2014 3* FB Daniel Gresham (SMU signee)

VegasEagle

I doubt we take him, Kamryn Pettway is the #1 fullback

He may end up there but Pettway is not recruited by us as a FB.

That 4.73 40-time doesn't help. I understand a FB isn't expected to run 40 yards necessarily, but the 4.73 probably also reflects his quickness, i.e. ability to get off the ball onto his block.

With all due respect this is incorrect. The first 10 yards of the 40 yard dash measures those things but those times are not posted on websites.

That 4.73 40-time doesn't help. I understand a FB isn't expected to run 40 yards necessarily, but the 4.73 probably also reflects his quickness, i.e. ability to get off the ball onto his block.

With all due respect this is incorrect. The first 10 yards of the 40 yard dash measures those things but those times are not posted on websites.

E is 100% correct. Going to all of the camps/combines with my Sons, a lot of coaches are saying that the 40 yard dash times are not as big of a deal as they use to be. Had quite a few tell us they look at broad jump, vertical, L-drill , and short shuttle more. Main reason being that it is very rare for players to run 40yards in a straight line during a game. Now as far as this kid goes, how does he do in passing situations? Would he be a threat out of the back field as a receiver?

With all due respect back to you, :poke: Isn't the first 10 yards also included in the 40 time?

With all due respect back to you, :poke: Isn't the first 10 yards also included in the 40 time?

Yes but there are many, many players who have a fast 10 but a slow 40 and vice versa. For example, While Tre will not have the fastest 40 time for RBs at the combine I do think he will do very well in the first 10 yards which will be discussed heavily on the NFL Network's combine coverage.

With all due respect back to you, :poke:/> Isn't the first 10 yards also included in the 40 time?

Moving further off topic:

Speed is the ability to move the body in one intended direction as fast as possible. Quickness (reaction time) refers to the ability to react and change body position with maximum rate of force production, in all planes of motion and from all body positions.

Depending on current Texas running back commitments I would think they would get first shot if they wanted this player.

Yes, but not everyone runs a linear 40-time. Some guys have better initial explosion/acceleration than they do long speed, thus their 40-time may look average while they could actually possess above-average 10-yard splits. NFL Scouts and Coaches put a lot of stock in 10-yard splits, more-so than 40-yard splits in certain situations.

Either way, your analysis on his 40-time having impact on his ability to play FB is blatantly wrong. It doesn't matter at all.

Between parks, Payne, barber and pettway I am sure we can have the fb position covered when we are in a formation requiring it...just don't expect to see it as much because jay was the reason we used that formation so much

With all due respect back to you, :poke:/> Isn't the first 10 yards also included in the 40 time?

Moving further off topic:

Speed is the ability to move the body in one intended direction as fast as possible. Quickness (reaction time) refers to the ability to react and change body position with maximum rate of force production, in all planes of motion and from all body positions.

Depending on current Texas running back commitments I would think they would get first shot if they wanted this player.

Texas' fullback this year was I believe a junior. I should know this because he is my buddy's son, but all these years run together. Now if he played at AU I could tell you exactly how many years he had left. Because I like every other one of you knuckle heads am AUbseesed with our program. By the way Alex (UT's fullback) was recruited as a LB, but they switched him over to the offensive side of the ball. Enough of the name dropping. Back on topic, I'm sure this guy will follow CS to UT.

Archived