Selection day

word is spread by folks who are clueless and have no basis for the facts except their own bias opinions

Actually coming from a friend in the AD and people that would know as in PM, JGT, Hoke, and BM.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ellitor ... your tune has changed since AU was eliminated from the SEC Tournament ...

Ellitor's tune changes on every win and loss. I appreciate your "want to", but this team coaching staff just isn't in the mix in the SEC. They actually gave themselves a chance late, but when Pawlowski let the middle game against Florida get away, they were done. He flat hung O'Neal out to dry.

And I'm convinced nightranger is JP. Keep sellin' it coach.

It was the first time I paid attention to this stuff intently like RPI on a game by game basis. It was a learning experience for me and I will adjust in future seasons. I agree with the rest of your post.

I don't know if Dunn is the answer, but a new culture is needed for AU baseball. Making the NCAA tournament shouldn't be in question like this every year.

On the other hand, if you like making it once every five years and then bowing out quickly, Coach Paw is your man!

There's a good coach at South Alabama, another good one at Troy (bammer grad but what the hey) and Dunn at Samford. I'm not raging for any particular guy but were I getting paid a six-figure salary I'd already have a short list. WHO replaces Pawloski isn't the question, that he needs to be replaced is beyond a doubt. There's only one way to go, that's up. Pawloski has done worse than Steve Renfroe, both in the SEC and overall, and Renfroe got fired. Pawloski has already had one year more then he should have had.

ellitor ... your tune has changed since AU was eliminated from the SEC Tournament ...

Ellitor's tune changes on every win and loss. I appreciate your "want to", but this team coaching staff just isn't in the mix in the SEC. They actually gave themselves a chance late, but when Pawlowski let the middle game against Florida get away, they were done. He flat hung O'Neal out to dry.

It was the first time I paid attention to this stuff intently like RPI on a game by game basis. It was a learning experience for me and I will adjust in future seasons. I agree with the rest of your post.

You kept trying to quantify things and the baseball selection is based more in subjective areas. In our case this year....finished last in our division, played extremely weak OOC schedule and lost in the first round of the SEC tournament. RPI and all the rest carry less weight than those things right there. Baseball selection is different from basketball selection, maybe because the guys picking it are baseball people and they look at things differently than do the basketball types.

PS: RPI does fluctuate, but a good rule of thumb is if your team plays a very weak OOC schedule, your team's RPI will be very low at the final count. It's RPI may fluctuate wildly but when the playin' is done and the final numbers are tallied, weak OOC schedule=low RPI.

You kept trying to quantify things and the baseball selection is based more in subjective areas. In our case this year....finished last in our division, played extremely weak OOC schedule and lost in the first round of the SEC tournament. RPI and all the rest carry less weight than those things right there. Baseball selection is different from basketball selection, maybe because the guys picking it are baseball people and they look at things differently than do the basketball types.

PS: RPI does fluctuate, but a good rule of thumb is if your team plays a very weak OOC schedule, your team's RPI will be very low at the final count. It's RPI may fluctuate wildly but when the playin' is done and the final numbers are tallied, weak OOC schedule=low RPI.

Agreed but Auburn also had a fairly high RPI most of the last part too though because they won 4 of 8 series against teams who made the tournament. No other bubble team can say that. That with a final RPI in the top 35 would have gotten Auburn in.

Quoting ellitor: "Agreed but Auburn also had a fairly high RPI most of the last part too though because they won 4 of 8 series against teams who made the tournament. No other bubble team can say that. That with a final RPI in the top 35 would have gotten Auburn in."

Did you even read what I wrote? I said the RPI would fluctuate wildly but WHEN THE PLAYIN' IS DONE weak OOC schedule =low RPI. The playin' wasn't done when you were trying to calculate RPI through "most of the last part". Winning four of 8 series doesn't matter to them but finishing last in your division does. Again, the baseball committee, an outfit I've been watching for over 20 years, is a different animal from what you are used to.

Auburn's final RPI wasn't going anywhere without some strong OOC wins. We had none. Had the RPI been better and we still finished last with no strong OOC wins the RPI wouldn't have mattered. It's how they do things.

e- Just ribbin you a little man ... referring to how some of us were instantly worried after the SEC loss that we hadn't done enough to secure a NCAA Regional bid.

e- Just ribbin you a little man ... referring to how some of us were instantly worried after the SEC loss that we hadn't done enough to secure a NCAA Regional bid.

Gotcha. :cheers:/>

Later Paw...

Believe so; really wanted him to be successful but just could never really do much. Fundamentals and base running, I feel like, were the two things that needed to be addressed that seemingly never were. We'll see what the AD decides to do, but my guess is that if there is a change decided on, it will most likely be Casey Dunn. If there is no change, he will definitely be on the hot seat next year to win the west, and be in contention to host a regional.

If that is the case based on what he has done, or shall I say has not done at Samford, we will likely be in the same spot 4 or 5 years from now.

I'm not saying this would be a good hire, I'm saying this would be the probable hire. A safe, Jay Jacobs hire

Hey Ellitor, I enjoyed the back and forth with you this season, hate that it didn't go the way you or I wanted. I get the sense you are a gentle soul, wouldn't take the bait even once. I want to be like that when I grow up. :bow:

Later Paw...

Believe so; really wanted him to be successful but just could never really do much. Fundamentals and base running, I feel like, were the two things that needed to be addressed that seemingly never were. We'll see what the AD decides to do, but my guess is that if there is a change decided on, it will most likely be Casey Dunn. If there is no change, he will definitely be on the hot seat next year to win the west, and be in contention to host a regional.

If that is the case based on what he has done, or shall I say has not done at Samford, we will likely be in the same spot 4 or 5 years from now.

I'm not saying this would be a good hire, I'm saying this would be the probable hire. A safe, Jay Jacobs hire

Man I can't see anything safe about hiring Dunn.....just because they occasionally beat AU's mid-week teams means nothing and certainly is not a qualification to coach at AU. Safe is someone from a Div 1 school that has been competitive at a national level.....but at a major school /conference where baseball does not have the status and facilities that the SEC schools have.

Later Paw...

Man I can't see anything safe about hiring Dunn.....just because they occasionally beat AU's mid-week teams means nothing and certainly is not a qualification to coach at AU. Safe is someone from a Div 1 school that has been competitive at a national level.....but at a major school /conference where baseball does not have the status and facilities that the SEC schools have.

Safe as in something easy. Something that Auburn could probably get done pretty easily, instead of going after a name that no one would ever expect but someone who is a great baseball coach, in which case would take longer and require more negotiation.

Later Paw...

Safe as in something easy. Something that Auburn could probably get done pretty easily, instead of going after a name that no one would ever expect but someone who is a great baseball coach, in which case would take longer and require more negotiation.

That's true....but there sure isn't any rush right now. Plenty of time to shop around, watch who is doing what at the NCAA play-offs , etc. Guess if I were JJ I would roll the dice....safe is what usually gets you fired.

A buddy called me this morning. He said he was listening to Brando and heard that the NC St. coach is married to a fine Auburn lady. There is somebody to pull for in this thing. Vandy is the only SEC team I will be pulling for.

A buddy called me this morning. He said he was listening to Brando and heard that the NC St. coach is married to a fine Auburn lady. There is somebody to pull for in this thing. Vandy is the only SEC team I will be pulling for.

Why not TAMU? Texas treats them like Bama treats us.

Why not TAMU? Texas treats them like Bama treats us.

Yeah, forgot about A&M. I will be pulling for them also, but just Vandy and A&M. (shout out to Steve Martin)

Troy scores 4 in the ninth today to kick the turds out of the tourney

The SEC has had a poor showing, from what I have seen. We are top three loaded and a bunch of middle of the pack teams, IMO. Makes it hurt worse that we couldn't get in.

The SEC has had a poor showing, from what I have seen. We are top three loaded and a bunch of middle of the pack teams, IMO. Makes it hurt worse that we couldn't get in.

If it makes you feel better we would not have done any better.

Possibly....that's the thing about baseball, even the worst teams in the MLB win some series against the best. And while a double elimination series increases the odds that the better teams will win, Even teams like William & Mary, Troy, and Liberty among others managed to make things difficult for some more highly regarded teams. " We would not have done better"....that's just an opinion based on nothing in particular. AU took 2 of 3 each from UF, Ole Miss and Arky coming down to the end of the season. Some might enjoy kicking this team around and that's their choice but it's just as easy (and rational) to say we would have done better....JMO.

Probably not, but at least we could have said we were a part of it. We aren't even the ugly step-child who goes to the dance with her cousin. We are the chess geek sitting at home playing Dungeons and Dragons.

Probably not, but at least we could have said we were a part of it. We aren't even the ugly step-child who goes to the dance with her cousin. We are the chess geek sitting at home playing Dungeons and Dragons.

Well which would you rather have? Miss the tourney or make and have 1 more year of CJP?

The selection committee was overly generous to the SEC and we have no real beef about being left out. I am believing that the days of being automatic are just around the corner, pulling for Jacobs to make a really good selection. I'd love to take my son to Omaha and see our Tigers play for a title.

Well which would you rather have? Miss the tourney or make and have 1 more year of CJP?

I will take option C for a thousand Alex.

Archived