2015 4* S Jordan Colbert commits to AU!

EagleDamnWar

Kids say lots of things. Watch what he does, not what he says. Also, his family loves us and the staff. It isn't over by any means but I think some folks are reading leghumper boards too much.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kids say lots of things. Watch what he does, not what he says. Also, his family loves us and the staff. It isn't over by any means but I think some folks are reading leghumper boards too much.

I agree, not over, but not ready to commit either. People were putting him on commit watch a few days ago. I doubt he is ready to commit now.

He's been on commit watch for months...

Right, but he just got his offer from UGA last week. Now he is thinking about things.

See, this is the difference when recruits say they grew up fans of a certain school...

When kids like TJY, Sean Hamilton, R. Evans, and now Daron Payne say they grew up Auburn fans, one would expect that if they got an AU offer, they'd jump on it. That's why I believe none of them were/are really Auburn fans...

Jordan Colbert on the other hand... Grew up a huge UGA fan. He dreamed of getting an offer, and now that he has... he'll most likely end up there. Good for him, for staying true to himself.

This^^

Maybe, but honestly I don't feel any ill will towards those players that grow up bigs fans of Auburn and ultimately go somewhere else, even Bama. We can mock the idea of making a "business decision" all we want, but sometimes players are just better fits at schools they don't grow up rooting for. Other times they just end up falling in love with another school that isn't Auburn, and that's okay. After all, it works both ways; don't forget that Kerryon Johnson grew up a big FSU fan and now he's all AU.

Auburn is NOT Fsu's biggest in state rival either. Kwon Alexander was a bama fan growing up, he wanted to play there, but it was too many lbackers already there. Guess who needed and wanted Alexander to come play linebacker at its university? Yep, AU. But, his hometown family told him anywhere but Auburn, and the rest is history. That's the type of fan I'm talking about, he went to LSU. But now we got some so called AU fans growing up wanting to go to bama, I say bologney!! That's not possible, only way it is possible are only if the other school wants that person and the boyhood school of choice doesn't.

I mean, sure. There are obviously some out there, for whom the depths of their fanhood for their boyhood team won't allow them to ever consider playing for that team's rival. But do you really think that that's a good thing? Take your example of Kwon Alexander; would he have benefitted more from coming to AU than going to LSU? It's quite possible that he could have, and it's quite possible that you are right about why he chose to not come here. But if that's the case then I'm not sure that something to necessarily be applauded. I'm not going to argue that Bama was a better fit for Yeldon or Evans or anyone else, but if they thought that it gave them the best chance to succeed then god bless. I won't say that I approve of how those decisions were handled necessarily, but I can't hate them for the decision itself either. They didn't owe me anything, and even if they grew up as big of Auburn fans as they claimed they didn't owe the school anything either. I'm not glad that they picked the school that they did, but I think it's a good thing that they picked a school for a reason other than just that they grew up rooting for it. And I hope that Mr Colbert makes a similar decision.

See, this is the difference when recruits say they grew up fans of a certain school...

When kids like TJY, Sean Hamilton, R. Evans, and now Daron Payne say they grew up Auburn fans, one would expect that if they got an AU offer, they'd jump on it. That's why I believe none of them were/are really Auburn fans...

Jordan Colbert on the other hand... Grew up a huge UGA fan. He dreamed of getting an offer, and now that he has... he'll most likely end up there. Good for him, for staying true to himself.

This^^

Maybe, but honestly I don't feel any ill will towards those players that grow up bigs fans of Auburn and ultimately go somewhere else, even Bama. We can mock the idea of making a "business decision" all we want, but sometimes players are just better fits at schools they don't grow up rooting for. Other times they just end up falling in love with another school that isn't Auburn, and that's okay. After all, it works both ways; don't forget that Kerryon Johnson grew up a big FSU fan and now he's all AU.

What are the reasons an 8 or 9 year old kid has for picking a favorite team? Most likely you like one of the players on the team. Or maybe you like the team colors, the mascot, or a pretty cheerleader. Maybe your best friend likes them, or your arch-enemy likes their rival. Whatever the reason, it's hardly a mature, well-reasoned process. When it comes to making a decision that's going to affect the rest of your life, one would hope you put a little more thought into it, and are not easily swayed by the emotions you had 10 years earlier. I would have identified myself as a Bama fan (though to be honest, I didn't follow football and didn't care very much), but when it was time to go to college, I chose AU because of the engineering school and because my brother was there. I didn't become an Auburn fan or even a football fan until I went to my first game my sophomore year.

Those of you criticizing recruits who grew up as Auburn fans but chose another school need to get a little perspective.

What about Marlon Humphrey? Do u really expect a bama fan growing up commit to AU if he has offers from both? Not gonna happen! It's easy to make that comment if u didn't play or follow football.

Allie Davison ‏@Allie_Davison

Four-star S Jordan Colbert says he recruited for Auburn during his visit despite not being a commit

This seems like a good sign, but it also seems a little strange to me. Not that i'm complaining at all, I just wonder why he'd be recruiting for us if he wasn't committed.

My guess is that he is not 100% with just getting the UGA offer, but he still loves Auburn. He probably does not want to flip, so if we do get his commitment I suspect it will be solid barring something absolutely crazy. He is being an extremely patient young man. It is nice to see, it shows a side of dedication.

Allie Davison ‏@Allie_Davison

Four-star S Jordan Colbert says he recruited for Auburn during his visit despite not being a commit

This seems like a good sign, but it also seems a little strange to me. Not that i'm complaining at all, I just wonder why he'd be recruiting for us if he wasn't committed.

Sounds as though he is committed, in his heart. Hope that's the case!

But why not make it official?

That's what she said.

Look, I can understand him hesitating after getting the offer from UGA. They were his first love. Now he's falling for Auburn, but that gets UGA's attention. Maybe he wants to enjoy that feeling for a while.

That's what she said.

Look, I can understand him hesitating after getting the offer from UGA. They were his first love. Now he's falling for Auburn, but that gets UGA's attention. Maybe he wants to enjoy that feeling for a while.

Bingo.

That's what she said.

But, but, but... if you grow up rooting for a team, then you HAVE to sign with them, that's the rule, right... right..?

Or else you must have just been some casual fan...

With the commitment yesterday from Edwards, we may only be taking 1 more safety. I imagine we take the first commitment between Colbert or Roundtree, or whoever else has a commitable offer.

I think if Roundtree goes to UGA we have a better chance with Colbert. We're already in great shape but Roundtree going to the leghumpers could potentially help.

Only if it's your in-state rival, look up the history! Smh

Lulz, didn't realize that the "Deep South's Oldest Rivalry" was so easily discounted. And as far as the whole in-state thing goes, Auburn is basically just West Georgia anyway, amiright? ;-)

I hope you realize that as much as we here all love Auburn, Bama is far and away the more popular team in the state. So if we woke up tomorrow in some magical world where all the instate kids who grew up wearing Crimson go West and the ones who grew up in Orange and Blue came here, we'd be way on the losing side of that deal. I'm quite sure we pull in kids every year that identified as UA fans growing up, just as they pull in kids that idintified as AU fans. After all there are much better reasons to select which University to attend than based on what sports team your 8-year-old self decided it liked.

But back to Mr. Colbert... I'm glad to hear that your visit went well, Jordan! I hope that you decide Auburn is the right place for you. And if you do, I promise that we (at least most of us) will forgive you for those red and black bed sheets.

I watched Colbert's film again. He is very good in both run and pass coverage. Will we give him a shot at LB, Safety, or Star. I think he could play any of those positions. On film, he looks like a smart player too. Several times it looks like he is QBing the LB's.

Archived