Please let Pearl

wdeexit310

The show cause order means that if another school hires him, they must show cause as to why he should be allowed to coach again before the order expires. (Others have indicated this only applies to recruiting... I will defer to them.) I don't know what the NCAA considers acceptable cause, but I'd bet my firstborn this Didion fella does.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He might prefer VT to not have to coach in the SEC right now.

Why would he prefer to take a program just as bad as Auburn's but have to fight through a tougher conference?

He might prefer VT to not have to coach in the SEC right now.

Sorry, I don't understand that logic. Seems opposite to me actually.

So as we continue to wait... What do you guys think is going on right now?

1.) Is Auburn & Pearl working through contract negotiations?

2.) Is Auburn in discussions with the NCAA to make sure that we can hire Pearl?

3.) Or is Pearl simply thinking things over?

I think a combo of 1 and 2

Golf - do you think that Pearl has agreed to come to Auburn pending NCAA approval?

Assumption, or pretty good authority?

Golf - do you think that Pearl has agreed to come to Auburn pending NCAA approval?

yes but nothing is 100% these days

Assumption, or pretty good authority?

pretty good but as I said above no guarantees now a days

This is as excited about AU basketball as I have gotten since watching the Chris Porter team. I really hope we can get Pearl and start a respectable BB program. Its not a good as football, but its next. And especially fun to have a team in the tourney the next couple weeks.

I just hope we hire a BB coach that is of the caliber of Gus Malzhan & Coach Galloway. We do this, Auburn basketball will be back to the tune of Cliff Ellis & Sonny Smith. Those men were the best BB coaches that I can remember Auburn having. I do not think that Bruce Pearl is of the low level as Bobby Petrino is. I think if Pearl is hired, he will be under the microscope until he proves he is honest and will do the right thing for Auburn basketball.

I just hope we hire a BB coach that is of the caliber of Gus Malzhan & Coach Galloway. We do this, Auburn basketball will be back to the tune of Cliff Ellis & Sonny Smith. Those men were the best BB coaches that I can remember Auburn having. I do not think that Bruce Pearl is of the low level as Bobby Petrino is. I think if Pearl is hired, he will be under the microscope until he proves he is honest and will do the right thing for Auburn basketball.

JMO but Gus and Sunny were about as far apart as possible regarding their candidacy. Gus had one year as HC of a level 2 school and Sunny had 5 seasons with 40 wins and at least one trip to the college world series. Despite what many people thought they knew about the 2010 season, Gus was a huge risk. Sunny and Clint Myer were pretty much sure things.

JMO but Gus and Sunny were about as far apart as possible regarding their candidacy. Gus had one year as HC of a level 2 school and Sunny had 5 seasons with 40 wins and at least one trip to the college world series. Despite what many people thought they knew about the 2010 season, Gus was a huge risk. Sunny and Clint Myer were pretty much sure things.

Gus wasn't THAT huge a risk. He has exceeded expectations every year he's been in coaching except for the one that he was handcuffed by Chizik (which it seems clear now was a power struggle more than anything else, and that would have been well known in the athletics department the whole time), and since he'd only been gone a year, the whole team knew him. He already knew the area and the dynamics of the program, and he'd assuredly already made plenty of inroads with high school coaches around here. He also had a team loaded with at least some experience, considering how young the makeup of the roster was in 2011 and 2012, and after a 3-9 season, there are those in Auburn who would have been jumping for joy just to go to a bowl game. I remember in the preseason, there were several "realists" who kept saying that expecting an improvement of more than three wins from season to season was just unrealistic.

The only angle from which it was a risk was that if things went wrong, there wouldn't be as much substance with which to defend the hire (as there would have been with Galloway), but again, with only minimal improvement, he would have been seen as a success, at least in year one.

Gus wasn't THAT huge a risk. He has exceeded expectations every year he's been in coaching except for the one that he was handcuffed by Chizik (which it seems clear now was a power struggle more than anything else, and that would have been well known in the athletics department the whole time), and since he'd only been gone a year, the whole team knew him. He already knew the area and the dynamics of the program, and he'd assuredly already made plenty of inroads with high school coaches around here. He also had a team loaded with at least some experience, considering how young the makeup of the roster was in 2011 and 2012, and after a 3-9 season, there are those in Auburn who would have been jumping for joy just to go to a bowl game. I remember in the preseason, there were several "realists" who kept saying that expecting an improvement of more than three wins from season to season was just unrealistic.

The only angle from which it was a risk was that if things went wrong, there wouldn't be as much substance with which to defend the hire, but again, with only minimal improvement, he would have been seen as a success, at least in year one.

As you suggest...it's easy to make the argument about Gus after the season we had..... but I have to disagree on the amount of risk....if we had lost most of those close games won in the final seconds, and ended up 7-5 or so, I bet it would be a harder sell this year. AU dodged every bullet fired its way last year until the final game. I was happy to see Gus back but still IMO JJ stuck his neck out a mile to bring him back.

And despite the great year just finished I don't see anything about the coming season to say it's a slam dunk to be back to the SEC championship. Everything went AU's way last year....and probably we will need the same again this year against a very tough schedule.

As you suggest...it's easy to make the argument about Gus after the season we had..... but I have to disagree on the amount of risk....if we had lost most of those close games won in the final seconds, and ended up 7-5 or so, I bet it would be a harder sell this year. AU dodged every bullet fired its way last year until the final game. I was happy to see Gus back but still IMO JJ stuck his neck out a mile to bring him back.

And despite the great year just finished I don't see anything about the coming season to say it's a slam dunk to be back to the SEC championship. Everything went AU's way last year....and probably we will need the same again this year against a very tough schedule.

After the disaster that was 2012, if we'd ended up 7-5 with 3 or 4 close losses, I'd wager that the vast majority would be talking about how close we were to a double digit win total, not bemoaning the fact that we couldn't pull through. And I remember every single report out of camp from day one that he stepped on campus was that it was obvious JJ had made the right choice based purely on the conditioning program and such, so it's not like anything happened by accident.

And no, Auburn did NOT dodge every bullet fired its way last year. Nick Marshall engineered a game winning drive against Mississippi State. The team got knocked to the mat in the first half of the LSU game, but refused to give up and fought back in the second half, something that hadn't happened the year before. We took the best Johnny Football and The 12th Man could give and matched them stride for stride. If not for a furious rally in the fourth quarter, the Georgia game wouldn't have even been close, let alone needed a "Miracle" (Aaron Murray NEVER got the ball across the plane for the go ahead score to begin with). And let us not forget that 99 yard dagger McCarron threw in the fourth quarter of the Iron Bowl, only to see the team respond, yet again, with Marshall coming through in the clutch with that TD pass to Sammie that tied the game (that play had to have been amazing for those in attendance, too, when they saw Coates ten yards behind everyone else...the stadium absolutely erupted at that instant!) and set up the OMG field goal return for one of the wildest endings of any football game, ever.

As for your second point, though, I couldn't agree more, at least about it not being a given that Auburn makes it back to the SECCG. Auburn brings back a heck of a lot of talent (35 of 44 players from the 2 deep roster is pretty impressive), but this is the SEC, and we have to travel to Athens AND T-town this year. I don't think we necessarily have to have everything go our way, not when you consider that Malzahn has a returning starter at QB for the first time in his college career to go along with four returning starters on the O-line (plus one more who has starting experience) and all the rest of the talent on the team. Also, it should be mentioned that Ellis Johnson has a reputation for significant improvement from season 1 to season 2, as the players pick up his system better and he learns how to utilize their talents better.

All things considered, I would say that even with the tough schedule, 9-3 is a relatively conservative prediction, and would likely have us at least in contention for going to Atlanta to play the Eastern division champs, even though it probably takes at least 10 wins to get there.

But here I am rambling away about football on the basketball forum...so, Bruce Pearl, anyone? :hellyeah:

The only angle from which it was a risk was that if things went wrong, there wouldn't be as much substance with which to defend the hire, but again, with only minimal improvement, he would have been seen as a success, at least in year one.

I'd say a good reason Auburn dodged those bullets was due to coaching. You cant coach a last second hail Mary reception that was tipped and caught but you can coach a never give up attitude. Im with red on this one. I dont see Gus' hire being that big of a risk. Hindsight certainly seems to confirm that.

Archived