Strength of SEC this year

minister of music

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Ole Miss has as much talent as most people say they have than Ole Miss should have beaten Vandy soundly.

Partially yes. Remember Vandy has better overall talent than they ever had also.

Ole Miss' young guys looked as good as advertised. Nkemdiche seemed like he played every snap. Tony Connor made some solid plays on the backside, and Treadwell carried the offense for a stretch during the comeback. At least in game one, those dudes lived up to all their hype.

Vandy has better players than people give them credit. They're not on the Stanford level, but Stanford battled that misconception for a while as well. Those aren't low talent smart kids just looking to give a good team a challenge. Those are solid football players with a fair number of dudes that may play on Sunday. Andre Hal and Jordan Matthews are as good as just about anyone in the SEC at their respective positions.

I'm telling you guys. Those were two good football teams. Not elite but good.

You guys are reading it the wrong way. No one said Ole sis and vandy were top tier teams. I said they had size,strength,and speed and even though they were young they performed. No Ole Miss is not Bam or Georgia.....But either Vandy or Ole Miss have the talent to compete with any conference . Naysayers look beyond your noses and see the subject.

Agree.

Yeah totally agree...I mean those two teams did make bowl games while we were sitting at home...Just don't think we should start writing off or discounting any teams when we have a lot to prove ourselves...good game last night though

Speaking of Matthews, I could have gone all season without seeing someone upchuck all over my screen.....lol . But the kid just kept coming back in...........Awful that the ball went through his fingers there on that last attempt to be intercepted. He was "Man" of the night,despite breaking down there at the end crying.

Just think, this kid REALLY wanted to come to AU! But a certain wr coach and head coach decided not to offer, wow!!

Lucky for him... as it's turns out he might just break all-time SEC receiving yards at Vandy... not for Vandy, but for the SEC while at Vandy.... Vandy ??? Vandy as in Vanderbilt. (not sure he'd ever done that here)@!

In all three SEC games yesterday, I witnessed much better QB play than we have seen at AU in two years. Not the strongest arms, but they were accurate and made good decisions. All three offenses looked pretty good; though, I think that all of them will run into problems when they try to run smallish QBs between the tackles against the powers in the SEC. I believe that AU will have the same issue.

I was just glad to finally have some relevant college football to watch. Both games were entertaining and not to penalty sloppy for the first game of the season. IMO Vandy and Ole Miss both played a good competitive first game. Are they both mediocre teams I don't know it was just game 1 in a new season. IMO they both looked capable of competing with any other team in the SEC. Vandy has some savvy players, with a coach that has giving them some swag and a competitive attitude which can be dangerous on any given Saturday. Ole Miss has a good coach who is persuading the best to play there...and believe it or not IMO they have enough talent young and old to upset any team on their schedule this year. My hats off to all of them for an entertaining competitive set of games last night.

I enjoyed watching the game. Vandy just needs to learn how to win. They dominated Ole Miss during stretches of the game. They just haven't learned how to put an opponent away yet. Those were two good teams last night. They both have a chance at 6 or 7 wins.

I'm not buying it. These were not two quality teams. Just because the game was fun to watch doesn't mean the two teams exemplify "Quality".

Where do I start? Vandy acted like they never even knew the option existed in college football until they faced Ole Miss. There were a few coaching errors I saw on the Ole Miss sideline (for ex. Wallace not even attempting to draw the defense offsides before the fake punt play). Missed coverages galore by both teams. Others on this thread probably have stated more observations.

Fun game to watch, yes.. But definitely not top 25 caliber teams.

I'm not drinkin the Ole Miss kool-aid... To me, those were two mediocre teams. If Vandy and Ole Miss are quality SEC teams, then the SEC is gonna have a down year.

You may be looking at the Vandy and Ole Miss of a decade ago

I'm not drinkin the Ole Miss kool-aid... To me, those were two mediocre teams. If Vandy and Ole Miss are quality SEC teams, then the SEC is gonna have a down year.

Agreed. We don't have room to talk down about them.,

Well seeing both of them BEAT us last year and both of them went to BOWL GAMES we have no room at all.

I hate how we are all sayin how thay still are STILL the bottom dwellers of the SEC. Minimally talented, mediocre, "Same old Vandy, Same old Ole Miss". Well that makes us bunk buddies with kentucky I guess. I enjoyed the game and I can only HOPE our freshmen will play that well tomorrow.

Well seeing both of them BEAT us last year and both of them went to BOWL GAMES we have no room at all.

I hate how we are all sayin how thay still are STILL the bottom dwellers of the SEC. Minimally talented, mediocre, "Same old Vandy, Same old Ole Miss". Well that makes us bunk buddies with kentucky I guess. I enjoyed the game and I can only HOPE our freshmen will play that well tomorrow.

They are still the bottom dwellers of the SEC. Until one of them ever reaches the SEC Championship game at least once, a BCS Bowl, or heck even one of the upper tier bowl games they will stay at that classification. They don't just become non-bottom dwellers because they barely reach a bowl game with a 6 win season.

Auburn had one of its worst seasons in 50 years. We do not have losing seasons or heck.. 7 win seasons on a consistent basis such as Ole Miss or Vandy.

Ok, y'all are reading way too much in to that post! Not once did I say we were a better team than either Ole Miss or Vandy... in fact, if you read my later posts in this thread, you would see that I still consider us a 3-9 team (until we prove differently on the field)...

But, if you for one second, think that was good football, and those were two "quality" teams that played last night... then you don't know much about the game. As I have already posted, I saw missed tackles, busted coverages, crucial penalties, lack of execution, and average coaching... That was nothing more than two mediocre teams playing an entertaining game.

Again, if that is the best the SEC has to offer, our conference is a joke.

You realize Auburn's win totals over the last five years are 5, 8, 14, 8, and 3. Right? The 14 is an outlier just like the 3. Over the last five years, we're an inconsistent 7-win regular season team. We sprinkled in one great year and one awful one.

That's better tha Vandy or Ole Miss, but I think Auburn fans are a touch confused about the state of our program since Tubby's great run (from 2004-07: 13, 9, 11, and 9 wins with Sugar, Cotton and Peach bowl wins).

You realize Auburn's win totals over the last five years are 5, 8, 14, 8, and 3. Right? The 14 is an outlier just like the 3. Over the last five years, we're an inconsistent 7-win regular season team. We sprinkled in one great year and one awful one.

That's better tha Vandy or Ole Miss, but I think Auburn fans are a touch confused about the state of our program since Tubby's great run (from 2004-07: 13, 9, 11, and 9 wins with Sugar, Cotton and Peach bowl wins).

+1

They are still the bottom dwellers of the SEC. Until one of them ever reaches the SEC Championship game at least once, a BCS Bowl, or heck even one of the upper tier bowl games they will stay at that classification. They don't just become non-bottom dwellers because they barely reach a bowl game with a 6 win season.

Auburn had one of its worst seasons in 50 years. We do not have losing seasons or heck.. 7 win seasons on a consistent basis such as Ole Miss or Vandy.

The 7 win seasons of 2011 and 2009 beg to argue

Of course that's not consistent though, we also have 14-0, 3-9 , and 5-7

But on a serious note to still be looking down at Ole Miss as a bottom dweller is dumb, at least look at Miss State like that...Ole Miss is gonna have one of the best speed games in the nation

The 7 win seasons of 2011 and 2009 beg to argue

Of course that's not consistent though, we also have 14-0, 3-9 , and 5-7

We won 8 in 2009 and 2011 counting the bowl wins.

I will put my mouth where my opinion is....lol

Based on all 3 performances i saw i say

1. South Carolina will win 9 games

2. Ole Miss will win 8 games

3. Vandy will win 7 games.

Now if you think that is something to sneeze at(for those programs) and it was "ptiful" football, then you are either a bammer in disguise or maybe you JUST KNOW FOOTBALL BETTER THAN i.....lol War Eagle!

Now if you think that is something to sneeze at(for those programs) and it was "ptiful" football, then you are either a bammer in disguise or maybe you JUST KNOW FOOTBALL BETTER THAN i.....lol War Eagle!

Nobodu said it was pitiful. Quality teams simply don't make the bone headed mistakes both teams made in crunch time. They can grow into quality teams as the season progresses but they are not quality yet. You're a game off on both though. Ole Miss goes 7-5 and Vandy 6-6. If you have already counted bowl games then you may be right.

Nobodu said it was pitiful. Quality teams simply don't make the bone headed mistakes both teams made in crunch time. They can grow into quality teams as the season progresses but they are not quality yet. You're a game off on both though. Ole Miss goes 7-5 and Vandy 6-6. If you have already counted bowl games then you may be right.

I think both teams were incredibly gassed by the end of the game, resulting in "bone headed" mistakes. To me, Vandy is a very disciplined team under Franklin, but I could tell they were getting gassed at the end of both halves. When I saw Scott make that touchdown run, I was shocked, because I knew a fresh Vandy team would have shut that play down. I was expecting him to get tackled the entire time! Everyone was talking about how long the game was, and ultimately I think that's the only reason Ole Miss scored. I hope our HUNH does the same to opponents this year.

It was the 1st game and mistakes like that happen early. Personally, I think its premature to pass judgement on either of these teams based on that game. I dont know if they'll be better than mediocre or not but to assume you do know based on the 1st game of the season is a bit presumptuous IMO>

It was the 1st game and mistakes like that happen early. Personally, I think its premature to pass judgement on either of these teams based on that game. I dont know if they'll be better than mediocre or not but to assume you do know based on the 1st game of the season is a bit presumptuous IMO>

Confucius says; how a team improves from 1wk to the other is the correct way to judge!!

What the Ole Miss/Vandy game did was to show how good the bottom half of the conference is. Regardless of whether Auburn is part of that bottom half (I don't think so, but there seem to be those out there), neither team is legitimately on the verge of having a chance to play for the SEC title. Or, well, that's the way I see it at this point, anyway. We'll see how it plays out, I suppose.

Archived