Selection day

Troy scores 4 in the ninth today to kick the turds out of the tourney

The SEC has had a poor showing, from what I have seen. We are top three loaded and a bunch of middle of the pack teams, IMO. Makes it hurt worse that we couldn't get in.

If it makes you feel better we would not have done any better.

Probably not, but at least we could have said we were a part of it. We aren't even the ugly step-child who goes to the dance with her cousin. We are the chess geek sitting at home playing Dungeons and Dragons.

Well which would you rather have? Miss the tourney or make and have 1 more year of CJP?

Based on the speed of his departure, I'll bet he would have had to win a regional to have any shot at staying.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Troy scores 4 in the ninth today to kick the turds out of the tourney

The SEC has had a poor showing, from what I have seen. We are top three loaded and a bunch of middle of the pack teams, IMO. Makes it hurt worse that we couldn't get in.

If it makes you feel better we would not have done any better.

Probably not, but at least we could have said we were a part of it. We aren't even the ugly step-child who goes to the dance with her cousin. We are the chess geek sitting at home playing Dungeons and Dragons.

Well which would you rather have? Miss the tourney or make and have 1 more year of CJP?

Based on the speed of his departure, I'll bet he would have had to win a regional to have any shot at staying.

I agree...it was probably just a matter of timing.....his last loss this season was going to be his last game with AU..... unless by some miracle we got to a super regional. As for over-generous to SEC....could be true but over-generous IMO is putting teams with 100+ RPI into the tournament though I guess most of them give the bigger schools a couple good warm-up games before things get serious.

As for over-generous to SEC....could be true but over-generous IMO is putting teams with 100+ RPI into the tournament ....

Is your ignorance bliss?

Which +100 RPI team was the selection committee so generous to? The following played their way in by way of winning their conference:

#101 Columbia - Ivy League champ (automatic bid)

#103 Wichita State - Missouri Valley champ (automatic bid)

#109 UT San Antonio - Western Athletic champ (automatic bid)

#168 South Dakota State - Summit champ (automatic bid)

#171 Binghamton - America East champ (automatic bid)

#178 Valparaiso - Horizon League champ (automatic bid)

#184 Savannah State - Mid Eastern Athletic champ (automatic bid)

#201 Bowling Green - Mid-American champ (automatic bid)

#203 Army - Patriot League champ (automatic bid)

#252 Jackson State - Southwestern Athletic champ (automatic bid)

The highest RPI ranked team taken at large was Oklahoma State at #52

Sorry, guess I should have made myself clearer. "Overly generous" in my view is having a system that allows 10 teams into the event with 100+ RPI plus another half dozen or so with RPI in the 70s and up. The RPI isn't perfect but it's not that inaccurate either. These high RPI teams. whether they are "automatic bids" or not, were never going anywhere and IMO, including them in the tournament diminishes the completion. Meanwhile, quite a few better teams that could have produced some interesting ballgames were left out....and I'm not just talking AU. Baseball, like basketball, may have a 64 team tournament but in baseball, a sizeable percent of the field never had a chance to get beyond the first round in a double elimination tourney. A few of them might win one game somewhere along the line but that was about the most to expect. As designed, 16 teams finished 0-2 and 14 of them were the #4 seed....not surprising. So at this point, we are down to 16 teams and 14 of them are #1 seeds and two #2 seeds. In basketball with single elimination every game matters and some very good teams have been knocked out by the time sweet 16 rolls around. Usually a couple lower seed teams are still in the tournament by the elite 8. The system in baseball virtually guarantees that the top seeds will advance.....and maybe that's what people want....and if so, that's what we have. Now at least, the warm-up games are over and the real tournament begins. .

.............. "Overly generous" in my view is having a system that allows 10 teams into the event with 100+ RPI plus another half dozen or so with RPI in the 70s and up....

If the list above is accurate, there were the 10 teams that were automatic qualifiers and NO at large team with an RPI above 52. Where did you find the "half-dozen or so with RPI's in the 70's and up." ?

If you want to make a case that the 10 automatic qualifiers shouldn't be in, that's an argument that could apply to both basketball and baseball. However, it appears that there was no at-large team with an RPI over 52 in the baseball tournament. To say a team with an RPI of 52 or better doesn't belong in a 64 team tournament doesn't make any sense.

The only beef I can see is with the 10 automatic qualifiers.

Archived