Kiss the Orange Goodbye

AURainman

Well, this is it. Auburn can no longer make it's own case for being considered in the Top 2. We are now dependent on USC or OU to stumble. We had a lot going for us this week.

1. Bob Stoops' whining to ESPN made him look weak and worried.

2. National stage set up with the ONLY rivalry game that matters.

3. A chance to blowout a highly touted defense.

4. The noose tightening on the voters to get it right.

5. The power of the underdog.

However, with all of these chances, we lost ground. OU actually GAINED votes, the Iron Bowl was catagorized as a 'style points' game by ESPN, we struggled in the 1st QTR, and the voters don't give a rat's a$$. If the voters weren't impressed with a victory over an inspired Bama team, what says they'll be impressed if we beat UT again? We will have to outlive expectations if we expect to gain ANY ground in two weeks. Considering we already set the bar PRETTY high in a win at Neyland, I don't think we have a snowball's chance in HELL of outliving said expectations.

So, it comes to this. We must root for ND, UCLA (both Loooooong-shots), or IowaSt/Colorado. That's all we can hope for. Otherwise, given a victory in Atlanta, a trip to New Orleans is definitely in our future. The questions then should be, who would we play (ACC champ or at-large?) and will we be able to claim a share of a title?

I think OU bought their spot in the title game back in the preseason when they stole Bowling Green out from under us.

Well, this is it.  Auburn can no longer make it's own case for being considered in the Top 2.  We are now dependent on USC or OU to stumble.  We had a lot going for us this week.

1.  Bob Stoops' whining to ESPN made him look weak and worried.

2.  National stage set up with the ONLY rivalry game that matters.

3.  A chance to blowout a highly touted defense.

4.  The noose tightening on the voters to get it right.

5.  The power of the underdog.

However, with all of these chances, we lost ground.  OU actually GAINED votes, the Iron Bowl was catagorized as a 'style points' game by ESPN, we struggled in the 1st QTR, and the voters don't give a rat's a$$.  If the voters weren't impressed with a victory over an inspired Bama team, what says they'll be impressed if we beat UT again?  We will have to outlive expectations if we expect to gain ANY ground in two weeks.  Considering we already set the bar PRETTY high in a win at Neyland, I don't think we have a snowball's chance in HELL of outliving said expectations.

----------------------------------------

We didn't lose any votes. OK took some votes away from USC. The odds

have been against us all along and nothing has changed. losing to bama will not be what cost us going to the NC if that's the way it works out. All along we had to have USC or OK lose. USC and OK have been 1-2 since the preason polls and that being the case, they almost had to lose to go down. We were ranked 13th or whatever preseason and have gone as high as we can go without OK or USC losing. That's the reason I think they should either go to a playoff on the field or stop doing any polls until after the at least the 3rd game of the season. preseason polls cayy too much influence before teh teams even play as is evident more than ever this year.

Lol ya know whats funny. I am sitting here watching OU/Baylor and all the mess made about Alabama's injuries. Baylor is using their back-up qb, their leading reciever is suspended, and 4 other starters are also suspended for this game.

OU would have been down to Alabama also if they played at T-town like they are atm.

So most likely we go to the Sugar Bowl to play FSU?

125230[/snapback]

Won't be FSU. It'll either be VaTech (if they win the ACC) or BC.

125231[/snapback]

Could be Utah, Sugar Bowl reps were at their game Saturday night.

So most likely we go to the Sugar Bowl to play FSU?

125230[/snapback]

Won't be FSU. It'll either be VaTech (if they win the ACC) or BC.

125231[/snapback]

Could be Utah, Sugar Bowl reps were at their game Saturday night.

125233[/snapback]

Well, that would make for an interesting game at least. I'd enjoy that matchup much more than the others previously listed.

I just got through listening to a segment on Sporting News Radio a few minutes ago and they had their college football analyst, Matt Hayes, on. First ? was who's number 1 this week. He said without a doubt, AU is the best team in the nation and I'm tired of all the crap about who have they played. He said playing UT while OU plays...uh, who cares, will be very impressive for AU and the voters will have to finally take notice that AU is playing tough teams while OU faces cupcakes. He also said emphatically, that anyone who doesn't think a 21-13 win over Alabam was impressive doesn't know what they're talking about.

He said OU fans want to bring up their win over Texas. He said "Give me a break, if Matt Jones hadn't fumbled, a BAD SEC team would have beaten Texas. They say what about A&M. Hayes said, "Yea, and look what Utah did to A&M." He said we can try and compare apples to oranges all day but the bottom line is that AU is the better team and after they play UT, they will be in the Orange Bowl.

Folks, this is being preached by many on a national level. You said USC lost votes to OU? How could that be when USC didn't even play? That's how fickle these voters are. Let us win impressively against UT and let OU play a crappy game and see if we are not put ahead of them. KEEP THE FAITH AND LET'S WIN ONE MORE GAME. Then let the chips fall where they may.

not only would I rather play Okl than VT because of teh national implications, but I am much more scared of losing to VT than Oklahama...Oklahoma looked like crap in the first half of the Baylor game....bama's d is way better than Oklahama...not even close....and the key to stopping Oklahama is solid rush d against adrian peterson and then hit jaso whit a couple tiems and he gets al gimpy since he has a bum leg...LSU made him look like brodie croyle did against auburn last year( not threatening)

I have to admit, bama's D was better than expected, too bad the whole country thinks Bama sucks so bad that a pretty solid victory against bama makes our ranking go down....Has bama ever fallen in the rankings after beating Auburn( I doubt it), I guess the good side of that is that recruits will probably not be too excited about playing for the clearly inferior program in the state

But, they can always count on those stellar walkons ! ! ! :D

not only would I rather play Okl than VT because of teh national implications, but I am much more scared of losing to VT than Oklahama...Oklahoma looked like crap in the first half of the Baylor game....bama's d is way better than Oklahama...not even close....and the key to stopping Oklahama is solid rush d against adrian peterson and then hit jaso whit a couple tiems and he gets al gimpy since he has a bum leg...LSU made him look like brodie croyle did against auburn last year( not threatening)

125241[/snapback]

You watching this Baylor game also? White is struggling with pressure, it was 7-0 at the end of the first. Second half about the 6 minute mark, Alabama DB's pick that and take it house.

I have no question watching this that Oklahoma would be down at halftime to Alabama. OU is having the same start that we had, just that it was Baylor with 6 missing starters.

Well, this is it.  Auburn can no longer make it's own case for being considered in the Top 2.  We are now dependent on USC or OU to stumble.  We had a lot going for us this week.

1.  Bob Stoops' whining to ESPN made him look weak and worried.

2.  National stage set up with the ONLY rivalry game that matters.

3.  A chance to blowout a highly touted defense.

4.  The noose tightening on the voters to get it right.

5.  The power of the underdog.

However, with all of these chances, we lost ground.  OU actually GAINED votes, the Iron Bowl was catagorized as a 'style points' game by ESPN, we struggled in the 1st QTR, and the voters don't give a rat's a$$.  If the voters weren't impressed with a victory over an inspired Bama team, what says they'll be impressed if we beat UT again?  We will have to outlive expectations if we expect to gain ANY ground in two weeks.  Considering we already set the bar PRETTY high in a win at Neyland, I don't think we have a snowball's chance in HELL of outliving said expectations.

Don't you think that USC will lose before Oklahoma?  Ya'll will probably have to play Oklahoma for the championship.

So, it comes to this.  We must root for ND, UCLA (both Loooooong-shots), or IowaSt/Colorado.  That's all we can hope for.  Otherwise, given a victory in Atlanta, a trip to New Orleans is definitely in our future.  The questions then should be, who would we play (ACC champ or at-large?) and will we be able to claim a share of a title?

I think OU bought their spot in the title game back in the preseason when they stole Bowling Green out from under us.

125221[/snapback]

Glad uat ain't my heart. (It is located a bit further SOUTH ! ! !) :D:P

The computer polls tanked us a couple of weeks ago. We're losing votes in the two polls we have to own. We're already talking about a Sugar Bowl. We've already quit, nobody except Tubberville wants to put up a fight. The fans won't hammer the writers and put the heat on all the SEC coaches.

I came to the conclusion today it's over for us. You've got the right to your own conclusion. This is typical Auburn football, we are in reach of the prize and we fold.

The computer polls tanked us a couple of weeks ago.  We're losing votes in the two polls we have to own.  We're already talking about a Sugar Bowl.  We've already quit, nobody except Tubberville wants to put up a fight.  The fans won't hammer the writers and put the heat on all the SEC coaches.

I came to the conclusion today it's over for us.  You've got the right to your own conclusion.  This is typical Auburn football, we are in reach of the prize and we fold.

125330[/snapback]

I beg to differ....the fans haven't put the hammer on the writers? Did you see the thread with the AP writers, and who they voted for #1? Tons and tons of folks have e-mailed certain ap writers who voted OU #1.

Don't make the statement that this is Typical Auburn football...please don't....I hate to hear this :no: .

Even if we were no 1 or 2 in the BCS, what has that got to do with crowning the best team in college football? This whole process is political and a joke. It has nothing to do with the best teams.

I would love to play Texas or Cal. In a nutshell, unless somebody loses other than us, we ain't going to the Orange Bowl. Look at USC last year. I will go to my grave believing that LSU and USC were the top two, but also is just an opinion. We need a playoff in the worst way. Its coming.

The computer polls tanked us a couple of weeks ago.  We're losing votes in the two polls we have to own.  We're already talking about a Sugar Bowl.  We've already quit, nobody except Tubberville wants to put up a fight.  The fans won't hammer the writers and put the heat on all the SEC coaches.

I came to the conclusion today it's over for us.  You've got the right to your own conclusion.  This is typical Auburn football, we are in reach of the prize and we fold.

125330[/snapback]

Hal, it is not us. We have to pick up something like 125+ combined points in the two human polls to overcome the computer polls. The problem is that means almost every single voter has to raise us to number two or even one. That is just not going to happen. Got that from the guy at CollegeBCS.com on PF Show today.

We just are not going to do that. He stated that except a OU/USC loss, there is no hope and was only slim hope before Iron Bowl. Said that we would have had to beat :ua: 41-13 to even have had a shot.

125330[/snapback]

:no:

Folding? That's about the dumbest thing I've heard said in quite a while.

Archived