***2017 4* JUCO QB Jarrett Stidham Signs with AU!!! (12/14/16)

Elephant Tipper

as long as we get a great qb coach I can live with Herb calling the plays. him and Twill have pulled their weight more than anyone else on the staff in recruiting and on the field this season imo.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mikey said:

So, you are unhappy with the way Herb Hand developed the offensive line this season?

How can you read that into that post, Mike? My response was to the prospect of Hand being named OC. Nowhere is there mention of his development of the oline.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SumterAubie said:

How can you read that into that post, Mike? My response was to the prospect of Hand being named OC. Nowhere is there mention of his development of the oline.

No offense to him at all. He occasionally makes inferences from posts that are not in the posts. Sometimes I think it's his inner LB just wanting to stir things up.

CHH could be a good OC but just as being a good recruiter does not necessarily mean he will be a good OC the same holds for developing the OL. The 2 statements don't reach the conclusion of a good OC by necessity.

8 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

Then, if you are pleased with the way Hand has developed the O-line, what is your objection to him becoming the OC? People that demonstrate the ability to do a good job are normally rewarded with a promotion. Why should Hand not be promoted?

On Thursday, November 17, 2016 at 5:57 PM, tinman said:

Not sure about the powers that be, but 8 & 4 ain't gonna cut it much longer.  ESPECIALLY losing to GA & UA EVERY year.  Gus will get cut some slack this year, but next year he MUST beat one of the two rivals.  If he doesn't, he's gone.  And I don't care of he's 10 & 2.

I'm not knocking what you said but it seems like this was the sentiment during this past off season. And he got a contract extension/pay raise before the season started! I'm not going to fret too much over 10-2 and beating UGA but that mess  of a scheme he runs is getting old and hard to watch.

I personally hope RL moves on only to succeed. I think he has definitely ben a scapegoat and if the next OC comes in and the same thing happens, it should become obvious.  I've defended Gus since he got here but I've had a belly full of his 5 plays this year with the occasional surprise sprinkled in every now and then.

I know others have said it but we have shined against lesser competition but fall short against good competition.

Oh yeah, Happy Thanksgiving.  War Eagle. 

On November 23, 2016 at 9:33 PM, ellitor said:

He always throws haymakers. They usually either miss or are hitting a beaten horse.

Yea. Lashlee has been one of the main reasons we have Joey Gatewood committed. No telling what will happen with Gatewood and I wish we was graduating this year......but give Lashlee a bit of a break. Not you E, but some others and I won't name names here.

Edited by JFDTiger80

18 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Yea. Lashlee has been one of the main reasons we have Joey Gatewood committed. No telling what will happen with Gatewood and I wish we was graduating this year......but give Lashlee a bit of a break. Not you E, but some others and I won't name names here.

I will give him a break if he gets stidham deal?

Interesting to see if anything happens to Sumlin and if that affects Stidham. Kind of doubt TAMU cans Sumlin this year but they have to be tired of the late season swoon every year. LSU spanked that a-- last night, with several key players not playing

14 minutes ago, fredst said:

Interesting to see if anything happens to Sumlin and if that affects Stidham. Kind of doubt TAMU cans Sumlin this year but they have to be tired of the late season swoon every year. LSU spanked that a-- last night, with several key players not playing

This is just me guessing but if Herman goes to LSU don't be surprised if he tries to get Kendal Briles then if so, they make a strong push for Stidham.

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

This is just me guessing but if Herman goes to LSU don't be surprised if he tries to get Kendal Briles then if so, they make a strong push for Stidham.

Ouch...

Clicked on the thread to read the latest on Stidham. Instead I get a Herb Hand, Rhett Lashlee and even Joey Gatewood discussion lol.

50/50 or is A&M perceived to be a heavy favorite for Stidham?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TigerWar said:

Clicked on the thread to read the latest on Stidham. Instead I get a Herb Hand, Rhett Lashlee and even Joey Gatewood discussion lol.

50/50 or is A&M perceived to be a heavy favorite for Stidham?

Not looking good at the moment

I haven't read the whole thread (lord, so many rabbit holes)

How is Stidham possible at aTm if they have Knight, Mond, and the very public recent history of late season collapses plus quarterback dumpster fires? Isn't Auburn obviously 1 QB away from being arrived?

39 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

How is Stidham possible at aTm if they have Knight, Mond, and the very public recent history of late season collapses plus quarterback dumpster fires? Isn't Auburn obviously 1 QB away from being arrived?

Knight is a senior, I believe.  Mond is a true freshman.

There's been a lot of discussion about TA&M making a promise to Mond's family they wouldn't pursue another QB in this class.  I don't know if anyone outside of the staff and family (media, other recruits, etc) knows what was actually said, but I wonder if they promised they wouldn't go after another HS prospect or any prospect at all.  Plus---and I might have this all mixed up---Mond committed to Baylor while Stidham was there.  At any rate, for a while it looked like our best shot at Stidham hinged on us hiring a Briles, and given the shadow cast over both of them that seems unlikely.

Agree about the QB situation.

WDE!

Edited by MadtownTiger

57 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

This is Knight's only year at aTm. Mond will be a True Froshto which  JS will have the inside track on beating for QB1. Lastly battling the aTm network for their in state recruits is like battling the REC for in state recruits here.

I don't know we are 1 QB away next year with Dudes on D like Carl & Monty being gone. We have talent on the DL but they have to continue to develop.

24 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

Knight is a senior, I believe.  Mond is a true freshman.

There's been a lot of discussion about TA&M making a promise to Mond's family they wouldn't pursue another QB in this class.  I don't know if anyone outside of the staff and family (media, other recruits, etc) knows what was actually said, but I wonder if they promised they wouldn't go after another HS prospect or any prospect at all.  Plus---and I might have this all mixed up---Mond committed to Baylor while Stidham was there.  At any rate, for a while it looked like our best shot at Stidham hinged on us hiring a Briles, and given the shadow cast over both of them that seems unlikely.

Agree about the QB situation.

WDE!

At 1 time aTm staff told the Mond family they would not go after Stidham specifically per aTm 247 recruiting reporters. That appears ro have changed.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2016 at 7:27 AM, Mikey said:

Then, if you are pleased with the way Hand has developed the O-line, what is your objection to him becoming the OC? People that demonstrate the ability to do a good job are normally rewarded with a promotion. Why should Hand not be promoted?

Has Hand had any experience as an OC? Or any play calling experience?

If I recall correctly, Hugh Nall was a good oline coach.

3 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Knight is a Senior, Mond is a true freshman (ie: Mond isn't beating Stidham for the starting job LOL).  A&M's offense is much more desirable to a QB like Stidham than ours is.  Their late season "collapses" and QB dumpster fires are a non-concern; ie: why would Stidham care that Kyler Murray left because he was a headcase who got butthurt that he wasn't handed the starting job? 

3 minutes ago, metafour said:

Knight is a Senior, Mond is a true freshman (ie: Mond isn't beating Stidham for the starting job LOL).  A&M's offense is much more desirable to a QB like Stidham than ours is.  Their late season "collapses" and QB dumpster fires are a non-concern; ie: why would Stidham care that Kyler Murray left because he was a headcase who got butthurt that he wasn't handed the starting job? 

It just comes down to Sumlin is flat out a much better recruiter for Qbs than Gus and rhett. He continues to whoop their behind in that area. Now hanging on to those 5 star qbs has proven to be his biggest flaw.....

9 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

It just comes down to Sumlin is flat out a much better recruiter for Qbs than Gus and rhett. He continues to whoop their behind in that area. Now hanging on to those 5 star qbs has proven to be his biggest flaw.....

It's possible this is true but it's hard to know given Sumlin has the full weight of the aTm network behind him with Texas recruits he wants.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Its the offense, it really has little to do with "recruiting".  When you run an offense like the one Malzahn has clearly been shown to favor, then you have to live with the fact that your QB recruiting base is more or less limited to guys like Woody Barrett/Nick Marshall/etc...ie: run-first QBs with passing question marks whom you are hopeful can learn to pass.  A more traditional QB like Stidham obviously isn't going to prefer to come play in this offense.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, metafour said:

Its the offense, it really has little to do with "recruiting".  When you run an offense like the one Malzahn has clearly been shown to favor, then you have to live with the fact that your QB recruiting base is more or less limited to guys like Woody Barrett/Nick Marshall/etc...ie: run-first QBs with passing question marks whom you are hopeful can learn to pass.  A more traditional QB like Stidham obviously isn't going to prefer to come play in this offense.

He also did not take full advantage of the biggest recruiting boon to happen in modern college football which is being able to say you were Cams OC.  Then he did not take advantage of the 2 really good to great years of Nick. He got a bunch of qbs who do not fit his system in JJ, Sean and tyler Queen. Woody is the first one who resembles a Gus type of qb that he has been successful with.

• Like 1

If he's unconcerned with A&M's inability to finish a season or keep a QB upright (Kyle Allen and Trevor Knight both took a beating in that offense), I'm not sure why Stidham would really be more concerned about whether Auburn would tailor to his skill set. Both are pretty legitimate concerns. I think this is far more about being in Texas and having a clear path to a starting job than anything else.

We can say, "he's not concerned about Sean White" all we want, but Sean is a much clearer obstacle than any QB at A&M. Frankly, so is John Franklin or Woody Barrett. Redshirt Freshman Nick Starkel (a low-tier 2016 QB that redshirted this year) is the only scholarship QB on the roster after Knight and Hubenak graduate. It would be silly to pretend like that massive hole in the roster is a non-factor or even a limited factor in Stidham's decision. Compete with a Junior QB with two years starting and the best QBR in the SEC oooooor compete against basically no one? It's a pretty easy selling point.

9 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

If he's unconcerned with A&M's inability to finish a season or keep a QB upright (Kyle Allen and Trevor Knight both took a beating in that offense), I'm not sure why Stidham would really be more concerned about whether Auburn would tailor to his skill set. Both are pretty legitimate concerns. I think this is far more about being in Texas and having a clear path to a starting job than anything else.

Our own pass-first QB has suffered season-derailing injuries in each of the last two seasons, so I'm not sure what relevance A&M's "inability to keep a QB upright" has in this discussion.  If anything, chances are very high that Gus would attempt to exploit Stidham's running ability, which would obviously open him up to potential injury.