BCS is out, AU still third, but closer

TitanTiger

I figured it up. Basically, if we can just convince 11 more AP writers to move us to 2nd over Oklahoma, and everything else stays exactly the same, we'll overtake them in the BCS. Of course, if we can convince more writers AND get more coaches on our side, and not lose any ground in the computers, we can do it also. Oklahoma can't get any more points from the computers. They have a perfect score right now. So as long as we keep what we have or gain there, and gain a little bit in each human poll, we can do this.

The media will vote for us more now. I'm more pissed at the SEC coaches for not voting for us. Who all in the SEC has a vote? I know Nutt has one and Tuberville does too so who all is holding out on us?? Saban better not be one of them.

Why is OU ranked so high in the computers? I thought we were saying that the SEC was tougher and that we should jump them because of our SOS but the computers see it differently.

In order for Auburn to pass OU in the BCS, Auburn needs to have 33% more votes then OU in the human polls. That means we need 22 more AP writers and 22 more Coaches to vote us higher. If that is the case, then aslong as we stay #3 in the CPU rankings, we advance. But I don't see Auburn gaining that many more votes. UGA was the weekend to get whatever voters we could get. We may get a few, but 44 more votes, I just don't see it happening unless we dominate UA and UT and OU really struggles with Iowa State.

It is the computer polls that are killing us. Oklahoma is 1st with 1.000 and AU is 3rd with 0.9200 giving Oklahoma a .0800 advantage which when averaged [ie divided by 3] gives Oklahoma a 0.0267 advantage in the final BCS average. This will be very difficult to make up in the end. If we should fail to make the ORange Bowl and excellent showing in bowl could still enable us to be No. 1 in the end.

Saban's still pissed over the cigar thing, or the logo stomping thing, or the kicker/flute blower incident...or something.

I heard a sports talk guy this morning talking about who all has votes. I know Tuberville, Cuttlip, Foolmer, Ripped, Satan, Holtz and 1-Nutt were mentioned. My 2 most likely not to vote for AU would be Cuttlip and Foolmer. Mark Ripped gave us some love after the game, 1-Nutt said he'd vote for us if we kept winning and I don't know why Holtz would be AU playa hatin'. We haven't played USC in years. Just goes to show there are some cutt-throats out there.

In order for Auburn to pass OU in the BCS, Auburn needs to have 33% more votes then OU in the human polls. That means we need 22 more AP writers and 22 more Coaches to vote us higher. If that is the case, then aslong as we stay #3 in the CPU rankings, we advance. But I don't see Auburn gaining that many more votes. UGA was the weekend to get whatever voters we could get. We may get a few, but 44 more votes, I just don't see it happening unless we dominate UA and UT and OU really struggles with Iowa State.

121864[/snapback]

I like Titan's numbers better. How did the both of you come up with your numbers because they are very different?

As long as we win out, I think we'll be okay.

WAR DAMN EAGLE AND BEAT BAMA!!!!!

I for one think that we should be number 1. The reason, is the quality of play that we have exibited. No one is playing as good as we are right now. With that said, I think that if we win out we will still be number 3. I think there is a bias in the media towards OK and USC. they could field a powder puff team and still be ranked in the top 5. What we are fighting now is a popularity contest. Who is more popular. The top two teams now are the teams that are up there every year, they are the hot programs right now. It moved from FL St and Miami to USC and OK. They are the media darlings right now. What made me come to this conclusion is what Kirk said on gameday. "Auburn will have to beat AL and Tenn to get my consideration on moving past OK"( not direct quote but close). Before the Georgia game it was beat GA soundly and to everyones surprise we did. So here we are, the odd man out, throwing a wrench in the system. My fear is that even if we win out and move closer to OK in the polls the pundits will continue to move the bar farther away. They will use the typical excuses SOS, Have not played anyone, Only beat LSU by 1, they are from Alabama, blah blah blah. Just my thoughts.

How can OU have .970 points last week in the computer polls, then play a really weak Nebraska team, and gain .030 points to move to 1.000. Seems to me if they play Nebraska that would mean nothing. Oh well, we just win out and all this crap will take care of itself.

Stat Tiger - hide your eyes! *grin*

Are we getting closer?

BCS point difference between OU and AU

Week 5 (current) .0271

Week 4 .0567

Week 3 .0410

Week 2 .0342

Week 1 .0125

We were closer to OU on the first week of the BCS rankings than we are now!

Maybe someone with more time than I have can set these figures against the games played and the results.

121864[/snapback]

I like Titan's numbers better. How did the both of you come up with your numbers because they are very different?

As long as we win out, I think we'll be okay.

WAR DAMN EAGLE AND BEAT BAMA!!!!!

121869[/snapback]

Wait, mine are a little off. Right now Oklahoma has a rating of .9621 to our .9350. That's a difference of .0271. So, if 12 coaches AND 11 writers switch us to #2 over Oklahoma, and the computers stay exactly the same, we'll make up the difference. The actual number was in between his and mine though. We do not need 22 writers AND 22 coaches to switch. We need 23 total in some combo to do it.

And that's assuming Oklahoma stays #1 in the computers. Right now they've got a perfect computer score. They can't gain any. If USC manages to pick off one or two of those computer polls, we need even less from the human ones.

IF we take care of business the next two games. it will all work itself out.

O N E game at a time. :au:

p.s. Jealous vols should trott on over to a uat board. I am certain they have nothing but love and respect for you. :big:

The reason that OU's SOS and overall computer rankings is higher is because of those two close calls with OSU and Texas A&M.Those were wins away from home against two ranked opponents, so the SOS gives a little more "padding" for away wins, regardless of how close they are. Our SOS will improve with the last two games, but OU's will go down, thus increasing our chances of jumping them.

In listening to gameday Kirt said that if we win out that he would change is vote. He also said that people tend to not change there vote because they are afraid of being wrong. Right now with more people giving us votes we are going to become more appealing to gain some voters each week. The way I look at it is if we let the players speak for us on the field and everything goes well we will take #2 the Monday after the :sec: game. I honestly would like for ND to knock off USC so we could stick it to OU but I also would like OU to get left out since they got a freebie last year after losing to K state. :au:

Guys, I've been off on this because I'm not factoring in that you add the three scores and divide by three. We're going to need a good bit more help than I thought. And this is the final, correct tally as to what we need.

If the computer rankings stay the same, giving Oklahoma 1.000 and us .920 in that component, we will need 33 writers AND 33 coaches that currently have Oklahoma ranked above us to switch positions and put us at #2 and OU at #3. That would make the components look like this:

Auburn would have 1569 pts in the AP for a score of .9655

Auburn would have 1466 pts in the CP for a score of .9607

Auburn would keep it's score of .920 in the computer component.

Final BCS score for Auburn: .9487

Oklahoma would have 1503 pts in the AP for a score of .9249

Oklahoma would have 1402 pts in the CP for a score of .9193

Oklahoma would keep its score of 1.000 in the computer component.

Final BCS score for Oklahoma: .9481

Other considerations:

If the computers stay the same and we only got 32 writers and 32 coaches to switch, we'd be deadlocked at .9485. I don't know what they'd do. If they take it out a few more decimals, our actual score would be .948533333 (repeating 3) while there's would be .9485 flat. But I don't know that they do that.

Some movement in the computers would help greatly. Right now five of the six computers have Oklahoma ranked #1 and the other has them second. USC is ranked second in those same five and #1 in the other one. If two of the polls switched positions, putting USC #1 and Oklahoma #2, that would drop Oklahoma's computer score to .980. If that happened, we'd only need 25 writers and 25 coaches to switch their ranking to put us ahead of OU.

Assuming OU wins out, what would help us would be either for USC to just destroy UCLA and Notre Dame and for us to be very impressive in beating both Alabama and UT. That might shake up the human polls and the computers enough for us to overtake Oklahoma. The other thing would be for USC to slip up and lose. What we don't need is for USC to scrape by and allow Oklahoma to gain anymore first place votes.

Archived