Why is it...

AURules

Barbee is still our basketball coach?

Chiz won 2010 BCS Championship then went 3-9 in 2012 - GONE!

Pawlowski won SEC Western Championship in 2010 and hosted NCAA Regionals and went 167-126 overall record in 5 seasons - GONE!

Barbee has led AU basketball no where, finishes last in SEC in 2012-2013 and went 9-23 last season. Plus, player attrition is at an all time high!

So why does this guy get another season when his collegue's are all getting the ax with much better overall success?

Let me say that I agree with those firings but I also agree another season under Barbee means another losing year for our basketball program!!!

It appears that all Auburn coaches get atleast 5 years under J.J. before the call is made and under normal circumstances, I'd say 5 years is needed for a basketball coach but I just can't see Barbee turning things around by this time next year so why is he apparently the only losing AU coach that keeps his job another year with less overall success than those losing their job?

My personal opinion of why Barbee hasn't been fired yet is the buy-out. I think I read where his is about 3 million. Add that to Chizik's buy-out, and you've got quite a lot of money going out to coaches who don't have jobs. I just don't see AU basketball much better next year than this past year, even if the NCAA grants the waiver to the Seagers kid from Rutgers, which, to me, is at best a long-shot since Rutgers did fire the coach that was abusing the players---took them a while to do it, but the guy was fired and replaced.

I have to agree with Randy, probably the costly buyout. But good lord, I saw Ryan Miller driving around Auburn in his new Maserati the other day (has temporary plates on it.) How much are we paying that staff overall? Also agree we won't be much improved next year, especially without a real PG and presence of a big man.

Edit: Looked at the payroll, Barbee makes about 20k a month, Ryan Miller 16k a month.... :dead:

I would like to think that Jacobs is waiting for Bruce Pearl to clear this last year of his NCAA "show cause" deal from his screw-up at Tennessee and be able to come coach the AU Tigers. Like I said, I would like to think that, but I bet that's just my wishful thinking.

• 2 weeks later...

We have JJ to thank for the ridiculous buyouts that he "negotiated" with coaches that either aren't getting the job done (CTB) or nobody else wants (CGC)....

Archived