Baseball Managing

I'm happy we swept Mercer, but this series has raised a few concerns IMO. First, Dedrick consistently seems to collapse in the 9th inning. I think we should consider moving him to a setup role, at least for the time being.

More than that though, I cannot fathom why we bunted with one out and a runner in scoring position. For someone at the game, did that bunt in the 9th inning appear to be a straight SAC or was the batter bunting for a base hit? I'm aware we went on the rally and win the game, but decisions like that are elementary and will lead to losses.

I'm happy we swept Mercer, but this series has raised a few concerns IMO. First, Dedrick consistently seems to collapse in the 9th inning. I think we should consider moving him to a setup role, at least for the time being.

More than that though, I cannot fathom why we bunted with one out and a runner in scoring position. For someone at the game, did that bunt in the 9th inning appear to be a straight SAC or was the batter bunting for a base hit? I'm aware we went on the rally and win the game, but decisions like that are elementary and will lead to losses.

Dedrick definitely having problems this year but not just him...once we get past TreyC-G the other pitchers have all had problems getting outs and holding the opposition late in games. Starters all look good ..or good enough anyway. Someone really needs to step up as the closer.

Otherwise, I don't get sacrificing with one out but that's SG's style. Probably it has worked for him over the years but right now we are leaving a lot of runners on base with this strategy.

The only benefits to bunting in that situation are the ability of the runner to score from third on an error or a wild pitch. Statistically, I would much rather have the out back and have two cracks at driving the runner home. In other words 1 out > the probability of a wild pitch or error.

The only benefits to bunting in that situation are the ability of the runner to score from third on an error or a wild pitch. Statistically, I would much rather have the out back and have two cracks at driving the runner home. In other words 1 out > the probability of a wild pitch or error.

I'm 100% with you on that. I'm seldom in favor of bunting a runner to third and with one already out it seems, well, an unfortunate choice to me.

There is no telling how many potential big innings we've forgone in recent seasons just to try to get one run. Also, a bunt is never guaranteed to be successful. In the best case you surrender an out and worst case is a double play.

So...sweeping the series is not good enough? You guys don't like the WAY Auburn won? And with a new coach like you all wanted?

SMH....

I'm not sold on CSG's personality, but I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing as far as game management and strategy.

Dedrick will shake the cobwebs out because he's a talented kid. He was a tough pitcher to hit last season in the 9th inning, and he did a great job for AU as the closer. He'll come around. He doesn't seem as comfortable on the mound so I wonder if the new coaches are tweaking his delivery or something.

So...sweeping the series is not good enough? You guys don't like the WAY Auburn won? And with a new coach like you all wanted?

SMH....

I'm not sold on CSG's personality, but I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing as far as game management and strategy.

Dedrick will shake the cobwebs out because he's a talented kid. He was a tough pitcher to hit last season in the 9th inning, and he did a great job for AU as the closer. He'll come around. He doesn't seem as comfortable on the mound so I wonder if the new coaches are tweaking his delivery or something.

The point I am making is that playing this way may allow us to squeeze out a win against Mercer, but we will pay for sloppy play against quality SEC opponents.

Fortunately, I saw CSG tweet earlier that the bunt was supposed to be a drag bunt for a base hit--never intended to be a SAC bunt. I still don't like that call though, because at best it puts a runner on third and sets up a force at 2nd so that a ground ball could be an inning-ending DP. In any situation, with one out and a runner on second a bunt (even for a hit) does little good is not worth the risk. That's just baseball 101.

Fortunately, I saw CSG tweet earlier that the bunt was supposed to be a drag bunt for a base hit--never intended to be a SAC bunt. I still don't like that call though, because at best it puts a runner on third and sets up a force at 2nd so that a ground ball could be an inning-ending DP. In any situation, with one out and a runner on second a bunt (even for a hit) does little good is not worth the risk. That's just baseball 101.

I believe Golloway knows this team is not going to put up many big innings against the pitching that's coming in conference play. I have to believe he thinks they can be coached to be better on the bases. He mentioned post-game Saturday that they are using all these early games to try and figure out what they've got for SEC play, and I think the drag bunt call in the B9 was just more of what we've seen in him trying to generate offense without being able to dial up a long ball on command.

I'm one of "those guys" TB is referring to, and I'll take a sweep against Mercer, who was 12-2 coming in and has become an offensive powerhouse and perennial tournament contender in recent years. Oh, and they were the top fielding team in the nation last year.

It sounds like these wins over mercer are solid wins. I'm happy to see some positive momentum.

I agree w PODixie in that there is a certain element of testing what he has in game situations to make later decisions and still giving the team a chance at a W in the process.

Belle, good point on the possibility of tweaking TD delivery ... Or maybe it was to boost TD confidence by risking a loss by letting him close it out. But there is zero way you can say positive things about his last 2 closer appearances.

My question still stands for the baseball peeps... When do you yank a closer? When do you at least get someone warming up? During B9 Sunday, did we have another arm warming up in case it went to the 10th after TD's struggles?

I know mercer has good bats but so will future teams. What is typical management when you blow a 3 run lead in 9th

SMH....

If you can't cuss and discuss baseball the sport is no fun. Beyond that, AUTU gave a good response. I will state that Galloway didn't get left with much to work with and he needs another year of recruiting his own players before he has a full deck to play with.

Mustache Eagle, most managers wouldn't let a closer get the bases loaded before he is yanked. The whole nature of being a "closer" is that you have to get guys out immediately. The situation closers come in on demands that. Unlike a starter, the closer doesn't have a few innings to get loose if he's struggling. I have no idea about what was going on in our bullpen, but I assume somebody was ready.

SMH....

If you can't cuss and discuss baseball the sport is no fun. Beyond that, AUTU gave a good response. I will state that Galloway didn't get left with much to work with and he needs another year of recruiting his own players before he has a full deck to play with.

Mustache Eagle, most managers wouldn't let a closer get the bases loaded before he is yanked. The whole nature of being a "closer" is that you have to get guys out immediately. The situation closers come in on demands that. Unlike a starter, the closer doesn't have a few innings to get loose if he's struggling. I have no idea about what was going on in our bullpen, but I assume somebody was ready.

The "closer" is supposed to face three batters....maybe four tops ...but if any closer ...college or major league....gets to his 5th batter in an inning he is usually in uncharted territory. Maybe CSG wanted to do a gut-check on Dedrick ....but I don't think we will see him pitching to that many batters in any future outing. And considering that the other closer candidates are having trouble too, Dedrick is the best we have.

FYI Auburn still has the same pitching coach we have had for the last 5 years. The pitching coach that was coming with CSG backed out so we are stuck with what has been for the time being anyway.

FYI Auburn still has the same pitching coach we have had for the last 5 years. The pitching coach that was coming with CSG backed out so we are stuck with what has been for the time being anyway.

Really, pitching has been the most acceptable area of our game for the past few years. Retaining the previous pitching coach doesn't bother me. Our base runners still making mistakes 12 year old players get fussed at for, that bothers me.

SMH....

LOL Mikey....just once can't you be happy with a win? :tease:

LOL Mikey....just once can't you be happy with a win? :tease:

Being happy with a win and discussing improvements that the team needs to make are not mutually exclusive.

Gotta agree with Mikey on this....the season is more than just three games.

I know that this is the time of the year for the coach to be finding out "who can play" but we are now a long way off of Sunny's goal to be 17-0 when conference play starts.

IMO, having watched most games in person or on the tube, the team does not look much different/better than it did in game #1 against Indiana State. ....starting pitchers looking good, relief pitchers (especially the closers) not getting it done, only a couple guys hitting with any regularity, too many outs on the base paths and too many LOBs.

There is time to correct all of that...but not as much time as when the season got started. Just an observation...not a complaint.

Still looking forward to the trip to Omaha though.

I know that this is the time of the year for the coach to be finding out "who can play" but we are now a long way off of Sunny's goal to be 17-0 when conference play starts.

IMO, having watched most games in person or on the tube, the team does not look much different/better than it did in game #1 against Indiana State. ....starting pitchers looking good, relief pitchers (especially the closers) not getting it done, only a couple guys hitting with any regularity, too many outs on the base paths and too many LOBs.

There is time to correct all of that...but not as much time as when the season got started. Just an observation...not a complaint.

No one said the series was the whole season.....or even implied that.

It's just that all the negativity gets really old. Almost no one ever has anything good to say. It would be nice to discuss the positives too. They do exist but are mostly ignored on this forum. Last season was just about unbearable here and we lost a bunch of posters because of it. A win is a win, and it's still preferable to have one, but you sure can't tell it around here.

It's just that all the negativity gets really old. Almost no one ever has anything good to say. It would be nice to discuss the positives too. They do exist but are mostly ignored on this forum. Last season was just about unbearable here and we lost a bunch of posters because of it. A win is a win, and it's still preferable to have one, but you sure can't tell it around here.

I don't think the expectations for the baseball team are any higher than for any other AU sport. Basically looking for good fundamental play and effort. I'm usually in the "win is a win" camp but I'm willing to bet that Sunny would not say "a win is a win" after the past two games...because he knows the recent quality of play will not get it done as the competition gets better.

After more than a dozen games, JMO but the team should show more improvement.....and I expect the players would agree too. Belle, you don't really think that the team is happy with their play do you?

Last season was unbearable on this forum? It was unbearable being a fan of the team too. This year we have already lost six games and the easy part of the schedule is behind us.

More importantly, as 64 points out, improvement is hard to see. I'll give the new coach time to re-stock the team as he didn't inherit a bunch of world-beaters but if anybody wants bubbling enthusiasm the team needs to do something to be enthusiastic about. One-run wins over ASU while committing 4 errors ain't it.

I think that was done for later in the year. While these games have meaning, they are also meaningless. This time of year is when you are trying to figure out how the pieces fit together, who can do what in the clutch, who needs to work on what, etc., etc., etc..

Last season was unbearable on this forum? It was unbearable being a fan of the team too. This year we have already lost six games and the easy part of the schedule is behind us.

More importantly, as 64 points out, improvement is hard to see. I'll give the new coach time to re-stock the team as he didn't inherit a bunch of world-beaters but if anybody wants bubbling enthusiasm the team needs to do something to be enthusiastic about. One-run wins over ASU while committing 4 errors ain't it.

9 errors over the last two games. Yeah, we won--WDE. But the only way to lose games quicker than committing 5 errors is to start Jose Lima every game.

I don't think the expectations for the baseball team are any higher than for any other AU sport. Basically looking for good fundamental play and effort. I'm usually in the "win is a win" camp but I'm willing to bet that Sunny would not say "a win is a win" after the past two games...because he knows the recent quality of play will not get it done as the competition gets better.

After more than a dozen games, JMO but the team should show more improvement.....and I expect the players would agree too. Belle, you don't really think that the team is happy with their play do you?

That is NOT the point. But I doubt they are as unhappy with a win as the posters here.

The point is...It's no fun to constantly and overwhelmingly focus on the negative in every single thread day after day. That's all that's ever discussed, and it's just so tedious and frustrating.The negativity takes over the forum, and then you have nothing but whining and complaining. The posters who see everything as terrible and dark apparently lack the ability to see anything good to discuss at least every once in while.

If all of you are so miserable and unhappy with AU baseball..... then why are you even watching it? Seriously... you all don't even like it when AU wins.

That is NOT the point. But I doubt they are as unhappy with a win as the posters here.

The point is...It's no fun to constantly and overwhelmingly focus on the negative in every single thread day after day. That's all that's ever discussed, and it's just so tedious and frustrating.The negativity takes over the forum, and then you have nothing but whining and complaining. The posters who see everything as terrible and dark apparently lack the ability to see anything good to discuss at least every once in while.

If all of you are so miserable and unhappy with AU baseball..... then why are you even watching it? Seriously... you all don't even like it when AU wins.

:rolleyes:

Guess I'm still thinking about the old days when I played some HS ball. For our coach, when the game was over it was not about whether we won or lost but "how we played the game".....and the guy usually focused on the negative. He would work our butts off to improve the things we had done poorly....sometimes starting about 30 minutes after the game was over. Stuck in the past it seems ....sorry :dunno:

Winning two baseball games while committing nine errors is similar to winning two football games while committing nine turnovers. We could be glad we won but to say there weren't problems that needed immediate correcting would be silly.

Winning two baseball games while committing nine errors is similar to winning two football games while committing nine turnovers. We could be glad we won but to say there weren't problems that needed immediate correcting would be silly.

You're correct. This team is a work in process and I hope the AU Family remembers that going into conference play. With all that's happened over the last few weeks with players leaving and other speaking it appears he's got the team's attention. But, the competition is about to get a lot tougher. Coach Galloway was brought here to do one thing: win. And from what I understand that's what he cares about first, no matter who he makes mad. His track record says he will win. I believe better days are ahead but this year could be a little rough.

Archived