The opener against the Pigs just keeps getting bigger!

EagleFlight34

How can he dare tell his players to work out and get in shape when he goes around looking like that or worse.

And how many coaches look like the players they coach?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arky has no natural rival in the sec and I think Bert's just trying to manufacture one. If it wasn't for his antics, would anyone, any where care about Arkansas or even identify correctly on a state map? It's a frantic attemp at any type of relevance. Honestly if it wasn't a slow day I wouldn't have read a thread with Arkansas in the title.

this is a great point as Brett will attempt to seal the borders for Arky recruits to build his program, the biggest threat is an Arky native, therfore you show ne fear. While he will continue to make an ass of himself publicly he is a good coach and can maintain a solid program. AU fans should not waste their energy creating the rivalry back and just let him turn his own fanbase against him, aka WI.

I admittedly giggled a little at this post. Seal the boarders of arky? Like there is a plethora of talent in that state! But they do tend to have a handful of good recruits every year and he does need to pull in all of 'em to be successfull there.

I agree. You cannot have a successful SEC football team and put your main focus on ARKY for recruiting. ARKY is talent that may not even equal the State of Tennessee's. No where near, AL, GA, FL, LA.

I really hate Arky. They're in my third of teams that we must beat every year behind UGA and Bama respectively.

How can he dare tell his players to work out and get in shape when he goes around looking like that or worse.

I know it is unusual, but all of the ones I work with are in as good or better shape...except our AD. He requires us to be for the exact reason a4e asked about.

Arkansas can have success, and they were, in fact, a big deal in the SWC. They were also the only non-traditional SEC power to make it as far as the SEC Championship Game before South Carolina did so in 2010 (though one of the two seasons they did so was with Malzahn as OC).

The problem they face now is that with Texas A&M joining the SEC, that gives the rest of the conference a lot more inroads into Texas, which virtually wipes out any recruiting advantage they had over the rest of the league in the Lone Star state. Combine that with the Arkansas high school athletics programs not set up to play the kind of football Bielema plays, it means they have to develop more players for longer periods when they can't get the big time athletes.

The bottom line is that hiring Bielema was a HUGE mistake for the Razorbacks. If they want to be competitive in the near future, they could get Petrino back in the HC position (which he might well take, because it's about the most prestigious coaching job he'll get for the rest of his career), or maybe go after Chad Morris. Or heck, they could even try to even the score with Ole Miss and take Hugh Freeze, if he'll leave for Fayetteville.

But Bielema ball only works in the SEC when you have a powerhouse program with the clout to recruit only the best of the best, the way Saban, Miles, and Richt do. When the recruiting base is as sparse and ill-fitted as it is in Arkansas, things just aren't going to work out well.

I know it is unusual, but all of the ones I work with are in as good or better shape...except our AD. He requires us to be for the exact reason a4e asked about.

Yeah, and remember that picture of Chizik's daughter about to leave for prom, with Gene in the background? My father was rather impressed with the guns hanging from xCGC's shoulders...

For me, I would also put lsu and ole miss (and uf and uat when we play them) before arky. Granted they've been an annoyance (kinda like msu) but besides cbb's sillinessI just can't work up any passion about them. Which I believe is part of their problem, they're really not on any team's true rivals list so little media coverage to help in out of state recruiting. Again, I think cbb is trying to manufacture a rivalry where none exists.

I don't know if I hated Arky but I sure have come to fear them over the years. They were always good for a tough game against AU and I hate that we have like a .500 record against them since they joined the conference. I like to think of AU being in the top tier of the SEC and our Arky record was always a legitimate arguement against that. I'm really enjoying the idiocy of bert and look forward to much success against the hogs while he is there (2 years max!)

I don't know if I hated Arky but I sure have come to fear them over the years. They were always good for a tough game against AU and I hate that we have like a .500 record against them since they joined the conference. I like to think of AU being in the top tier of the SEC and our Arky record was always a legitimate arguement against that. I'm really enjoying the idiocy of bert and look forward to much success against the hogs while he is there (2 years max!)

Our current coach has played them once, and beat them- and their current coach- 35-17 at their house in his first season.

Nothing that has happened between Auburn and Arkansas before that matters anymore. Chizik's ultimate ineffectiveness as a head coach, Tuberville's brain fart in '06, Petrino peaking during some mighty down years for Auburn... none of that has any bearing on what our programs are now.

To wit: UAT and UGA beat Auburn by a combined score of 174-21 in 2011 and 2012, and all 21 of Auburn's points were scored in 2011. Gus Malzahn and many of the same Auburn players beat both of those teams- and their same coaches and starting QBs- in 2013.

Rednilla is right, Arkansas has been- and could again be- a powerhouse. But the fact that Tommy Tuberville took a couple midseason naps in the '00s doesn't in any way mean we should be look at Arkansas as anything more than what they are right now- or ourselves as anything less than what we are right now.

I hope we stomp the sausage out of them.

I don't often co-sign predicted blow outs as i respect all opponents but the Arky game is one i'd glady co-sign a HUGE blow out. I hope we drop 60 or 70 on porky!

It's quite clear he's the total package.

994ebbe997782d8.jpg

That was a while ago. He is 50-70 lbs heavier now.

Guess he works out with a beer can in one hand and a fried chicken drumstick in the other! :)

Gus has a spacious, rent-free condo inside Bert's head.

Quote of the day!!! AUsome!!! :wareagle:

For me, I would also put lsu and ole miss (and uf and uat when we play them) before arky. Granted they've been an annoyance (kinda like msu) but besides cbb's sillinessI just can't work up any passion about them. Which I believe is part of their problem, they're really not on any team's true rivals list so little media coverage to help in out of state recruiting. Again, I think cbb is trying to manufacture a rivalry where none exists.

Methinks, exactly...and my husband adds, "He's trying to become RELEVANT by riding someone else's coattails." He'd better HURRY UP and hang on, if he picks "our" horse...because that bus left a long time ago...

Arky has no natural rival in the sec and I think Bert's just trying to manufacture one. If it wasn't for his antics, would anyone, any where care about Arkansas or even identify correctly on a state map? It's a frantic attemp at any type of relevance. Honestly if it wasn't a slow day I wouldn't have read a thread with Arkansas in the title.

this is a great point as Brett will attempt to seal the borders for Arky recruits to build his program, the biggest threat is an Arky native, therfore you show ne fear. While he will continue to make an ass of himself publicly he is a good coach and can maintain a solid program. AU fans should not waste their energy creating the rivalry back and just let him turn his own fanbase against him, aka WI.

I admittedly giggled a little at this post. Seal the boarders of arky? Like there is a plethora of talent in that state! But they do tend to have a handful of good recruits every year and he does need to pull in all of 'em to be successfull there.

True. Arky, like Tennessee, does not have sufficient state talent to sustain top 20 recruiting so 1) seal the borders and 2) create a buzz so you can recruit texas, Louisiana, ect. How do you create a buzz at Arkansas ? No rivalry game, no real out of state rep, and a coach that has no reputation with recruits in the region. My feeling is it may be possible cbb has some personal issue with cgm (if so, seek counseling), but the real ploy is trying to get anyone beyond Arkansas fans to care (good or bad) about Arkansas.

Per'aps Bielema is trying to restore the grandeur of the Clinton days? :bananadance:

I question the wisdom of a coach openly putting so much emphasis on the opening game. To do it privately, among the team and assistants, is one thing but to make a public show of it is another. If you put all your eggs in the basket of the first game...what happens to your season if you get stomped (which does seem likely from this point of view)?

I'm reminded of Dan Mullen's, "If not now...when?" slogan from a few years back. It quickly turned into, "Well obviously not now, Dan. So...when?"

You do understand that round is a shape also :dunno:

You do understand that round is a shape also :dunno:

I do know Golf, so, yes

This guy is an idiot. I wouldn't be surprised if he was fired by mid season. But I do think he will be gone by years end. I will be shocked if he gets a 3rd season in Arky.

Dumbest SEC hire I think I have ever seen, outside of Lame Kiffen.

This guy is an idiot. I wouldn't be surprised if he was fired by mid season. But I do think he will be gone by years end. I will be shocked if he gets a 3rd season in Arky.

Dumbest SEC hire I think I have ever seen, outside of Lame Kiffen.

I think he will get another year at least, due to a surprise win. Either Texas Tech (OOC), MsSt, Alabama or LSU. They also get Northern Illinois and will probably beat them which the hogs will tout as a great win since NIU was so good last year, but in the end will not be as good this year, so the win over them will not be that impressive. I think they end up 5-7 and 1-8 in the SEC. Blind hogs will say it is improvement and one more year they will be contending for the West.

True. Arky, like Tennessee, does not have sufficient state talent to sustain top 20 recruiting so 1) seal the borders and 2) create a buzz so you can recruit texas, Louisiana, ect. How do you create a buzz at Arkansas ? No rivalry game, no real out of state rep, and a coach that has no reputation with recruits in the region. My feeling is it may be possible cbb has some personal issue with cgm (if so, seek counseling), but the real ploy is trying to get anyone beyond Arkansas fans to care (good or bad) about Arkansas.

Per'aps Bielema is trying to restore the grandeur of the Clinton days? :bananadance:

you can laugh at what you want, but the first step of developing and creating a core for a program comes from within, have witnessed it happen. remember WI beating Auburn in 2006, yeah the hot bed of WI and the 10 D1 recruits a year, on a good year, at that time, won. So don't be an arrogant JA, they develop a bunch of players not wanted by anoyone to be a team, the same philosophy Gus pushes and if Brett is smart enough he will follow Mr Alveraz footprint. Hate when our fans make us look like pompous asses without having a clue

"you can laugh at what you want, but the first step of developing and creating a core for a program comes from within, have witnessed it happen. remember WI beating Auburn in 2006, yeah the hot bed of WI and the 10 D1 recruits a year, on a good year, at that time, won. So don't be an arrogant JA, they develop a bunch of players not wanted by anoyone to be a team, the same philosophy Gus pushes and if Brett is smart enough he will follow Mr Alveraz footprint. Hate when our fans make us look like pompous asses without having a clue"

Who is they? Wisconsin or Arkansas? bert better be developing the heck outta some players pretty damn quick. Im not being an arrogant jackass, I just dont thnk bert is that good of a coach. That game you referenced in 2006 has no bearing on the game between AU and Arkansas. I hope Auburn punks the hawgs by 5 TDs. bert is the only arrogant jackass involved the deal. He looked like he was going to cry when he shook hands with Gus post game last year. I hope he ends up crying uncontrollably this year. Dont like the guy and not going to pretend otherwise.

The Wisconsin game was lost before we ever stepped on the field. Pre-game Tubbs announced that bowls were meant to have fun. The team had their fun before the game and was totally unprepared. Wisconsin on the other hand saved the fun for after the game and came on the field ready to play and handed our rear ends to us.

I doubt CGM will show up with an unprepared team.

The Wisconsin game was lost before we ever stepped on the field. Pre-game Tubbs announced that bowls were meant to have fun. The team had their fun before the game and was totally unprepared. Wisconsin on the other hand saved the fun for after the game and came on the field ready to play and handed our rear ends to us.

I doubt CGM will show up with an unprepared team.

agree 100%

Archived