Good article by the Auburn Plainsman

DyeHardAllTheWay

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok then this leads me to my next question that i doubt anyone will answer. what "control" is it that gus has or doesnt have that we are referring to? same with chiz or tubs. what aspect of the football program does a coach aspire to have that the admin does not give him? remember when answering the question it needs to impact the success or lack of on the field. not just make him feel butt hurt but what hinders his success.

During Tubs tenure, in the years following Jetgate, there was a widely growing tension between Tubs and the PTB. JJ's qualification for the job, you may ask? A ticket collector. At the time of his hiring there were three or four guys in front of him that were more qualified. The reason he was picked is because he was someone for BL and PD to control. I love what PD did for us (even if I wasn't alive then) but in his mind, he still sees himself as our coach. PD has a "Jerry Jones" persona, and in 2005 handpicked a good puppet to run the program for him. Enter JJ. PD's inability to accept the fact that he is not our coach anymore led him and JJ to hire ex-CGC, a guy who wouldn't want things any differently than what the GOB network wanted--a yes man, if you will. They obviously didn't care that CGC went 5-19 at Iowa State. They just wanted someone for them to control.

Now, I think Gus is a pretty good hire--for JJ's standards, it's like we hired Bill Cowher. Even though I think JJ has made countless blunders over the years (running Marsh off, running Muschamp off, our basketball and baseball programs in shambles, charging the highest ticket prices in the conference) and should have been fired by now because of it, CGM will end up saving JJ's job.

What makes you so confident that the hiring of Malzahn will turn out better than the other JJ hires? There's a pattern here. None of the coaches hired by him have turned out well.

Still crying about hiring Malzhan, eh?

ok then this leads me to my next question that i doubt anyone will answer. what "control" is it that gus has or doesnt have that we are referring to? same with chiz or tubs. what aspect of the football program does a coach aspire to have that the admin does not give him? remember when answering the question it needs to impact the success or lack of on the field. not just make him feel butt hurt but what hinders his success.

During Tubs tenure, in the years following Jetgate, there was a widely growing tension between Tubs and the PTB. JJ's qualification for the job, you may ask? A ticket collector. At the time of his hiring there were three or four guys in front of him that were more qualified. The reason he was picked is because he was someone for BL and PD to control. I love what PD did for us (even if I wasn't alive then) but in his mind, he still sees himself as our coach. PD has a "Jerry Jones" persona, and in 2005 handpicked a good puppet to run the program for him. Enter JJ. PD's inability to accept the fact that he is not our coach anymore led him and JJ to hire ex-CGC, a guy who wouldn't want things any differently than what the GOB network wanted--a yes man, if you will. They obviously didn't care that CGC went 5-19 at Iowa State. They just wanted someone for them to control.

Now, I think Gus is a pretty good hire--for JJ's standards, it's like we hired Bill Cowher. Even though I think JJ has made countless blunders over the years (running Marsh off, running Muschamp off, our basketball and baseball programs in shambles, charging the highest ticket prices in the conference) and should have been fired by now because of it, CGM will end up saving JJ's job.

You have any evidence of any of that drivel, or are you just assuming that PD is a ring leader because some Idiot posters on a message board or callers on a sports talk show say so? Somehow I doubt very seriously people who run a University are listening to one man who was outed 20 years ago. Especially one who likes to hit the sauce from time to time.

What makes you so confident that the hiring of Malzahn will turn out better than the other JJ hires? There's a pattern here. None of the coaches hired by him have turned out well.

Do I agree with the hire? No. I will support the team though and hope he proves me wrong. That's irrelevant though. What I was saying is that it should be concerning that JJ's judgement in hiring coaches has been so terrible. If you look at the record, I just didn't see why he was so confident that Malzahn will "save Jacobs' job". It had nothing to do with my personal preference for the job.

Do I agree with the hire? No. I will support the team though and hope he proves me wrong. That's irrelevant though. What I was saying is that it should be concerning that JJ's judgement in hiring coaches has been so terrible. If you look at the record, I just didn't see why he was so confident that Malzahn will "save Jacobs' job". It had nothing to do with my personal preference for the job.

Who was your personal preference?

Who was your personal preference?

Kirby Smart.

Is it because saban cant make it without him? Or the success of the other saban spinoffs. By the way that was also the pick of dye, who some claim is still runnin things.

Is it because saban cant make it without him? Or the success of the other saban spinoffs. By the way that was also the pick of dye, who some claim is still runnin things.

It's because Smart is an exceptional recruiter with the ability to coach our defense back up to what we need to consistently win championships. Even with these bag of tricks offenses, defense still wins consistently.

^^Kirby Smart? Really? The fact is that he has not proven he can win without Saban's support. The only time CGM has really struggled, on the other hand, was when Chizik meddled with the offense (2011). Besides Cam, CGM has turned Darren McFadden, Felix Jones, and even Chris Todd into record setters! (Our offense even scored 104 points in the first 10 quarters of the '11 season before ex-CGC meddled) Now, I still would've rather had Petrino, but that would've infuriated half our fanbase--him being a "felon" and all. :-\

Oh and gAUlf--the fact that ex-CPD was consistently allowed to hang around practices while ex-CGC was coach? The fact that ex-CTT kept PD away from practices and ended up "resigning"? The fact that a man who went 0-8 in a conference without playing the three best teams that year was chosen to become our coach, after Gary Patterson and Will Muschamp reportedly stormed out of their interviews? The fact that one of these key figures, Tim Jackson, stood on the sidelines and campaigned to everyone for his job to be saved? While it may not just be ex-CPD involved, there's definitely some men behind the curtains. While I predict success during CGM's tenure, JJ has done enough damage to warrant his removal, and ex-CPD should move on and stay at his ranch.

^^Kirby Smart? Really? The fact is that he has not proven he can win without Saban's support. The only time CGM has really struggled, on the other hand, was when Chizik meddled with the offense (2011). Besides Cam, CGM has turned Darren McFadden, Felix Jones, and even Chris Todd into record setters! (Our offense even scored 104 points in the first 10 quarters of the '11 season before ex-CGC meddled) Now, I still would've rather had Petrino, but that would've infuriated half our fanbase--him being a "felon" and all. :-\/>

Oh and gAUlf--the fact that ex-CPD was consistently allowed to hang around practices while ex-CGC was coach? The fact that ex-CTT kept PD away from practices and ended up "resigning"? The fact that a man who went 0-8 in a conference without playing the three best teams that year was chosen to become our coach, after Gary Patterson and Will Muschamp reportedly stormed out of their interviews? The fact that one of these key figures, Tim Jackson, stood on the sidelines and campaigned to everyone for his job to be saved? While it may not just be ex-CPD involved, there's definitely some men behind the curtains. While I predict success during CGM's tenure, JJ has done enough damage to warrant his removal, and ex-CPD should move on and stay at his ranch.

There are people behind the curtain at every major programs. They are called boosters and no program would surivive without them. I haven't seen any actual report where either GP or WM "stormed out" of an interview. I'll just chalk that up to more board gossip because truth is no one knows. I dk know that GP interviewed a few hours longer than Chizik, so who knows what happened. Now PD may have had less access than he wanted to practice when TT took over, but he was 5 years removed from HC at AU. I think it's pretty safe to assume that after 20 years his influence has dwindled just a bit. I just find it laughable to assume he has any "control" with AU other than what's in his mind.

^^Kirby Smart? Really? The fact is that he has not proven he can win without Saban's support. The only time CGM has really struggled, on the other hand, was when Chizik meddled with the offense (2011). Besides Cam, CGM has turned Darren McFadden, Felix Jones, and even Chris Todd into record setters! (Our offense even scored 104 points in the first 10 quarters of the '11 season before ex-CGC meddled) Now, I still would've rather had Petrino, but that would've infuriated half our fanbase--him being a "felon" and all. :-\/>

There are people behind the curtain at every major programs. They are called boosters and no program would surivive without them. I haven't seen any actual report where either GP or WM "stormed out" of an interview. I'll just chalk that up to more board gossip because truth is no one knows. I dk know that GP interviewed a few hours longer than Chizik, so who knows what happened. Now PD may have had less access than he wanted to practice when TT took over, but he was 5 years removed from HC at AU. I think it's pretty safe to assume that after 20 years his influence has dwindled just a bit. I just find it laughable to assume he has any "control" with AU other than what's in his mind.

Are really demanding links about interviews gone bad? That's logical.....

Are really demanding links about interviews gone bad? That's logical.....

Is it logical to try to assume what happened if you weren't there?

For the folks that think the UAT "good ole boy network" vanished like a fart in the wind the moment NS was hired, they are dillusional. Mal Moore is the biggest good ole boy in this state ~ he played for the Bear and he has glad handed every major politician and big time booster that this state has seen in the last 50 freakin years. Moore is entrenched in the behind the scenes buisness of UAT athletics - he has made that ADept millions upon millions, and he has been able to spend millions upon millions of booster money for just about anything he has asked for over the years. He was fortunate to have hired a man that has become one of the best coaches of college football while at UAT. He has made good and bad hires over the years. He has been able to retain successful coaches (Patrick Murphy - softball) - (Sarah Patterson - gymnastics) - he hired Anthony Grant which looked like a good hire at the time, but has yet to prove he can get that BBteam over the "hump."

Jay Jacobs has made good and bad hires - and in spite of it all, he has been able to keep the fan support at a level to where the AD revenue stream keeps the program in the black. Personally, I'd like to see what a well-qualified AD could do with a program like AU, the resources and facilities are on par with the rest of the SEC. But, IMHO the best time to fire JJ was 3-4 months ago when xCGC was booted and the football program was cleaned out. I have my doubts that Dr. Gouge or the BOT's will show him the door any time soon.

The question still begs to be answered..... What exactly has JJ done to prevent AU athletics from winning on the field/court?

It's better than using your logic. If we used what you're saying, JJ interviewed WM, GP & GC and had options. Then he picked Gene Chizik.

Yea that would be my logic considering that is exactly what happened. You forgot Turner Gill as well. I remember a lot of folks wanting him too. And as far as WM is concerned his first year record was 7-6, second 11-2. His teams have had good-great defenses, while having bad/mediocre offenses. Chizik was 8-5 in his first year and 14-0 his second. He had a good-great offense with bad/mediocre defense. I'm going to say the jury is still out on him the same way I did with Chizik. I'm ASSUMING WM interviewed at Auburn while he was HCIW at Texas to try and hurry his path to being a head coach there. It is after all, IMO, the best job in college football. When he realized that was not going to open up as soon as he hoped he went to UF (probably the next best job). Whether or not he was truly interested in coming to Auburn I have no way of knowing. Just like i have know way of knowing what happened during his interviewing process.

What I don't understand is how some of the same people believe there are powerful people meddling too much in with the program, AND that the previous coaching staff was terrible. It's seems like it would be one or the other. Do people honestly believe PD or others are attending all practices, telling the coaches what players to start or what schemes to run? If so than how can you blame Chizik or the other coaches for the failures of last year? It would be the "Powers That Be's" fault. They were the ones that under developed the players, taught poor tackling fundamentals, instilled a ridiculous curfew, etc.

My logic is that GC got a little too big for his britches after 2010. He believed CGM received too much credit for our success and was wanting to show that he was running the program. I believe he got in over his head, and that's what lead to his downfall. And I believe JJ picked a good coach to help lead the program back in the right direction. Are there powerful people associated with Auburn that are listened to by the higher ups at Auburn? I'm sure there are. But I'm sure it's like that at every program everywhere. What I don't believe is that Pat Dye has any influence whats so ever. Who's there to listen to him, and why would they in the first place?

Who would listen to a guy that calls in to different radio shows, sounding half drunk, who looses his pants in the lake, but can't remember doing it?

It's better than using your logic. If we used what you're saying, JJ interviewed WM, GP & GC and had options. Then he picked Gene Chizik.

Yea that would be my logic considering that is exactly what happened. You forgot Turner Gill as well. I remember a lot of folks wanting him too. And as far as WM is concerned his first year record was 7-6, second 11-2. His teams have had good-great defenses, while having bad/mediocre offenses. Chizik was 8-5 in his first year and 14-0 his second. He had a good-great offense with bad/mediocre defense. I'm going to say the jury is still out on him the same way I did with Chizik. I'm ASSUMING WM interviewed at Auburn while he was HCIW at Texas to try and hurry his path to being a head coach there. It is after all, IMO, the best job in college football. When he realized that was not going to open up as soon as he hoped he went to UF (probably the next best job). Whether or not he was truly interested in coming to Auburn I have no way of knowing. Just like i have know way of knowing what happened during his interviewing process.

What I don't understand is how some of the same people believe there are powerful people meddling too much in with the program, AND that the previous coaching staff was terrible. It's seems like it would be one or the other. Do people honestly believe PD or others are attending all practices, telling the coaches what players to start or what schemes to run? If so than how can you blame Chizik or the other coaches for the failures of last year? It would be the "Powers That Be's" fault. They were the ones that under developed the players, taught poor tackling fundamentals, instilled a ridiculous curfew, etc.

My logic is that GC got a little too big for his britches after 2010. He believed CGM received too much credit for our success and was wanting to show that he was running the program. I believe he got in over his head, and that's what lead to his downfall. And I believe JJ picked a good coach to help lead the program back in the right direction. Are there powerful people associated with Auburn that are listened to by the higher ups at Auburn? I'm sure there are. But I'm sure it's like that at every program everywhere. What I don't believe is that Pat Dye has any influence whats so ever. Who's there to listen to him, and why would they in the first place?

Who would listen to a guy that calls in to different radio shows, sounding half drunk, who looses his pants in the lake, but can't remember doing it?

Applause very well said

I have to agree with you there. Yes, I believe JJ made a good choice with Malzahn. But he's done enough bad to our athletics programs in the past to the point where he should have been fired a good while back. He picked a 5-19 coach above Gary Patterson. The airport guy says it all.

Wonder if there is something about Patterson we don't know...sure have been a lot of major schools taken a pass on him over the years. It is hard to believe that TCU is such a great job.

Jj enlisted 3 more guys with a little knowledge of the game to help him hire thr rightguy or maybe to prevent him from picking the wrong one. I like it as opposed to hiring a search firm.

Jj enlisted 3 more guys with a little knowledge of the game to help him hire thr rightguy or maybe to prevent him from picking the wrong one. I like it as opposed to hiring a search firm.

Word was out that he hired a firm as well. :dunno:

I'm not sure which was worse, the silly editorial from the Plainsmen or some of the ultra-nonsensical comments in this blog.

As for the article, well, kids will be kids. The smartest thing about this release was that it was done anonymously from the Editorial Board - good move to protect the ignorant. The writer(s) acts as though all an AD does is HIRE coaches. Hello! Did y'all do ANY research for this other than learn how long the Pope has been in Rome? And if JJ is indeed BAD AT HIRING, then that doesn't speak too well of our most recent head coach hire nor the WBB coach. Great job at building school spirit here, Scoop!

And for the rest of you who THINK you are so in the know about your conspiracy theories and power plays behind the scenes at Auburn, please cite some references, because you guys sound more like National Enquirer hacks or soap opera junkies. And some of you can't blame the fact that you still haven't graduated yet and spent time in the REAL WORLD where REAL LIFE takes place.

Ohhh, the lulls of the off-season! When does Spring Training begin so we can talk about legitimate issues?

Let's all grow up a bit and get behind the people that love Auburn and are doing all they can to make her great!!

WAR EAGLE!!

I'm not sure which was worse, the silly editorial from the Plainsmen or some of the ultra-nonsensical comments in this blog.

vAs for the article, well, kids will be kids. The smartest thing about this release was that it was done anonymously from the Editorial Board - good move to protect the ignorant. The writer(s) acts as though all an AD does is HIRE coaches. Hello! Did y'all do ANY research for this other than learn how long the Pope has been in Rome? And if JJ is indeed BAD AT HIRING, then that doesn't speak too well of our most recent head coach hire nor the WBB coach. Great job at building school spirit here, Scoop!

And for the rest of you who THINK you are so in the know about your conspiracy theories and power plays behind the scenes at Auburn, please cite some references, because you guys sound more like National Enquirer hacks or soap opera junkies. And some of you can't blame the fact that you still haven't graduated yet and spent time in the REAL WORLD where REAL LIFE takes place.

Ohhh, the lulls of the off-season! When does Spring Training begin so we can talk about legitimate issues?

Let's all grow up a bit and get behind the people that love Auburn and are doing all they can to make her great!!

WAR EAGLE!!

++

As for the article, well, kids will be kids. The smartest thing about this release was that it was done anonymously from the Editorial Board - good move to protect the ignorant. The writer(s) acts as though all an AD does is HIRE coaches. Hello! Did y'all do ANY research for this other than learn how long the Pope has been in Rome? And if JJ is indeed BAD AT HIRING, then that doesn't speak too well of our most recent head coach hire nor the WBB coach. Great job at building school spirit here, Scoop!

WAR EAGLE!!

You are welcome to go on hiatus until Spring Training begins if all of this bothers you so greatly.

As for a reference to things that go on behind the scenes, it's rather difficult to provide one because they go on BEHIND THE SCENES. However, Jetgate comes to mind as pretty solid evidence thereof. Remember that? David Housel lost his job as Athletics Director because of that midnight plane ride to Louisville. Jacobs is the guy that replaced him.

And Malzahn was chosen by a selection committee headed by none other than Pat Dye, so while technically Jacobs was the one to hire him, it's hard to give him credit for it.

But you're right. How about let's all grow up and not chastise others for having what you think are asinine opinions, huh?

Archived