Auburn gains momentum in the media

stealthyfan

After the Iron Bowl common terms used were F L U K E, L U C K, L U C K Y, G I M M I C K et al.

Talking heads (your choice - but all of them did it) mimicked the flavor of the day. "Hey great story, 3-9 to 12-1, but they are not talented, they have no quarterback, they are one dimensional, they use trick plays, they are a team of destiny.

Vegas has Auburn as an overwhelming underdog.

But this week, these notions started to hedge themselves a bit.

This one dimensional team is that way because they don't need to pass. Davis's return was a strategic plan. Auburn has a defense that is really good when needed, and more heads are picking Auburn to (gasp) win the championship.

Sheesh.

Talking heads making those derogatory comments only saw highlight reel clips from Auburn games. The ones that study the game are the only commentators that have an opinion worth a damn. The rest is just noise.

A good coach, at some point when the situation needs motivation, knows when to pull the the pin on that grenade called team. And Gus and the coaches on down are a great coaching staff. And so, Monday, this team will be reminded, on this national stage they can show everyone who they really are. No flukes, no luck - go and earn it. FSU has operated at a high level all year. They've earned their spot. I take nothing away from them on that count. But this team reminds me of the Saturn 5 - a couple million pounds of fuel, talent and shear brute and some darn fool threw a match under it. The point - we all know - is Auburn has improved every single week. More than a month off - I think Gus & Auburn benefit FAR more. FSU is already hitting on all cylinders, I don't think we've yet to see AU's ceiling. And we're learning. Take Georgia - we get out ahead and soften defense. I wouldn't be surprised at all, if we get ahead a few, if CEJ doesn't go and let Spike off the chain. I could type a lot more, but I think you can sense how I feel about it.

Win or lose, It's Great to Be an Auburn Tiger

Recent paeans to coach Malzahn

this Mr. Carter (on another site) gets it:

“Perhaps Malzahn’s greatest trait as a coach is his attention to detail. He has always been a compulsive note-taker, making sure to capture thoughts or concepts on paper so that he wouldn't overlook them at a later time. His mental process carries over to his daily routine as a coach because he emphasizes execution and preparation to his assistants and players.

The staff he has put together at Auburn were assistant coaches who share his attention to detail. Having talent is a necessity for success, but making the most of it is critical. Malzahn’s attention to the finer points of the game is a big part of his overall plan to obtain the most out of his personnel, which is why the 2013 Auburn Tigers have been so successful.”

http://auburn.scout.com/2/1361752.html

and Mr. Valkenburg says

“There is a Southern colloquialism that frequently sneaks its way into Gus Malzahn's sentences, whether he's describing his own emotions or those of one of his players. To be obsessed with something isn't to be consumed by it. In Malzahn's world, you are instead eat up with it. As a young boy growing up in Fort Smith, Ark., Mazlahn wasn't just captivated by sports. He was eat up with 'em.”

http://m.espn.go.com...src=desktop

ETA: Shoot - Both articles already posted elsewhere

Recent paeans to coach Malzahn

this Mr. Carter (on another site) gets it:

“Perhaps Malzahn’s greatest trait as a coach is his attention to detail. He has always been a compulsive note-taker, making sure to capture thoughts or concepts on paper so that he wouldn't overlook them at a later time. His mental process carries over to his daily routine as a coach because he emphasizes execution and preparation to his assistants and players.

The staff he has put together at Auburn were assistant coaches who share his attention to detail. Having talent is a necessity for success, but making the most of it is critical. Malzahn’s attention to the finer points of the game is a big part of his overall plan to obtain the most out of his personnel, which is why the 2013 Auburn Tigers have been so successful.”

http://auburn.scout.com/2/1361752.html

and Mr. Valkenburg says

“There is a Southern colloquialism that frequently sneaks its way into Gus Malzahn's sentences, whether he's describing his own emotions or those of one of his players. To be obsessed with something isn't to be consumed by it. In Malzahn's world, you are instead eat up with it. As a young boy growing up in Fort Smith, Ark., Mazlahn wasn't just captivated by sports. He was eat up with 'em.”

http://m.espn.go.com...src=desktop

ETA: Shoot - Both articles already posted elsewhere

Thanks for that. First time I've seen those articles.

Just heard Jesse Palmer. He was gushing over FSU and sort of dismissing AU. OK no big shock there. The funny part was him talking about Pruett and how he was able, while st Bama to stop Gus. Funny how I don't' recall that.

Just heard Jesse Palmer. He was gushing over FSU and sort of dismissing AU. OK no big shock there. The funny part was him talking about Pruett and how he was able, while st Bama to stop Gus. Funny how I don't' recall that.

I was listening to the same clip of clip-on driving home from work. I'm not normally one to argue with the radio, but I might have let out an involuntary "bull----" when he said that last part.

Same old media, during tonight's Missou/Ok State game, a graphic was on the screen showing the final Heisman vote with all invitees except....Tre. wtf

I love how everyone on ESPN keeps throwing out FSU's tall receivers and how we can't stop them. I remember hearing that all season, LSU's WR group didn't hurt us, Jeremy Hill did. In the SEC title game, Mizzu's starting WR duo is 6'6 and 6'5. I'm not worried.

I love how everyone on ESPN keeps throwing out FSU's tall receivers and how we can't stop them. I remember hearing that all season, LSU's WR group didn't hurt us, Jeremy Hill did. In the SEC title game, Mizzu's starting WR duo is 6'6 and 6'5. I'm not worried.

And our covers out jumped them by a wide margin! Athleticism trumps height.

Archived