Watching AU football online- is ditching DIRECTV a good idea?

edition10

Hi everyone,

We are trying to cut some expenses at home, and the idea of turning off DIRECTV came up. It looks like college football viewing is the only thing we really use it for anyway. For those who watch online routinely: How is the quality? Where do you watch? Free or PPV (like ESPN 360)? Is there a way to find all of the games somewhere?

Thanks for any help.

Guest jojo1515

Firstrowsports.eu. not always reliable but free. If you have internet through an approved provider, you can use espn3...although blackouts are common. If you can find someone to give you their login info for an approved espn provider, you can get all 3 espns on the watch espn app. You may be able to get some of the sport stations online if you look. All the locals you can pick up in high def with a coathanger antenna. Look it up online. If built properly and put in clear view (like on the roof), you can get perfectly clear HD channels for free.

ESPN3 will show on the internet some of the lesser games but usually not the top tier games (like the ones being broadcast on the main ESPN channel). The ESPN app for the Xbox is really good. You just won't get to see some of the games. And as mentioned, blackout is an issue at times.

I have an antenna in the attic. And it works great for the local channel. Of course, that depends on your location.

When my youngest daughter graduates from high school next year, we may very well go back to antenna only. We are like you. Other than for her, the sports channels (and HGTV for my wife) are really the only reason we are paying for DirectTV.

We "Cut the cord" about 7 months ago and can vouch what everyone is saying. If you are within 30 miles of your local station's antennas an indoor antenna can get you all the networks in HD. Then for ESPN, you would need to "piggy-back" off someone with a log in for DirectTV & Comcast, etc. Also, I found this media server you can get for $50 that you can watch ALOT of stuff through. It's called Play-on. Here is the address: http://www.playon.tv/playon

Over the air HDTV is actually better quality in many cases. The cable and sat providers compress the signal and there is a slight quality loss.

ESPN is the main reason I have not cut off our DirecTV yet. I like it, actually, but $90 for the HD service/DVR drives me nuts for how little we watch TV. I've discovered how much I like watching games slightly time delayed as well with the DVR. I can start watching a Falcons game after it's been going for 90 minutes and do the :30 second skip to see each play much faster all the way to the end. I won't do that for Auburn games if I can help it.

I just join the local Auburn Club at a central viewing location that provides Directv access for us. In our case, it's one of the local Buffalo Wild Wings. It's better watching the game with fellow Tigers, anyway.

I just join the local Auburn Club at a central viewing location that provides Directv access for us. In our case, it's one of the local Buffalo Wild Wings. It's better watching the game with fellow Tigers, anyway.

I'm still hoping to get over there and watch a game with you good folks. WAR EAGLE! I watch a lot of AUBURN games on ESPN3. It works very well.

Over the air HDTV is actually better quality in many cases. The cable and sat providers compress the signal and there is a slight quality loss.

True dat....

My ESPN3 usually has very poor video quality. So many shadows, etc, you can't even distinguish the football in the air, hard to see the players' numbers, etc.

This year I will try using a notebook through the TV using an HDMI cable to see if there is any improvement.

In the Carolinas ESPN blacks out most good games on their 360 feature.....local cable companies don't subscribe. We can get the 11 AM games on local channels but looks like AU is going to be heavy on the various ESPN stations so that's about our only choice. I hate ESPN on general principle but on the other hand, I'm a sports nut.... watch whatever is in season about all year round so on a $ per hour of TV watching I probably get my money's worth.

I really need help in this area. We decided to cut the cord with cable back in FEB. Please post sites where we can stream the games. All I can get is espn3, the others are blocked for me.

Guest jojo1515

Espn3 will also seemingly have less games this year if you've used it in the past. Since they have released their watchESPN app that shows ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU, any game aired on those stations will likely be blacked out on ESPN3...As far as listing websites, I believe there is an old thread in this forum that does just that.

Edit: yup. Here you go. http://www.aufamily....or-au-football/

I used to do this with the Auburn Club in Dallas. Good Times! I recommend your local Auburn club if you can't get to the game. Watching with like-minded people makes it a more fulfilling experience.

• 3 weeks later...

As antiquated as this sounds; listening to Rod and Stan on the radio can be just as much fun, and more informative, than listening to the bubble heads on espn. I've reached a sstage where I'm often likely listen on the radio whild sitting on the back porch while recording the game on Dish...and ten watch if I feel like it later.

One day ESPN and other channels will wise up and allow people to subscribe directly and watch their channels via an app (smart tv/tablets/media streamers/phones etc), or internet browser. Or a real provider will step up and allow IP based subscriptions via browser/apps. Right now I turn my cable on right before football season and then off again when it is over. There is no other way to ensure you get every game in HD without a cable or dish provider.

OK, I will be out of town for the game. I do have DirectTV, is there a way I can log on and watch the game online thru Direct TV or on ESPNU with my DirectTV log on?

OK, I will be out of town for the game. I do have DirectTV, is there a way I can log on and watch the game online thru Direct TV or on ESPNU with my DirectTV log on?

If DirectTV has a deal with the Watch ESPN app you should be, if not you might be out of luck.

If DirectTV has a deal with the Watch ESPN app you should be, if not you might be out of luck.

Nope DirectTV isn't on there but I got it covered.

You can always watch it on ESPN3.

You can always watch it on ESPN3.

Hmmmm. Seems like I tried that once before but didn't work for some reason. I'm just hoping the hotel we will be staying will have ESPNU and I won't have to worry about finding it online. So excited and ready to watch the game.

Archived