year by one of AU's ex-coaches. After Roof left, Trey didn't visit much and seemed distant to the coaches. Just a matter of time and when the last staff was fired, Trey got his out.

Sounds like a whiner and we need LBs that eat nails and crap lightening. He's afraid of those SEC O-lineman. :dunno:

I expect you know that this "afraid of the SEC" stuff is BS.

The point is.... all these kids know about AU while they are in HS is the coaching staff that recruits them. They make a visit or two, meet the staff and maybe some of the other recruits and a few players and we expect them to fall in love with the school? What a pipedream. Talk about sunshine pumping. Every school looks great, pretty girls, good facilities, attractive campus, etc.

Check the top ten or 15 Rivals schools and see how many of them have had the coaching turnover in the past 4 years that AU has. We went from Tubs to Chiz to Gus in just over 4 years. While AU and several other schools are playing musical coaching staff, the stable schools are killing everyone on the recruiting trail. I amazed that we have done as well as we have....a testament to the good work by Gus and staff but I understand why some kids look at AU and wonder who their coaches would be two years from now.

Then Trey should feel good about Ohio State. Jim Tressel just leaving there and I wonder when the nerves hit Urban Meyer again?

We've tossed our entire staff right down to the weight training coach. Tressell was there forever and Urban did not clean house...we've cleaned house twice and lost the coordinators three times in about four years. A big difference.

Our beloved football program is not stable. Perhaps none love it more than I - but it is not stable. The quote is about that. They are being recruited to the school but the leadership changes. They and their parents think "what next ?" Kids are not stupid, nor are their parents, and they know coaching staffs change. They also can see Auburn now as a school with question marks. Third coach in five or six years, schemes changing all the time, coordinators changing. Off the field issues. And let’s not forget that whopping "kick-off at 11 AM", 3-9 egg we laid last year. The vast majority of kids signing at SEC schools believe they can make it in the pros. I used to insert a phrase about except Vandy players but they kicked our ass in 2012 so I will refrain. Heck if I had a kid who I was counseling and he said "ShugMan I trust you, I want to be an NFL linebacker where should I go?" My Auburn brothers and sisters, you don't want to hear my answer.

Having said that what I really see happening is a damn sharp dude named Gus, who was my third or fourth choice as our new coach, who saw all of this coming, hired great recruiters, figured he will lose some but would also win some and has given us a fighting chance to have a top ten recruiting class.

Wow Wow Wow

I'm going to now listen to Bob Marley's Three little Birds and wait for signing day.

War Eagle

Urban Meyer is one of the most stable and trustworthy guys in college football

I don't know. Personally I think he is a first class jerk.... but guess you have to ask the guys who coach for him and play for him...I don't hear much complaining from guys who are actually in a position to have any facts.

He's 12-0 at OSU and has a BCS...those are pretty good credentials I would say.

Some of you clearly worry only about Auburn, and whether we win or lose. That's fine, as it's in the nature of being a fan But it is laughable when you ridicule a kid for committing to the coach instead of the school. Auburn University has no voice of its own saying "commit to me, young man."

The school is defined by it's representatives, the coaches and players that the prospects meet. Some kids will stay committed because they have enough of a fondness of the university to transcend the coaching staff who departs, but usually it is because the new staff works them well.

The players are merely cattle...even low level assistant coaches make six figures, and the university makes millions off these kids. Coaches jump ship for better jobs at the drop of a hat, and universities don't hesitate to fire coaches when they see fit.

The coaches who recruit these players are the basis of credibility the players see in the school itself, and many of these coaches overpromise. So I don't blame any of the guys who decommit. It is pointless to ridicule other programs, and bash these kids for not committing to the "school," because the prior coaches are often what defined the school for these kids.

Auburn will do just fine, with or without any particular recruit from this class. This is part of the consequence of a huge fall from the top, and a new staff. Let Gus guide us to a 6 to 9 win season next year with an explosive offense and attacking defense and the kids will come.

[quote name=Mikey'

timestamp='1358780523' post='1797439]

If you can't have faith in the recruiting ability of the staff we have aquired to make the best they can out of this situation then you are just flat out being a pessimist in my book.

I have counted him out since the Arky game last year. I don't think he has even been to Auburn except maybe one game in the last six months. (It could be two) He will be a great player for someone. We will be just fine though.

Our beloved football program is not stable. Perhaps none love it more than I - but it is not stable. The quote is about that. They are being recruited to the school but the leadership changes. They and their parents think "what next ?" Kids are not stupid, nor are their parents, and they know coaching staffs change. They also can see Auburn now as a school with question marks. Third coach in five or six years, schemes changing all the time, coordinators changing. Off the field issues. And let’s not forget that whopping "kick-off at 11 AM", 3-9 egg we laid last year. The vast majority of kids signing at SEC schools believe they can make it in the pros. I used to insert a phrase about except Vandy players but they kicked our ass in 2012 so I will refrain. Heck if I had a kid who I was counseling and he said "ShugMan I trust you, I want to be an NFL linebacker where should I go?" My Auburn brothers and sisters, you don't want to hear my answer.

Having said that what I really see happening is a damn sharp dude named Gus, who was my third or fourth choice as our new coach, who saw all of this coming, hired great recruiters, figured he will lose some but would also win some and has given us a fighting chance to have a top ten recruiting class.

Wow Wow Wow

I'm going to now listen to Bob Marley's Three little Birds and wait for signing day.

War Eagle

Good post ShugMan.

Stability and consistancy are greatly needed at Auburn. Recruits and their families are looking further down the road. Most 4-5* recruits have the potential to make it to the pro's if they go to a school that develops, prepares, and trains them to reach their potential. They want to go to a program that has a history of developing NFL players, that can showcase their talent, and that dominates every Saturday on national TV - they want and need the exposure that a championship contender can bring them.

The SEC is a damn snake pit, and we are in the middle of it folks. Unfortunately, we've been snake bit for the last couple of years. Hopefully Gus has the anti-venom and can get us back to the top of the pit.

Of course kids commit to coaches, as they should. When you play college football, your head coach and position coach have more to say about your experience than any other individuals do. Sure, they may leave -- but you can only make the best choice available to you at the moment.

Kids commit to Auburn as a university, and that's important. But they don't commit to us fans. When things change at the university, they have a right to look around.

Archived