2014 Fall Practice - Day 3

RunInRed

Catching up on Day 3 ...

Ellis Johnson: "All three practices we've had excellent retention and carry over from the spring…we're still making a few little mistakes."

Johnson on LB rotation: "I'm not satisfied after our two (first-team) linebackers (McKinzy & Frost) … That's a mad scramble right now."

Johnson on star Justin Garrett: "If that kid could have a full season of games, he could still be one of our (biggest) playmakers."

Johnson on defensive rotation: "There's going to be some musical chairs over the next few weeks now. ... I can foresee some position moves."

Johnson says the coaches would prefer Joshua Holsey at CB and Derrick Moncrief at safety: "That's kind of how we want it to work out."

Johnson says freshmen "make a flash play" now and then. Said freshman Markell Boston made 2 really good plays today.

Johnson on DE LaDarius Owens being a bigger pass rusher in 2014: "With Carl not being in the lineup, I think he's going to have to be."

Johnson on McKinzy: "He's been good, really good. He's had complete control of our front. Kris is sharp too." Names Frost as better leader.

Johnson says Rodney Garner was impressed with the progress of JUCO DEs DaVonte Lambert & Devaroe Lawrence during offseason workouts.

Ellis Johnson on FS Rudy Ford: "Rudy jumps out at me right now, he's a different player from the spring."

@AUBlog

Johnson on Josh Holsey: "He has some cover skills and corner skills so we wanted to move him back over to boundary corner."

Johnson on Gabe Wright: "He might be the best defensive end, but he also might be the best defensive tackle."

@wareagleextra

BuH47BcIMAAXqzj.jpg

"We're a lot more aggressive than last year," says linebacker Cassanova McKinzy of Auburn's defense after three fall practices

Best leader among Auburn linebackers? Kris Frost, says defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson

Gabe Wright at DE? "It's going to depend more on other players than Gabe." D-coordinator Ellis Johnson said Wright could be best DE, or DT

Auburn D-coordinator Ellis Johnson: "Going to be some musical chairs in next two weeks. I can foresee some position moves but not right now"

@AUGoldMine

10592820_546369815466954_3737326634274301909_n.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Gabe Wright at DE? "It's going to depend more on other players than Gabe." D-coordinator Ellis Johnson said Wright could be best DE, or DT"

Wonder if this has anything to do with Lawson hurt?

I think it means guys like Daniel,President,and Owens need to step up.

It's going to be really important to keep Cass/Frost healthy this year, otherwise we may be forced to throw some true freshmen out there.

I'd love to see Rudy Ford get some real playing time this year too.

It's going to be really important to keep Cass/Frost healthy this year, otherwise we may be forced to throw some true freshmen out there.

I'd love to see Rudy Ford get some real playing time this year too.

I would say they're our most important LB duo since Josh Bynes and Craig Stevens.

Lots of love here for ole Ellis. He's a straight shooter with the press and did a decent job in Columbia, hope he does someting with the talent & experience at his disposal this season. Our D has been SEC lower half in virtually every category since he came to AU and the "injuries are not his fault" crowd are already appearing.

Lots of love here for ole Ellis. He's a straight shooter with the press and did a decent job in Columbia, hope he does someting with the talent & experience at his disposal this season. Our D has been SEC lower half in virtually every category since he came to AU and the "injuries are not his fault" crowd are already appearing.

He has only been here one season.

Doesn't matter Plaric. He should have been able to take that bad D from 13, installed a new D, and had those guys ranked in the top 25 defences before the year was out. Don't believe me? Just ask ole canuck....

FWIW, there are some quotes from CEJ in an article I found (Link: http://www.annistonstar.com/sports/article_ef32dc36-1b7e-11e4-8c30-0019bb2963f4.html) that suggest that Cass McKinzy will play some DE for us this year.

"Every time I can steal time from my practice schedule to get Cass over there to (defensive line coach) Rodney (Garner)," defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson said. "He needs the skill sets with his handwork and his footwork because he's probably as far as the first step, the ability to flip his hips, drop his hips, the power that you have to have sometimes to be a good pass rusher, he's got them all."

"We'll eventually, hopefully, get him involved in that pass rush group if he can bring something to the table."

"When he blitzes; then when we go one-on-one with the running backs he's the best I've got, with them trying to block him," Johnson said. "He's gotten up to around 250 maybe a little more. He's still one of the quicker kids we've got."

EDIT: formatting, because my post was intercepted by the Aliens and (through them) the NSA, one of which changed all of the ' marks to ’.

Wow that would be pretty surprising to see Cass at the end position. Sounds like the coaches are really looking hard to find people who can pressure the QB

Cass is listed at 6'3 249. Lawson is listed at 6'2 261, and Dee Ford is listed at 6'2 252. I'm seeing his 40 time at 4.65-4.70, which is about a tenth of a second slower than Ford and about on par with Lawson.

Just thought I'd share those numbers here, in case anybody else was curious. None of that suggests what kind of pass rusher he'll be compared to those guys, but it's at least worth noting that he's very much in their realm metrics-wise.

Not sure about arm length, but it's possible that he would have an advantage getting his arms up to bat down passes, since he's a bit taller.

I guess the question is, what does the front 7 alignment look like if he's playing 3 technique? Does that just mean he's one of 2 DLs and somebody else is playing MLB? I know I'm making a big deal out of a couple comments from CEJ, but it's early August, sooooo...

So, you really expected 'ole Ellis' to crank out an SEC quality defense in year one and essentially correct overnight 4 seasons of what was taught under the previous staff?

Such haughty expectations after a sample size of one season, wouldn't ya say?

canuck definitely believes Ellis should've walked on water last year. Anything short was pure disappointment. We were as bad defensively as any team I've seen in 2012. We were much better last year, and we're going to continue improving, in spite of the personnel losses.

I'm excited about our back seven. There are multiple ways to dominate a game. At Auburn, we're used to controlling the game with the front four, but it can be done from the back (basically allowing more bodies forward and giving extra time to the pass rush). If Moncrief is as good as advertised and Holsey regains his form at boundary CB, we've got a shot at that kind of coverage in the back. A Safety rotation of Whitehead, Moncrief, and Ford has a ton of potential. Find one more guy, and you've got a full house.

Cass is listed at 6'3 249. Lawson is listed at 6'2 261, and Dee Ford is listed at 6'2 252. I'm seeing his 40 time at 4.65-4.70, which is about a tenth of a second slower than Ford and about on par with Lawson.

Just thought I'd share those numbers here, in case anybody else was curious. None of that suggests what kind of pass rusher he'll be compared to those guys, but it's at least worth noting that he's very much in their realm metrics-wise.

Not sure about arm length, but it's possible that he would have an advantage getting his arms up to bat down passes, since he's a bit taller.

I guess the question is, what does the front 7 alignment look like if he's playing 3 technique? Does that just mean he's one of 2 DLs and somebody else is playing MLB? I know I'm making a big deal out of a couple comments from CEJ, but it's early August, sooooo...

My guess would be in the dime package, bring in both Therezie and Garrett as star/safeties shifting Cass into a rush end position and Frost into the middle where we know he is capable especially when bracketed by two studs allowing either Gabe or Owens,if the light comes on the other side. If Owens does play then Gabe can move inside with Adams and we have tons of speed talent and violence running wild on 3rd and long or pass heavy downs

My guess would be in the dime package, bring in both Therezie and Garrett as star/safeties shifting Cass into a rush end position and Frost into the middle where we know he is capable especially when bracketed by two studs allowing either Gabe or Owens,if the light comes on the other side. If Owens does play then Gabe can move inside with Adams and we have tons of speed talent and violence running wild on 3rd and long or pass heavy downs

He wouldn't necessarily have to play with his hand in the dirt either. If I remember correctly, CEJ likes to use DE's who play standing up (or at least I think he did at SCAR)

He wouldn't necessarily have to play with his hand in the dirt either. If I remember correctly, CEJ likes to use DE's who play standing up (or at least I think he did at SCAR)

He did it with Lawson against Ole Miss so he could see the exchange immediately. Other teams adopted this shortly after that game. Watch some late season film and most teams start doing it against us.

He did it with Lawson against Ole Miss so he could see the exchange immediately. Other teams adopted this shortly after that game. Watch some late season film and most teams start doing it against us.

Good stuff, guys, thanks for the info.

Wow that would be pretty surprising to see Cass at the end position. Sounds like the coaches are really looking hard to find people who can pressure the QB

They are not moving him to end. He will only play there in obvious passing situations. It will be a special package.

Archived