2015 3* QB Chason Virgil (Fresno State signee)

ellitor

Bump. Any idea why 247 has him as a pro style QB, clearly a dual threat QB. His commitment date is May 20th, where do we sit with him right now?

No clue. You have to ask them.

ok, you offer a kid a scholarship but he is not allowed to commit to it? recieve clearance from the head coach? shouldnt the person who offers him have already cleared this with the head coach, or be the hc himself.

The recruit has most of the power in the relationship. A school with room for one quarterback in their signing class can not offer one quarterback and then hope that said quarterback ultimately chooses you 6 months down the line when that same player is entertaining a dozen+ other schools who are interested in him. That is simply not realistic. Instead, a bunch of preliminary "offers" are sent out which more or less imply that the coaching staff is very interested in you. Some kids that receive these offers are immediate takes for the school (ie: a commit-able offer), others are going to need to show more before the school will officially agree to accept their "commitment". That is why I said that the HC must clear all "Commitments" before they become official. The kid with an "offer" will call the staff and tell them he wants to commit, at which point the HC will either accept the commitment or put it on the back-burner.

Technically speaking, the only time a recruit has a REAL scholarship offer is when a Letter of Intent or Financial Aid Agreement (the new "thing" you're seeing this year) is presented to them. Anything prior to that point is just informal "word of bond" posturing. No different than how a recruit can "Commit" to a school but then freely choose to sign with whomever he pleases on Signing Day.

Just a question - Rodney Garner has specifically said that every offer Auburn makes is a commitable offer, period. He said we do NOT play games with offers that are not committable like other schools do. I'm not sure how to square those comments with this discussion. Here are his comments:

“A lot of programs will just put out a lot of offers, but they are not committable offers,” Garner says. “They feel like they have to do it to get in the game. Then they rescind so many offers. That tends to raise some questions about what kind of program you are running.

“That’s the thing with Coach Malzahn. When we extend an offer, it’s a committable offer. Some people ask why we are late on some kids. It’s because when we extend an offer, we want to be ready to take that commitment.”

Just a question - Rodney Garner has specifically said that every offer Auburn makes is a commitable offer, period. He said we do NOT play games with offers that are not committable like other schools do. I'm not sure how to square those comments with this discussion. Here are his comments:

“A lot of programs will just put out a lot of offers, but they are not committable offers,” Garner says. “They feel like they have to do it to get in the game. Then they rescind so many offers. That tends to raise some questions about what kind of program you are running.

“That’s the thing with Coach Malzahn. When we extend an offer, it’s a committable offer. Some people ask why we are late on some kids. It’s because when we extend an offer, we want to be ready to take that commitment.”

You square them up by understanding kids hear what they want to hear. For most of them they are probably told yes you have an AU offer IF you meet this list of stpulations we have for you. They here the offer part of that talk and want to report it to the recruiting services. Remember the kids are reporting these offers not the coaches. As of now there are 151 AU offers reported by recruits in the 2015 class. Of those only about 40 to 45 of those are commitable as things stand now without stipulations.

You square them up by understanding kids hear what they want to hear. For most of them they are probably told yes you have an AU offer IF you meet this list of stpulations we have for you. They here the offer part of that talk and want to report it to the recruiting services. Remember the kids are reporting these offers not the coaches. As of now there are 151 AU offers reported by recruits. Of those only about 40 to 45 of those are commitable as things stand now without stipulations.

I'm kinda new to the recruiting world, so maybe you can explain how we can have 40+ commitable offers when we can't sign more than 25 per year. I know you have to offer more than you can take because you're not going to get every one. Is it first come, first served? If we had 25 of those 40 commit, we would have to rescind the rest of the offers, would we not? Since the commitments are verbal and nonbinding, what does the staff do about late flips? Sounds like a juggling act to me.

I'm kinda new to the recruiting world, so maybe you can explain how we can have 40+ commitable offers when we can't sign more than 25 per year. I know you have to offer more than you can take because you're not going to get every one. Is it first come, first served? If we had 25 of those 40 commit, we would have to rescind the rest of the offers, would we not? Since the commitments are verbal and nonbinding, what does the staff do about late flips? Sounds like a juggling act to me.

40-45 guys likely have commitable offers right now individually, not collectively. As more commits come on board some of those guys who have their commitable offer will have it taken away. Still other will always have commitable offers but will not seriously entertain going to AU in the end so they really won't matter. At some spots and situations yes it would be a first come first serve thing. Even if offers are resended as spot get taken most recruits don't report rescended offers.

You square them up by understanding kids hear what they want to hear. For most of them they are probably told yes you have an AU offer IF you meet this list of stpulations we have for you. They here the offer part of that talk and want to report it to the recruiting services. Remember the kids are reporting these offers not the coaches. As of now there are 151 AU offers reported by recruits in the 2015 class. Of those only about 40 to 45 of those are commitable as things stand now without stipulations.

Thank you ellitor, this makes perfect sense. I guess there is no harm in recruits doing this and it might help them get a foot in the door somewhere else.

Thank you ellitor, this makes perfect sense. I guess there is no harm in recruits doing this and it might help them get a foot in the door somewhere else.

It does. If your a relative unknown and you can report an offer from schools like AU even if it has stipulations to you then other schools will check you out and the recruiting service will be more proactive on getting film to evaluate you and rank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add to this, MS ST is having a very good recruiting year. They are Top,10 right now. That does not happen at MS ST very often.

Archived