Auburn's schedule has gone 2 steps forward and one step back

Dual-Threat Rigby

Bo Wallace and Ole Miss really looked good in that 4th quarter. The old adage that a team has it's biggest improvement from Week 1 to Week 2 will come out for Ole Miss I believe. Bo had a rough first 3 quarters, but I think they look much better next week and those who were talking about how bad Bo looked will be eating crow.

FYI : The head ball coach is the one with the steak,dating back to his Duke days.

I normally love me a good steak, but I'm staying away from one that old. :icon_exclaim:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

So am I!

FWIW, they did say on ESPN this morning that Carolina was riding an 18 game home opener winning streak. That may mean only that they are mistaken (or misteaken, as would be anyone who tried to eat a steak that old).

Bo Wallace and Ole Miss really looked good in that 4th quarter. The old adage that a team has it's biggest improvement from Week 1 to Week 2 will come out for Ole Miss I believe. Bo had a rough first 3 quarters, but I think they look much better next week and those who were talking about how bad Bo looked will be eating crow.

That was the same Bo Wallace that has been at Ole Miss for the last two years. You just never know what you are going to get. All the reports from Ole Miss this summer were that his decision making had gotten much better, but good grief, the way he was locking onto receivers last night was beyond unacceptable for a QB of his tenure. While he can come out and play well like he did in the second half, as an Ole Miss grad, I will never trust him. Ole Miss will most certainly be much improved next week, specifically in the penalty department, but I won't hold my breath on Bo Wallace.

I think your overstating things a bit. Both teams had major unanswered questions. I thought SC would be the better of the two, but it didn't show tonight. But it's week 1 so we will see if SC re groups and if TAMU just got lucky or not in the weeks to come.

Kenny HIll is a RS Sophomore and looked like the next coming of Jesus last night.

TAMU wasn't lucky, Sumlin does this everywhere, and that defense was pretty dang solid. Two busted plays from keeeping THE offensive guru to 2 TDs.

Sc's QB looked terrified from the first snap and his inconsistent throws cost them big.

They dropped a TD pass before the half that would have helped. And then the kicker couldn't man up and keep the onside kick.

Overall sc could have won but their defense looked like garbage more than A&M looked impressive. They ran screens and draws at a hurry up pace and that's all they had to call.

That's basically saying TAMU could've had two national championships in as many years, but their defense was just garbage.

Hill was the #1 QB in Texas three years ago....he's being coached by an excellent QB coach/OC; Spavital worked for Gus at one point. The offensive line is outstanding...and they have 3 RB's that could play for just about anyone. They ran effectively and had some big runs in key situations. Any questions on Hill have been answered. His release was quicker than most anyone I've seen except Manziel and Aaron Murray recently.

Their D was improved. They had two major coverage busts in the 1H; Everette looked lost...he has gotten worse each year. 4 PI calls...2 dubious. They played well against the run; and got penetration early on and had good pressure. Depth is a concern...but they have 12 D-lineman they are trying to play; 7 or them are Freshmen. LB play/depth is a concern; and they lost the best one to injury last night...unclear on his situation.

This will be a very different game vs last year when they come to Auburn...should be exciting.

USC has historically struggled in home openers. aTm has good talent and Sumlin can coach. I don't think USC is as bad as they looked and I doubt aTm keeps it up at that pace. I wish this game could have been played week 2 or 3. With the way UM looks against BSU - we better have our butts in gear for arky and avoid the week 1 slump.

SC won 18 openers in a row until tonight. I hope we struggle like that for the next 18 years.

I believe South Carolina had an 18 game home winning streak until tonight. They went 0-11 in 1999 so it couldn't have been on an 18-0 opener streak.

Struggled - not lost. I did not expect them to get blown out but given a line of 10.5 for this game I took the Aggies.

Auburn will be locked in this season and not overlooking any opponents...hearing a lot of talking heads saying maybe we should take a closer look at Auburn/Alabama since aTm dominated SC...talking heads got it wrong this time...SC was overhyped and atm was not given much credit....i already knew SC's defense wouldn't be great but i'm more shocked at the QB play...you would think Dylan Thompson has never played in a big game before...but like many have said it's week one...let's see how they look in the next couple of weeks

USC has historically struggled in home openers. aTm has good talent and Sumlin can coach. I don't think USC is as bad as they looked and I doubt aTm keeps it up at that pace. I wish this game could have been played week 2 or 3. With the way UM looks against BSU - we better have our butts in gear for arky and avoid the week 1 slump.

SC won 18 openers in a row until tonight. I hope we struggle like that for the next 18 years.

I believe South Carolina had an 18 game home winning streak until tonight. They went 0-11 in 1999 so it couldn't have been on an 18-0 opener streak.

Struggled - not lost. I did not expect them to get blown out but given a line of 10.5 for this game I took the Aggies.

Also - it was 18 SEC home games IIRC. Their last home opener loss was to UGA in, i believe, 2006. They have only covered the spread twice since 2005 that I know of with a couple of nail biters along the way. Just to clarify - I am talking about the first home game of each season. Not necessarily the first game.

Anyone want to dare guess at the over/under for the Auburn/A&M game?

Gotta be pushing 90.

I was thinking low 80's

Ole Miss's defense looks pretty legit, but I continue to be proven right the Bo Wallace is inconsistent and overrated.

SC looks like they will be the disappointment of the year in the SEC. I never really understood why people were so high on them. Lost a lot on defense and no Connor Shaw.

A&M now definitely looks tough but we get them at home.

Ole Miss's defense looks pretty legit, but I continue to be proven right the Bo Wallace is inconsistent and overrated.

SC looks like they will be the disappointment of the year in the SEC. I never really understood why people were so high on them. Lost a lot on defense and no Connor Shaw.

A&M now definitely looks tough but we get them at home.

SC got them at home also, how did that turn out?

I was surprised. SC has a very experienced offensive line and was supposed to have an excellent running game. Even if Davis is hurting, they should have still been able to run the ball with their remaining RBs. But they really didn't try. Even early in the game, they were flinging it around rather than establishing the run. 65% pass plays on offense and only 50% of the passes completed. Dreadful.

But of greater benefit for A&M was the abysmal USCe defense. No pass rush and wide open prairies in the defensive secondary. I'm not sure Hill is the wonder boy passer, or if it was just pitch and catch to wide open receivers that made him look so wonderful.

I think A&M will not find things so easy against West teams, but they certainly put a royal beat down on the Gamecocks.

oops. Not the first time I heard something wrong, I'm afraid. I stand corrected.

FYI : The head ball coach is the one with the steak,dating back to his Duke days.

You mean Florida right?

SC DB's weren't within 5 yards of the receivers for each of their catches from what I saw.

I think SC expected to walk in and dominate because Johnny Football wasn't there. They got their butts beat because of it.

Archived