A comment from a former AU commit

AU64

Trey should feel great about Ohio State. Urban Meyer is one of the most stable and trustworthy guys in college football. :homer:

He can quit and come back in the same season again. Trey has moved on and so have we.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that what these kids don't take into account is that there are really only three likely scenarios when it comes to the longevity of coaches, especially coordinators:

1) The program is doing well. As a result, people begin to take notice of the coordinators and assistants. More often than not, they will be hired away for a promotion or a pay raise. That's the nature of success, and regardless of what they say, it's what nearly every coach is working for when they get into the business.

2) The program is struggling. As a result, there is likely to be a lot of turnover in the coaching staff due to unmet expectations. That is also the nature of college football. It's a "what have you done for me lately" business.

3) The program is somewhat stagnant. They can't seem to have that breakout year that they are waiting for, but they still manage to turn out winning seasons. A coaching staff can remain intact a while longer under this scenario because they have not had enough success to get the attention of other programs, but they have had just enough success to keep them right on the brink and to keep everyone believing that "this will finally be the year."

When you look at it this way, a kid who wants to find a school where he can have the best chance of playing under the same coaching staff for his whole career is really asking for 4 or 5 years of mediocrity. Otherwise, there are no guarantees.

I wish the kid well. Frankly, if a kid is committing to stability he's committing to an illusion anyway. College football is not a stable business, period. Coaches change for a lot of reasons...some of which we see coming but some we do not. Kids are making it to the NFL from all sorts of programs.....many are not bigtime programs who dont have bigtime coaches. Bottom line, if a player is committing because of stability he needs to know that things like that change all the time and at the end of the day it is NOT the coach that is going to get him to the NFL. Reckon Joe Flacco went to Delaware because he saw that choice gave him the best chance to win a NC in college and to make it to the NFL? Child please! He made $8.8mil in 2012 and a free agent in 2013.

Flacco transferred from Pittsburgh because he was behind Palko. It was his best opportunity to play to prove himself to the NFL.

Well, the point remains. Flacco got to the league on his own...NOT via a certain coach or school. Just off the top of your head - how many QBs have made it to the NFL from Delaware?

Flacco transferred from Pittsburgh because he was behind Palko. It was his best opportunity to play to prove himself to the NFL.

Well, the point remains. Flacco got to the league on his own...NOT via a certain coach or school. Just off the top of your head - how many QBs have made it to the NFL from Delaware?

just Rich Gannon off of the top of my head. not sure why i remember this, but for some reason i do!!! I do get your point, i was just pointing out that he did go to a big time program first...but you are right, he worked hard to get to where he wanted to go.

OK so based on the fact that just one had ever made it the NFL from Delaware ..ya reckon he chose Delware because it was a clear cut pathway to the NFL? Look, players make their own ways regardless of what University they attend or who coaches them. Players making decisions on who they feel is going to get them to the league is probably depending on the wrong things. He'll get there on his own or he wont get there. All coaches who have made it to the collegiate level are good enough to coach the game but on Saturdays its a players game and its what they do there that makes their future in the NFL possible. Not who came before them and made it nor who coached them.

I think that what these kids don't take into account is that there are really only three likely scenarios when it comes to the longevity of coaches, especially coordinators:

1) The program is doing well. As a result, people begin to take notice of the coordinators and assistants. More often than not, they will be hired away for a promotion or a pay raise. That's the nature of success, and regardless of what they say, it's what nearly every coach is working for when they get into the business.

2) The program is struggling. As a result, there is likely to be a lot of turnover in the coaching staff due to unmet expectations. That is also the nature of college football. It's a "what have you done for me lately" business.

3) The program is somewhat stagnant. They can't seem to have that breakout year that they are waiting for, but they still manage to turn out winning seasons. A coaching staff can remain intact a while longer under this scenario because they have not had enough success to get the attention of other programs, but they have had just enough success to keep them right on the brink and to keep everyone believing that "this will finally be the year."

When you look at it this way, a kid who wants to find a school where he can have the best chance of playing under the same coaching staff for his whole career is really asking for 4 or 5 years of mediocrity. Otherwise, there are no guarantees.

Let's see..mediocrity...you mean like at USCe, Bama, LSU, UGa and such?

Sure staff members come and go but show me any school that has twice fired the entire staff within less than five years....and is now doing well?

Sure staff members come and go but show me any school that has twice fired the entire staff within less than five years....and is now doing well?

Are you suggesting Chizik and staff should not have been fired?

wde

wde

Of course not....but I am suggesting that anyone who did not forsee the effects of our second staff turnover on recruiting and our commits was drinking too much orange and blue kool ade

blows my mind how people get upset that 17 year olds would commit to a coach and not the school

its like you assume they just become die hard fans overnight

its ok when such and such recruit follows Dameyune Craig here from FSU or wherever but its not ok when its the other way around

yall need to come to grips with the fact that people dont just immediately fall in love with a school, relationships will ALWAYS mean much more than the school itself.

when Gene first came to AU we missed out on plenty of recruits but by the time 2010 came along we were hitting more often than missing and thats because they had 2 years to build RELATIONSHIPS

like i said before, its naive to assume these athletes(especially ones not from Alabama) would have some preconceived feeling of fandom of a school

blows my mind how people get upset that 17 year olds would commit to a coach and not the school

its like you assume they just become die hard fans overnight

its ok when such and such recruit follows Dameyune Craig here from FSU or wherever but its not ok when its the other way around

yall need to come to grips with the fact that people dont just immediately fall in love with a school, relationships will ALWAYS mean much more than the school itself.

when Gene first came to AU we missed out on plenty of recruits but by the time 2010 came along we were hitting more often than missing and thats because they had 2 years to build RELATIONSHIPS

like i said before, its naive to assume these athletes(especially ones not from Alabama) would have some preconceived feeling of fandom of a school

x1000 been saying the same thing, the same posters get excited when someone flips to Auburn from another commitment and then blast a kid who changes his mind from Auburn.

wde

Of course not....but I am suggesting that anyone who did not forsee the effects of our second staff turnover on recruiting and our commits was drinking too much orange and blue kool ade

Ok and I agree about folks not understanding that we were going to lose committs in the coaching change being somewhat delusional.

wde

Best of luck, Trey! OSU is getting a good player.

That said, I am getting a little tired of the prima donna attitude that seems to be taking hold of these kids. Personally, I wish they would do away with the whole "committment" thing, and just let kids discuss their intentions with the coaches, then send in the LOI on signing day, then we fans find out who decided to join the AU Family. Kids that committ, de-committ, waiver back and forth, etc., just seem like they want the spotlight on them. I respect kids like Trey, letting the coaches know how they feel, and making a decision to stick with it or to leave. Good for them. Others, that like to play games, and lead coaches/fans on, then make announcements close to signing day or during the dead period, are just looking for attention. These players could turn out to be great, or they could turn out to be cancers that divide the locker room.

As far as I'm concerned, as long as there are talented football players that love Auburn, and want to come to AU to play football, then all the prima donnas can head elsewhere. We beat bammer 6 years in a row with "lesser-star" talent, and we can do it again.

War Eagle!!!

We beat bammer 6 years in a row with "lesser-star" talent, and we can do it again.

That's true...but Bama had lesser talent too and we were not the only ones beating them....just to keep things in perspective.

We have a huge hill to climb...but I think we are on the way.

We beat bammer 6 years in a row with "lesser-star" talent, and we can do it again.

That's true...but Bama had lesser talent too and we were not the only ones beating them....just to keep things in perspective.

We have a huge hill to climb...but I think we are on the way.

This is true. Our talent level was at least equal to spuat during that 6 year run and our coaching was better then as well. That changed in a big way in 2008.

wde

wde

i think you missed the point of what he was saying. He wasn't referring to a total staff turnover. Just that when your program does well, you lose coaches to promotion. The schools you mentioned (USCe, Bama, LSU, UGA) have all lost coaches due to promotions. Therefore, no coach can realistically look into the crystal ball and say they will be there for 4 or 5 years without expecting to be stuck in mediocrity. Success gets you promoted. Failure gets you fired. Either way, You're leaving. Only just enough success guarantees you won't leave.

Who is trey? If I was a recruit, I would step back and look at the current coaching staff at Auburn and say wow!! How in the heck did Auburn go from a poor coaching staff, to that of a staff with so much coaching talent and experience in such a brief period of time? Any person in the know that has an unbiased view of coaches with experience and expertise as what Auburn has put together, has to do a double take and come away with the opinion that Auburn is back in the business of competing for and winning championships.

Most of us thought that we had assembled a good staff last year and then we found out the hard way that we hadn't. I think these guys we have now will be good, but I'm a wait and see type guy right now.

Who is trey? If I was a recruit, I would step back and look at the current coaching staff at Auburn and say wow!! How in the heck did Auburn go from a poor coaching staff, to that of a staff with so much coaching talent and experience in such a brief period of time? Any person in the know that has an unbiased view of coaches with experience and expertise as what Auburn has put together, has to do a double take and come away with the opinion that Auburn is back in the business of competing for and winning championships.

At this time last year most people on this board thought BGV hung the moon. Chiz had a BCS and we had two good recruiting years in a row. Sometimes we are standing too close to the picture to get an accurate understanding of it.

Most of us thought that we had assembled a good staff last year and then we found out the hard way that we hadn't. I think these guys we have now will be good, but I'm a wait and see type guy right now.

Me too!

All we talked about last year was how great BVG was going to be, and how Loeffler had coached the great Tom Brady and our offense was going to kick ass and defense would be back to the Auburn quality. We even made up nick names for them "the Stache" & "Lefty". The praise and accolades in the pre-season amounted to nothing, nada, zero, zilch once the season started. And by the time the season mercifully ended, we were ready to run them all out on a rail.

I am cautiously optimistic about this coaching staff. They have a mountain of work to do to get this team back to top SEC standards, and our conference brethern aren't going to let up one bit.

Archived