Shanghai to San Francisco in 100 minutes?

cooltigger21

The title is a bit misleading: "moving closer." That's like saying we're "moving closer" to resurrecting Ted Williams' frozen head. The technical problems to overcome are still enormous. Think of the amount of rocket fuel needed to travel 10,000+ miles. And then there are the steering & avoiding collision issues at hypersonic speeds. Yep ... moving closer.

The title is a bit misleading: "moving closer." That's like saying we're "moving closer" to resurrecting Ted Williams' frozen head. The technical problems to overcome are still enormous. Think of the amount of rocket fuel needed to travel 10,000+ miles. And then there are the steering & avoiding collision issues at hypersonic speeds. Yep ... moving closer.

I never implied imminent. The fact that they have come as far as they have is noteworthy. In reality it's more indicative of the mindset of the Chinese than the actual implementation of the technology. They are moving full steam ahead with building their military while POTUS and others dither and bury their heads n the sand about them

At that speed all you need is a steel fence to cause it to split up on impact.

As an aerospace engineer with a lot of aerodynamic experience you will excuse me for thinking this is nice in theory but not realistic. Of course when I first went to work at NASA and grew up with the original 7 astronauts, I used to think we were all crazy for thinking about man landing on the moon.Gus Grissom used to chide me for not being a believer

As an aerospace engineer with a lot of aerodynamic experience you will excuse me for thinking this is nice in theory but not realistic. Of course when I first went to work at NASA and grew up with the original 7 astronauts, I used to think we were all crazy for thinking about man landing on the moon.Gus Grissom used to chide me for not being a believer

You aint gonna walk on no moon just cause some dam librul president done told ya ya could. This aint nuthin but a librul waste of time and money.

... They are moving full steam ahead with building their military while POTUS and others dither and bury their heads n the sand about them

I understand this may represent your personal opinion of POTUS & Co...which is fine, you may base your opinion on many things you've read/observed.

But that opinion is not supported by the linked article, which in fact says:

Besides Russia, countries such as Germany, Iran and the United States have been developing vessels or weapons using supercavitation technology.

Now, are the Chinese further ahead than we are? Who knows? While this article refers to research apparently done under the auspices of Harbin Institute of Technology and released to the general public, I suspect the actual military status of such technology is a secret closely guarded in any of the nations mentioned. No one knew just how far we had progressed in stealth technology until the public revelations of the F-117 and B-2.

... They are moving full steam ahead with building their military while POTUS and others dither and bury their heads n the sand about them

I understand this may represent your personal opinion of POTUS & Co...which is fine, you may base your opinion on many things you've read/observed.

Besides Russia, countries such as Germany, Iran and the United States have been developing vessels or weapons using supercavitation technology.

Now, are the Chinese further ahead than we are? Who knows? While this article refers to research apparently done under the auspices of Harbin Institute of Technology and released to the general public, I suspect the actual military status of such technology is a secret closely guarded in any of the nations mentioned. No one knew just how far we had progressed in stealth technology until the public revelations of the F-117 and B-2.

I am not speaking of our development of a similar type of technology. I am referring to their obliviousness or just plain ignoring of the intentions of the Chinese, Russia and pretty much every other bad actor in this world.

I am not speaking of our development of a similar type of technology. I am referring to their obliviousness or just plain ignoring of the intentions of the Chinese, Russia and pretty much every other bad actor in this world.

I understand that that is your opinion. I acknowledge that you have many grievances against Obama. I'm merely pointing out that this particular article provides no basis for that belief. You are certainly entitled to feel that way, and other stories/issues may have led you to that conclusion.

But there is nothing in this particular report that gives ammunition to the "Damn Obama" crowd. I'm just reacting to what I perceived as another case of "Let's blame Obama!" without any basis. Nothing in this article implied that there was a worrisome strategic gap between us and China in this technology or that somehow the Obama Administration is responsible for such an assumed gap. Neither did anything in the article lead me to even think about the status of our other military forces or technologies. Obama never crossed my mind in reading the article, either.

Of course, I feel no compulsion/obsession to either love or hate, defend or attack, our current POTUS in everything he does. Quite frankly, I expect the gridlock in Washington to continue at least until the end of his term, because to me, leaders of both parties seem more intent on attacking the other than on doing their job of working together for the benefit of the country.

However, I admit I see the Republicans as being the more intransigent of the two. But that is merely my opinion and I am not offended by anyone feeling differently.

Archived