2014 Fall Practice - Day 3

RunInRed

Scouts evaluate player talent period, it is a very specialized job. They would not be the ones there to evaluate CGM's playbook etc. If executives, head coaches, or coordinators were there, then it would be a different story.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Auburn had a big group of punt returners back during practice: Marcus Davis, Robenson Therezie, Jonathon Mincy, Quan Bray, Markell Boston, Stephen Roberts, Gray King and Rudy Ford all took punts back there.

Corey Grant and Ricardo Louis were the only return men back on kickoffs.

Kinda surprised Roc is not getting a chance at returning kicks.

It may just be that they want Roc to focus on the offensive playbook first so that he has everything down by the time the season starts. That way, we could put him in and see what he can do immediately. IMO he'll be more of a factor at RB than KR anyway.

Kamryn Pettway is a very good back. He could easily be a factor just like Roc, but probably a couple of years down the road. Go watch his highlights.

KR=Kick Returns

Just found a quote from Lashlee that was pretty interesting concerning QB size:

"Lashlee said that both Marshall and Johnson added weight over the summer as prescribed by strength coach Ryan Russell. Lashlee estimated that Marshall gained about 10 to 12 pounds and was in the vicinity of 212 to 215 pounds. Johnson was up to approximately 228 pounds, 10 pounds more than he was during spring practice." -SaturdayDownSouth

Link: http://www.saturdayd...opment-lashlee/

Good to hear

My goodness, this actual football talk has me giddy.

Is it a bad sign that I read that in Vern's voice?

LOL. I'll hate him and Gary again by midseason, I'm sure, but I have to admit that I miss those clowns and I can't wait to hear that CBS intro music.

Scouts evaluate player talent period, it is a very specialized job. They would not be the ones there to evaluate CGM's playbook etc. If executives, head coaches, or coordinators were there, then it would be a different story.

The quote said "representatives". I don't follow the NFL in depth. Are the Giants, Steelers, or Bills looking for a new coach?

Well, the Bills hired Doug Marrone last year. The Steelers have Mike Tomlin (so that's a resounding no), and the Giants have Tom Coughlin until he decides to leave. They'll never fire him.

But each of those teams could be looking at practice methods to install aspects of the HUNH. That's entirely feasible.

Auburn D-coordinator Ellis Johnson: "Going to be some musical chairs in next two weeks. I can foresee some position moves but not right now"

Is anybody else just a little concerned that in year 2 under EJ, we still dont know what position alot of guys are going to play? These guys only get 4-5 years...using 2 of them not even knowing what position they are seems to waste alot of proper practice time IYAM.. I understand things happen and guys can get shuffled a bit, but this seems to just be ongoing, not merely situational.

Go watch the entire press conference Q&A. Context matters, and you don't have it. No, I am not concerned. And if you actually watched or listened to what CEJ had to say in context, you wouldn't be either. Just the opposite in fact.

was there no thread about yesterday's practice?

The only things I saw from it were the official Twitter account photos and some quotes from CRL

I need my fix... I'm getting the shakes over here.

The only things I saw from it were the official Twitter account photos and some quotes from CRL

Rhett had some prett interesting quotes, I feel like it should've warranted a thread. Some good info as far as QB goes especially.

Rhett had some prett interesting quotes, I feel like it should've warranted a thread. Some good info as far as QB goes especially.

Feel free to share. I had a super busy day yesterday and didn't have time to check anything.

Feel free to share. I had a super busy day yesterday and didn't have time to check anything.

Notes from Al.com:

** Lashlee says it's good that Auburn was out in the heat in pads. It's going to be hot in the season opener.

** Nick Marshall has been "pretty sharp." He's throwing the ball pretty well."

** Jeremy Johnson has looked good. "With my guys, it's been business as usual."

** Lashlee wants Johnson to kind of take the next step, he knows the offense, he knows what he's doing, now he wants the sophomore to make a leap.

** For the most part, they're splitting reps well.

** On day 2, Nick Marshall was 15 of 17 in the second practice, and he's been pretty solid.

** Lashlee says he's "really pleased" with the freshmen, particularly Sean White at quarterback, even though "his head's spinning."

** Roc Thomas and Kamryn Pettway, nicknamed "Bubba" by Tim Horton, have shown out well, both with athleticism and quickness.

** Jakell Mitchell has made some really good catches.

** Braden Smith could be called Drago by his teammates, but Lashlee calls him the Hulk.

** Lashlee, speaking about Avery Young, says it's easier to move from tackle to guard than it is to move from guard out to tackle.

** "Avery's the guy on our line that could probably play all five spots."

** Behind the guards, Devonte Danzey has pleased the coaches with his progress, they think he's matured, and Jordan Diamond is back after the spring. He's competing with Will Adams for the second spot at right guard.

** Austin Golson's injury is minor. Lashlee says he'll be back soon.

** Lashlee on D'haquille Williams. "So far, he's been great without the ball, he's making the plays when he gets the opportunity."

** Lashlee echoes Malzahn, saying that once the pads go on, the real key is the live work that the younger guys get.

** On the possibilities of sign stealing, Lashlee says you don't want to give other teams too much credit, but the Tigers do some things to stay ahead of it.

** Lashlee keeps emphasizing that it's only four days in, says there's only so much you can learn.

** The key for Brandon Fulse in replacing Jay Prosch? Know he's Brandon Fulse, not Jay.

Full video on AuburnSports.com that was free: https://auburn.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1666106

Idk what's going on with the updates but I've been checking Ryan Black's updates and articles. http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/war-eagle-extra/

Today's was the last practice with an open session for the media. Said Austin Golson, Chad Slade, Trovon Reed, and Devaroe Lawrence were not in pads, in fact he said they didn't see Lawrence out there. Marshall and Johnson were still splitting reps at 1st team. Roc Thomas and Stanton Truitt were the KRs along with Louis, Grant, and Ford. Devonte Danzey was in with the 1st string at left guard while Slade is out.

I wouldn't be too worried about guys sitting out. It happens alot in both Fall and Spring camps - alot of time with no contact, just workouts in shorts and then boom, you're going full speed and guys will get knicked up. I got the impression that Slade, Reed, and Golson are in the "knicked up" category and will likely return within a few days. No doubt there will be a semi-major injury that keeps 1 or 2 guys out of action for the first game or two but I bet most of these guys will be able to play without an issue.

Archived