Observations on FSU

lutzintheredzone

To be honest FSU is much more talented than us, as was Alabama. On paper we should get beat soundly, Vegas also indicates this.

We are a team that plays together and keeps fighting. The layoff hurts us because we were rolling in mo and hitting on all cylinders especially on special teams and offense. The offense was in a rhythm, if we play in rhythm and don't turn the ball over we have a chance.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All this talk about FSU's D being Fast and athletic.......useless against Auburn's run game. You must absolutely play assignment football perfectly for the whole game, to even have a chance to slow it down, much less stop it.

I think Mizzou's HC said it best, "Know how to stop it...I'm the wrong person to ask, because if I could have stopped it I would have."

It's not about being fast, It's not about being athletic, It's about making the correct decision and then playing that decision to perfection. No one has been able to do that, no one will. Especially FSU. That speed will do nothing but add insult to injury when they make the wrong decision. Look at the bama game, All we herd was CJ Mosley is going to dominate our running game. I have watched the game about 20 times now. I heard CJ's name about 5 times, and 2 of those were about how he took himself out of the play and one about him not being mentioned almost all night. Perfect example of Strength, Speed, and Athleticism...useless.

You can't blast through the line and hope to get the ball carrier, because there are 4 on the field at any given time that will run the ball and noone other than Nick knows who that will be. Then on top of that we have options to pass the ball from the same formation. So from the same 3 or 4 formations that Auburn lines up in we can use all our weapons, and the fakes are so good that you can't even follow it on TV. Hell even the camera man is confused, All that speed is good for nothing, and thats what makes it unstoppable.

Defenses are so damn confused, that after a few series they either just start blasting away at the line, We use the zone read to totally dismantel them to it's full advantage when this happens.

Also a note on the speed sweep. Just as with Bama we will run the speed sweep and it may only be successful a couple of times, but it keep the option fresh in the defenses mind, and forces them to cover it, When they don't cover it, we bust one huge run off of the play. So it will be run reguardless of success just to give the D one more thing they can't handle.

With FSU's slow start tendency, and the lack of ability of any team to be able to slow the running attack down, I look for this game to be over in Auburn's favor late in the 3rd. Especially if FSU turns the ball over and we don't. Keep in mind that Alabama only scored 7 pts in the last 33 min's of the game, That Auburn's D tightens up in the second half and even more in the 4th. Keep in mind that FSU has not been challenged all year really, and that they haven't played a full game with their starters. Their special teams aren't special at all. Furthermore their strength is the passing game, which will be rusty after 4 weeks of stagnation, and that is their primary weapon, It may neutralize it's self.

Everyone that thinks FSU really has a chance to beat Auburn in this game really needs to take a breath and find the smelling salts. The only way Auburn loses is if we don't execute, and turn the ball over. Otherwise the game is ours for the taking, we just have to go get it.

I was with you all the way until here. They are way better than TAM. They are better than Georgia and possibly better than Bama (with a far better QB). As you recall, we didn't exactly coast to victory in those games.

Agreed.

All this talk about FSU's D being Fast and athletic.......useless against Auburn's run game. You must absolutely play assignment football perfectly for the whole game, to even have a chance to slow it down, much less stop it.

I think Mizzou's HC said it best, "Know how to stop it...I'm the wrong person to ask, because if I could have stopped it I would have."

It's not about being fast, It's not about being athletic, It's about making the correct decision and then playing that decision to perfection. No one has been able to do that, no one will. Especially FSU. That speed will do nothing but add insult to injury when they make the wrong decision. Look at the bama game, All we herd was CJ Mosley is going to dominate our running game. I have watched the game about 20 times now. I heard CJ's name about 5 times, and 2 of those were about how he took himself out of the play and one about him not being mentioned almost all night. Perfect example of Strength, Speed, and Athleticism...useless.

You can't blast through the line and hope to get the ball carrier, because there are 4 on the field at any given time that will run the ball and noone other than Nick knows who that will be. Then on top of that we have options to pass the ball from the same formation. So from the same 3 or 4 formations that Auburn lines up in we can use all our weapons, and the fakes are so good that you can't even follow it on TV. Hell even the camera man is confused, All that speed is good for nothing, and thats what makes it unstoppable.

Defenses are so damn confused, that after a few series they either just start blasting away at the line, We use the zone read to totally dismantel them to it's full advantage when this happens.

Also a note on the speed sweep. Just as with Bama we will run the speed sweep and it may only be successful a couple of times, but it keep the option fresh in the defenses mind, and forces them to cover it, When they don't cover it, we bust one huge run off of the play. So it will be run reguardless of success just to give the D one more thing they can't handle.

With FSU's slow start tendency, and the lack of ability of any team to be able to slow the running attack down, I look for this game to be over in Auburn's favor late in the 3rd. Especially if FSU turns the ball over and we don't. Keep in mind that Alabama only scored 7 pts in the last 33 min's of the game, That Auburn's D tightens up in the second half and even more in the 4th. Keep in mind that FSU has not been challenged all year really, and that they haven't played a full game with their starters. Their special teams aren't special at all. Furthermore their strength is the passing game, which will be rusty after 4 weeks of stagnation, and that is their primary weapon, It may neutralize it's self.

Everyone that thinks FSU really has a chance to beat Auburn in this game really needs to take a breath and find the smelling salts. The only way Auburn loses is if we don't execute, and turn the ball over. Otherwise the game is ours for the taking, we just have to go get it.

Agree with the assignment focus but my perspective is that even if they achieve this initially the pace will wear them down physically and mentally which then effects them being able to maintain assignments-or should I say not be able to. I do not believe this game will be a cake walk for us but if we play great red zone defense (no points or consistently hold to field goals) and we are great offensively with the ball (touchdowns on red zone trips and no turnovers) we will prevail in the end.

Well IMO the 2010 Oregon team > this FSU team

I also think Darron Thomas was a better Qb than Winston

Both statements are false, IMO

Even if true, how many yards did Oregon pass for?

Outside of one long play off the goal line...not that much really. I don't recall the exact number but it wasn't as much as this Auburn team gives up to almost every team they play.

Those are...opinions. Neither can be tested.

On Oregon 2010 vs. FSU 2013, you may have an argument. Maybe.But no way to test it, so it's just down to personal opinion. (Me? Dang if I really know, Would be interesting if we had a time machine and could watch the two play.)

On Thomas vs. Winston, I think that's an unanswerable question. Entirely different offensive systems. It may well be that Thomas is the best QB of the two in the system that Oregon runs and that Winston is the best QB of the two in the system FSU runs.

As far as which is the best QB in terms of a pro-style passing attack? Winston, hands down. I expect Winston, if he stays out of trouble and doesn't get hurt, will play QB on Sundays in a few years. Thomas? He declared for the draft a year early, went undrafted, did not get an undrafted free agent offer for the NFL, was signed to a practice squad for a CFL team for a few months, then went to a league I've never heard of and, last I was aware, is currently on an Arena Football League roster.

To be honest FSU is much more talented than us, as was Alabama. On paper we should get beat soundly, Vegas also indicates this.

We are a team that plays together and keeps fighting. The layoff hurts us because we were rolling in mo and hitting on all cylinders especially on special teams and offense. The offense was in a rhythm, if we play in rhythm and don't turn the ball over we have a chance.

I keep hearing that but show me one team we played that had a better O-Line there are none. Our run game works because our O-line dominates the D-line and also gets to the Linebackers. Show me a team that has better downfield blocking receivers that is a skill set just like catching the ball. Show me a team that has as many quality D-Linemen then Auburn. Show me a team with a better blocking FB then Prosch, Show me a team with better RB's then Auburn. Show me a team with better special team players then Auburn. I am tired of hearing that other teams have more talent then Auburn. If you say they have more talent at certain positions like Linebacker I will agree with you.

It took this years coaches to get our talent to show up but we are very talented. That is one of the reasons we will beat FSU they have not played a team this year that is on par with them on a talent level they have relied on talent alone that won't work against Auburn.

I just don't get the logic of because other teams suck they suck. If we played their schedule we would have beat the teams just like they did.....probably around the same score margin and everything. I'm not saying we can't or won't beat them but saying they suck because Miami suck doesn't make sense to me

I just don't get the logic of because other teams suck they suck. If we played their schedule we would have beat the teams just like they did.....probably around the same score margin and everything. I'm not saying we can't or won't beat them but saying they suck because Miami suck doesn't make sense to me

I believe the main argument is their team hasn't been tested by good competition so their stats are inflated as such. Hard to determine how good a team is against garbage teams....see Ohio State

Yeah but Clemson wasn't garbage. And like I said I knew after we played arky we had taken it another level. Then after we played Tenn I literally had no doubt we would be able to run on uga and Alabama. Actually it's why I know we'll be able to run on them as well. You can look and tell a good team. Fsu front 7 is pretty good. I'd put them about like uga level when healthy. Their secondary is the best we have played this year though. Period. Joyner and Darby are both high draft picks.

Yeah but Clemson wasn't garbage. And like I said I knew after we played arky we had taken it another level. Then after we played Tenn I literally had no doubt we would be able to run on uga and Alabama. Actually it's why I know we'll be able to run on them as well. You can look and tell a good team. Fsu front 7 is pretty good. I'd put them about like uga level when healthy. Their secondary is the best we have played this year though. Period. Joyner and Darby are both high draft picks.

ok...so they played one decent team. The consensus point is they haven't been tested. ....period. I believe they're a good team. I don't..however. .believe they are good enough to survive 4qtrs with Auburn. Winston WILL be. pressured ......a lot. He WILL make some mistakes. ..mark it down. If we get our tempo going they will not be able to hang with us. That's my opinion on it.

Clemson was putting up 50 against most opponents and then...ooops...FSU...then they were back to normal until ...ooops...South Carolina. Other than almost a fluke win over UGa at the start of the season, Clemson lost to the only two other good teams they played.

ACC just hard to evaluate ...and I think OSU is more than good enough to keep the ACC losing streak alive. Not sure how much the FSU win over Clemson means...Taj started off with mistakes, several turnovers ...and then Clemson just laid down.

Clemson was putting up 50 against most opponents and then...ooops...FSU...then they were back to normal until ...ooops...South Carolina. Other than almost a fluke win over UGa at the start of the season, Clemson lost to the only two other good teams they played.

ACC just hard to evaluate ...and I think OSU is more than good enough to keep the ACC losing streak alive. Not sure how much the FSU win over Clemson means...Taj started off with mistakes, several turnovers ...and then Clemson just laid down.

Exactly. ..no way to legitimately evaluate FSU based on the ACC....period.

Outside of one long play off the goal line...not that much really. I don't recall the exact number but it wasn't as much as this Auburn team gives up to almost every team they play.

Wrong. 374 yards.

I wouldn't be surprised to see FSU's LBs to play on the line of scrimmage like Mizzou did for a few plays. It seemed to throw off the rhythm of the offense for a second, but for whatever reason Mizzou went away from it.

Of course, Clemson was playing most of all the same teams as FSU, so hard know. I think the ACC is vastly overrated and I feel like FSU is being propped up way too much. Not saying they aren't a good team, but maybe not all that and a bag of chips that some folks want to make them out to be. There is reason there were only what 2, maybe 3 in top 25???

Don't forget about Brooks at FS. He is listed as the #2 FS in the draft behind "Haha" Dix. Joyner, Brooks, Darby, Ramsey all have the chance to go first or second rounds either this year or in years to come. Ramsey is FSU's first corner to start as a true freshmen since Deon Sanders. Jimbo says he is that good.

Here is Ramsey during the Wake Forest game. FSU scored like 3 TD's off turnovers in the first quarter.

Don't forget about Brooks at FS. He is listed as the #2 FS in the draft behind "Haha" Dix. Joyner, Brooks, Darby, Ramsey all have the chance to go first or second rounds either this year or in years to come. Ramsey is FSU's first corner to start as a true freshmen since Deon Sanders. Jimbo says he is that good.

Here is Ramsey during the Wake Forest game. FSU scored like 3 TD's off turnovers in the first quarter.

One thing I have noticed is that the FSU DBs are hard hitters....they lay the lumber to pass receivers and our guys better have glue on their hands when they get into the FSU defensive backfield....they generate a fair number of turnovers...and that's been a problem area for AU.

One thing I have noticed is that the FSU DBs are hard hitters....they lay the lumber to pass receivers and our guys better have glue on their hands when they get into the FSU defensive backfield....they generate a fair number of turnovers...and that's been a problem area for AU.

Wake Forest is piss poor. BUT their QB threw 4 passes in the first quarter. 3 of those 4 were INT's. They put their backup in. On his first play, the RB fumbles it and Ramsey takes it in for a score.

LOL. Doesn't get that much worse for a team.

It's not just Wake...FSU has something like 17 more takeaways than giveaways....next to the top in the nation.

I fully expect both FSU's defense and offense to be gassed in the fourth quarter.

People seem to forget, Gus Malzahn has had a month to watch film and scheme against the FSU defense as well.....Advantage Auburn. Gonna be fun to see what he has come up with and the new wrinkles we may see. I expect to see a lot of hands on hips starting late in the second quarter for the FSU defense.

Archived