Please let Pearl

wdeexit310

They may not be the same thing, but they are analogous. And Pearl has served his punishment without making excuses or deflecting blame toward others. He's gone in front of about 400-500 Boys & Girls Clubs and owned that what he did was wrong, that he got exactly what he deserved, and urged them not to be stupid like he was.

Like I say, there are people at Auburn who have way more inside knowledge of this situation than all of us combined. If they feel comfortable giving Jacobs the green light to pursue him, I value their judgment over anyone here.

Titan is owning this thread. Nice job and spot on.

+1. Titan gets it and is laying down facts about it as well. Some folks wanna blow what Pearl did way outta proportion. Drama Drama Drama.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clay Travis compared the NCAA violations to a speeding ticket. That may be accurate--almost everyone does it, but a small fraction get caught, and the enforcers frequently look the other way--but I would say having a show cause is more analogous to a DUI conviction. That said, Pearl has paid his fine and done his time, so if we ask the right questions and he gives the right answers in the interview process, I'm ask for giving him a second chance. We're hiring a basketball coach, not a choir director.

If JJ does decide to want Pearl, we have to petition the NCAA for permission. Not good PR for Auburn.

Not sure where you got that idea, but it's wrong.

If JJ does decide to want Pearl, we have to petition the NCAA for permission. Not good PR for Auburn.

Not sure where you got that idea, but it's wrong.

I think he's referring to the Show Cause - which if I'm not mistaken is in effect until August. So I believe we would - although should be easy enough at this point "We want to go ahead and have the hiring out of the way so our program can begin moving forward. Every intention to work with the NCAA when needed, etc. etc."

JJ, please bring Chuck Person home. bama already has a lying coach. The state doesn't need another one.

Just a question, but do you sit around all day thinking up a clever to express your opinion? I ask only because you made this exact same post on another forum. You didnt even change the wording. Minor coincidence or pre planned? Not a big deal either way, just amusing.

Well you need to give him props for being consistent.

JJ, please bring Chuck Person home. bama already has a lying coach. The state doesn't need another one.

Just a question, but do you sit around all day thinking up a clever to express your opinion? I ask only because you made this exact same post on another forum. You didnt even change the wording. Minor coincidence or pre planned? Not a big deal either way, just amusing.

Well you need to give him props for being consistent.

I'm curious as to his opinion on the man for whom the field at Jordan-Hare is named...

Quote: "I'm curious as to his opinion on the man for whom the field at Jordan-Hare is named... " You mean the one that GOT FIRED because an assistant coach gave a player a box of food and $300? That guy? He can't ever coach at Auburn again and he didn't even lie to the NCAA. We certainly wouldn't have hired him had that stuff been on his record. The comparison, well, doesn't compare.

I believe Pearl himself can repeal the length of the show cause, but hasn't done so yet because he was waiting until he knows if it is necessary based on who his new employer is. Sort of time off for good behavior. This is from The Zone in Nashville who are big buddies with Pearl

Unbelievable at how perfect some of you make yourselves out to be and that you have never made a mistake. Wish I could be like you guys....

These anti-pearl fans need to get off their moral high horse. Cam and Nick Marshall have both been arrested for stealing yet, no one is calling for their heads?

Unbelievable at how perfect some of you make yourselves out to be and that you have never made a mistake. Wish I could be like you guys....

This "nobody's perfect" argument isn't going anywhere IMO.

You might want to try the "fool me once shame on you...fool me twice shame on me" argument.....I think that's what the people at Arky ended up saying.

This "nobody's perfect" argument isn't going anywhere IMO.

You might want to try the "fool me once shame on you...fool me twice shame on me" argument.....I think that's what the people at Arky ended up saying.

The only time you can give somebody a second chance after they did something wrong is if they did something wrong and were caught. When you give people second chances some workout and are better people for it some don't. It is impossible to say in advance if the person you want to give the second chance will prove if it was a good choice or a bad choice. Everyone can find examples where giving a second chance was a great thing and also where it fell flat on its face.

It really comes down to you believe in giving a second chance or you don't believe in giving a second chance. If you do believe then do your research and if you think that person deserves a second chance give that person a second chance and follow that with a prayer that you made a good choice.

Wow!! This is the most excitement I've seen on the BB board in a long time!! At least the coaching change has some fans interested!!

Maybe the only way we should hire BP is if he arrived in the same pine box that brought Tommy Tuberville to AU!!! ;)

Agree Texas and IIRC the person in charge on Pearls case at the NCAA is now a compliance guy here at AU and gave the green light to go after him. He would know more than anyone what is going on behind the scenes. I believe Pearl deserves a second chance and we should be the place to give it to him.

Penguin, fans want to get excited about ball, but as well all know our fans want results before full support is given (which is crap) Also, when players are dismissed left and right, interest is lost as well. The thought always reverts back to, " well, another year of AU bball."

It's really not that complicated. The magnitude of Pearl's infractions are minute at best and he's paid for them. No one we could reasonably expect to hire can match his record and resumé. Bring him in and let's get on the right track.

I know Bruce lied to the NCAA investigators - did he lie to the UT adminstration, i.e. the AD in the process of covering up?

Guest jojo1515

all this may be for nothing. Virginia Tech just fired their coach and are rumored to be looking at Bruce. only a small chance he would pick us over them in my opinion. hopefully it is already a done deal and it won't matter.

I know Bruce lied to the NCAA investigators - did he lie to the UT adminstration, i.e. the AD in the process of covering up?

If he did, he got fired and has been away from basketball for three years. Coaches dont have a endless opportunity, taking three years from the man at the height of his coaching reign is punishment for the most egregious errors that didnt happen at Penn State.

all this may be for nothing. Virginia Tech just fired their coach and are rumored to be looking at Bruce. only a small chance he would pick us over them in my opinion. hopefully it is already a done deal and it won't matter.

So he'd choose a program that's really no better than us but plays in a tougher conference?

So he'd choose a program that's really no better than us but plays in a tougher conference?

And has had equal amounts of coaching turnover in the last 8 years.

Guest jojo1515

If everyone is right about the difference between UA and Nike, then its certainly puts us at a disadvantage as VT is a Nike school...

Let's hope he likes the SEC idea better.

WT.....I know Didion is at AU. BUT that means he is NOT at the NCAA and would not have a "vote" in allowing us to hire Pearl. What if they drag their feet on it? We would be in limbo. I guess we will know soon. If we don't hire Pearl real soon my bet is that means he not it. I understand JJ has interviewed Marquette's coach,

Buzz Williams. But he might not be available if Marquette goes to the NCAA tourney (not likely) or the NIT.

NCAA cannot stop us from hiring Pearl...the only thing they can do is not approve a release from the show clause. So what does that mean? Well he cannot go out and recruit until sometime in August. His assistants can go out and recruit. So not much they can do...and if Didion approves then he knows how to work the system to get what is needed done or doesn't see that it is a big deal.

If everyone is right about the difference between UA and Nike, then its certainly puts us at a disadvantage as VT is a Nike school...

What does it say that VT is still terrible even with Nike?

Archived