AP #1 voting breakdown

88Tiger

AP #1 votes...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOUTHERN CAL (51)

Elton Alexander, Cleveland (Ohio) Plain Dealer

Neil Amato, Durham (N.C.) Herald-Sun

Steve Batterson, (Davenport, Iowa) Quad City Times

Joe Biddle, (Nashville) Tennessean

Kirk Bohls, Austin (Texas) American Statesman

B.G. Brooks, (Denver) Rocky Mountain News

Jimmy Burch, Fort Worth (Texas) Star-Telegram

Jim Carty, Ann Arbor (Mich.) News

Jimmy Cefalo, WPLG-TV, Miami

Bob Condotta, Seattle Times

Chuck Cooperstein, KESN-FM, Arlington, Texas

Rob Daniels, Greensboro (N.C.) News & Record

Doug Doughty, Roanoke (Va.) Times

Charles Durrneberger, (Tuscon) Arizona Daily Star

Pat Forde, ESPN.com

Chris Fowler, ESPN

Herb Gould, Chicago Sun-Times

Tim Griffin, San Antonio Express-News

Brian Hamilton, St. Paul (Minn.) Pioneer Press

Todd Harmonson, (Santa Ana, Calif.) Orange County Register

Doug Harris, Dayton (Ohio) Daily News

Shawn Harrison, Logan (Utah) Herald Journal

Joe Hawk, Las Vegas Review-Journal

Bob Holt, (Little Rock) Arkansas Democrat-Gazette

Mike Kern, Philadelphia Daily News

Steve Kiggins, Casper (Wyo.) Star-Tribune

George Lehner, WTVN-AM, Columbus, Ohio

Ted Lewis, (New Orleans) Times-Picayune

Tom Luicci, Newark (N.J.) Star-Ledger

Tom Mulhern, (Madison) Wisconsin State Journal

John Niyo, Detroit News

Neill Ostrout, (Bridgeport) Connecticut Post

Joe Person, (Columbia, S.C.) The State

Mike Prater, (Boise) Idaho Statesman

Scott Rabalais, Baton Rouge (La.) Advocate

Dave Rahme, Syracuse (N.Y.) Post-Standard

Curt Rallo, South Bend (Ind.) Tribune

Kyle Ringo, Boulder (Colo.) Daily Camera

John Rohde, The Oklahoman

Steve Sipple, Lincoln (Neb.) Journal Star

Bill Smizik, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Bob Thomas, (Jacksonville) Florida Times-Union

Edgar Thompson, Palm Beach (Fla.) Post

Tommy Trujilo, Santa Fe (N.M.) New Mexican

Ken Tysiac, Charlotte (N.C.) Observer

Michael Vega, Boston Globe

Michael Wallace, Jackson (Miss.) Clarion-Ledger

Joe Walljasper, Columbia (Mo.) Tribune

Ryan White, (Portland) Oregonian

Doug Wilson, Bloomington (Ind.) Herald-Times

Scott Wolf, Los Angeles Daily News

OKLAHOMA (8)

Paul Gattis, Huntsville (Ala.) Times

Craig James, CBS

Fred Lewis, Honolulu Advertiser

Ray Ratto, San Francisco Chronicle

Mark Tupper, Decatur (Ill.) Herald & Review Bee

Keith Whitmire, Dallas Morning News

Jon Wilner, San Jose (Calif.) Mercury News

Chuck Woodling, Lawrence (Kan.) Journal-World

AUBURN (6)

John Adams, Knoxville (Tenn.) News-Sentinel

Tony Barnhart, Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Barker Davis, Washington Times

Matt Hayes, The Sporting News

Neal McCready, Mobile (Ala.) Register

Mitch Vingle, Charleston (W.V.) Gazette

 Compiled by Jenni Carlson

Paul Gattis works For the Huntsville (Alabama) Times

Paul Gattis is the beat writer for the Alabama Crimson Tide

You can send Paul a love note at pgattis@htimes.com

Let him know how much you appreciate him voting Oklahoma

I think I might just email the fool to find out why he votes the way he does. If he truly believe and tell me why he believes OU is the #1 team then so be it. Any one else feel like dropping him a few thousand emails....

pgattis@htimes.com

My E-mail to him:

May I just ask why?

Do you really think OK is a better team than Auburn?

Do you really think OK defence could stop KY, Ark, Ole Miss nevermind GA, Tenn, Auburn?

Please if you have any valid reason for voting the way you do, put it in the paper.

Make it public for all to see.

Regards,

Chris Fowler said during gameday "there are 4 AP votes right here" but I only see his. I thought he was talking about Corso, Herbstreet, May and the other guy that hates Auburn. I only see onr vote from ESPN

All "kidding" aside bg, I really believe that you would vote for AU. But, sadly, there are those that just simply can't bring themselves to do it.

WAR EAGLE ! ! !...O N E at a time. :au:

being a normal bama fan DOES mean you wouldn't vote for auburn. heck i didn't even think about him being a bama beat writer. i just assumed he attended the university's journalism school, and that was enough for me to assume he voted for ou in the heart of sec country.

The only thing about emailing this guy is he may honestly feel OU is better than USC or AU. How did he vote for no. 2 and 3? And if everyone starts sending him hate mail or nasty emails, it might backfire and make him never change his mind. He could be of the opinion that AU has not proved enough yet, and be waiting on the UA and SECCG game. Who knows? As tempted as we are to send off a scorching note, be patient and let the team do their business on the field.

The CBS guy should vote SEC too

i think the guys that keep voting USC - Oklahoma 1-2 want to show that they were right in the preseason polls

conclusion: preseason polls suck

as king of the nasty email society, i ask all of you to please NOT email this prick....if he is a bammerboob(and i am sure that he is)it will only make him more beligerent....let it be,for now.....if it doesn't work out,then after all the shouting is over,we can shut down his email server with nasty and hateful email...

sorry, your pleas are wasted on me. my email to the man:

"Mr. Gattis,

I'm not going to pretend that I'm just some unbiased observer that happened to take note of the voting style of one ap writer. I'm an Auburn student (although at 5 years, I may as well think of it as a career plan), an Auburn fan, and a confused SEC fan. How is it that a man that covers football within this state could possibly believe that better football could be played outside the SEC when choosing between an unbeaten SEC team and any other conference's unbeaten?

For possibly no one's sake but my own, let's look at exactly what your vote of Oklahoma at number one really means. It means you have to believe that playing on a neutal field the OU defense would be good enough to stop the Auburn offense (14th ranked scoring defense that also gave up 80 in two weeks against the 16th ranked scoring offense) more effectively than Auburn's defense could stop the Sooners offense (that would be a resounding 1st ranked defense against a strong 12th ranked offense). If the old coaching axiom is true (that'd be the one about defense winning championships), you're wrong.

Your vote also says that you believe Texas, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma State are better than Georgia, LSU, and Tennessee. Seeing as how Texas was a Matt Jones-becoming-Clint Stoerner fumble away from losing at home to Arkansas, I'd have to say that's laughable.

Or it could mean you think Texas Tech, Bowling Green (who should've been an Auburn opponent), and Nebraska are resoundingly more dangerous than Alabama (who I'm sure you know owns the nation's number two total defense), Arkansas, and Ole Miss. Honestly? I'd put money on Tide and Hog victories over their counterparts.

Or it could mean that you honestly believe there is a significant diffence between an elite team playing Baylor instead of MSU (both of which sport one miracle win on the year) or Houston over Kentucky or Kansas over Vandy. At what point is a bad team with no shot just a bad team with no shot regardless of if they have 2 wins or 4? The only separation I see in schedules comes from Oregon and Kansas State who are decidedly also-rans.

Finally, it must mean you condone playing tight games against fringe top 25 teams then running up the score on the Nebraskas and Kansases of the world as opposed to handing it to top 10 teams just as hard as you do the bad ones by calling off the dogs. The 12-0 win over Texas was impressive, but moreso than a 24 point beat down in the country's largest stadium that could have been a lot worse? We both relied on a missed kick to win a game, but are we really comparing LSU to Okie State? Winning at Kyle Field is tough, but is it harder than holding UGA scoreless for 58 minutes while rolling up points against what would be the best defense in the Big 12? Don't think so.

So, really I was just wondering how a man in SEC country could watch the best football being played in the nation week-in, week-out then vote for someone else. Hopefully, you'll have a change of heart or even better, maybe my boys will change your mind when you see them up close and personal this weekend. War Eagle!

Mitch McGuffey

Super Senior"

MCQUFCM, I read your complete email and I see nothing hateful or nasty. You stated facts, well composed and well written. Nothing wrong with that.........

WAR EAGLE!!!!!!

Don't spam these guys with pointless emails just because you want them to vote for Auburn. I think we should not sending them anything. If you decide to write then please make a factual argument for your concern.

If you spam them then they could turn on Auburn and vote us #20 just as easily as they put us #3. That would be very bad!

mcufgum,

That was really, really an excellent post! In the old Pogo comic strips, Pogo used to say, "We have met the enemy and he is us". How true....

Amen!  DON'T email these guys...Let the team earn it on the field!!!!  Emailing these guys can only backfire on our team.

122883[/snapback]

Living in Huntsville and knowing Gattis, I disagree. he has other ambitions other than being the bama beat writer for the Huntsville Times. He would welcome the attention and his ego will be thrilled to know that someone actually paid attention to who he voted for. So e-mail him.....just be factual and nice. Ask to make his reasoning public.

Chris Fowler said during gameday "there are 4 AP votes right here" but I only see his.  I thought he was talking about  Corso, Herbstreet, May and the other guy that hates Auburn.  I only see onr vote from ESPN

122615[/snapback]

Look right above Fowler in the list of those voting for USC. Pat Forde is the other ESPN voter.

Archived