AU vs Cal

Tella lines out to right to end the threat; 5-0 Cal after 7; Auburn has stranded at least 7 runners tonight, possibly more

I hope this does not continue to plague AU as the season unfolds....

I have not seen one game this year, I am just going on what I have seen on game tracker box scores, etc. Anyone who has been to a game please let me know what is really going on.

The two things that stick out to me are...

1. Leaving men on base. I don't have the stats, but it seems like we have left 30+ men on base already this season. I think we had 12 men left on base in one game. We seem to be putting the ball into play enough to win. We are just not hitting consistent enough. We end up with a man or 2 on base (in scoring position) and 2 outs. We have to start stringing hits together.

2. I think we are a bit too aggressive when we are on base. (or we need a lot of work getting a better jump when steeling) Getting thrown out stealing has really hurt us... often ending an inning, or bringing us to 2 outs. Risking a double play by not steeling so often sounds like a good option for what this team is going through. When we get a man on base let the batter advance him. Protect the lead runner. He needs to keep the "out count" down and SCORE. This will also get us one more batter in per inning. At least until we learn to get better jumps on the pitch.

I have not seen one game this year, I am just going on what I have seen on game tracker box scores, etc. Anyone who has been to a game please let me know what is really going on.

1. Leaving men on base. I don't have the stats, but it seems like we have left 30+ men on base already this season. I think we had 12 men left on base in one game. We seem to be putting the ball into play enough to win. We are just not hitting consistent enough. We end up with a man or 2 on base (in scoring position) and 2 outs. We have to start stringing hits together.

2. I think we are a bit too aggressive when we are on base. (or we need a lot of work getting a better jump when steeling) Getting thrown out stealing has really hurt us... often ending an inning, or bringing us to 2 outs. Risking a double play by not steeling so often sounds like a good option for what this team is going through. When we get a man on base let the batter advance him. Protect the lead runner. He needs to keep the "out count" down and SCORE. This will also get us one more batter in per inning. At least until we learn to get better jumps on the pitch.

Agreed; the main thing IMO is clutch hitting. This is the second time in as many tries we have been shut out in a Saturday game this year, both against pretty decent teams. It seems to me that a large amount of runners are left stranded at second and third rather than first. Stealing I don't believe is as big of a problem, I do like the aggression. I just think this teams needs to find an offensive identity (much like the other bball team) because right now, it looks like guy after guy going up there to swing away trying to string together some base hits to get a run or two across. Offensively, the team has not seemed to have a "team" philosophy at the plate

Agreed; the main thing IMO is clutch hitting. This is the second time in as many tries we have been shut out in a Saturday game this year, both against pretty decent teams. It seems to me that a large amount of runners are left stranded at second and third rather than first. Stealing I don't believe is as big of a problem, I do like the aggression. I just think this teams needs to find an offensive identity (much like the other bball team) because right now, it looks like guy after guy going up there to swing away trying to string together some base hits to get a run or two across. Offensively, the team has not seemed to have a "team" philosophy at the plate

I like aggressive base running also, I just think we need to throttle back a bit. There were a couple double plays made that may have been avoided with steeling tonight, but in general, we are getting a lot of guys busted after they get on base. Not seeing a game sucks, because I can not see if it is a situation thing, a bad jump, slow players, or just one of the things that happens in streaks in baseball. I can only see the result. Nit picking baseball strategy is half the fun for me.

You can do only so much with coaching or "systems". This team needs some solid hitters and they haven't been recruited for several years now. This is one coach that can't be criticized very much until he has at least one more year of players on board that he recruited himself.

You can do only so much with coaching or "systems". This team needs some solid hitters and they haven't been recruited for several years now. This is one coach that can't be criticized very much until he has at least one more year of players on board that he recruited himself.

I suspected we didn't have the horses. I just didn't want to say it out loud.

Yep, this is very different than the Barbee situation. Galloway has a lot to overcome (like Barbee did) and thus should get 4 years (like Barbee will) to turn things around. Sounds like Galloway doesn't shy away from calling players out publicly. That may or may not work depending on the personality of the players he's calling out. Hopefully he's getting to know these guys and will figure out how to push the right buttons.

The team has no hitters..at this point anyway. Saw the games in Florida and most of our hits were bleeders, bunts and short liners over the infield. No clutch hits and LOBs all over the place....and sounds the same since they got back to AU...but pitching looked good.

Yep, this is very different than the Barbee situation. Galloway has a lot to overcome (like Barbee did) and thus should get 4 years (like Barbee will) to turn things around. Sounds like Galloway doesn't shy away from calling players out publicly. That may or may not work depending on the personality of the players he's calling out. Hopefully he's getting to know these guys and will figure out how to push the right buttons.

Calling players out publicly is a terrible policy IMHO. I hate to see that done to any college team. I hate it when weeman does it, and I don't feel any different about an AU coach who does it. It's not really helpful and it sure isn't a classy move.

Archived