Cutcliffe's future up for debate

Tigermike

Those Ole Miss fans seem to have a huge case of the big head after last year.

Do they really expect to win 10 every year? Even without Eli? :blink:

Cutcliffe's future up for debate

November 21, 2004

Speculation surrounds Ole Miss coach as first losing season at school nears end

By Michael Wallace

mwallace@clarionledger.com

BATON ROUGE — Ole Miss athletic director Pete Boone is aware of the rampant speculation regarding head coach David Cutcliffe's job security these days.

But Boone would neither confirm nor deny whether Cutcliffe would return for a seventh year after the Rebels finish up what is assured to be the program's first losing season since 1996.

"Obviously, this season has been disappointing, but the important thing is for Coach Cutcliffe and I to get together soon after the final game and ... not only to look at the season but also the program," Boone said prior to Saturday's Ole Miss-LSU game. "And then make whatever adjustments need to be made, whether it's policy issues or procedure issues or human resource (staffing) issues."

Ole Miss' slide comes a year after Cutcliffe guided the team to a 10-3 record, its most successful season in nearly 40 years. Cutcliffe was named the SEC Coach of the Year after the Rebels' finished the 2003 season ranked No. 13 in the final AP poll.

But this season has been doomed by on-the-field struggles and off-the-field disciplinary problems, including several player arrests and suspensions. Fan and alumni Internet message boards have been flooded recently with rumors that Cutcliffe would either step down at the end of the season or make some changes on his staff.

Cutcliffe, who was given a new contract that included a raise and significant incentive bonuses, has three seasons left on a deal believed to be worth an estimated $1.2 million annually. He has talked extensively about correcting the team's problems this offseason and has not given any indication he wouldn't return.

Cutcliffe entered Saturday with a 43-28 overall record at Ole Miss and is the only coach in school history to lead the Rebels to at least seven wins in his first five years.

"Coaches are on the hot seat from the day they're hired," Boone said. "They cool down their seats when they have successful seasons. But as soon as a season changes and it's not successful, things get hot again. That's the nature of the business. I'm sure Coach Cutcliffe ... understands the need to perform ... in (terms of) wins and losses."

Lane keeping options open

Ole Miss quarterback Robert Lane, one of the nation's top pro baseball prospects coming out of high school a year ago, said he has not ruled out playing the sport at the college level at some point.

"Right now, it's still an option for me; it's just tough to (play) both sports (in college) and be good," said Lane, who played shortstop in high school and batted .428 with 28 career HRs. "I've chosen to play football, but nobody's saying I'm not going to go back and play baseball someday."

Rebs halt TD drought

Lane's 4-yard touchdown run with 7:10 left in the second quarter was the Rebels' first TD in 97 minutes, 44 seconds. The drought dated to the start of the fourth quarter in UM's Oct. 30 loss to Auburn.

Ridgeway's gotcha

Cody Ridgeway gained 22 yards to pick up a first down on a fake punt in the second quarter. The fourth-down conversion marked the first time Ole Miss picked up a first down on a fake punt since a 1998 .

LINK

Despite the win, some of those coaches, and possibly all of them, could be looking for jobs soon. One season after going 10-3 and winning a share of the SEC West title behind quarterback Eli Manning, the Rebels finished 4-7 (3-5 in the SEC) and will not play in a bowl game for the first time since 2001.

http://www.collegesports.com/tsx/current/m-footbl/ole.html

They interviewed a guy from Memphis on WJOX yesterday afternoon that covered Ole Miss and he said that too many boosters have NEVER liked Cutcliffe and that he was pretty much hired so Ole Miss could sign Eli. Now that Eli's gone, this guy thinks Cutcliffe is gone too.

Who are they going to hire that's any better?

They are old miss. They are always gonna' be old miss.

What do they expect?

Who could they hire, that would actually take the job, that could do any better over time?

I guess they may understand now WHY Coach Tuberville left....A MUCH better job at a MUCH better School!

A couple of things stand out for me and this is just speculation because I know about as much or little about the OM program as most on this board. Life after Eli isn't so rosey because it shows just how incredibly dependant they were on one player. Without him, they're left with what they always seem to have...very average talent. That comes back to recruiting and ultimately, the head coach.

Second, the discipline problems. Couple these problems with a losing season that falls way short of expectations, it appears your program is not headed in the right direction.

Ole Miss should be gettin the better recruits out of Mississippi now that MSU is on probation. I hope they get better so they can make the SEC better, and if cutcliffe needs to go to do that, then maybe they should look elsewhere.

As evident as it is, last year's record wasn't because of Cutcliff. It was because of Eli Manning. OM has always and will always be a middle of the pack SEC team. I remember when Tuberville came to interview for the AU job, he said he was astounded at the difference in the facilities at AU compared to OM. You'd think that all the schools would be pretty much even on weight rooms, practice facilities, etc. He said there was no comparison. Now that Eli is gone and everyone has come back down from their Manning high, it's back to normal for OM.

As evident as it is, last year's record wasn't because of Cutcliff.  It was because of Eli Manning.  OM has always and will always be a middle of the pack SEC team.  I remember when Tuberville came to interview for the AU job, he said he was astounded at the difference in the facilities at AU compared to OM.  You'd think that all the schools would be pretty much even on weight rooms, practice facilities, etc. He said there was no comparison.  Now that Eli is gone and everyone has come back down from their Manning high, it's back to normal for OM.

127682[/snapback]

when they had deuce mccalister they were alright. if they get someone that can recruit, OM isnt that bad of a place to play. After this year, the West needs to get a lot better to compete with UT, UGA, UF, and now SC in the East. Arky and OM need to step up.

Thats really hard to believe.

1. Look at the nosedive wash. has taken since he left.

2. He got fired for betting in that pool that the compliance coordinator ok'd.

3. He fielded highly competitive teams at col. and wash.

Oh well.

Archived