Alabama's defensive players struggle in the NFL

Shift

Honestly I think this applies to Alabama on both sides of the ball. Alabama leads all SEC teams in recent 1st round draft picks but comparatively few of them made much of an impact at the next level. Marcell Dareus and Julio Jones are the only names that spring to mind who've lived up to their billing. Roman Harper, Trent Richardson, Mark Ingram, Mark Barron, Terrance Cody, Rolando McClain, Kareem Jackson, Andre Smith, Javier Arenas, Dee Miliner, and more. The list goes on and on and on.

But yet Auburn has been discredited by some NFL experts/scouts for having a "high school" offense?

I'd like to know which NFL experts or NFL scouts have discredited Auburn's offense and called it "high school". This site would have BLOWN UP if an NFL scout had made that comment about Auburn.

Some have certainly stated or alluded to such. I don't recall the article but there was one article where a couple NFL scouts criticized Nick 5-6 games into the season. Basically they referred that Nick’s success was more so related to the “system” we run and not the fact that he does in fact have good QB skills. The whole DB to QB deal and that most any athletic guy could play QB in Gus’s system and have some sort of success.

It was similar to the Cam criticism and they stated that Cam was different as he has other attributes like his size and is a better passer. I mean who knows if those scouts/experts were any good anyway b/c there are certainly some bad teams in the NFL so it wasn’t that big of a deal b/c some scouts say stupid stuff all the time anyway.

In all fairness, 5-6 games into the season, Nick did not look very much like an NFL QB. Even by the championship game, there were major flaws in his passing game. If they are still saying things like that 5-6 games into this season, I'll buy the bias argument.

GR helps our case, as does our 3 star Dee Ford. Tre will do well in the NFL like most of our RBs (that dont catch the injury bug).

Tre will have a better pro career than ANY of the turd running backs in the league! He is being overlooked IMO

Just announced today that the saints don't pick up Ingrams 5th year option for 2015. Meaning (if I read it right) he'll be a free agent after 2014 season (and I wouldn't at all be surprised if that ended his nfl career). He's been a joke since he played at uat and a bigger joke in the pros. Him winning the heisman trophy was the biggest joke of them all. Richardson will continue to average about 3 yards a carry for the next season or two then he'll be done as well.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10877035/mark-ingram-option-exercised-new-orleans-saints

Just announced today that the saints don't pick up Ingrams 5th year option for 2015. Meaning (if I read it right) he'll be a free agent after 2014 season (and I wouldn't at all be surprised if that ended his nfl career). He's been a joke since he played at uat and a bigger joke in the pros. Him winning the heisman trophy was the biggest joke of them all. Richardson will continue to average about 3 yards a carry for the next season or two then he'll be done as well.

http://espn.go.com/n...-orleans-saints

I said it then and I will say it now. Ingram was the "feel good" vote for heisman and lots of folks just couldn't resist.

If I'm not mistaken, Kiper made a comment that the NFL guys that he has talked to said that the bammer players when they come into the league have no upside...in other words they have developed as high as they can. Bottom line: the NFL guys are not smelling what the Rock is cooking anymore.

The guy said Cam would be a bust and Carolina should not waste their pick on him as he comes from a system that doesn't translate to the nfl. Said a whole lot more,including saying Nick Saban exposed Cam to what he would be like in nfl, but praises everything that comes out of bama

Well, if by that he meant that Spanky proved that Cam was a winner, someone who could take some punishment, a come-back king, cool under pressure, someone that will beat you with his arm or his legs, someone that can rally his offense around him, someone that can spot you 24 points and still beat you, and a future Pro-Bowler, then Mayock was right on the money!

Ingram wasn't picked up for the 5th year because he would get paid over 5 million. Unless you are Adrian Peterson, you aren't getting that kind of money these days as a rb. Ingram is an OK back with limited vision, he still has a couple more years left.

Guest WarEagleSteve

Honestly I think this applies to Alabama on both sides of the ball. Alabama leads all SEC teams in recent 1st round draft picks but comparatively few of them made much of an impact at the next level. Marcell Dareus and Julio Jones are the only names that spring to mind who've lived up to their billing. Roman Harper, Trent Richardson, Mark Ingram, Mark Barron, Terrance Cody, Rolando McClain, Kareem Jackson, Andre Smith, Javier Arenas, Dee Miliner, and more. The list goes on and on and on.

But yet Auburn has been discredited by some NFL experts/scouts for having a "high school" offense?

I'd like to know which NFL experts or NFL scouts have discredited Auburn's offense and called it "high school". This site would have BLOWN UP if an NFL scout had made that comment about Auburn.

Some have certainly stated or alluded to such. I don't recall the article but there was one article where a couple NFL scouts criticized Nick 5-6 games into the season. Basically they referred that Nick’s success was more so related to the “system” we run and not the fact that he does in fact have good QB skills. The whole DB to QB deal and that most any athletic guy could play QB in Gus’s system and have some sort of success.

It was similar to the Cam criticism and they stated that Cam was different as he has other attributes like his size and is a better passer. I mean who knows if those scouts/experts were any good anyway b/c there are certainly some bad teams in the NFL so it wasn’t that big of a deal b/c some scouts say stupid stuff all the time anyway.

In all fairness, 5-6 games into the season, Nick did not look very much like an NFL QB. Even by the championship game, there were major flaws in his passing game. If they are still saying things like that 5-6 games into this season, I'll buy the bias argument.

Honestly, I don't know if I can agree with you, simply because QB is the most hotly debated (and hardest to project) position. Unless you're Andrew Luck, every single quarterback coming out of college is going to be picked apart, analyzed, and over analyzed to the point of absurdity until they're drafted. Cam is a Pro Bowler and widely acknowledged as one of the best young QBs around and everyone here remembers the scrutiny he went through. Russell Wilson was too short, RGIII played in the wrong offense, Kaepernick wasn't a good passer, etc. etc. I hate to say it but unless you are 6'4-ish 230 lbs-ish pocket passer who plays in a pro-style offense, preferably with a proven NFL name as your coach, you won't "look like an NFL quarterback".

Ingram wasn't picked up for the 5th year because he would get paid over 5 million. Unless you are Adrian Peterson, you aren't getting that kind of money these days as a rb. Ingram is an OK back with limited vision, he still has a couple more years left.

Lmfao!!!!!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10877035/mark-ingram-option-exercised-new-orleans-saints

Truth!!

I have to agree agree with WarEagleSteve on this topic. It is actually something that I've tallked about quite a bit. For one reason or another Alabama players just don't seem to live up to the hype they get in the NFL. Other than Julio Jones and Marcell Dareus, James carpenter (G for the Seahawks) is the only Saban project that has done anything worth writing home about... And the Seahawks are even waiving his fifth year option. As for Lacy, I'm gonna give him a chance. Losing Aaron Rogers puts a lot of pressure on an NFL run game. He seemed to respond relatively well.

P.s. Carpenter has only played in 1 postseason game with the Seahawks. He played in the superbowl due to injury.

Other than Julio Jones and Marcell Dareus, James carpenter (G for the Seahawks) is the only Saban project that has done anything worth writing home about... And the Seahawks are even waiving his fifth year option.

Dareus was picked up on felony possession charges Monday night in Cleburne county.

http://profootballta...ana-possession/

Archived