Game 7 vs. Indiana State

After the final run in the fourth to make it 6-5 the pitching really picked up and pawloski definitely cost us a couple of runs playing Pawl Ball. Bottom of the eight we had a lead off double and struck out after attempting to bunt, then actually stuck out bunting, and then a hard hit ground ball right to the short stop which would have moved the runner over if we hadn't already had two outs.

After the final run in the fourth to make it 6-5 the pitching really picked up and pawloski definitely cost us a couple of runs playing Pawl Ball. Bottom of the eight we had a lead off double and struck out after attempting to bunt, then actually stuck out bunting, and then a hard hit ground ball right to the short stop which would have moved the runner over if we hadn't already had two outs.

I watch a game just every now and then. I can't remember the last time we executed a SAC bunt. I just don't understand it. Glad to get the W though.

That's one of Coach Paw's things that doesn't make any sense and simply isn't good baseball. Second base is called "scoring position" for a reason. Once a runner is on second with no outs, it's time to let 'em hit away. Somebody will hit the ball advancing the runner and/or driving him in. Wasting an out trying to get a guy from second to third is absurd. In today's case, he wasted two outs on failed bunt attempts. Even if the bunt is successful it's absurd in that situation. When you don't have good, talented bunters coming to bat it's downright silly.

People that have never tried it think bunting is easy and something anybody can do. It's not, it takes a particular talent to be a successful bunter. A manager should always consider the batter's bunting ability before calling for a bunt. Even when trying to move a runner from first to second, which often makes sense, the manager must consider his batter's ability before putting the bunt on.

That's one of Coach Paw's things that doesn't make any sense and simply isn't good baseball. Second base is called "scoring position" for a reason. Once a runner is on second with no outs, it's time to let 'em hit away. Somebody will hit the ball advancing the runner and/or driving him in. Wasting an out trying to get a guy from second to third is absurd. In today's case, he wasted two outs on failed bunt attempts. Even if the bunt is successful it's absurd in that situation. When you don't have good, talented bunters coming to bat it's downright silly.

People that have never tried it think bunting is easy and something anybody can do. It's not, it takes a particular talent to be a successful bunter. A manager should always consider the batter's bunting ability before calling for a bunt. Even when trying to move a runner from first to second, which often makes sense, the manager must consider his batter's ability before putting the bunt on.

Could not disagree more. In a tight game, a SAC bunt is the best call IMO. True, second is called "being in scoring position", but a fly ball out to the OF will not score a run from second. A grounder bobbled will not score a man from second. A passed ball, or wild pitch, will not score a runner from second. However, if he is on third base...............

Could not disagree more. In a tight game, a SAC bunt is the best call IMO. True, second is called "being in scoring position", but a fly ball out to the OF will not score a run from second. A grounder bobbled will not score a man from second. A passed ball, or wild pitch, will not score a runner from second. However, if he is on third base...............

A sacrifice with no outs to get a guy to third in a tight game late in the game is absolutely the right call. But after the first attempt was not successful, now with one out you swing away. For even if the sacrifice does work and we have a man on third, there is now two outs so even a bomb to the outfield that's caught at the track or a ground ball deep into one of the infield gaps still results in an inning ending out...

A sacrifice with no outs to get a guy to third in a tight game late in the game is absolutely the right call. But after the first attempt was not successful, now with one out you swing away. For even if the sacrifice does work and we have a man on third, there is now two outs so even a bomb to the outfield that's caught at the track or a ground ball deep into one of the infield gaps still results in an inning ending out...

Now I do agree with you there. There is never any reason to SAC bunt when you have outs on the board IMO, unless it is a suicide squeeze.

No those things won't score him from second, but they'll move him to third just as would a bunt. The difference being that there's a chance that the batter hitting the grounder or fly ball hits it in the gap. No such chance with a bunt attempt.

Y'all can waste 1/3 of your chances trying to bunt a guy to third if you choose. I never would. (Never did in 16 years of managing the game, with the exception of those rare times when in my opinion the opposition could not defend a bunt and the right batter was at the plate.)

An assumption is made that 100% of bunt attempts will be successful. They are not. If you factor in the probability of a failed bunt attempt, the odds are all against wasting an out while trying to get a guy to third.

Still, while I may not agree with your tactics, I'll defend to the death your right to manage your own game. Well, maybe not to the death, but at least to the dugout. :)

Coach Paw now, he lost my defense when he had this same situation several years ago, first inning. He wasted a .390 hitter and a .400 hitter's at bats trying to bunt his runner to third. He did the same thing yesterday, albeit without the big sticks he had back then. He's done this numerous times between then and now. Some guys just never learn.

"Coach Paw now, he lost my defense when he had this same situation several years ago, first inning. He wasted a .390 hitter and a .400 hitter's at bats trying to bunt his runner to third. He did the same thing yesterday, albeit without the big sticks he had back then. He's done this numerous times between then and now. Some guys just never learn."

When you play and coach with Jack Legget you will do this kind of stuff. I knew he would do it again yesterday and shouted from behind the dugout what I thought about it. Stupid!!!! When you have a kid with two strikes on him and no outs, you swing away. You don't expect, nor allow an unproven player to attempt a bunt with two strikes on him needing to advance a runner. In the majors you rarely see it unless a pitcher is in the box. He had just attempted a bunt on a high and outside fast ball. I'm not a baseball manager, but that was off the chain. :dunno:

Bunting should be the easiest thing a batter does. Practice, practice, practice. Every player in the dugout should be able to lay a bunt down with a pitch anywhere near the strike zone. If he doesn't get a pitch near the strike zone, pull back and take the walk.

Bunting should be the easiest thing a batter does. Practice, practice, practice. Every player in the dugout should be able to lay a bunt down with a pitch anywhere near the strike zone. If he doesn't get a pitch near the strike zone, pull back and take the walk.

kinda like not making fielding errors, tackling or shooting free throws ... Don't know why our teams lack some basic fundamentals they have been doing since they were 6 y/o ... (Sorry couldn't help myself)

We don't agree here, bunting isn't as easy as it looks. Some few players have the knack for it, most don't.

Two of our college players failed to successfully bunt yesterday. Do you think Coach Paw never practices bunts? I don't know. I do know if I were to (horror) call as many bunts as he does I'd have everybody practiced up.

Still, it's been my experience that some players simply aren't good bunters and no amount of practice will make them good at it. It behooves a manager to know which of his players can execute a successful bunt and which can't and call plays according to who is at bat. Just because you want to move a runner at the expense of an out doesn't mean a bunt should be called if the batter is unlikely to execute the play successfully.

I was a drag bunter in middle/high school ball, I hated it but i was good and so i can't fault my coaches for using me that way. Power was never my game, i think i hit a grand total of five out of the park home runs in my entire career, including practice. Bunting is hard as hell. especially at the speeds the ball is coming in. It takes incredible hand-eye coordination and you have to receive the ball. If you hold out stiff you'll hit the ball way too hard and your sacrifice will be moot because they can get the lead guy. Another factor is that when placing the ball on the line, the angle of the bat creates a spin on the ball that will usually drive it towards the foul line.

TL,DR.

I've bunted my whole baseball career, usually to get on base and not as a sacrifice. It's hard as hell, practice does make it easier, but the simple fact is you generally have about .8 of a second to find the ball, adjust the bat, receive the ball, and place it.

Archived