The Jet Sweep!!!!!

AUenginerd

It will make its presence known again! Maybe with UT's lack of success defending outside runs, we may see Grant's number called again this weekend. It seems like Gus knows the fanbase got burned out on it in 11, and he's just warning the fan base to get ready! WDE!

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2013/11/gus_malzahn_there_will_be_a_ti.html#incart_river

With Grant it's imperative you don't get predictable. There's gotta be a counter-threat to that formation and motion. I loved that we used to give OMac the ball on inside runs from time to time -- he was all the more deadly for that, even though he was most deadly sprinting outside.

I think Gus is holding back a lot of the Offense until we get into situations where we need to be more complex. That hasn't happened since the Ole Miss game where he broke the zone-read out for the first time. We ran the same play 40x against Arky and FAU. Probably wouldn't have thrown much against WC but he wanted to get JJ some experience. I look for the UGA and uat games to be very interesting. Gus does not want to give Grantham or Smart/sabear film to coach from, brand new plays for them to see on the field, live and in person. We (guys I work with) have talked about this very play and the lack of it in our O and I really think Gus is holding back on purpose. I think he ran so much against Bert to show him what traditional american football was, calling only 11 pass plays in the game, wow. Hopefully when Gus opens the book, Marshall and Co are ready to do great things. We should be able to run zone-read/mason/cap down the throats of UT and win so I don't expect to see any great changes in the game plan this week.

I agree that Gus has been holding back on the offensive play selection. I also think that he's been holding back with Grant and CAP in an effort to keep at last 2 healthy backs for UGA and Bama games. I've just been having this feeling that Gus and the Tigers are getting ready to open a king size can of ole fashion butt whoop on someone and I hope that it's UGA or Bama.

With Grant it's imperative you don't get predictable. There's gotta be a counter-threat to that formation and motion. I loved that we used to give OMac the ball on inside runs from time to time -- he was all the more deadly for that, even though he was most deadly sprinting outside.

As much as Omac was a great Auburn player and a very underrated one IMO, even his inside runs usually ended up in him bolting toward the sideline somehow.

I heard that O-Mac actually had a magnet inside of his pads that would pull him to the sideline as he ran

The dude was 165-170 with full gear...wth was he supposed to prove by taking on 225-250 linebackers. He was a speedster..he attacked space - when it was not there he got out, no need to get creamed for nothing - he scored a lot of tds in his AU career and was critical component of the 2010 title run - the threat of his speed on perimeter helped make Cam the threat he was on the zone read.

Read the al.com piece....Gus says he runs what the opposition gives him and my interpretation is that he does not see a need to run any given play, or even pass the ball just to be doing it. ...think the title was that calling plays is not just about opening up the playbook. He was unapologetic about the offensive plan against Arky and did not use NM's health as an excuse....since after all NM was 7/8 and the passes were used often enough to keep Arky on their toes.

Maybe we see the jet sweep against UT or even UGa but I don't think we will see much of it against Bama. JMO

The dude was 165-170 with full gear...wth was he supposed to prove by taking on 225-250 linebackers. He was a speedster..he attacked space - when it was not there he got out, no need to get creamed for nothing - he scored a lot of tds in his AU career and was critical component of the 2010 title run - the threat of his speed on perimeter helped make Cam the threat he was on the zone read.

Some folks just don't get it....but good try.

While being a smaller guy myself who played the 'Wes Welker' inside/slot receiver position in high school, I certainly understand the mindset. That being said, the chains are moved by running north and south, and that was where the issue was, not a failure of him bulldozing linebackers.

Back on the thread topic, let's run some jet sweeps.

While being a smaller guy myself who played the 'Wes Welker' inside/slot receiver position in high school, I certainly understand the mindset. That being said, the chains are moved by running north and south, and that was where the issue was, not a failure of him bulldozing linebackers.

Wait, Are you saying Omac didn't move the chains? Do you know what his YPC average while at AU was? For his career: 406 rushing attempts, 2586 yards, 24 TD's. (Add to that 63 receptions for 628 yards -- almost 10 yards per catch* -- and another 3 TD's,) McCalebb moved some chains, He just moved 'em in the way he was suited for, and what he was suited for is mostly what he was asked to do.

*While I'm at it, guess who AU's career leader in average yards per kickoff return is. Yep. Omac at 27.9 yards a pop.

In all fairness, I think Cam's threat up the middle is what opened up the outside of O-Mac. Not the other way around. You gameplanned to stop Cam, not O-Mac.

That being said, he was one of my favorite RBs. Just because he wasn't a full package RB doesn't mean we didn't like him. Nor does it mean we can't poke fun at his game.

The Bengals obviously don't think high enough of his RB skills to even keep him at that position (to counter his the argument of 'look at his stats')

In all fairness, I think Cam's threat up the middle is what opened up the outside of O-Mac. Not the other way around.

2010 was Omac's best season, 810 yards on 95 attempts, 8.5 average with 9 TDs, but...

2009: 105 carries, 565 yards, 5.4 YPC, 4 TD's

2011: 112 carries, 641 yards, 5.7 YPC, 5 TD's

2012: 94 carries, 570 yards, 6.1 YPC, 6 TDs

Cam made everyone better, but Omac produced both before and after Cam.

ETA...

Remember

from an otherwise dismal season in 2012? Not a jet sweep, but pretty dang north and south with some jets.

I personally don't like the jet sweep, especially to the short side, which is where we tend to go with it. It has proven to be a drive killer, because if he can't turn North-South quickly, you're looking at a 3-yd loss. Sure, the YPG is good, because when it does break, it normally becomes impact yardage. Tomorrow, we do not need to be in 2nd and 13 in a hostile environment. Let's go zone read North and South.

O'Mac remindes me a lot of a player we had in the mid 90s called the "lizzard". I cannot remember his name, but I know he was about 5-7and 150-160 lbs. That kid was fun to watch. He gave a lot of DCs headaches during his gridiron days a Auburn. Little guys with loads of heart can make a difference in the outcome of games.

If OMac had not gone out of bounds, @ 170 lbs he would not have been able to have the career that he did. Nick Marshall @ 210 lbs got a lesson on that one.

O'Mac remindes me a lot of a player we had in the mid 90s called the "lizzard". I cannot remember his name, but I know he was about 5-7and 150-160 lbs. That kid was fun to watch. He gave a lot of DCs headaches during his gridiron days a Auburn. Little guys with loads of heart can make a difference in the outcome of games.

Markeith Cooper, I believe

Hopefully Grant will bust one down the sideline for about 70 yards & score, putting us up by 21. Lord knows I don't need to be chewing on my short fingernails in a nervous rage because we cant run & score on those dang vols. My heart cant take losing to a team we should beat.

If OMac had not gone out of bounds, @ 170 lbs he would not have been able to have the career that he did. Nick Marshall @ 210 lbs got a lesson on that one.

I don't think NM is 210, probably more like 190

I agree that Gus has been holding back on the offensive play selection. I also think that he's been holding back with Grant and CAP in an effort to keep at last 2 healthy backs for UGA and Bama games. I've just been having this feeling that Gus and the Tigers are getting ready to open a king size can of ole fashion butt whoop on someone and I hope that it's UGA and Bama.

FTFY.

even faking the jet is leaving the middle open for Marshall on the keeper, and in last game, they used it to throw swing passes to Grant. They could end up catching the outside defender cheating in on the fake and big up some big yards on a swing pass to the outside.

Archived